BoBoSlap

Is anyone in DayZ Standalone friendly?

I am somewhat new to the game, about 48 hours or so playing time, and I have had many encounters with people, more with people than zombies, and have yet to find one single person that doesn't end up killing me. (Excluding the people that have freshly spawned). I will see people and I can EASILY EASILY kill them if I wanted. I'll catch people looting a car with their back turned. Opening a door, eating food and looking the other way. I have had SO SO SO many chances to kill people, but I have yet to kill ANYONE without being damaged myself. 

Like just today I went to airstrip and saw a guy running from zombies, I saved him and he was weaponless. Well, me being nice I let him get a gun out of the building, because quite frankly I was way better equipped and the weapon was rather useless to me. I made sure to keep my gun lowered and let him have his space and what not. Well, Next thing I know he is laying on the floor in a room i go in and he shoots be breaking my leg and then runs out of ammo and I end up having to kill him. Or another time a guy with just a garden hoe attacks me and I said multiple times I will not shoot, my gun lowered and everything, I even offered to help him get started and he just charges me and i end up having to kill him too.

I mean, I rarely die from the people that try killing me, but it's the concept of me saving them or obviously having all the chance in the world to just kill em there and choose not to and it seems EVERYONE still tries to kill me -_- Am I the only one that just seems to have this bad of luck with meeting people or should I just quit being nice, because quite frankly I am about to just start killing on sight(Excluding fresh spawns and weaponless of course) because it seems anyone with anything to hit you with, even if it's a measly shovel will try to kill you -_-. 

• Like 4

No you're not the only one, just keep it up, there's already enough Aholes in the game a nice balance would be great

• Like 5

while I am hesitant to advise that you just shoot first - you should just shoot first.

I was rather humorlessly camped the other day by a fresh spawn that was apparently just to lazy to go loot I was in a little shed in berezino and he was just outside next to the shed waiting for me, his fists clipped thru the wall showing me where he was so I opened up on him with the mosin then hunted him down with my axe and lemme tell you I was cussing the little lazy prick the whole time in direct. he got one good punch in and I went out, when I came to a couple of seconds later I found him dead next to me.

that was the last straw. now I don't care who you are or what you are carrying or saying, stay the hell away from me or I will shoot you where you stand and sometimes now I will just shoot you because I see you.

I am a happy person on experimental and tend to give all my shit away and start over frequently but on stable I tend to brood over my phat lootz with a hefty heater close at hand, an itchy trigger finger, and a really bad attitude.

I was like you once, and sometimes I will talk but lately I just let the mosin do all the talkin.

• Like 1

Welcome to the world where you can be a complete dick with no punishment or repurcussions.

It's wonderful... In a slightly disheartening way.

We run into friendly people all the time. I've met more friendly people in the game than hostile people.

Of course, I emanate an aura of fear and respect so yeah.

People who just spawned have very little to lose and you should treat 'm as a threat if you have good gear on you.

• Like 3

I'm always friendly towards people that are not brandishing weapons. Unfortunately they are rarely friendly back. I have noticed however that if you start to talk to people they are less inclined to attack you, even if it happens in maybe half of the times. The saddest times are when bambis attack you and you have to kill them to prevent getting knocked out. 

I guess the sad truth of it is that people are generally assholes.

• Like 2

A couple of things... First, you cannot expect anyone to be friendly at airfields or military bases. Even police/fire stations you have to be careful.

Second, if you are seen with your gun out, lowered or not, you looks hostile. Meeting people in DayZ is all about appearance and demeanor; the game is as much a psychological one as it as a shooter or rpg.

I meet friendly people all the time. How? I present myself in a fair and non intimidating matter. I make small talk. I offer assistance. I'm also usually wearing a cowboy hat, which believe it or not, makes you look at lot less scary than a man wearing a helmet.

But anyway, I think the number one tip for people wanting to find friendlies is stay away from Berezino.

• Like 2

today in elektro I saved a new respawn who was losing a fight with 3 zombies.  I told him to get up a ladder, and then I cleared the area of zombies for him.  I gave him the all clear and when he came down I gave him a bag of rice and some spare bandages.  he never made an aggressive move towards me the whole time.

doing this is risky.  but it's satisfying as hell when it goes right.  totally worth the risk.

• Like 8

Just yesterday I encountered two a-holes in a row. I spawned near Berezino. Although it is not good to loot there, I took the chance. As I looted a mini market, a very good equipped player shot at me with a mosin. Fortunately he wasn't very good with aiming. I wouldn't have cared if he hadn't shot. Unfortunately my attack was stopped and I died. His shots attracted many Zeds and another player. Most times I do not care about other player. They are more of a thread than a help to equip. I respawned again near Berezino and took the chance to find my body, but all was ruined. Then the other player appeared and I hit him until he was unconscious. The Zeds took care of the rest. Then the first player showed up and if it was not enough to kill me, I learned to accept that matter, he insulted me over the voice chat. I can live with the killing, but insults and discrimination are a no go.

All I have met were friendlies, met two guys a couple hours ago and we made it pretty far until the server restart.

• Like 2

Wait a year. At that point when most of the survival elements that were previously lacking from the game are enabled, most of the kids and DM guys switch to H1Z1 and other similiar games.

there is many frendly player in dayz i met evry day frendly player even some bandit is frendly if you talking to them in nice way and make funny joke or try to help them they sometimes forget about murder and enjoy the chat and meet a new frend ex[erience what can happen, in last days maybe 10 days i was meet minimum 15 player and nobody is kill me only yesterday 2 player was shot me but i was survive wen i hide in the rocks go prone and do crawl away in the forest but EVRY OTHER time PLAYER  was frendly we have chat and share the story of our adventures and was wave to say hello bye and even give some gift, is very important the way you talking be calm frendly no aggresiv DONT POINT GUN IN THE FACE put away melee weapon and say something what is make him smile and most time no fight is happen

Edited by Shrub Rocketeer ™
  • Like 5

Us "friendly's" are out there although this game would be very boring without bandits or people that KOS.....there's nothing wrong with the way anyone decides to approach the game except hacking. 

