Mjones (DayZ)

Remove LRS from Mosin?

What's wrong with the Mosin having a rail?

I'm pretty sure it would have only been used for hunting anyway, just say they're all custom and be done with it.

I wouldn't mind needing a screwdriver and time to tinker with it to switch or just remove scopes though.

http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/scope-bases/rifle-bases/moisin-nagant-scope-mounting-system-prod78.aspx fortunately we already use the 9130 so the bolt handle is already bent. unfortunately the 9130 in the real world is horribly rare and expensive.

.......Im sorry, did you just say the Mosin Nagant is rare and expensive?

He must not own firearms, don't worry.

He must not own firearms, don't worry.

SHE! Please let Elle be a she :(

no I said the 91/30 with the bent bolt handle (the actual sniper variant) was rare and expensive back in the days when I first bought a mosin. I bought the model 1891 which was common as dirt and I paid 75 bucks for it. the ammo was expensive as fuck in those days however.

sometimes I forget that I started shooting long before most of the people here were even born. a lot has changed over the years.

SHE! Please let Elle be a she :(

rest easy my friend - I am a she. but that's all in my profile, I see no reason to hide the fact that I am an old lady that plays video games.

no I said the 91/30 with the bent bolt handle (the actual sniper variant) was rare and expensive back in the days when I first bought a mosin. I bought the model 1891 which was common as dirt and I paid 75 bucks for it. the ammo was expensive as fuck in those days however.

sometimes I forget that I started shooting long before most of the people here were even born. a lot has changed over the years.

rest easy my friend - I am a she. but that's all in my profile, I see no reason to hide the fact that I am an old lady that plays video games.

and I can sleep easy at night once again.

There's nothing wrong with being an old lady that plays video games. I'm still in my twenties but according to online studies I have the mental attitude of a 66 year old. I'm not sure if it's the beard.. or the pipe.

But I have a peeve for people who refer to a she as a he or a he as a she. It really aggravates me. It's only occurred to me know that I could have taken a look at your profile..

• Like 1

ah ok, good. I thought you meant the basic 91/30 was rare and expensive.Reeeeaaaly confused me there

All these negative posts about my suggestion, and now it's happening.

I guess the dev's are more into the authentic feel, just as I.

they say duct tape can fix everything 8-)

I think they should remove the capability of mounting the LRS on the Mosin. Realistically speaking, it is pretty impossible to mount a scope other than the PU scope (side mount) to the Mosin without heavy modification. 

Also hoping they will fix the PU scope magnification.

With the new CZ Rifle coming out, it is best reserved for that rifle instead, as it is more suitable.

Thoughts? 

nothing is impossible.

like the mosin, the sks used to be "impossible" to mount a scope to. then they invented modified receiver covers and then this ingenius invention which is amazing and easy to install as well

http://magwedge.com/products/rifle-accessories/magwedge-sks-full-length-kwik-rail/

i'd love to see those incorporated in the game, allowing any optic to be mounted :)

ACTUALLY OP

If you look at the mosin we're given.

The bolt is already bent. MEANING that modification is already done.

I'll keep my LR scope thanks.

I DO NOT support this blasphemy.

I think the official word is that LRS will not be mountable on the mosin without modification. That is to say, it may be possible through crafting to make an LRS mount eventually but a standard (unmodified) LRS will not fit on a standard mosin. This also seems like the most ideal situation.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 2

if we were to go this route then SKS wouldn't have scope either becuase the receiver cover rails don't hold zero well and otherwise yo'd have to drill and tap a mount onto the receiver to add side scope.

if we were to go this route then SKS wouldn't have scope either becuase the receiver cover rails don't hold zero well and otherwise yo'd have to drill and tap a mount onto the receiver to add side scope.

Hopefully this is done when we get another realism pass with the weapons.

Many rifles require drilling and tapping to add a scope. The expectation of having already existing rails is a new one. There's nothing really special about needing to drill and tape the rifle. Hell, it needs to be drilled and tapped to take the PU scope! The SKS has a flat rail that needs to be attached, and the Mosin has a rounded one. And using the side of the receiver, you could attach different scopes and rails than the PU scope. (The SKS was originally designed to take the PU scope, but using a side rail, which is still the only method I'd bother with, I've seen a plethora of scopes used on the sks. I'm partial to the zrak line.

I'm waiting for SVD with x4 scope and I think guns should be as close as possible how they in real life. I know mosin has PU scope only so I'm fine with it.

Edited by TechNin9

I'm waiting for SVD with x4 scope and I think guns should be as close as possible how they in real life. I know mosin has PU scope only so I'm fine with it.

Wrong. Wow, first google image search of a mosin with a scope actually turned up a scope other than a PU scope.

You must be supremely lazy.

Mosin_4.jpg

Note how it's not a PU scope.

Woa jeez look at this scope, I wonder if it's long range!

