vibby

What has DayZ taught you?

So we've all learned a thing or two from our DayZ days and I thought it would be nice to share it with the community. Please avoid silly things such as "I've learned to shoot everyone and everything I see"

Okay so I'll go first! :3

A list of the few things I've learned:

• Improved map-reading skills

• Basics of the russian language

• Some people only want what is best for themselves

• Run away = Live to survive another day (wow that actually rhymed D:)

So that was that, feel free to share what you guys have learned from playing DayZ!

Edit: And I hope I posted this in the right section :s

Edited by Igor197

Always look both ways before crossing the airfield...

In all seriousness I try desperately to keep scanning as I move so that I (hopefully) notice other players. Likewise I carefully observe somewhere, usually from multiple angles before moving in.

Nothing, it's a video game. If I want to learn something, I'll go to the library.

• Like 4

Nothing, it's a video game. If I want to learn something, I'll go to the library.

Sheesh man, can you be any more blunt on a simple thread?

@ OP:

DayZ has taught me 2 things.

A ). No matter how much or how loud you say friendly, if the other guy's mind is set to kill you, he will do it or die trying.

B ). Trust is such a thin string.

Edited by SFRGaming

It told me that games like that are fun, with both bad and good times.

Besides, in general or "beyond" the virtual world? I dunno. At times I tend to imagine, even if just briefly, that my navigation / map reading skills increased a bit. Couldn't really put those to the test though.

That people came back to beast behavior once any society judgements and rules have been removed.

• Like 1

1. Everyone is out for them selves (See funny story at the endif you have time*)
  2. People care more about your gear then you. your character him/herself means nothing to no-one.
  3. Be prepared to die
  4. be proficient with anything. don't be dependant on finding that one weapon or needing certain gear just to get by.
  5. Be bold, but smart. Play too cautious you'll miss out, go full retard and you'll never make it out of your starting city.
  6. When in doubt opt to play it safe. In all most all cases it will take longer to find your way back and meet up with your buddies then if you had just taken a pass on that uncertain encounter.

*Funny storry for those with too much time;

So I had just gotten my hands on some ammo for my LRS mosin; Meanwhile my wife who was playing with me at the time was apparently having a zombie problem over at the old 2 story (back when the NEAF was military) so I head over there and and fire axe a few zombies all the time yellin at her to stop firing that dam SKS. with the zombies gone i mention that i now have ammo and we can camp this place out. she looks at me and says "thats good im almost out". quick to reply, im like "no way you gettin my mosin"....

"You are dead" to the sound of heather laughing her ass off in the next room....

guys, when I say EVERYONE is out for them selves in this game, I mean EVERYONE.

• Like 3

1. Everyone is out for them selves (See funny story at the endif you have time*)
  2. People care more about your gear then you. your character him/herself means nothing to no-one.
  3. Be prepared to die
  4. be proficient with anything. don't be dependant on finding that one weapon or needing certain gear just to get by.
  5. Be bold, but smart. Play too cautious you'll miss out, go full retard and you'll never make it out of your starting city.
  6. When in doubt opt to play it safe. In all most all cases it will take longer to find your way back and meet up with your buddies then if you had just taken a pass on that uncertain encounter.

*Funny storry for those with too much time;

So I had just gotten my hands on some ammo for my LRS mosin; Meanwhile my wife who was playing with me at the time was apparently having a zombie problem over at the old 2 story (back when the NEAF was military) so I head over there and and fire axe a few zombies all the time yellin at her to stop firing that dam SKS. with the zombies gone i mention that i now have ammo and we can camp this place out. she looks at me and says "thats good im almost out". quick to reply, im like "no way you gettin my mosin"....

"You are dead" to the sound of heather laughing her ass off in the next room....

guys, when I say EVERYONE is out for them selves in this game, I mean EVERYONE.

She's a keeper for sure :p

• Like 2

Im with Rick on this one.. DayZ has not taught me a single thing. But than again, I am an adult and have lived a full life.

For those that may be young I could see DayZ opening up your World.. ;)

• Like 2

She's a keeper for sure :P

Indeed. When almost every other married guy i know is getting griped by thier wives at to get off the PC, im quite happy that the worst i have to worry about is mine shooting me for a gun lol.

• Like 1

that people playing dayZ are generally assholes.

and that dayZ needs some serious goddamn optimization

• Like 2

I learned that:

1. ladders are the bane of my existence

2. ladders are the bane of my existence

3. LADDERS ARE THE BANE OF MY EXISTENCE

• Like 2

That the overly competitive nature of the online gamer leads them to utilizing every retarded, cheap and exploitative trick in the book.

Shiiiaaaaaat, you'd think these people are competing to win a toaster or something.

