Avant-Garde

Craftable spears!

Thats the sugestion, craftable spears where you could throw at all your friends face or poke them buts with a good long range melee craftable weapon. Imo it would be nice if it had a GOOD stab animation, differently from the pitchfork that is so bad its not even funny.

Its advantage over the almighty axe would be range, you could poke things from a safer distance if your "footwork" is decent + stab animations make it somehow easier to aim, also you could throw them at your opponent's chest for extra lols (hard as hell to hit thou). The downsides could be its durability, since its a craftable thing it could break faster then other melee weapons that you find.

Idk what you would need to craft it, of course a long and thick piece of wood, a knife or something to either sharp it or attach to it.

Maybe you could use it to catch some fish too. I would totally go medieval with a bow + spear charging in Elektro for glory and honor. What you guys think?

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 3

sure it'd be nice but it shouldn't be implemented to early.

i dont know if dean is still going for it but he said by the time dayz comes out thousands of items would be created, wich is certainly to create in game situations wich would be similar to the road (only post appocaliptic book i read feel free to suggest some others i should read) where you could bluff, at the moment i feel like once you get either an akm or the mosin (even more since the added 5rnds clips ) you r pretty much imortal if you are careful enough.

a spear would be over powered even if it took  your primary weapon slot, you wouldnt hear where it came from and if you tried bandaging yourself you are pretty much dead.

It would be a good tool for hunters or role playing bandits where you could wait for your victim to bleed out tho.

Furthermore, it might be possible soon since they added the possibilty to throw weapons ad sharpen your axe, i feel like this more like something that could be added in later mods

Stick + bayonet/ kitchen knife/ screwdriver for an effective (but maybe fragile, so it breaks after a while) melee weapon sounds good. Adding rope to the recipe makes sense, but rope is so damn rare, by the time you find any you'll probably have a fireaxe.

• Like 1

we should be able to make makeshift rope out of rags. Lots and lots of rags.

Stick + bayonet/ kitchen knife/ screwdriver for an effective (but maybe fragile, so it breaks after a while) melee weapon sounds good. Adding rope to the recipe makes sense, but rope is so damn rare, by the time you find any you'll probably have a fireaxe.

dont forget our lord and savior, duct tape!

• Like 2

Both, rope&duct tape, are way harder to find than it should be.

I mean, at least each 2nd civilian-house should have 2-6m of rope and  maybe 1-2m of duct-tape.

Hell, in industrial areas 80-90% of the garages and halls should have 1-2m of D-tape.

Thats true man, this could give a nice use to the duct tape!

I just made a pretty nice spear out of the bottom of a beer bottle and a wooden broomstick.

Knapped the glass bottle to a razor edge, then lashed it to the ready-made slot in the broomstick. Boom! I was armed.

I was able to put the spear completely through an archery backstop target with only a modicum of effort.

• Like 1

Thats the sugestion, craftable spears where you could throw at all your friends face or poke them buts with a good long range melee craftable weapon. Imo it would be nice if it had a GOOD stab animation, differently from the pitchfork that is so bad its not even funny.

Its advantage over the almighty axe would be range, you could poke things from a safer distance if your "footwork" is decent + stab animations make it somehow easier to aim, also you could throw them at your opponent's chest for extra lols (hard as hell to hit thou). The downsides could be its durability, since its a craftable thing it could break faster then other melee weapons that you find.

Idk what you would need to craft it, of course a long and thick piece of wood, a knife or something to either sharp it or attach to it.

Maybe you could use it to catch some fish too. I would totally go medieval with a bow + spear charging in Elektro for glory and honor. What you guys think?

for the future yeah, not now though, there's one million things to fix and add that's more important atm.

This is one thing that apparently many people on this forum don't (or don't want to) understand: weapons from times past were effective at killing things. Just because something doesn't fire a bullet doesn't mean it won't drop something. 