• Like 8

I feel your pain OP.

I am a friendly player and I refuse to change that just because there are jerks in game. I know when I am nice & try to interact with people, and they just kill me that they somehow get a thrill out of it...and feel like they've accomplished something. Maybe they have. But that's certainly NOT an accomplishment I'd want to pin on my own wall.

And overall, when it DOES workout, it feels good to help someone. For every 10 people that backstabd me, there is always that one time when the player is actually a good person & is genuinely appreciative of my help. It makes it worth it. I've even made some new friends that way.

I eventually want to be good enough at this game to be a Hero...I'm just not there yet. But I do my best to help when I can.

Sidenote -- While I NEVER want to be a bandit, I don't believe all bandits are jerks. I think a good bandit is creative & skilled. They make the game more enjoyable for a good Hero.

• Like 1

A recent Harvard study determined that 95% of the player-base are mouth breathing douche bags. But I'm not sure how scientific it was so it's probably safe to say only 92% are...

Edited by Solreal
  • Like 1

A recent Harvard study determined that 95% of the player-base are mouth breathing douche bags. But I'm not sure how scientific it was so it's probably safe to say only 92% are...

I demand a p-value!

• Like 1

..//..

should I just quit being nice, because quite frankly I am about to just start killing on sight (excluding fresh spawns and weaponless of course) because it seems anyone with anything to hit you with, even if it's a measly shovel will try to kill you -_-.

..//..

nice guy thread

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/206801-im-a-nice-guy/#entry2073575

"nice" is not in it.

You can risk your life to help people same as you can risk your life to kill people. Your choice.

From time to time toss a coin.

Edited by pilgrim

It's actually not too hard to distinguish "friendlies" from bandits. If you played this game a lot, you learn to be careful and listen carefully to what and how the people talk. I've made the experience that if players you just met talk right away like "Hey, I'm friendly ... alright, let's go there and there...", it's probably a trap and he's got buddies.

Also, if somebody is not careful, turns his back on you and gives you the opportunity to kill him just like that though you just met like a minute ago, he's either just totally uncareful or he just does not have any bad intention.

And thirdly, the way people talk is very often very treacherous. If the they seem tense or seem to be very careful about what to say (making long pauses etc.), that for me has mostly proven that they've got bad intentions so I usually don't go along with them.

I've been friendly since the very first day I was playing the mod. And I've stayed this way even though I was often very close to rage killing. But I always reminded myself that this is the point where many others begin to kill on sight. There might not be many "friendlies", but if noone tries, nothing will change for the better.

Best regards,

Johnny

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny
  • Like 2

Sadly the divide is about 90/10 as far as douchebag to friendly ratio. Don't give up, we are out there. What's even sadder is a friendly player turned bandit out of disillusionment and rage. Don't fall to the dark side.

Perfect example, I tried my first go at Exerimental the other day. Low hours players should be less douchey one would think, right? I run through three towns, not a morsel of food. I only found a machete and pair of 6 slot pants. My screen was starting to discolor from hunger and the wrong end of a zombie fistfight and I ran across three other players with nothing just like me. They were older, not 13 year olds, we talked for a few minutes laughing and stuff, thought everything was cool. I told them I was B&W and had nothing. Then one sidled beside me when we were talking and punched me and knocked me out. One giggled, one apologized, I awoke with no pants and no machete. The one who apologized left me a water bottle to my surprise but still.... REALLY?! Was that necessary?

• Like 2

Some of us are friendly, though most are cautious with players they don't know.  If you get to know a few players you might find it easier to develop a sense of trust but it's tricky.  

If you ever see me on a server, which is unlikely at the moment as my pc is broken until the end of the month, you can ask me for help.  I never kill other players and play as a medic.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

yea I remember when I was a friendly player many moons ago. Now I SOS and have no remorse about it. All to often I have been shot in the back, knocked out and ambushed by so call friendly players. Now with a little over 400 hours in, if the people are not in my clan, I don't take any chances I blow yer azz away lol. My clan guys are the only ones I protect thats just how it is.

Edited by Timewarp

I can honestly say that I am friendly. I trust players, which often gets me killed. However, if you piss me off or are a bandit, then you had better watch out, cuz there aint no saving you. I stabbed a man to death with a bloody screwdriver once cuz he called my character a n*gger. I also shot many bandits to death who were camping waiting for innocent players. The truth is there's no real "friendly" players unless you actually know them. You can never really be sure about anyone, but if someone comes up behind you and yells friendly, then you can probably trust them. Just don't attack or provoke friendly players, cuz even they can kill you if pissed off.

• Like 1

I ran around for an hour or so with a guy I met randomly. I spotted him and waited then stepped into the open in his plain view. He had a gun, I didn't. He was happy to team up and so worked our way across the map together. Two pairs of eyes have a better chance of seeing trouble and we could watch each other's backs.

• Like 1

Treat anyone you see as just another Bandit without their weapons. They were probably just killed and of course will be super friendly, until you have something they need. The name of the game is survival, and we do this through looting. So if you see ANYONE they are a threat to your survival. Even if not directly, they are competing over the same stuff. I only pal around with people I meet on reddit, here or regular friends that play. Anyone else i avoid or kill if given ample opportunity.