r4z0r49

DayZ Mod 1.8.2

I just made the transition to Dayz SA while waiting for the 1.8.2, since I just can't play 1.8.1 until the bugs are fixed. To be honest it's getting pretty good, and it's a nice change. I might give 1.8.2 a go but the mod is getting a bit stale. The only things that are really pissing me off in the SA so far is the terrible performance (getting 26 fps in cities on very high, and very low with a mid-high end PC), and the sluggish movement. Oh and of course the zombies are still terrible.

The last time I played the SA was a few months ago when it was downright terrible, but the 2 recent patches were pretty good. I think it's going to be awesome when it's out of alpha..

Edited by Borges

Hi!

I run one of the bigger vanilla servers in Europe, I might be interested aswell! Or will the transatlantic fact be a problem here?

Cheers.

I think the problem will be more on the technological and budget side... I don´t know about the performance requirements for such a massive MySQL DB cluster... so all I can do some educated guessing... what about pure CPU power, load balancers, maintenance, redundance, backups, professional manpower... running such a big DB for, lets say 20-80 peers to connect is not an easy task to accomplish. And who will pay?

I´m sceptic, but I´d be happily proven wrong.

Edited by dayzjarhead

Any news when the update is gonna be live on steam? Cheers for the hard work guys much appreciated!! :thumbsup:  :beans:  

edit.. I know it's out of your control just wondering if bis has replied to your inquiries ;)

Edited by vandal gab

They don't work during the weekend so i don't expect to hear anything now till Tuesday. 

They don't work during the weekend so i don't expect to hear anything now till Tuesday. 

Thought that there may have been a chance for a Bank holiday release but any ways  thanks for the Ultra fast reply R4Z0R49 as I've said your hard work and dedication to the mod is much appreciated looking forward to 1.8.2 and the improvements ;) 

Thought that there may have been a chance for a Bank holiday release but any ways  thanks for the Ultra fast reply R4Z0R49 as I've said your hard work and dedication to the mod is much appreciated looking forward to 1.8.2 and the improvements  ;)

The files are included in the serverfiles and you can update yourself manually - there is no need to wait on Steam.

• Like 1

The files are included in the serverfiles and you can update yourself manually - there is no need to wait on Steam.

I did see the files are available to download for a manual install but it's looking like my home server FR34 is waiting on the steam release but I could be wrong  :D  :beans:   

Hi!

I run one of the bigger vanilla servers in Europe, I might be interested aswell! Or will the transatlantic fact be a problem here?

Cheers.

I'm more then willing to try it out if you are. Send me a PM and I can whitelist your server IP to mine on mySQL. Since the database is only for persistence I don't see it being a real issue with performance.

I did see the files are available to download for a manual install but it's looking like my home server FR34 is waiting on the steam release but I could be wrong  :D  :beans:

Like wise I'm waiting for the steam update since players will naturally gravitate to the easiest option.

I think the problem will be more on the technological and budget side... I don´t know about the performance requirements for such a massive MySQL DB cluster... so all I can do some educated guessing... what about pure CPU power, load balancers, maintenance, redundance, backups, professional manpower... running such a big DB for, lets say 20-80 peers to connect is not an easy task to accomplish. And who will pay?

I´m sceptic, but I´d be happily proven wrong.

Redundancy will be an issue (haven't looked into mySQL, my familiarity is with Oracle databases) but if it's a smallish community I don't see the performance being a problem. One thing I'd like to do/see is a group of servers who will push the non-modified vanilla mod so players can join knowing that they will have a consistent experience. In fact having to many might dilute the server population.

As with redundancy we can allow server owners who wish to collaborate to have access so if the main hive goes down people can get access to the back-ups so it can be relocated.

• Like 1

Redundancy will be an issue (haven't looked into mySQL, my familiarity is with Oracle databases) but if it's a smallish community I don't see the performance being a problem. One thing I'd like to do/see is a group of servers who will push the non-modified vanilla mod so players can join knowing that they will have a consistent experience. In fact having to many might dilute the server population.

As with redundancy we can allow server owners who wish to collaborate to have access so if the main hive goes down people can get access to the back-ups so it can be relocated.

What are your thoughts about load balancing? I think a single server might not be able to cope with the flood of sql-statements coming in from loads of servers. There´s really A LOT of them, even on my 20-35ish slot server alone. :)

I think that getting all the shit together is just a matter of time and some really dedicated people... but what about the costs?

There is very little CPU utilization on the dayz database. One I use has four dayz servers running and it's barely using any resources. If we are talking about let's say 4-5 additional servers hiving together I don't see an issue. Obviously there's more to this then CPUs, there's file I/O, memory and network bandwidth however for the type of data traffic necessary for dayz persistence I don't see these being immediate issues.