Spears were one of the first weapons invented by man, and has been continuously and heavily used over it's 40,000+ lifespan for the simple reason of it's effectiveness. Take the versatility and lethality (especially in an environment where advanced medical treatment AKA internal surgery is unavailable, ala Day Z Chernarus) of a knife, and add reach by adding a 5-7 foot-long pole.  Boom, you have a weapon that can be used in a multitude of situations, all while keeping you relatively safe ( due to distance)

One thing people have to realize is that melee and "primitive" weapons (like bows and slings) are, in the age of firearms, ambush weapons. A bow or a spear will never win in a one-on-one straight up fight against a firearm. However, striking from ambush, the "primitive" weapon will be just as effective as the firearm, with the added benefit of being silent.

• Like 1

This is one thing that apparently many people on this forum don't (or don't want to) understand: weapons from times past were effective at killing things. Just because something doesn't fire a bullet doesn't mean it won't drop something. 

Spears were one of the first weapons invented by man, and has been continuously and heavily used over it's 40,000+ lifespan for the simple reason of it's effectiveness. Take the versatility and lethality (especially in an environment where advanced medical treatment AKA internal surgery is unavailable, ala Day Z Chernarus) of a knife, and add reach by adding a 5-7 foot-long pole.  Boom, you have a weapon that can be used in a multitude of situations, all while keeping you relatively safe ( due to distance)

One thing people have to realize is that melee and "primitive" weapons (like bows and slings) are, in the age of firearms, ambush weapons. A bow or a spear will never win in a one-on-one straight up fight against a firearm. However, striking from ambush, the "primitive" weapon will be just as effective as the firearm, with the added benefit of being silent.

Yeah I agree with you man, its sort of a logical thing to have in this game Imo and it would add a lot to the ambush tactics in the game, imagine you and 2 more fresh-spawns make some spears and bows to ambush/outsmart that tacticool operator with his badass m4. Would be awesome lol

But thinking in gameplay, I think it would be nice for it to be one of the easiest weapons to get, the thing that will give you more chances to live as a fresh-respawn and if this is the case, it would need to be easy to get. The pole is the problem here, were would you find it, or where would you gather it? Would you need tools to get this pole from something in the nature? If so, its viability as one of the first things you get would be lower and you would have no reason to do it if you could easily find an axe or a farming hoe.

But, if it is hard to make and you might find other melee weapons while you search for things to make the spear, then it could be a medium-good tier melee weapon, which comunicates better with what Whyherro123 said up here Imo, and if that is the case, I think its durability should be better to compensate for the hard work you had finding everything needed for it and make it viable when you compare it to the axes.

Personaly, I think that a spear should be better for melee then an axe, if you think about it, the axe might get you in a facehug range fighing zeds/survivors while the spear allows you to poke their heads from a safer distance, or even throw at them. Would be cool to make like 3-4 spears, so you throw some of them but keep one with you for the melee. Or even maybe 2 kinds of spears, one that is a bit smaller, great for throwing at someone's chest, and another that is bigger, like a bit smaller then a person, so you can poke things in melee without to much problem.

Imo firearms should be rarer, and to make this viable we might need some good melee weapons.

Edited by Avant-Garde
  • Like 1

-snip-

Your point concerning different-sized spears, for different purposes, is exactly what happened in real life. An "infantry" (read: stabby pokey) spear is between 5 to 7 feet long (only the shaft, mind), while a "javelin" (read: throwy) spear is only about 3 feet long. The longer spear is for stabbing, and is usually not all that balanced for throwing, while the javelin could be thrown with ease.

I agree with your point about firearms, especially ammunition. Where are these stacks of bullets coming from? What factories are producing them?

• Like 1

We need so many more craft able weapons ! All yooz guyz's idea's are pretty good aaay

nice idea ! it should be craftable with ashwood sticks ,duct tape or rope and knives or a machete !

with the machete you wont be able to throw it but it would do more dmg :)

also you shouldnt be allowed to carry more than 2 ( to be realistic) 

Edited by VaTiS