Super_Duty

Experimental Branch: 0.48 Discussion

Yeah, picking apples because I'm starving to death is how I want to spend my free-time playing this survival game.  @.@

Currently, I think the lack of good loot respawning is a huge issue.   These Experimental servers should be packed like they were not too long ago.   No one wants to login to run for hundreds of kilometers and find only crap loot.   The hit-box or lag issue, whatever it is, needs to be fixed.   I can't tell you how many times my axe visibly has gone through a zombies head and torso and no damage is taken.  Yet, I can clearly be behind a zombie and take their damage.   Pretty frustrating.

Want me to give you few links to the finished GAMES. This is not a GAME my friend!

You do realize that I'm clearly communicating about the current DayZ Standalone Alpha Experimental version .48, hence the name of the forum, "Experimental Patch Discussion"?   This forum, and in particular this very thread, is not for pointing out the very obvious state of development of this game, as it is already very clear to everyone commenting in this thread.

If you dislike seeing people comment about their DayZ Standalone Experimental Patch experiences then I suggest you stop reading through these threads in a forum clearly designed for such comments.

Want me to give you few links to the finished GAMES. This is not a GAME my friend!

Just read your post again mate

Let's bring it down a notch... all good points from both perspectives.  This is a journey, sometimes you love it, sometimes you hate it, and I've been on both sides.  We are all allowed to express our opinions, in context.  With out this, the developers have nothing to go on. 

You do realize that I'm clearly communicating about the current DayZ Standalone Alpha Experimental version .48, hence the name of the forum, "Experimental Patch Discussion"?   This forum, and in particular this very thread, is not for pointing out the very obvious state of development of this game, as it is already very clear to everyone commenting in this thread.

If you dislike seeing people comment about their DayZ Standalone Experimental Patch experiences then I suggest you stop reading through these threads in a forum clearly designed for such comments.

Yeah, picking apples because I'm starving to death is how I want to spend my free-time playing this survival game. @.@

Currently, I think the lack of good loot respawning is a huge issue. These Experimental servers should be packed like they were not too long ago. No one wants to login to run for hundreds of kilometers and find only crap loot. The hit-box or lag issue, whatever it is, needs to be fixed. I can't tell you how many times my axe visibly has gone through a zombies head and torso and no damage is taken. Yet, I can clearly be behind a zombie and take their damage. Pretty frustrating.

Actually, you're playing a survival game, so that should very much be what you want to do. If you want to play a shooter, there are more than enough of them out there. Sometimes you might get lucky scavenging and hit upon some easy canned food but other times you have to forage or hunt because otherwise, yes, you will starve. Dig up and eat some earthworms if you have to. There are even tabs you can find and eat that'll counter the negatives of eating rotten things in dire situations. If starvation isn't a real threat, none of those gameplay options have a purpose. If starvation isn't a serious threat, at least before you've established a minimum of supplies, then the hunger mechanic loses meaning and with it a significant part of the survival aspect of this survival game.

These latest loot changes bring us closer to a world where starvation is a credible threat.

Edited by Ebrim

Got my butt kicked earlier today, damn Zed's!  Though I did not succumb to my wounds, my ass was kicked repeatedly after giving up using melee.  Locked and loaded,  my shiny brand new pristine AKM with four, yes 4, 30 round mags, no problem. I figured I was good to go, WRONG!!!  I was in Bolota, popped off a round looting the barracks to make some distance, what a mistake.  One Zed turns into two, then four, and as fast as you can think it's WTF and I'm  running away like some noob.  Up the hill, down the hill, around buildings and finally go prone in a mix of pine trees to patch up my bleeding ass.  This is on HC btw, and guess what, I wouldn't have it any other way!  Phucking Zed bitches!!!  Speaking of noobs, you better have your wits about you before joining an HC server.  Luvin it!

Edited by Super_Duty

If you want starvation like you would encounter in a Post-Apocalyptic world, adding the realism of the time it takes to pick an apple and fail at gathering (which is completely unrealistic)…  Well, then please fight to have the following in-game:

Have broken bones take months to heal!

Have morphine do nothing to fix broken bones.

Have sewing kits take many minutes to fix minor damage.

Have bodily functions happen constantly after eating food and drinking liquids.

