Wobaki

Will a AMD 6300 run dayz mod smooth?

I currently run on a AMD Athlon II x4 645 3,1GHz processor and a NVIDIA GTX 770 but i only get 10-15 FPS. It's almost impossible to play some times. i know i need a better cpu, but i heard that Dayz mod runs a lot better on Intel cpu's than it does on AMD, but does anyone know if Dayz mod runs well on a AMD FX 6300? what fps do you get and is it working for you?

Yes but there is a pinned topic for Can you run it. also... the processor isn't that important in gaming, Its more dependent on the GPU

So if its a 770 yes.

The short answer is no. At the moment, nothing really runs DayZ smoothly at all times. Even if you've got a wunderbar rig, you're gonna be looking at sub-10 FPS drops in certain parts of some of the bigger cities, and should expect about 30-40 at the best inside most cities. I've seen some exceptions, but you're definitely going to have to play around with your card's settings directly.

I found that setting the antialiasing and a handful of other things to run /directly/ on my GPU, basically ignoring the DayZ settings, helped a lot. And you're DEFINITELY going to find that Jasmer here is unfortunately wrong in DayZ's particular case, though his assertion is valid for the vast majority of games. Specifically, I believe the engine they're using has a tendency to take calculations best run on the GPU and send them to the CPU instead - I've heard it said this is because the engine's designed to expect that your graphics card can't handle it, but that could be bullshit. All I know for certain is that setting my GPU to over-ride DayZ's decisions in some cases has resulted in drastic improvements to performance. I still get sub-10 FPS on occasion when inside bigger cities like Cherno, Elektro, Svetlo, or Novo, but I'm getting a fairly the rest of the time, and 60+ in the wilderness (with a few drops here and there just for spice, because I guess cow farts cause framedrops in addition to global warming =3 ).

Mess about with your card's settings for when it runs DayZ - I'd wager you'll find a way to improve it, and it's not like you can really hurt anything messing around with these sorts of settings.

EDIT: In case it matters for your reference, I run a GTX 560 with quad-core 3.4 GHz.

Edited by Funkmaster Rick
  • Like 1

Yes but there is a pinned topic for Can you run it. also... the processor isn't that important in gaming, Its more dependent on the GPU

So if its a 770 yes.

On 95% of games id agree with you on a game running on a RV engine id very much disagree with you and the fact he is running a gtx 770 and getting such shit FPS kinda proves it . RV games are very cpu heavy and worse yet not well multi threaded lol so it really rides heavily on single core performance thus making intell a better choice for running them ( i prey one day they will improve multicore support)

• Like 2

I have an amd fx 6350 with 8gb of ram and don't get too many issues with it aside from the usual frame drop in big cities.

And the cpu definitely makes more of a difference in this game than GPU. I only say that because I upgraded my computer recently and started with the GPU and got no improvements until the cpu was upgraded a month or so later.

Didn't even notice he was talking about mod.... Probably ignore my advice then as it was solely based on standalone.

Didn't even notice he was talking about mod.... Probably ignore my advice then as it was solely based on standalone.

Nah your advice is still valid the things that make the stand alone hard on the cpu are pretty much the same as they were for the mod( i have no experience with the 6300 series cpu when i built my  wifes rig i put fx 8350 in it and a evga gtx770 sc that handles dayz very nicely but then i over clocked the cpu to 5 ghz and i personally run i7's...

If you have a AMD3+ mobo and since you have a Athlon II x4,it most likely you dont

I'm buying a new mobo aswell, i know the fx 6300 is AMD3+ and my current one is just a AMD3

I have an AMD FX-8300 8-core processor at 3.3 Ghz and the game runs like shit, so unless my CPU is defective or something, I would assume an FX-6300 would have similar or even worse performance. 

Edited by btw001

I have a FX 8320 8 core clocked at 4Ghz. 8GB 1600mhz RAM and a 2GB 770. I have not played the Vanilla mod for about a year now. But I do play epoch from time to time. It runs about 40-50 FPS in most places but in cities about 30 and sometimes drops below that.

But am going to assume since Epoch has more stuff going on. Maybe vanilla will have better FPS.

• Like 1

Don't use AMD CPUs. I know of several games that run poorly on AMD CPUs, all of them require more CPU power than GPU. 