With some basic ILM (information lifecycle management) the database won't get bloated and cause issues. I'm optimistic in being able handle additional load.

Obviously if this takes off and more people want to join the community then possibly I can see us needing to have a dedicated database server. However at this point I don't see the need to have more CPUs, faster drives, more memory to handle the data. It's a concern that we haven't tripped over yet and may never occur (though would be interesting to have).

I guess the best we can do is try to add a few additional servers and observe the load. I think at worst we have a small gang of servers who are hived and at best this takes off into something bigger. For anyone partaking in the en-devour it costs you nothing other than to set up a dayz server and connect to a central hive.

Edited by Geryon
  • Like 1

Day's and Dreams Race bye , Like sleeping Giants we wait, Talking about, Who's the F*$%# Bag that server Hopped and took all the gear outta my tent... OMG you boys. God save me again from such a day. NOBODY WANTS 100/100 14 year olds ROAMING a MAP Taking all you Gear Server Hopping , So before we all wet ourselfs, F*%$# YOUR HIVE & GET THE FUCKING UPDATE!!!!!!

Edited by LoveAffair

Day's and Dreams Race bye , Like sleeping Giants we wait, Talking about, Who's the F*$%# Bag that server Hopped and took all the gear outta my tent... OMG you boys. God save me again from such a day. NOBODY WANTS 100/100 14 year olds ROAMING a MAP Taking all you Gear Server Hopping , So before we all wet ourselfs, F*%$# YOUR HIVE & GET THE FUCKING UPDATE!!!!!!

Tip: Tents are water proof. ;)

B**** please.

There is very little CPU utilization on the dayz database. One I use has four dayz servers running and it's barely using any resources. If we are talking about let's say 4-5 additional servers hiving together I don't see an issue. Obviously there's more to this then CPUs, there's file I/O, memory and network bandwidth however for the type of data traffic necessary for dayz persistence I don't see these being immediate issues.

With some basic ILM (information lifecycle management) the database won't get bloated and cause issues. I'm optimistic in being able handle additional load.

Obviously if this takes off and more people want to join the community then possibly I can see us needing to have a dedicated database server. However at this point I don't see the need to have more CPUs, faster drives, more memory to handle the data. It's a concern that we haven't tripped over yet and may never occur (though would be interesting to have).

I guess the best we can do is try to add a few additional servers and observe the load. I think at worst we have a small gang of servers who are hived and at best this takes off into something bigger. For anyone partaking in the en-devour it costs you nothing other than to set up a dayz server and connect to a central hive.

As you have stated, there is very little impact on a MySQL database. It would take a LOT of servers to need a substantial DB server.  The transactions are very small amounts of data.  Moving lots of small amounts of data is like serving a busy web page. It doesn't take a lot of horsepower to do this.  When you are file serving, it's a different story. You need a good CDN set up to handle the load.  I already have the infrastructure and bandwidth needed to host a public DB for DayZ Mod, however, it's not as simple as allowing multiple servers to access your DB. It has to be configured differently so there is a separate DB or at least separate table for all player data that will be persistent for all the different servers accessing the public hive.  Second, each server that is whitelisted to the public hive need their own separate DB to be created so that vehicles, etc specific to their server is persistent.  With all of that comes the need to have scripts to handle the cleanup off all the independent servers attached to the Public DB as well as cleanup scripts for the player database.

The database structure for running private hive servers will not work out of the box for running a public hive setup. It will take a bit of customization for setup and maintenance and the IOPS needed to support this will greatly depend on how many servers will be connecting to it.  For starters, I think it is safe to say that there will only be a very few servers making use of a public hive database.  A lot of this will depend on if and when the server files for DayZ SA become available.

Edited by Skydive

Update.

[10:30:15] Eugen: doing the push now
[10:30:36] Carl: on a bank holiday Monday
[10:30:40] Eugen: :D
[10:30:47] Carl: :)
[10:30:54] Eugen: hopefuly should be online soon,
[10:30:59] Eugen: just doing last minute checks

Looks like it will be released today.
  • Like 8

Excellent news! Download completed on Steam about an hour ago indeed.

Thanks for your hard work! Will try it tonight.

Launched to check and didn`t see any but normally this would have change by tonight.

Edit : There are at least a couple already updated.

Edited by SurvivorJP

Musty server should be updated.

Yay!  :beans:  :thumbsup:  :beans:  :thumbsup:  :beans:  :thumbsup:  :D