Sign in to follow this  
RiZzah

Rape in DayZ (apparently

So I was reading the Telegraph today, an article about GTA players creating a mod to allow them to virtually "rape" another online player.

Read here:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11030801/Grand-Theft-Auto-video-game-male-avatars-are-virtually-raping-women.html

I got a little further down (After reading through complete drivel, written by someone who hasn't the faintest idea) and I notice DayZ gets a mention..

This is on the Telegraph too, which took me back a little.

Turns out, us putting bags over peoples heads and saying jokey things we never would in real life is getting taken seriously by a few.

Now Im worried.. How long before an actual Rapist blames a game like DayZ or GTA?

We know its all codwash, but this is what the media likes to do, they like to scaremonger.

Have a read of this blog by a precious little lady called Kim Correa (Who should stick to Hello Kitty online as far as Im concerned)

http://kiimpulsively.wordpress.com/2014/03/06/dayz/

What are your thoughts on this? I hope this topic doesn't get locked, as I believe this could get MUCH wider attention especially if this game goes to PS4...

Thoughts?

That's because media outlets such as the telegraph are interested in attracting readers, not in actually being accurate, and if one way to do that is to somehow tack it onto as many of those "triggers" as possible then that's what they'll do. Throw up a story about how a guy robs a store and you'll get a few people tut and say "Some people are just stupid", but if you said that a guy robbed a store after playing videogames and you'll have people hurled into fits of rage over how these crazy things are manipulating today's youth and teaching them that it's perfectly okay to do these things.

EDIT: I don't get why everyone's hurling a fit at OP. He didn't write the article, and whether he linked it or not doesn't change the fact that the article still exists. It's a pretty valid topic of discussion as far as I'm concerned as long as nobody's suggesting we actually implement something like that, so calm your tits, folks.

Edited by Rage VG
  • Like 1

Well, here we have it. The first console player on the forums.

Seems to be going pretty well..... Annnnnnnd dayZ is being ruined

And I thought it was a simple-cunning low-grade troll half-wit mass-idiot griefer numbscull dude

but - you're RIGHT !

when I look closer .. its a console playerrrr!

• Like 1

Where did I agree with any of it? I suggest you either re read my posts or google "reading comprehension" and begin to educate yourself.

I never said you did. I called you a media shill for spreading this nonsense - you see those words just before the part you quoted - and you say I've got reading comprehension issues...

Edited by Boshed

I was once told I was gonna be raped while playing FIFA...

Exactly, and according to most COD players they've all banged my mum. Doesn't mean its true, or is going to happen.

But heres the thing, if someone pretends to rape me ingame, I'd crouch down and play along for a laugh. We're not all wired the same though, and there are those out there that take MASSIVE offense to jokes, I mean theres some pretty risque stuff that Frankie Boyles come out with in the past that have literally made me cry with laughter.

I can see the funny side, and I can differentiate "Real world" to "Fantasy world"

If any of you have the "The Purge" then you can see how games might actually provide an area for people to act out their sick fantasies, and if some care bear lady is on the receiving end, it might not be funny for all parties involved.

And for the record, nowhere have I said I agree with any of that sensationalist arguement.

This game is coming to PS4, the spotlight will draw much closer. To date, there has never been an experience like DayZ on a console.

Now lets add kids to the equation, kids which should NOT be playing DayZ but WILL be playing DayZ just as they are now.

Whether they've snook into their brothers bedroom to play, or whether their parents bought them the game, the cries will be as deafening as unloading a 75 rnd AKM clip.

I can almost taste the tears..

Any multiplayer game that has:

1) VOIP; and

2) character poses such crouching and lying down

will be subject to these functions being exploited by irresponsible (for want of a better word) members of its playerbase. I don't think there is any way around it.

There is always the option to exit the game if you are uncomfortable with what another player is doing around you; perhaps voice comms should be cut when you die, as well?

Simulated sexual violence is not on, in any context or for any reason, and neither is racism or bigotry - players shouldn't have to put up with that sort of shit when they're trying to enjoy themselves, and perhaps there could be some kind of reporting mechanism introduced somewhere down the line?

• Like 2

• Like 2

..//..

I love how everyones getting on the defensive against ME when all I've done is link an article which is on the front page of the "Tech" section on the Telegraphs website.

So what strangely attracted you to that one article, out of all the thousands and thousands and thousands of articles published every day in English on game related subjects and zombie related subjects and gun related subject and etc etc etc etc ??