U had to play a videogame to learn that, outch.

Edited by Guest

1) Gun control is indeed a good thing.

2) Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.

3) People still refuse to learn using the same lame excuse: "Its just...".

4) If real life had respawns society would collapse.

5) If people get bored bad things will happen (okay I knew this before).

So we've all learned a thing or two from our DayZ days and I thought it would be nice to share it with the community. Please avoid silly things such as "I've learned to shoot everyone and everything I see"

Okay so I'll go first! :3

A list of the few things I've learned:

• Improved map-reading skills

• Basics of the russian language

• Run away = Live to survive another day (wow that actually rhymed D:)

So that was that, feel free to share what you guys have learned from playing DayZ!

Edit: And I hope I posted this in the right section :s

Some people only want what is best for themselves

And some want to abuse you! And some want to get used by you!

I sometimes wonder how many people I robbed of their faith in humanity in DayZ ...

Run away = Live to survive another day (wow that actually rhymed D:)

Well, you know, some would say it is better to die facing the enemy but if you want to get shot in the back, all the same to me!

• Like 1

Things I've learned in DayZ SA:

1. Never assume you're alone.
  2. Trust nooone.
  3. Don't drink disinfectant spray.
  4. Zombies aren't your friend.
  5. Zombies must have the most boring life because they essentially stand in one spot forever, and if they do wander it's not very far.
  6. Live life to the fullest - you may die at any moment, you are in control of nothing. Your legs may also randomly break... perhaps it's from the crushing pressure of suspense and anxiety that someone is watching!
  7. Deforestation is a major problem in DayZ just as it is in the real world, but when tree huggers bring it up those in charge barely listen.
  8. Like in real life, I still don't know what use there is for a worn banana, nor how such banana got worn in the first place!
  9. The proper way to carry a flashlight is to hold it up as if you're aiming a handgun. I do this at home all the time now, and I walk very slowly while doing it.
  10. If you want peace and quiet, the last place you should go is somewhere up high such as on top of a water tower or something where somehow magically sound carries amazingly well so you can hear everyone eating, drinking, and messing with ammo.
  11. After observing and researching, I've determined that zombies may suffer from a combination of tourettes syndrome and osteoporosis, which explains why they twitch and make random noises but also die very easily while falling down hills. Knowing this perhaps we may be on the path to treating them, suppressing their urges and stopping the apocalypse?
  12. Worn or badly damaged zucchini, never pick it up. You don't know where that thing has been.
  13. If I open a can of <whatever> with an inefficient tool such as a screw driver or hack saw, the portion that falls to the ground must vaporize instantly because I cannot find it anywhere to lick up when starving. Science is still looking for an explanation for this phenomena.
  14. Log rolling is faster and quieter than crawling in a straight line. I use this in real life when I'm super intoxicated and attempting to sneak into back bed without the wife knowing.
  • Like 1

Serious things? Nothing at all that I can think of.

That it is impossible to fish with any other kind of wood than ash.

Despite the fact that deers have a top speed of almost 50km/h - you can easily jog next to them when they're fleeing.

dayz taught me that zombies are not subject to the same physical laws as the rest of us and can disperse their atoms on one side of a wall and reassemble them on the other instantly and without losing forward momentum.

dayz has tought me 3 things son

1 - some fellas just cant handle defeat

2 - some fellas just cant handle banter after defeat

3 - nothing makes me smile like owning an dominatin an mockin them fellas what cant handle defeat

1. if you're switching backpacks, the server WILL disconnect the second your backpack full of gear touches the floor.

2. not seeing a single zombie for miles doesn't mean 12 of them won't be in your face hitting you the moment you open your map.

3. PVE/friendly servers are a trap.

• Like 2

Mainly orientation skills:

- I will never again laugh at people running towards a destination straight forward and suddenly find themselves 10 km behind their starting point. Even though having a map...

- The sun is your best friend.

- After some time your brain even can save a 250km² terrain

General:

- Friends without patience are no support and more likely a danger - also they will die first.

- People can be EVERYWHERE .. If you are on a server with only one other person you both will meet more sooner than later ..

- Big teams are not necessarily stronger than a single person

- Never snipe without someone watching your back . you are NEVER safe anywhere!

- Mental state often decides winning or loosing a fight .. try not to panic

- Two eyes are not enough

The number one thing i have learned while playing DayZ is that you cannot trust ANYONE wearing a UN Ballistic Helmet. Once you see one, it's better to just log out because they are a bunch of worthless griefers. xD

Lol but in all seriousness i've not learned much that i already knew from DayZ.

"If it looks like it will break your legs, it will break your legs"

Personally, i avoid ladders IRL now too.