There are multitudes of other unrealistic parts of the game that would make this game too time consuming if they were set more realistic.   That kind of game would be extremely unappealing to play.   I have over 800+ hours in this game and I can even see that there needs to be some time balance considerations integrated into this game.   I’m not talking about FPS, at all.   I’m talking about valuable human free-time here, people.

If you want to develop a game where you can starve to death picking apples and run through looted towns looking through the useless crap others have thrown away, more power to you!   I want to make sure that the developers know that is the wrong direction to take.   That can be more of a focus for PVE server admins.

• Like 2

Got my butt kicked earlier today, damn Zed's!  Though I did not succumb to my wounds, my ass was kicked repeatedly after giving up using melee.  Locked and loaded,  my shiny brand new pristine AKM with four, yes 4, 30 round mags, no problem. I figured I was good to go, WRONG!!!  I was in Bolota, popped off a round looting the barracks to make some distance, what a mistake.  One Zed turns into two, then four, and as fast as you can think it's WTF and I'm  running away like some noob.  Up the hill, down the hill, around buildings and finally go prone in a mix of pine trees to patch up my bleeding ass.  This is on HC btw, and guess what, I wouldn't have it any other way!  Phucking Zed bitches!!!  Speaking of noobs, you better have your wits about you before joining an HC server.  Luvin it!

I just had four coming out of nowhere. Was in Karmanovka, nothing around (had just checked before), and suddenly there were 4 zeds running in my direction. Seems like they just spawned. That's the other example, how it shouldn't be.

Me and a friend have managed to get to the stage where we have what we need to survive zombies, hunger and environment. It took a while, but it is a lot more fun than .47 where you get bored after a few hours. It wasn't easy, he died multiple times, but I inherited his gear and my character got pretty powerful when we got lucky and found a mosin in the back of a car. We also found a blazer, a .22 and a couple of shotguns. None of them where it was obvious to look. Found plenty of ammo for the mosin along with an LR scope and a compensator.

When we ran around the map searching for matches (that took a while but the journey was great) we saw door were open on most of the obvious buildings in most of the small cities and all of the large ones, so it seems that some players aren't even bothered with checking everything. That's how we made it. PS: I never ate one berry, or picked one apple to survive. I survived on canned food all until we were able too cook hunted animals.

Yes, most houses were empty, but it all changed when we came to a city where all loot had respawned (bonanza!). We found plenty of tools and melee weapons, food, clothing backpacks. And we could now make a fire and hunt for food, as we found matches! Fishing doesn't work to well, but hunting a cow equipped with fire axes to stay stealthy is pretty damn funny. You might guess it, but we didn't find all this loot close to any airfield, or any of the major cities.

Being in one of the small cities, we server hopped to see if we were just lucky on this server. Nope, we found loot in it on other servers as well. I'm not saying the loot system is great, I'm guessing it broken (hard to say when you don't know what you're looking at..), but it is a lot better like this than it is on 47. Add loot spawns to some buildings that are missing them completely or don't have enough, fix loot respawn but make it so that it doesn't respawn loot everywhere and all the time (completely random to when, and relative to where the player is located), clean up loot that has already spawned on a timer or something smart, and make sure some loot is hard to find (like projectile weapons and ammo) while some stuff is easy (like clothes, backpacks and tools).

• Like 1

Interesting Note: I dropped some backpacks full of junk for a test about 12 hours ago on a server. Checked them now again, some stuff in those backpacks vanished, either someone found it or whats more likely those items in the container degraded and vanished over time.

As smasht already cited Peter (Nespesny?), in the latest status report:

"In certain cases intentionally, in others, accidentally. Some items may even remain located somewhere in the woods and to never be found out by anyone, forever.

The first iteration of our cleanup system is quite simple, it adds to all player owned and dropped items a lifetime. The lifetime is observed by the server, and once the item reaches the lifetime cap, it is deleted and brand new loot can be respawned elsewhere in the map."

... to answer that question.

Yeah, picking apples because I'm starving to death is how I want to spend my free-time playing this survival game.  @.@

Currently, I think the lack of good loot respawning is a huge issue.   These Experimental servers should be packed like they were not too long ago.   No one wants to login to run for hundreds of kilometers and find only crap loot.   The hit-box or lag issue, whatever it is, needs to be fixed.   I can't tell you how many times my axe visibly has gone through a zombies head and torso and no damage is taken.  Yet, I can clearly be behind a zombie and take their damage.   Pretty frustrating.

