creativecole

Why...........(movement and avatar control)

Is it so hard? Imagine if they made dayZ but just like the way counter-strike GO is. The same fluidity. I can imagine an open world every time I play CS:GO. If they could make the combat as dope as CSGO but in an open world environment.. it would change the game. Im not sure why it's so difficult to make it as smoothe/fluid as an FPS like CSGO or COD Even.

Edited by creativecole

Is it so hard? Imagine if they made dayZ but just like the way counter-strike GO is. The same fluidity. I can imagine an open world every time I play CS:GO. If they could make the combat as dope as CSGO but in an open world environment.. it would change the game. Im not sure why it's so difficult to make it as smoothe/fluid as that in an "mmo".

Its not hard at all, the slower more realistic movement in dayz is a design decision.

Changing to a more fluid CS:GO style movement would ruin a large part of the game for me.

• Like 7

Honestly, if you want a fast paced and fluid deathmatch/team deathmatch/hostage scenario/bomb scenario game, do play CSGO.

• Like 7

Honestly, if you want a fast paced and fluid deathmatch/team deathmatch/hostage scenario/bomb scenario game, do play CSGO.

im just referring to the combat.

As with all good things, it takes time to make a game perform/run better - fluidity.  CS have been going to decades.  Also the fact the maps are tiny (relatively speaking) has a direct correlation to fluidity.  The difference in the level of detail with regards to combat between the two is absolutely massive; one is 'arcadey' the other is trying to be more realistic/authentic.  Not a bash at CS at all, just highlighting a design difference.

/inbeforeyard

Edited by Boshed
  • Like 1

LOL! Do you really think that in real life you can headshot people instantly with AK47? Come on man. I think that combat in DayZ is perfect for the game. Realistic and smooth enough. I just cant catch your logic behind this post. Why CS GO? I could see BF4 type of combat possible but no ADS CS GO type of combat in hardcore realistic survival game is just stupid idea

Edited by Finnish sniper
  • Like 1

im just referring to the combat.

Yes that's the problem. Combat is not the only thing DayZ is about. CSGO is just the wrong system to compare it to. So very wrong. CSGO is not necessarily more fluid than DayZ, it's just so much more simplified. You always have a set amount of ammo for your gun, no gun has bullet drop, no zeroing for sniper rifles, instant death with the AWP no matter where you hit your target, you can be at 1HP and still move and jump around happily without a worry in the world unless someone hits you again, no scope sway, no breathing, hell you don't even have to 'ready' your gun to shoot.

That doesn't work in DayZ.

• Like 1

Its not hard at all, the slower more realistic movement in dayz is a design decision.

Changing to a more fluid CS:GO style movement would ruin a large part of the game for me.

There are a lot of debatable little small things. Yes, creating a twitchy shooter is not the goal. But (don't know, guessing) we probably run faster than in CS:GO, definitelly faster than in BF3 for example, jumping is not working well, we CAN change directions without slowing down in full sprint, the sprint button does nothing without also using w, going up stairs is soooooo slow, movement when aiming is too slow and the sprint button again does nothing, ... . Nothing of that is any more realistic than in any other shooter.

I hope we will still see a lot of changes in character movement, the current system is often (imo fittingly) described as "clunky". In experimental there is now a new sprinting with raised guns, great! Maybe the OP was hinting in this direction? I don't neccessarily associate the wish for fluid movement with the twitchiness of CS.

EDIT: But I agree, comparing it to CS:GO might not have been the best example...

Edited by bautschi

There are a lot of debatable little small things. Yes, creating a twitchy shooter is not the goal. But (don't know, guessing) we probably run faster than in CS:GO, definitelly faster than in BF3 for example, jumping is not working well, we CAN change directions without slowing down in full sprint, the sprint button does nothing without also using w, going up stairs is soooooo slow, movement when aiming is too slow and the sprint button again does nothing, ... . Nothing of that is any more realistic than in any other shooter.

I hope we will still see a lot of changes in character movement, the current system is often (imo fittingly) described as "clunky". In experimental there is now a new sprinting with raised guns, great! Maybe the OP was hinting in this direction? I don't neccessarily associate the wish for fluid movement with the twitchiness of CS.

Don't get me wrong, current movement in dayz needs a lot of work buts its clear that they are aiming for a system that more weight than the average FPS. 

By the way, shift works just fine for me, have you reset your controls to default? If you haven't reassigned run to double w then it shouldn't work at all with the new controls.

• Like 2

I agree, and I suppose that someone ought to tell good old creativecole that Day Z is not primary a bang bang PvP shoot-em-up for ID-10-Ts . Its a a survival game with a number of elements.  

Why...................... :(  

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Don't get me wrong, current movement in dayz needs a lot of work buts its clear that they are aiming for a system that more weight than the average FPS. 

By the way, shift works just fine for me, have you reset your controls to default? If you haven't reassigned run to double w then it shouldn't work at all with the new controls.

I agree, DayZ is and should be completely different. I kind of got worried about that when I heard yesterday that it will be ported to the PS4. In almost every game I played that was also on consoles, the ui mechanics were suffering and you could feel how it was made so that a gamepad can also use it.

