kll4

Renaming game modes is a bad idea

On the new experimental patch wich just came out, the game modes ("Regular" & "Hardcore") have been renamed to "First person" & "Third person".
RD6A1pB.jpg

I honestly think that this is a step in the wrong direction. The dev team has the chance to differentiate these 2 game modes further than just by first person and third person camera view.

In my opinion there are be lots of more differentiation options for the dev team to efficiently target the 2 main player groups until private hives are implemented, the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay and then the "Regular" player who often plays casually and likes the PVP aspect of the game more than the survival aspect.

To target these main player groups, the devs should reserve themselves the option to differentiate the game modes by keeping the names "Regular" and "Hardcore" instead of renaming them to

"Third person" and "First person" indicating that this would be the only difference between the 2 game modes.

And if there are no differences than the camera view at the moment then the devs should at least keep the option of naming the game modes "Regular" and "Hardcore" in the back of their head if further differences between the game modes are implemented.

Edited by kll4
  • Like 3

I like the name change...there was nothing making HC mode Hardcore in the tradtional sense of the term for FPS games.

Every other person I met HC thought there was less food and items and that you died easier than regular. For many they were there for a Hard mode that meant more than just FPS only.

It also opens up for more server types if they create a true Hardcore mode.

There could be FPS restricted servers for the "normal difficulty" and there could be both 3rd/FPS restricted servers for the Hard mode.

This could also increase our potential character count on the main hive from 2 to 4.

The dot thing on the map is a glitch and thr devs stated on the forums they would fix it

Edited by trev186
  • Like 1

Maybe they will once there is any other differences between them. Right now the only difference is the camera. Also the example you posted of the map is from a misconfigured server and is not present on regular servers.

• Like 5

I couldn't get that map position marker to come up so I don't think it's a feature.  Also, they have fixed the 3rd person camera issue where you can peek through walls or through windows.  I tried for a good 15 minutes on many different types of homes and couldn't peek through it once.  It seems like what they did was enable collision on the character and camera so it won't let you lean if you are close to a wall and if you swing the camera holding alt, it just stops.  That's definitely really cool and improves 3rd person playing by a lot.

Edited by K20017
  • Like 1

For example, there already is one aspect of the game already practically used to differentiate "Regular" and "Hardcore" even further:

This map shows the player's position in form of a yellow dot. This only works on "Regular", though.

This is actually an Untrue rumor from DayzTV. Multiple people have confirmed this to be fake.

Literately the only diffrence between "Regular" and "Hardcore" is that some players call people noobs for liking to see their character

• Like 2

The dot thing on the map is a glitch and thr devs stated on the forums they would fix it

I couldn't get that map position marker to come up so I don't think it's a feature.

This is actually an Untrue rumor from DayzTV. Multiple people have confirmed this to be fake.

I'm sorry; I haven't played DayZ that much so I didn't know. I've removed it.

Edited by kll4
  • Like 1

I think it's a good change.  As stated the only actual difference is the camera.

If they make tweaks to make a more "hardcore" experience later on, camera options should still be a thing so "hardcore first person" and "hardcore third person" servers should exist.  

• Like 1

I honestly think that this is a step in the wrong direction. The dev team has the chance to differentiate these 2 game modes further than just by first person and third person camera view.

Its actually a step in the right direction because it tells people what they get without any bias. Reading "Hardcore" makes most people think of a gamemode that is... well hardcore. You expect more difficult gameplay that might be frustrating and less fun. But in reality the opposite is true: Hardcore is more intuitive, easier to get into, less frustrating and more fun because there are no people magically peeking out of houses, around corners or over walls while staying invisible themselves.

Only by renaming the gamemodes to what they are the developers don't remove the opportunity for a "real" hardcore mode in the future.

Edited by Evil Minion

Literately the only diffrence between "Regular" and "Hardcore" is that some players call people noobs for liking to see around/over cover without exposing themselves.

Fixed it for you.

Its actually a step in the right direction because it tells people what they get without any bias. Reading "Hardcore" makes most people think of a gamemode that is... well hardcore. You expect more difficult gameplay that might be frustrating and less fun. But in reality the opposite is true: Hardcore is more intuitive, easier to get into, less frustrating and more fun because there are no people magically peeking out of houses, around corners or over walls while staying invisible themselves.

Only by renaming the gamemodes to what they are the developers don't remove the opportunity for a "real" hardcore mode in the future.

I think both camera views are equally intuitive, but I agree that renaming the game modes was the right call, especially because there will be differences besides viewpoint eventually. Although, I think the OP mentioned that last thing in his post.

Sorry OP don't agree as many have said the term hardcore should be reserved for many more differences than just 1st or 3rd

• Like 1

I don't think the name change is permanent, rather it just reflects how the modes differ at the very moment. Surely many casuals will hop to regular only because it appears to them that hardcore should be somewhat difficult and not meant for casual players. Once they see it's the same DayZ, just restricted to 1st person, perhaps they'll decide it fits them better?

• Like 1

..., the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay ...

Well, fuck that, is what I say. I just want fair battles, where the campers don't have all the advantages by default, looking down from rooftops without showing themselves. I don't give a damn about anything else, and all of people that I know playing 1st person only don't either.