You feel strange ? You just had to share it ?

troll

cool out

go to youtube, check the Skyrim sex mods.

Edited by pilgrim

...Simulated sexual violence is not on, in any context or for any reason, and neither is racism or bigotry - players shouldn't have to put up with that sort of shit when they're trying to enjoy themselves, and perhaps there could be some kind of reporting mechanism introduced somewhere down the line?...

I think this. Some ability to hold people responsible for being horrible human beings could help.

I never said you did, I called you a media shill for spreading this nonsense

You can call me what you want, DayZ is the only game I play nowadays, and the article I posted really wound me up.

If me bringing it to peoples attention (DayZ being on The Telegraph for Rape I believe is worth posting)

Then so be it, the community needs to be aware of this.

So what strangely attracted you to that one article, out of all the thousands and thousands and thousands of articles published every day in English on game related subjects and zombie related subjects and gun related subject and etc etc etc etc ??

troll

Your the troll mate, do me a favour and leave my thread, I've already reported you for the constant childish insults.

What attracted me to post this, was seeing DAYZ, RAPE and THE TELEGRAPH all on the same page.

Rather than vent your anger at me, go and vent it at "The Telegraph"

OR, if my inspector skills are correct, go take it out on one of the female avatars in DayZ. I mean I take it thats why you're getting so upset about this and telling me to shut up?

I never said you did. I called you a media shill for spreading this nonsense - you see those words just before the part you quoted - and you say I've got reading comprehension issues...

So what strangely attracted you to that one article, out of all the thousands and thousands and thousands of articles published every day in English on game related subjects and zombie related subjects and gun related subject and etc etc etc etc ??

troll

cool out

I have no idea what is inspiring you two to react so harshly to this thread but you're pushing it with the flaming. Keep the personal insults to yourselves.

As I said before, someone making a thread on the matter isn't going to change anything; they don't need ANY inspiration or motivation to twist and turn anything to make things seem worse than they are, and this thread isn't going to be the catalyst that causes it to continue. I can understand being angry at that but that does not grant you the right to vent your anger at other users, the OP in particular.

I have no idea what is inspiring you two to react so harshly to this thread but you're pushing it with the flaming. Keep the personal insults to yourselves.

It makes you wonder doesn't it. Nowhere have I said I agree with any of this.

I love this game, and I am a part of the development cycle like it or not, I went on the Telegraph to check out football transfer news, and instead ended up seeing this article which I felt obliged to report on here.

The few amounts of posts I have will show you how little time I have to actually have a discussion on here.

That said, I read this forum daily.

Edited by RiZzah

Well from this point forward let us keep discussion on the actual matter at hand and not about our opinions of each other.

• Like 2

Your the troll mate, do me a favour and leave my thread, I've already reported you for the constant childish insults.

What attracted me to post this, was seeing DAYZ, RAPE and THE TELEGRAPH all on the same page.

Rather than vent your anger at me, go and vent it at "The Telegraph"

OR, if my inspector skills are correct, go take it out on one of the female avatars in DayZ. I mean I take it thats why you're getting so upset about this and telling me to shut up?

I don't have any anger

I suggested you closed the thread back at the start

If you can't see why it's a bad idea, I guess you're not particularly quick on making connections and predicting the results of your actions

I assume you have read threads on this topic on this forum in the past. They are not constructive, check them out.

Thanks for reporting me, my opinion and position is coherent

I remain certain you are a troll because I cannot see how else an intelligent person would want to reopen this subject

The mods have not understood that you are trolling

I will leave your thread - I hope the outcome is to your liking

xx pilgrim

[edit : sorry I called you a console player, that was a joke]

Edited by pilgrim

Topics like this are why I hate society.

Me too.

So what do we do, bury our heads in the sand, or try and do something to change the misconstrued view of others?

So lets say this gets released on console.. Lots more of these articles come out in the Daily Mail/Mirror/Sun whatever..

We could respond to it, we could created a system whereby players could somehow get reported, and locked to "abuse servers" where no loot but food and clothes would spawn. They would remain there until their "Abuse" period had expired. Now to make it exciting, those servers could be opened up for fully geared players to jump into.

We could literally go hunting these people, the racists, the bigosts, the sexists.. We need an action plan before this all hits the fan because when it hits console believe me it will.

Now how would that come across in the media.

DayZ punishes Trolls with their own medicine.

Now that, that's an article I wouldn't mind bumping into on my way to the transfer news..