• Like 1

The old Phenoms are still quite good. Better than the new ones in some cases.

If you're getting a new Processor I'd go with a decent intel one or a really good phenom. Though the price of good phenoms has gone up. So It depends one what you want.

Oh and ARMA/DayZ is definitely heavier on the CPU, way way heavier.

I currently run on a AMD Athlon II x4 645 3,1GHz processor and a NVIDIA GTX 770 but i only get 10-15 FPS. It's almost impossible to play some times. i know i need a better cpu, but i heard that Dayz mod runs a lot better on Intel cpu's than it does on AMD, but does anyone know if Dayz mod runs well on a AMD FX 6300? what fps do you get and is it working for you?

It will run fairly well, i would get the 6350 if i could. as the engine gets multi threaded you will see a huge improvement.

Don't use AMD CPUs. I know of several games that run poorly on AMD CPUs, all of them require more CPU power than GPU. 

these games are typically not multithreaded and single threaded apps are a dying breed. As far as bang for your buck AMD offers a nice product and will only perform better as time goes on.

I recently put together 2 builds for a couple buddies of mine. Both builds are running an AMD 6300 and a GTX 670. I found that DayZ and DayZ mod ran rather poor with around 30 fps in fields and 15-30 fps in bigger cities. Frame rate was better in the DayZ mod but only by a little.

If you upgrade to a 6300 you will get an fps boost, but it might be better in the long run to buy an Intel cpu. Something like a G3258 with a 4+ ghz overclock would probably run DayZ better. There are a lot of bundle deals for the G3258 and a mobo for around $120. This also allows the option to upgrade to an i5/i7 later on.

Either way you will get a nice fps boost!

• Like 1

So if its a 770 yes.

Not in arma, no sir. CPU and GPU are equally important.

I recently put together 2 builds for a couple buddies of mine. Both builds are running an AMD 6300 and a GTX 670. I found that DayZ and DayZ mod ran rather poor with around 30 fps in fields and 15-30 fps in bigger cities. Frame rate was better in the DayZ mod but only by a little.

If you upgrade to a 6300 you will get an fps boost, but it might be better in the long run to buy an Intel cpu. Something like a G3258 with a 4+ ghz overclock would probably run DayZ better. There are a lot of bundle deals for the G3258 and a mobo for around $120. This also allows the option to upgrade to an i5/i7 later on.

Either way you will get a nice fps boost!

I would argue this is the opposite. It might be wise for the short term while the game is more dependent on single core performance, as time goes on the engine will be optimized to run on multicore AMD CPU's

• Like 3

I would argue this is the opposite. It might be wise for the short term while the game is more dependent on single core performance, as time goes on the engine will be optimized to run on multicore AMD CPU's

Yup, you are right. Eventually the game will be optimized for multicore cpu's so yes performance may increase greatly on AMD cpu's. Even so, the benefits of multicore support will also help Intel cpu's so at the end of the day I would say that it would be wise to invest in Intel. Either way you should be fine after DayZ is optimized.

Only time will tell though! Hopefully DayZ switches over to a more gpu intensive game with the new renderer and optimizations.

• Like 2

Yup, you are right. Eventually the game will be optimized for multicore cpu's so yes performance may increase greatly on AMD cpu's. Even so, the benefits of multicore support will also help Intel cpu's so at the end of the day I would say that it would be wise to invest in Intel. Either way you should be fine after DayZ is optimized.

Only time will tell though! Hopefully DayZ switches over to a more gpu intensive game with the new renderer and optimizations.

Yes most defiantly. 

Intel makes nice cpu's. I currently run intel on two out of my three machines. But in the the mid-range market AMD offers great multithreaded performance for the price point. The mid range is a mixed bag especially if a guy is already invested in a particular platform.  I only recommend the 6350 in this case since the OP already owns the motherboard. 

Also dear OP, make sure your motherboard is AM3+ compatible before you buy

I found with my old amd cpus that fps on arma scaled nice with clockspeed and core count didnt matter much, once above and beyond 4ghz the game plays fine even on athlon 750k, both my brothers use oc'd 760k's. Another option and the one I use now is a used ivy bridge, costs around the same as amd and my fps is great even in cities though I can still feel a little stutter despite the increased fps but its not a problem.