skully172

View backpack contents

View contents of backpack  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• YES
    • NO

i was thinking, what if to see the contents on your backpack, you had to stop moving, and open it. When you press Tab to see the inventory, you can`t see the contents inside the backpack, you need to stop and right click on it, and choose "view contents", it would play an animation where the character gets his backpack off his back and puts in front of him, like in the last of us when you`re crafting something. You can still see whats in your vest, shirt, and pants just normal.

• Like 12

Kinda makes sense. Would force people to use pockets for things that need to be accessed quickly while food and drinks would go to the backpack. For starters it could be just made so that you can't access backpack's contents while it's on your back - you'd have to drop it down first.

Edited by Powerhouse

Kind of yeah, I'd prefer if you could access it, but as soon as you move any of the crap from the main backpack you'd take it off and put it down in front of you to do it. 

You should be able to quickly use any item in your clothing though, without having to take stuff off. Would make more sense, since the ballistic vests are for storing easily accessible ammo and the like.

Fuck that noise. The bag holds the most swag in so it's only logical people will hold things like ammo/medicine/ammoboxes in. I'll be fucked if you want me to - in the middle of a fire fight - stand still like a lemon while I take my bag off, rummage through it for 15 seconds to bandage/reload. 10/10 bad idea.

• Like 2

Fuck that noise. The bag holds the most swag in so it's only logical people will hold things like ammo/medicine/ammoboxes in. I'll be fucked if you want me to - in the middle of a fire fight - stand still like a lemon while I take my bag off, rummage through it for 15 seconds to bandage/reload. 10/10 bad idea.

Everyone would have to do it. I don't understand why you're reloading your gun through your inventory anyways. There are many other ways of doing it. Perhaps they would implement a speedloader for the mosin as well.

• Like 1

Everyone would have to do it. I don't understand why you're reloading your gun through your inventory anyways. There are many other ways of doing it. Perhaps they would implement a speedloader for the mosin as well.

Well darling, when you fire the 5 bullets in your Mosin, you have to go into your inventory and manually drag the ammo to the Mosin to load it as it does not have magazines you can swap out at the touch of the R button. 

It's over all a stupid idea because it's one of those 'realism getting in the way of fun' bullshit things. If you want an animation while you get your bag out, how about every 2 minutes of running your guy stops dead in his tracks. scratches his balls, pulls his underwear out his arse, takes his shoes off to massage his feet and then takes a piss behind the nearest tree.

• Like 2

I'm not sure of the ramifications.  Seems like it would be a lot of busy work and unnecessary. Too much realism, perhaps.   I could see it being feasible if it realistically took you half a day to run from one town to the next.   We don't want game mechanics getting in the way of player skill, now do we?  I'm not sure.

How about you just equip the bag to your hands to see it's contents. You can still run/crawl ect but you can't fire back. I know that i'm able to walk and retrieve stuff from my bag IRL when i want to but it shouldn't be as easy as what it is.

• Like 1

This is kind of the point of the idea.  You put things you need easy access to in your pockets, like ammo and bandages, while your protector cases, food/drink, etc go in your pack.

The one problem I see with this, though, is the hotbar.  If you have a pistol in your back pack but have it on your hotbar, do you still pull it out automatically?  Or do you have a double animation of looking through your backpack to grab the pistol, even though you never actually queued the backpack action.

This thread has some great info about reloading and how we could improve that system, and this thread has some great info about improving the inventory system to make it both more realistic and easier to work with (without making it more complicated).

Well darling, when you fire the 5 bullets in your Mosin, you have to go into your inventory and manually drag the ammo to the Mosin to load it as it does not have magazines you can swap out at the touch of the R button. 

It's over all a stupid idea because it's one of those 'realism getting in the way of fun' bullshit things. If you want an animation while you get your bag out, how about every 2 minutes of running your guy stops dead in his tracks. scratches his balls, pulls his underwear out his arse, takes his shoes off to massage his feet and then takes a piss behind the nearest tree.

Please tell me why I shouldn't be able to use a stripper clip in a mosin like a normal person?

jlbfslKl.jpg

• Like 2

Please tell me why I shouldn't be able to use a stripper clip in a mosin like a normal person?

jlbfslKl.jpg

Ah, a fellow Mosin owner. I was about to mention the stripper clips. But.an M44 muzzle cant go on the 91/30, a special mount is needed for a LRS, and the PU needs machining. And the fact that most Mosins are straight bolt, but not in DayZ world.