325074_02__sold_mosin_nagant_sniper_rifl

I just can't figure out how all these rifles have scopes that aren't PUs, and some even have bipods! It must be in the aftermarket stock. Note how the scope is attached to a scope mount which is attached to the receiver. Clearly, it's in the stocks.

maxresdefault.jpg

Well there goes that idea! I guess mosins are capable of taking a wide variety of optics so long as you attach a rail to the upper side of the receiver, or drill and tap a side mount. Hell, it even takes the bipod!

Then again, if half this forum would pull their head out of their asses and head on down to the local dunham's/mc sports/etc, they'd find not only are mosins dirt cheap, but the PU scope isn't even the most common way of mounting optics! It's used by people who want to recreate the classic look, whereas modern American optics, most with greater (double or triple) zoom than the PU scope are actually MORE common.

Meh meh meh, this is Chernarus, why would they have modern American optics, they are a poor eastern european country just out of a civil war!

A better question would be why would they be mounting either original PU scopes (sorta rare) or purchasing replicas (needless, as better things can be made for the same money).

So let's take a $100 rifle, and find historically accurate optics issued in limited numbers, or newer, better, crisper modern optics which can be mounted just as easily.

Or we could stop pretending there's any attempt at realism and just admit it's being done for balance. The mosin nagant was a crap sniper rifle, not because of it's inability to accept optics, or it's inability to take a bipod. It's an inaccurate rifle, period. (usually) (except for the finnish version) (this is not a finnish version)

Or maybe the fact that they all have bent bolts means they're all "exceptionally accurate ex snipers". That's the only solution I can find.

Maybe I'll ask the guy behind the gun counter at the local mc sports, I'm sure he can help me out.

Not sure what any of that is trying to prove.

You can mount anything on anything given enough time and effort.

Does that mean we need this in the game ?

ZabZof4.jpg

Or perhaps this for the derringer ?

gbNi1ys.jpg

Within the context of a survival game and a world where resources are scarce sticking strictly to mil surp and realistic weapon attachments is the best course of action.

giving the players the ability to attach optics and accessories that would ordinarily be quite difficult and require substantial work would be counter productive for immersion especially within the world of Dayz where the world supposedly ended and the logistical sources that would ordinarily make these things possible have all dried up.

So sticking to realistic/common and plausible attachments is the best approach.

Let gun barbie playtime exist in other games where immersion does not matter thus pink scar hs with teddy bear decals don't matter.

eMSeSna.jpg

Edited by gibonez
  • Haha 1

Not sure what any of that is trying to prove.

You can mount anything on anything given enough time and effort.

Does that mean we need this in the game ?

ZabZof4.jpg

Or perhaps this for the derringer ?

gbNi1ys.jpg

Within the context of a survival game and a world where resources are scarce sticking strictly to mil surp and realistic weapon attachments is the best course of action.

giving the players the ability to attach optics and accessories that would ordinarily be quite difficult and require substantial work would be counter productive for immersion especially within the world of Dayz where the world supposedly ended and the logistical sources that would ordinarily make these things possible have all dried up.

So sticking to realistic/common and plausible attachments is the best approach.

Let gun barbie playtime exist in other games where immersion does not matter thus pink scar hs with teddy bear decals don't matter.

eMSeSna.jpg

gibonez, you clearly missed by point, and missed it hard. I'm saying that it is MORE common for mosins to have modern day commercial scopes than old PU scopes. Period. Period. Period. I can take my mosin (I own one, thanks) into any gunsmith, and pay him to slap a scope on it. A good scope. Either on the side, or on top of the receiver. But try to find a PU scope? You'll have to go to ebay, or gunbroker, or a milsurp forum to buy it from some guy. Or maybe classic arms or jgsales. My point is, is that any idiot teenager in the US can go out and buy a mosin for (it was $100 when I did it) and throw whatever optics they have onto it. And if I can get a decent 8x scope or whatever for cheaper than a PU scope, and more readily available, why on earth would I expect to see a PU scope? Do you own a mosin gibonez, did you scope it? I bought a chinese knock off of a PU scope to throw on my SKS (4x is entirely acceptable for the 7.62x39 round) and let me say that I prefer the zrak. (also a 4x scope, but far more modern). To be honest, I didn't even buy my mosin as a shooter, I just bought one with pretty tiger striping on the stock. My shooting gun is my k31 for longer distances (I'm still young and broke, don't judge me). For which I plan on buying the st. marie clamp on scope mount, and then finding whichever [optic] I find the most useful.

Listen, the mosin nagant is a weapon with old (imo crappy) sights. Old farts want to throw something on it to let them aim, so it's very common to see scoped mosins. However, as I said, PU scopes are meant more for collectors and not necessarily shooters or hunters, though of course one can be both (I know I am).

Anyway to wrap this up, you're supposed to keep your weed in the buttstocks of guns, not put weed decals on them. (The cosmoline and oils and wood help to mask the smell a bit). That's right, I used to keep my stash in the buttstock of my sks. But I got tired of squished and broken buds, and my state passed its medical thing, so no more fucks given.

I found this image with a Mosin Nagat with some type of LRS scope maybe add a rail you need to find to attach

Here is the Image I found

maxresdefault.jpg