I reset my controls in 0.48, reassigned turbo to space bar instead of shift and jumping to shift (I use mousewheel button for "gun up"). What I also did was assiging Fast Forward to 2xw, it did not work with turbo, but now I have a sprint buttton and the 2xw also works.

When I move sideways (ONLY sideways without also moving forward) and press the sprint button, there is no change in speed. If you say it should work, I gotta play around a bit more with the controls, it seems...

Edited by bautschi

the slower more realistic movement in dayz

Heh.

Haha. Hahahaha.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

When I move sideways (ONLY sideways without also moving forward) and press the sprint button, there is no change in speed. If you say it should work, I gotta play around a bit more with the controls, it seems...

AH, not so sure about sideways movement, thought you meant just when trying to run forwards.

Is it so hard? Imagine if they made dayZ but just like the way counter-strike GO is. The same fluidity. I can imagine an open world every time I play CS:GO. If they could make the combat as dope as CSGO but in an open world environment.. it would change the game. Im not sure why it's so difficult to make it as smoothe/fluid as an FPS like CSGO or COD Even.

Because making good controls in a game requires teams larger than 35 people who go to every game expo on the planet and who rather climb mountains at the end of the earth while their product hangs in the balance. For example, when Benvenuto Cellini decided to create his crowning achievement "Perseus with head of Medusa".... he didn't stop in the middle of making the wax model and decide to climb the alps for 2 months. No, he worked on the models for months straight until it was perfected. Read Cellini's autobiography and you will see how creations are perfected.

Controls in CS are the results of very serious work.

Edited by hothtimeblues

Is it so hard? Imagine if they made dayZ but just like the way counter-strike GO is.

NEIN!

Id rather have the functionality Red Orchestra2 has than C:fucking:Go

• Like 1

LOL! Do you really think that in real life you can headshot people instantly with AK47?

Well, yeah, you can. A good AK is very accurate. I know, I've shot an AK before.

Well, yeah, you can. A good AK is very accurate. I know, I've shot an AK before.

I think it was more about the fast turning zeroing in and headshot functionality in twitch shooters, not about the question if AKs are precise enough to actually pull that off when lying down and taking aim. You ignored the word "instantly". You can not have your gun at your hip, turn 90°, aim and get a headshot on 100m off in 1 second irl.

The best word that I've seen used to describe DayZ player movement/controls is "clunky." It really is, and this is not a good thing imo. It's frustrating to say the least. Just walking through a house can be a pain sometimes. It's not precise, and it should be because it's a video game, not real life. When I press "W" my character should immediately move forward, and when I release "W" it should immediately stop. Gun sway is fine, but gun control should not lag. I really do hope the devs make movement and controls more fluid. 

Sounds like you'd rather be playing Arma than DayZ SA. You also seem to have a fetish for a lot of periods, you appear to have used your daily quota on the subject alone!

I think the surge in popularity has brought people from much humbler shooter backgrounds. Games that try to be authentic/realistic (aka; ArmA, Red Orchestra, Insurgency, and DayZ), tend to add weight to make it based less on reaction time and more on positioning and tactical knowledge. For example: Pistols are lighter, and you can move and turn quicker with them. They're a better choice in close quarters than a Mosin or CZ.

The game is trying to have some authenticity and realistic qualities to make it a challenging and hardcore experience. I doubt we'll see any arcade features in the near future.

• Like 1

I was pretty pimp at Quake2/3 (rail gun!), Unreal Tournament, Half Life, etc. Getting used to DayZ was a complete change of mindset for me. It's not twitch reaction time based, it's exactly what  said - it's more strategy and planning than reaction time. The object is to survive, not to rack up kills. If it was to arcade style rack up skills you'd spawn fully geared and the map would be much smaller, and maybe we'd have jet packs like in Tribes. Or maybe it would be like Carmageddon and we'd drive over the zombies and get power ups that make them do crazy things such as become giants.

To quote the game's main site on Bohemia:

Welcome to the gritty open world of DayZ, hit by a new and presently unknown infection which has wiped out most of the world's population. You are one of the few who have survived and now you must search this new wasteland in order to fight for your life against what is left of the indigenous population now infected with the disease. Go solo, team up with friends or take on the world as you choose your path in this brutal and chilling landscape using whatever means you stumble upon to survive.

This is DayZ, this is your story.

DayZ is a gritty, authentic, open-world survival horror hybrid-MMO game, in which players follow a single goal: to survive in the harsh post-apocalyptic landscape as long as they can. Players can live through powerful events and emotions arising from the ever-evolving emergent gameplay. There are no superficial helpers, or waypoints, no built in tutorial or support given to players. Every decision matters, every mistake can be lethal. There are no save games, no lives. If you fail, you lose it all and you need to play again from the beginning with nothing but your wits, and your two hands. Fight the hostile environment, where every other player can be friend or foe and nothing can be taken for granted.

Sounds like you'd rather be playing Arma than DayZ SA. You also seem to have a fetish for a lot of periods, you appear to have used your daily quota on the subject alone!

What? So because Arma's controls are tight and correct, we should just avoid wanting DayZ, which is an awesome concept, and just play Arma?

So we just need to shut up and not be Dayz fans if we don't like crappy controls?

The moment they make combat as "dope" as CS is the moment I stop playing this game.

true man, would totally ruin the whole concept