omgwtfbbq (DayZ)

Is DayZ going to have microtransactions/DLC?

As with most of my posts, the point of the thread is to think.

Please, dev team, please don't include paid DLC. Please be the shining example of a game that can survive early access development, then be released in full with no additional paid add-ons. No DLC. Full game for $30 (or however much they plan to sell it for).

What I don't want to see:

-DLC maps for $9.99 USD

-Clothing/player items (see below for my point on this) for only $.99!

-Perks/player benefits only available through microtransactions

-Anything else stupid I can't think of right now.

With the clothing point above, yes, I know "The WarZ" or "Infestation: Survivor Stories" or whatever generic name they go by now has tried this, and received a bunch of crap for it. At least, from the audience. Did the DayZ dev team swear that they wouldn't do these kind of things? No. Is it presumed they won't or don't want to? Maybe. I am not stating that they will or won't, I'm just saying it's unclear unless one of the dev team says officially that they will/won't. The reason I bring this up at all is because the dev team on DayZ actually listens to what the community surrounding it wants, more or less. If they didn't, there wouldn't be a Suggestions sub-forum dedicated to having users voice their thoughts on future additions to development. 

We have heard no statement on whether or not these will be included, as this is a matter to be decided in a year or two, near the end of development. I bring this up to know if I should continue to support DayZ and its development choices. For now, I can even see the possible response to this being that they simply do not know; it being a matter too far forward into the future to determine, whether it be because of financial benefit or something the dev team just decides on. For some reason, and without any proof or verification to back it, I believe the dev team won't include these. Why? I don't know. All I can do is make posts like this and cross my fingers, and that's about it. So dev team, as a lover of this game so dearly, 

Please don't include paid DLC or paid add-ons.

EDIT: This first comment made me immediately sad 

private servers will totally let you buy loadouts/vip slots.

Edited by omgwtfbbq
  • Like 2

-Perks/player benefits only available through microtransactions

short answer: no

long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

• Like 2

short answer: no

long answer: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Doubled. But in all honesty it's not likely to happen (microtransactions) to any great extent. Sure some servers will offer it, and those same servers will have it's own localized player base. Just as some servers will have 200 modes of transportation surrounding every spawn and every weapon in the game spawning at extremely high rates, but it won't be part of the main hive. 

Those who don't want the pay to have it all / have an advantage system will stick to the servers which no doubt will be the majority that do not offer any such services beyond a 'vip' option that ensures server slots are reserved so you can always access it, even if the server is full.

The odds of paying for items becoming commonplace is practically null unless the vast majority suddenly ask/promote the concept and put their wallets behind it.

From the get go Rocket has said no microtransactions

or DLCs as they splinter the community

• Like 1

Private hives will, but no, I don't think the devs would ever do that. I'm glad ArmA 3 isn't going to make shooting from vehicles a DLC. Let's hope they share it with DayZ.

Edited by Applejaxc

BIS has never done anything like that in the past so i wouldnt think they would do it now ( that looks more like the free to play model of H1Z1 style game.) but they do make expansions for there games but rest assured IF they make an expansion for Dayz it will be a BIG expansion worth the money to buy i would guess from there past record and me having played there games for a more than 8 years(shit probably closer to 10 years)

thats not really BI's style, so I don't think it's very likely. I'm not the happiest with their ArmA 3 DLC plans, as a lot of it seems to be stuff that should have been in the game from release. But, I think they released ArmA 3 prematurely anyway, and thats a whole different game. A (very) far future DLC with a new map and gear and weapons is something I wouldn't rule out completely, but it doesn't seem likely to me.

Oh not to mention there open plan for modding kinda negates many of the possibilities for the cheap money grabbing micro transactions and small dlc.

• Like 2

Doubled. But in all honesty it's not likely to happen (microtransactions) to any great extent. Sure some servers will offer it, and those same servers will have it's own localized player base. Just as some servers will have 200 modes of transportation surrounding every spawn and every weapon in the game spawning at extremely high rates, but it won't be part of the main hive. 

Those who don't want the pay to have it all / have an advantage system will stick to the servers which no doubt will be the majority that do not offer any such services beyond a 'vip' option that ensures server slots are reserved so you can always access it, even if the server is full.

The odds of paying for items becoming commonplace is practically null unless the vast majority suddenly ask/promote the concept and put their wallets behind it.

About your first point

If we learned anything with mods, it's that the main hive will close and never succeed due to watered-down experiences.

• Like 2

I'm not the happiest with their ArmA 3 DLC plans, as a lot of it seems to be stuff that should have been in the game from release.

I think the way it works with a3 is, as they add new mechanics, like weapon sway/shooting from vehicles/more detailed flight controls, they give that to all players for free. While simultaneously they launch a dlc that is basically a training campaign specific to that new mechanic.

• Like 1

I would much rather this game not turn into heroes and generals. While I normally disagree with you, I am with you 100% here. I don't want to see another freaking transaction even possible for this game in the future, unless it's renting a server

The one thing that has pissed me off that occurred in the DayZ mod with Private Hive server owners is this:

They sell their stupid ass load outs on their servers for say 30$ for a fully geared person. The owner *claims* that the money is going towards the server rent cost and shit, but in reality we all know what really is going on.

The server gets popular and they start getting insane selling prices on their stupid load out/per month value deals, then the owner gets hella rich on it. Then maybe 20% or so of the actual money goes towards the server rent, then they keep the extra profit all to themselves. Made me really mad, but not because I am jealous or anything, it's because they are cheap scaping their way off someone else's game to pay for their RL issues.