While some people here seem to think "video games don't make you violent" it really isn't true. People who routinely play violent video games tend to be more aggressive and confrontational in real life. People who play violent video games with a black male avatar have displayed an increased racial bias towards black males, specifically in reinforcement of the negative social stereotype that black males are aggressive.

Violent video games and media do affect your psyche and if you are an aggressive dickhead in real life, video games can reinforce that negative behavior.

Edit: A "report-to-server-admin" button would be great.

Edited by scriptfactory
  • Like 1

I think DayZ needs to be able to defend itself against these kinds of allegations. And that probably means a system of reporting and banning abusive players.

In the UK it is a criminal offence to verbally abuse someone on the grounds of sexism, racism or religious intolerance. There have been successful lawsuits against these types of abuse in the context of Facebook and Twitter. If that type of behaviour was displayed on this forum, for example, the very least you would expect is a ban.

DayZ Standalone needs that kind of mechanism, otherwise it will bring itself in for negative attention from the mainstream media, which would be unnecessary, because it's avoidable. Rape and torture is not a gameplay feature - it's just something that players can crudely simulate by manipulating other mechanics that are intended for legitimate gameplay purposes - that's not something I think can be easily avoided. But verbal abuse over VOIP probably does need to be policed in some way - other games do it, and not without good reason. At this early stage of development it's understandable that such mechanisms aren't in place yet, but perhaps they should be given more urgent attention?

Edited by Pillock
  • Like 1

Edit: A "report-to-server-admin" button would be great.

By the time private hives are out these people will get insta banned anyway.

I think there needs to be a punishment for frequent abusers, and frankly Im sick of being abused by 12 year old Russian kids who shout **** USA, or just follow you around shouting random swear words they find amusing in their thick sick little way.

I mean, theres no way I can report someone for that behaviour, and there should be.

I think DayZ needs to be able to defend itself against these kinds of allegations. And that probably means a system of reporting and banning abusive players.

In the UK it is a criminal offence to verbally abuse someone on the grounds of sexism, racism or religious intolerance. There have been successful lawsuits against these types of abuse in the context of Facebook and Twitter. If that type of behaviour was displayed on this forum, for example, the very least you would expect is a ban.

DayZ Standalone needs that kind of mechanism, otherwise it will bring itself in for negative attention from the mainstream media, which would be unnecessary, because it's avoidable. Rape and torture is not a gameplay feature - it's just something that players can crudely simulate by manipulating other mechanics that are intended for legitimate gameplay purposes - that's not something I think can be easily avoided. But verbal abuse over VOIP probably does need to be policed in some way - other games do it, and not without good reason. At this early stage of development it's understandable that such mechanisms aren't in place yet, but perhaps they should be given more urgent attention?

This, THIS.

Brilliantly summed up, I wish I could summarize what I'm getting at like that sometimes!

We have killing a-plenty in the game, why not rape ? How is that worse ?

We have killing a-plenty in the game, why not rape ? How is that worse ?

Stay on Nibiru mate. The Earth doesnt want or need you.

Stay on Nibiru mate. The Earth doesnt want or need you.

I find it incredibly disturbing that you seem to think that casual murder is a-ok and forced sex is somehow completely unacceptable in comparison. That's some proper ass-backwards moral sense you got there mate.

Edited by Mookzen
  • Like 2

I find it incredibly disturbing that you seem to think that casual murder is a-ok and forced sex is somehow completely unacceptable in comparison. That's some proper ass-backwards moral sense you got there mate.

I don't think you're looking at this the right way up.

Both murder and rape are unacceptable in the real world - that's obvious.

Shooting other players in a computer game is ok - it's become acceptable, though there are some people who still dislike and are uncomfortable with it. Rape is not ok in a game, because there's no point in it - there's no gameplay value to be had from it.

Competitive shoot-em-ups are fun. "Killing" an opponent in a game might be morally dubious, but it does not affect anyone's real-life health - to be killed is simply to lose the competition, start again and have another go. I think that's why it's ok. But rape doesn't have any purpose in a computer game - it doesn't add anything fun, it doesn't give it a competitive edge. It's just horrible and demeaning. There's a world of difference between the two.

Anyway, rape is NOT a deliberate feature of DayZ and it never will be. If anyone in the press thinks that it is, then they are just plain wrong. As for GTA, it isn't the developers' fault that some arseholes have modded the game that way.

• Like 1