Anyways, choke on beans for owning a Mosin. #Mosinlife

Edited by Owen.

No, i don't see any good point of it, i CAN while walking like i think anyone else just put my backpack in front of me and look for what i want, same as woman and handbag; the game already have too much mechanic restriction that make it having almost no possibility.
We are a robot that can only walk and use object, nothing else, we need to stop to switch weapons, eat (who can't eat a banana/apple or drink a pepsi and walk in the same time ?) no possibility to climb wall/on small objects, no way to move objects, can't pass through windows and a lot of issues like this.
The idea of don't be able to see what is inside our backpack is bad, for gameplay, immersion and convenience where the game already have too much restrictions from real persons...

BUT a way better thing will be, time to access to object, need way more time to access to something inside the backpack than something in our pockets/tactical vest will be way better, more realistic and more convenient, if you already have something in your hand, you need way more time before you can access object on your backpack (like if you take your backpack with something else in your hand, put the other thing in your hand away, take the stuff in your backpack and put your backpack again in your back.
And more time while walking and a way more while running, cause EVERYONE is able to carry at least 2 objects at the same time, imagine if you can only carry single object on your hand in real life, can't carry watterbottle and glass of water in the same time for example in your hand, fork and knife...Imagine if when you try to carry your dirty cloth to your washer you need to carry them one by one, even socks...

So take your backpack in front of you while walking, even with a riffle or anything else in your hand is possible (except if you have only one hand or if you are bad using your hand), you will just need more time to take something from your backpack, simple as this.

Look at this :

http://zedomax.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/tamrac-2.jpg

This http://cache.backpackinglight.com/backpackinglight/images/ultralight-outfitters-lightning-access-backpack-review-2.jpg

and this http://www.coolthings.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/boltonstreet2.jpg

Seriously, i'll stop playing it if rather than DELETE or REPLACE boring thing that are unrealistic, bad, non convenient and make no sense new are added, and i'll not be the only one to stop playing that.
The boring aspect of DayZ for me is not to walk huge amount of time without actions, its all this long and endless actions for nothing, not behind able to walk doing something and all others things like this that make our "survivor" look not able to correctly use his hand and need to focus on a single action while forgetting everything else around, even if he get attack...
So yes for having a delay for LOGIC delay for access to backpack, but CERTAINLY NOT again more useless stuff that force us to stop for doing something, having to click on it and others immersion braking thing, think that just will make us get killed more often (and we already die easily cause of the nature of the game and all the bug/unfinished things caused by the early access state)...
Seriously guy, stop with totally non convenient gameplay idea which are not even realistic, anyone can open a backpack while walking, it is not easy and fast, but we can...

At this rate what the next state ? having to drop down everything in the backpack for access object in the lower side on the inventory ?

• Like 1

You can't use a strip clip because they're not in the game yet. GG no re.

Edited by sabre05
  • Like 2

I think it'd be a great idea so long as people couldn't reload mags from their backpack instantly.

It works out well since the stuff in your other pockets is the most likely to get damaged from bullets, falling, melee hits. It's almost like it's set up to be that way already they've just yet to implement it.

So long as clothing damage is nerfed to the point where 1 bullet = 1 random item damaged instead of everything in whatever piece of clothing it hits, I'm game for that.

I'm so sorry if it hurts your KOS banditry 'cause you can't carry 10 taped M4 mags around, truly sorry.

If you needed more than one extra clip anyway you'd have to be a pretty bad shot or fighting an army, how often does that happen?

sabre05 wrote , "Fuck that noise. The bag holds the most swag in so it's only logical people will hold things like ammo/medicine/ammoboxes in. I'll be fucked if you want me to - in the middle of a fire fight - stand still like a lemon while I take my bag off, rummage through it for 15 seconds to bandage/reload. 10/10 bad idea."

:thumbsup: I couldn't agree more!!! :thumbsup: 

On another point If I were to store four 40rnd polymer magazines in my high cap vest and got beat on a little bit by a few zombies before I eliminated them I would and have found that along with my vest jacket and trousers and just about everything in them are ruined including my polymer magazines and every round of ammunition they contain. That's crazy!!