Edited by TheWizard14

The one thing that has pissed me off that occurred in the DayZ mod with Private Hive server owners is this:

They sell their stupid ass load outs on their servers for say 30$ for a fully geared person. The owner *claims* that the money is going towards the server rent cost and shit, but in reality we all know what really is going on.

The server gets popular and they start getting insane selling prices on their stupid load out/per month value deals, then the owner gets hella rich on it. Then maybe 20% or so of the actual money goes towards the server rent, then they keep the extra profit all to themselves. Made me really mad, but not because I am jealous or anything, it's because they are cheap scaping their way off someone else's game to pay for their RL issues.

This is quite likely to happen in the SA they dont really have any control over such matters. There is a simple solution though dont play on servers that do this support ones that leave a level playing ground and stay true to the spirit of Dayz. You have the control over this sort of thing happening or not...

I think the way it works with a3 is, as they add new mechanics, like weapon sway/shooting from vehicles/more detailed flight controls, they give that to all players for free. While simultaneously they launch a dlc that is basically a training campaign specific to that new mechanic.

I havent put much time in to A3 in the past two weeks or so, but from what Ive heard the new mechanics are worth it. And now that you mention it I'm pretty sure you're right, the paid content is quite minimal, as the actual gameplay mechanics are brought in regardless of whether you buy the content or not. Which kinda makes me feel like people who pay for it are getting shafted on content they don't really need. I'll make my mind up when my units pilots decide if the new heli is any good or not :p

BIS and dlc...

Everyone gets it for free....if you wanna pay then you get better textures. Hope they just stick to that strategy.

Unless its a map OFC, paying for a full map is ok in my book. But you can tell it wont be DLC driven by them enabling modding :)

Hopefully not as it goes against the concept and the idea of an open world game.

DLC works best on singleplayer games and microtransactions on arena-like multiplayer with discrete matches (classic FPS, MOBA etc.). DayZ is neither of this and this kind of content would probably affect gameplay far to much to the point of basically destroying it (buyable benefits would definitely do this).

Edited by Evil Minion

It is important to understand what private shards entail for DayZ, and why they are different from "private hives" so well known from the Arma 2 mod. Can:
  • Password protect the server
  • Operate a white list (using BEC)
  • Ban/Kick trouble makers
  • Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)
Can not:
  • Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)
  • Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)
  • Have access to the database itself
  • Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)
  • Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)
  • Exceed current maximum player limits per instance (40, as of the time of the writing of this status report)

We hope that in addition to the thousands of public hive game servers, these private shards (marked by the "Private" flag in the server browser) will empower strong DayZ communities to grow and strengthen their groups. 
More information on Private Shards will come as we get closer to this feature going live with our game server partners

BIS and dlc...

Everyone gets it for free....if you wanna pay then you get better textures. Hope they just stick to that strategy.

Unless its a map OFC, paying for a full map is ok in my book. But you can tell it wont be DLC driven by them enabling modding :)

Paying for higher quality textures isn't the best marketing strategy in my mind; why not just patch it in? Your point about paying for a map is the exact opposite of what I was saying in the original post; that's exactly what I don't want to have happen, having to pay for content that should be included. Why should it be included? If there is an additional map for sale, you get exactly 1/2 of all the maps in the game unless you pay extra money. 

Paying for higher quality textures isn't the best marketing strategy in my mind; why not just patch it in? Your point about paying for a map is the exact opposite of what I was saying in the original post; that's exactly what I don't want to have happen, having to pay for content that should be included. Why should it be included? If there is an additional map for sale, you get exactly 1/2 of all the maps in the game unless you pay extra money. 

Point is that even if they do bring out a DLC you wont be forced to buy it. You would still get all the new...hats...for example. But its up to you wether you want to pay for the dlc and have the shiny textures, or you can just live with the downgraded ones and not part with your cash. Seems like one of the fairest ways of distributing DLC.

For a map, if they spend a year or 2 after beta making a new map then they should charge for it. Chernarus took years to complete, so I wouldn't expect a new map every few weeks or anything like that. Whats wrong with paging a small fee later to extend the life of the game?

AH so let me get this straight you would like them to continue indefinately patching in new maps etc and do it all for free ( personally ill be looking to modders for maps , i dont mod maps they take t long have done a few buildings and such though lol)

You dont run a business do you ???

Welcome to the world of business where you very rarely get something for nothing ( and with bis you often do just downgraded so it doesnt split the community but still entices you to buy them lol..

AH so let me get this straight you would like them to continue indefinately patching in new maps etc and do it all for free ( personally ill be looking to modders for maps , i dont mod maps they take t long have done a few buildings and such though lol)

You dont run a business do you ???

Welcome to the world of business where you very rarely get something for nothing ( and with bis you often do just downgraded so it doesnt split the community but still entices you to buy them lol..

Bohemia earns money through server renting from what I understand.

And continuous sales, of course. DayZ has been in the "most-sold" on Steam for months now.

This kind of marketing is what has made the gaming market as large as it is now, the only reason they started adding DLC and in-game currency is because capitalist pig-dog investors want to see more of a return. They do not give a shit about gamers or games in general. If DLC and micro-transaction has been there since the 90 s, gaming would have NEVER gone mainstream. You can run a business and earn a decent buck without going full-blown capitalist.

Hence the reason why all the games that did have those things (they do/did exist) have disappeared into obscurity.

I doubt Bohemia is that stupid given their track record. Their DLC has been on the pricey side but never contained unreasonable content as far as I know. They're more like the add-ons we used to see than the modern-day zero-day DLC rip-offs.

• Like 2