commanderbash

DUCK TAPE used for labels

duck tape for labels  

16 members have voted

1. 1. would you like to use duck tape to make a label for a container

• yes
    • no
    • huh?

although there are limitless uses for duck tape, especially in an apocalyptic environment, one that I'd want to address is labeling items, specially:

first aid bags

pelican cases

blood bags(full)

ammo cans

duck tape takes pen ink surprisingly well and can be used to put labels on items not easily written upon, for anyone who's had to handle multiple of the above, they know how it can be a little tedious, and in the case of blood bags extremely dangerous, to not know which container contains what, for example, once I'm fully kitted I usually have one pelican case full of canteens, another full of food, and a third full of misc. items, sometimes I have two med kits, one with bandages, one with other medical items, and on a rare occasion, blood bags get mixed up, and have to be thrown away for fear of death.

these could all be remedied by allowing us to write a 12 character string on these items that comes up in large bold font when we hover over them

for example of pelican cases I could write " FOOD", "MEDS","MISC.","WATER" it would be a very quick way of identifying which is which 

for blood bags you could write the type "O+" "AB-", or if you don't know the type or don't want it easily plundered you could just write the players name for whom it came from ex. "BASH'S BLOOD"

plus to realistically change what you wrote on a container, you'd just have to put duck tape on it again, which to me sounds like it would make for simple coding.

so how about it? want to use this as a starting point for duck tape uses?

• Like 1

The idea does seem interesting but I can't imagine always having a marker with me. If this is implemented into the game it would have to be now or never, or in a rare occasion at the end product. Since we need this and the code would be short and keep our things organised. I give the idea 7/10! I wouldn't use it once implemented, maybe once I have lots of time on my shoulders than I would consider stopping somewhere with a bunch of duct tape and a marker organizing all my items.

If you could pick up a permanent pen couldn't you just write directly on an object?

If you could pick up a permanent pen couldn't you just write directly on an object?

Maybe some objects are slippery? I don't know but it seems more DayZ themed to use a duct tape, Haha I know it's stupid of thinking that but I always want us to have to look for the loot and use it once we see it.

• Like 1

Maybe some objects are slippery? I don't know but it seems more DayZ themed to use a duct tape, Haha I know it's stupid of thinking that but I always want us to have to look for the loot and use it once we see it.

Indeed, look what the Mythbusters achieved with duck tape ;)

• Like 1

markers would work regardless, but we have duck tape and pens in the game already, and since neither can be erased, putting duck tape over a previous label actually makes sense as a way to change the label

they all have their (possible) reasons  to need a better writing surface for a pen that duck tape would provide:

I'd be afraid to puncture a blood bag with a pen

for ammo cans, some paints are scuff resistant, making them also pen resistant (would very poorly take the ink)

the synthetic fabric of the first aid kit can also be resistant to pens dependent on the type of synthetic fiber

and the plastic of the pelican case,, again, can be resistant to marks including pens

they're all poor writing surfaces for a pen, and there's no need to add markers for this purpose, also how you could explain changing a label you made with a marker, pen and tape fit this job perfectly

and it really wouldn't use much duck tape, even a dollar store roll with a few feet should be enough to make 5-10 labels

I cannot see why this idea has yet to be put into the game. I mean we already can use the pen to write a note on a piece of paper so logically speaking there should not be much coding changes needed to support writing on duct tape. That means that the only really work load would be implementing the ability to use duct tape as a label.

Great idea here!  I'm not sure how the hover-to-read mechanic would work, but it would be cool if it carried to notes.

Other things to label: doors, gas/water jerrycans, poison/safe canteens, guns left for friends at common stash points, backpacks in similar situations, vehicle doors--to notify familiar players of ownership.

I really hope someone is working on this already.

Edited by emuthreat