I do understand certain implementation problems, because I'm a studied software developer and I'm scripting SQF (Bohemia's Scripting Language) myself (just for fun). So please let me explain my point of view here:

What does "Alpha" mean in terms of DayZ? Well, adapted from this Wikipedia article, Alpha means to implement as many features as possible without primarily caring about the "bug freeness" of the game. This also means that for the sake of usability, some things might temporary be done differently than planned. In our case for instance the fact that melee attacks on a zombie do not work by hit detection (since version 0.48.124699 I believe), but instead are dependent on whether or not your cursor was on that zombie when you clickt the left mouse button to attack.

Secondly, I wonder why there's such a big discussion about gear. In the current state of the game, I can understand why people get bored fairly quickly, because there's few things they can do except for lootin' and shootin' ©™ ;). So, imho there's a lack of functionality and interaction.

Of course, there's certain stuff you can interact with, the environment and other players. And the hunting and crafting aspect is also growing. But I'm very patiently waiting for "more awesome" features to come, inspired by DayZ Epoch for instance. But I don't think that's gonna happen before Beta, because it seems to me that the current focus is really loot/gear and some crafting.

So, what's my point? Well, ... probably it's this "usual" hint that you shouldn't be playing the game in it's current state if you're not very patient and/or you're interested in actively participating in the development process by reporting bugs, glitches and providing feedback on specific gameplay aspects.

Discussing new features and gear - fine.

Complaining about it for being OP, UP, senseless or whatsoever - fine.

Complaining about bugs and glitches in an alpha state game - not senseful. (REPORT THEM IN THE FEEDBACK TRACKER!!!)

Best regards,

Johnny

Edited by Heeeere's Johnny
  • Like 3

No one wants to login to run for hundreds of kilometers and find only crap loot.   

You're not speaking for me. I like the way the game is going. Why frustrate yourself. Go play some other game where you're fully geared up in 5 secs. There are plenty of them out there.

• Like 5

Then stop saying no one like you did on the other post. Comments should be "I don't like" not "no one likes" because you certainly aren't speaking for me.

• Like 1

I  I’m talking about valuable human free-time here, people.

Then choose another game to play. Simple, wasn't it.

If you want starvation like you would encounter in a Post-Apocalyptic world, adding the realism of the time it takes to pick an apple and fail at gathering (which is completely unrealistic)…  Well, then please fight to have the following in-game:

Have broken bones take months to heal!

Have morphine do nothing to fix broken bones.

Have sewing kits take many minutes to fix minor damage.

Have bodily functions happen constantly after eating food and drinking liquids.

There are multitudes of other unrealistic parts of the game that would make this game too time consuming if they were set more realistic.   That kind of game would be extremely unappealing to play.   I have over 800+ hours in this game and I can even see that there needs to be some time balance considerations integrated into this game.   I’m not talking about FPS, at all.   I’m talking about valuable human free-time here, people.

If you want to develop a game where you can starve to death picking apples and run through looted towns looking through the useless crap others have thrown away, more power to you!   I want to make sure that the developers know that is the wrong direction to take.   That can be more of a focus for PVE server admins.

Totally agreee

• Like 1

I think you wılll finally choose another game to play because I really dont think Dayz wıll be boring game like how its now. I recomended you start to search new game for you. Devs not that stupid they know what to do for gain much players and they wont make this game how you want. you can be sure wait and see.

Edited by KingofTheWorld

on the way to Cherno in a green morphine house

I've got 350+ hours on the Standalone and I have not the slightest clue what you mean by "green morphine house".

You can get rid of the hotbar instantly when pressing the key left of "1" on top of "tab". (On my keyboard it's "/".)

just FYI its called "Tildy"

It's actually "tilde" (the ~ key), but I'm splitting hairs with that comment. Also, that only applies to English keyboards as far as I know. 

• Like 1

you can be sure wait and see.

Listen, developers design a game because they think they have a good concept. I'm not talking about copycat devs who are trying to make a quick buck copying a popular game. Dean came up with a fantastic concept. As the popularity of the mod and then SA has confirmed. Look at my signature. Others may suggest that that is just a tagline to sell a game. I look at it more of a mission statement. I base that on several interviews Dean had done. If these devs stay true to that vision, the game will turn out more like I think it will. If however the original devs are overruled and start to focus on your desire of play  (mainly SOLELY PvP with zombie and survival icing) it will turn out like you think.