Also always the demonization of pvp. Seriously, PVP is the least casual thing in this game, survivial is, as survivial alone is the easiest part of the game. What do you do once you are max energized and hydrated 5min after spawning, eh? You can lay and a bush forever until you're hungry again. Congratz, you survived.

-"Third person" and "First person" indicating that this would be the only difference between the 2 game modes.

It IS the only damn diffrence.

Edited by Khanarac
  • Like 3

It kind of makes more sense at the moment!

But.. It is kind of discouraging in the sense that we don't know if a true hardcore mode is ever coming.

It makes sense to me, you don't see many games that have a "hardcore" difficulty that only changes the camera view. 

On the new experimental patch wich just came out, the game modes ("Regular" & "Hardcore") have been renamed to "First person" & "Third person".

In my opinion there are be lots of more differentiation options for the dev team to efficiently target the 2 main player groups until private hives are implemented, the "Hardcore" player who aims for realism authencity and roleplay and then the "Regular" player who often plays casually and likes the PVP aspect of the game more than the survival aspect.

To target these main player groups, the devs should reserve themselves the option to differentiate the game modes by keeping the names "Regular" and "Hardcore" instead of renaming them to

"Third person" and "First person" indicating that this would be the only difference between the 2 game modes.

And if there are no differences than the camera view at the moment then the devs should at least keep the option of naming the game modes "Regular" and "Hardcore" in the back of their head if further differences between the game modes are implemented.

The devs don't have a whole game in 1 game mode yet, and you want them to implement two different game modes right now?

I play both first and third person, and I would MUCH rather the devs keep the perspective the only thing changed between the two modes until they get a working game in regular, then ramp up the difficulty for Hardcore. Don't start making adjustments until you know where your balance point is. It's like trying to zero a scope for a sniper rifle by fitting it on a machine gun and firing at full auto.

Balancing comes beta. Until then, the only purpose is to offer different servers for people who want it either way.

I pray they don't force first on us. That'd be awful.

Fixed it for you.

tumblr_inline_n9yboepciI1s7babi.gif

Sure you did. Because roleplayers are totally nonexisting in Dayz and you totally know what I meant.

tumblr_inline_n9yboepciI1s7babi.gif

Sure you did. Because roleplayers are totally nonexisting in Dayz and you totally know what I meant.

Roleplayers would be more likely to use an immersive First Person View. People use 3rd person to make the game easier. Either they can't maneuver in First Person because of some nebulous "I spaz when in 1st person and can't get around a table inside a house." or they like looking over and around walls to see players/zombies.

• Like 3

OP is absolutely right....its a step in the wrong direction...the modes should be named pussy mode and real man mode

• Like 1

Roleplay doesn't require you to see your character all the time. You can totally roleplay on hardcore servers and in fact it would be more fun. Because you would actually spot those bad guys hunting for you before they are ready to shoot you.

Well, fuck that, is what I say. I just want fair battles, where the campers don't have all the advantages by default, looking down from rooftops without showing themselves. I don't give a damn about anything else, and all of people that I know playing 1st person only don't either.

Thats basically the main problem with 3rd person. I would love it if they implemented a way to avoid this. Then I could finally play with those people who like to see their character.
  • Like 1

Roleplayers would be more likely to use an immersive First Person View. People use 3rd person to make the game easier. Either they can't maneuver in First Person because of some nebulous "I spaz when in 1st person and can't get around a table inside a house." or they like looking over and around walls to see players/zombies.

Most roleplayers I speak prefer to RP in third person so that they can see what the are wearing and do combat in first person because the crosshair is totally messed up in third person (goes 2 feet over the place you aim at.). I know me and my friends for example would be a lot more PVP orientaded if first person was the only option.

tumblr_inline_n9yck7Ss0h1s7babi.gif

Then again I always play my ES and Fallouts in third person and go for the best looking gear (Police jacket over TTsKO everyday) instead of the most effective gear so maybe I'm just mad.

Edited by basinox

And if there are no differences than the camera view at the moment then...

That is the only difference.

Most roleplayers I speak prefer to RP in third person so that they can see what the are wearing and do combat in first person because the crosshair is totally messed up in third person (goes 2 feet over the place you aim at.). I know me and my friends for example would be a lot more PVP orientaded if first person was the only option.

tumblr_inline_n9yck7Ss0h1s7babi.gif

Then again I always play my ES and Fallouts in third person and go for the best looking gear instead of the most effective gear so maybe I'm just mad.

Pressing "tab" let's you observe your character/gear. As someone who role plays I can say that I find 1pp much more immersive. After all, I dont view my life from 3ft behind and above me. If something like the 4th wall mod was implemented, I wouldn't mind 3pp at all. It's just that as it is right now, the exploiting of the camera makes it lame. But no one wants that solution, because then they wouldn't be able to look around corners with the camera.

I don't know about other "HC" players, but I have said this many times: I do not want a different gameplay experience on hardcore. I just don't like 3PP and to me it defeats the purpose of playing a "realism based survival simulation"

• Like 1

I hope that its the start of a server setting panel in the browser. if it is I hope that...

A, That becomes an icon

B, Another icon is added that indicates Hardcore or Regular

That way server admins can run whatever they want. HC gameplay with 3pp, HC 1st only, Reg gameplay 3pp and Reg 1st only. Your char could swap to and from servers with diff perspective, but only within there own difficulty.

I know it sounds like a lot but that's only 2 server settings :)

• Like 1