We "shall" wait and see. And when it happens ba-bye.

Edited by RAM-bo4250
  • Like 1

Trol lol lol !

Kid don't let the door hit you on the way out . No , on second thought let it hit you hard ... I'm a fan boy and I bench 210 come at me alleycat polo lol.

But seriously enough of your complaining/insults to people who can see quality you have a right to tell us how you feel and you have every right to an opinion but please realize quality for what it is and relax when you find "game breaking bugs" cuz you will find a lot more but it doesn't mean this game is crap ... Lemme ask you something though alleycat :

Have you ever participated in an early access alpha before ? I have about three times , one the stomping land , game fucking failed and is now finally coming out of the darkness again after the devs went silent for 3 months , elder scrolls online (which despite being a multi billion dollar company the game had no substance to it in early access stage and a LOT of bugs ) and lastly Mortuus insanis a mod of a mod of a crap game called warZ (that early acces was a joke anyways but still it goes to show early access is NEVER a walk in the park , but out of all of the crap early access out there dayz is BY FAR the best) , so please if you're unhappy with this game and want to find another go do that , but if you're willing to wait for the greatness that is dayz then well be here waiting too ;).

Edited by Boneboys

Troll lol lol !

Why do people frustrate themselves so? Just shelve the game until it's finished. Let the rest of us run around for hours to try and find that newly added tidbit. There are thousands of games out there to enjoy. 

• Like 1

Thank you for the explanation (First person I have seen to give a very good explanation of Alpha thank you) "Heeerse's Johnny". I can now understand better what is going on and it is good to get all the things the devs want within the game.  And yes I understand there are and will be bugs in the game as it is.  But you just have to look at the amount of people playing on the exp servers to see people are voting with there feet (Metaphorically speaking) with all the current bugs.  And you can see the big list of bugs on the "bugs report" list for 0.48.  The game is slowly becoming unplayable which then means no one is playing in large enough numbers to see if the new features that are implemented work well or not.

The way the game is now I find I can't play at the moment as a bambi because the spawn points have been looted to death and the first zed I come across kills me as he can hit me all the time yet I can only hit him 50% of the time.  Even with a melee weapon 1 zed can and has taken me down easily.  This should not be the case it should be the other way round. It is the bleed that they inflict that I find takes me out more often than not. And if I do survive then my health is so poor the next zed I come a cross sneezes on me and I'm out as I haven't recovered.  I have not been able to find any food (and yes I have done the apple picking and what a wast of time).  How is this helping the devs test the new systems? I have had a character survive for a day in exp, but I think that is more luck than any thing else. And yes I do run away from zeds, but it is a catch 22 because chances are I will  run into another zed before I have found any food or bandages. I don't want it easy as it is good that we have to go looking for things now, but fixing things like the zed hit detection would go a long way as this has been a problem for some time and it is now biting the devs in the ass so to speak.  Any way lets hope for a better future for the game as it was an excellent game at the start and would still be now if it had less bugs.  Because what is the point of us reporting things if they don't get fixed even on alpha.

You appear to be sensitive to other players posting about this lovely gem of a game and I'm sorry that you are this way.   I think I will continue to post about DayZ Standalone.   Maybe there's another game for you, as well?  Simple, wasn't it?

Edited by Shinjuru
  • Like 1

I just wanna say that I haven't found a thing about experimental that has made me think that it's too hard ...

The only ones dying of starvation , and don't take this the wrong way , are the ones who "can't be bothered" to spend an hour searching inland while sustaining themselves on apples or berries

.. And for zombies you just need to stay away from them (don't run away STAY away , I've crawled past many , it's the ones further from you that detect you easier for some reason ) and if you do get in a battle with them zeds , never run into a building (some Zeds at certain buildings can now be "locked out" by closing the doors but many Zeds still walk through certain walls ) and never run away from one zombie because you will only attract more , just kill that zed with your fists if you have no weapon and move on making sure to spin around the zed while punching zzz

Always make sure to keep rags in two different areas so zombies don't ruin all your rags , and never shoot zombies in a town unless you're prepared to fight like 30 lol ..

Edited by Grapefruit kush
  • Like 1