I can tell you that taking a body beating from Mike Tyson wouldn't destroy my ammunition, polymer magazines, cans of chow etc etc I have stored there. I might be in a world of hurt but my gear would survive. So unless you want to gut the whole carry system to represent the  real life durability of every single piece of gear and clothing in the game forget this stupid idea that has been proposed. I store my mags inside protector cases that are inside my pack and my loose rounds in my ammo can that is also in my pack to make my most valuable possessions survivable because the current damage allocation system to your gear from melee attacks is completely unrealistic.

CMAGs (Polymer) magazines are pretty tough and so are metallic cartridges. I tell you what,  get a canvas bag and fill it with any kind of ammunition you want and tape it to a heavy bag and then beat on it with your bare knuckles and then after you apply some first aid to your hands see how many rounds of ammunition are ruined. Then do the same test with cans of beans, knives, and can openers etc and then fix up your knuckles again.

Edited by Xbow
  • Like 1

Yeah this is a great idea, this is how it worked in the mod, without the animation, but if you opened your backpack your character would crouch and if you move, the window would close.

Like someone said it would be a great idea to keep useful things in your jacket and pants and be able to open that menu while running, but backpack by only stopping.

This would also increase the immersion as you would see what other people are doing exactly.

Normally when you see someone running in the field with a gun, you see it as a threat and hide, but they could just be looking at their inventory and miss seeing you easily. Aproching people while they are checking their backpack could be more tactical than just trying to flank them or something.

Plus the whole backback management is not really my favorite, I mean the inventory window is great, dont get me wrong. But having to open it every 2 seconds to do anything kind of defeats the purpose of not having a game HUD. But that would be another topic.

I would still like to see your inventory open like in the mod at least where when you press TAB your character will stop, crouch and then open.

No, i don't see any good point of it, i CAN while walking like i think anyon...

The main point of this is that you cant just see whats in your backpack when you check your inventory straigth away, you need to hame some sort of "delay", cant check it instantly and can`t sprint while checking whats inside, and the animation where the guy would put the backpack in front of him would be quick (like 2 secs or so (and only if crouched)). I know that you want the player to be able to have more fluid movements and etc, like grab a weapon whitout having to stop moving and stupid shit like that.

Harsh, but true.

If you're looking for a true, 1 to 1, life simulation, you're in the wrong place. This would destroy the game in such a painfully slow way that it'd be unreal.

How do you determine how fast you take off your backpack? How do you determine the realism? I don't always take off my backpack at the exact same speed in real life, so how would you code in that kind of specific movement? If I'm in the middle of a chase, I want to sling off that thing super quickly, possibly even run with it in my hands.

There are way too many variables, and it's overall just a waste of time; both on the development side, and the in-game implementation end.

so then all the stuff i need to acces quick are also the most vurnarable and quickly ruined no thanks. it still need to be playable. 

• Like 2

That's a really bad idea , the game is good like that an animation for this would be really heavy (shitty) since the mod i wanted to see the character do things when running . Play Arma II and you will see , that's a really bad idea .

The ones proposing this lame idea would be the ones whining about it the most if it were implemented. But in truth it wouldn't be a game stopper for me as I always keep a couple of 40 round magazines in my vest and one in the rifle so I would have to go through 120 rounds to even need to replenish from my pack and protector cases or ammo can. and then who doesn't save a few slots for 20 or 30 round ammo stacks of loose rounds to top off your magazines in your jacket vest and trousers? And in most of the fire fights I have been in I seldom have fired more than twenty or thirty rounds. That's the magic of the T button for the M4A1. Rapid aimed semi automatic fire is the ticket

The bottom line is that Game changes should have a purpose and this one doesn't. 

Edited by Xbow

Sounds good.  BUT ONLY FOR THE BACKPACK.  

It would encourage players to put things like ammo and bandages on their shirt and pants/tactical vest if they have one.  

1+ good idea, So you should prepare and arrange to emptied space for allowing new items fits in your back pack each time before you want to go to big cities.

But maybe some of you ask

"So we have to put the bag in the grounds each time you want something fit in your backpack?? Boy, i could have put my backpack a hundred times in just one city!"

Well theres a solution for this problem

You will need to use the take "item name" action instead of pressing "tab" key each time you want to take something to your backpack.

So you dont have to put the backpack a hundred times in a town.

Then maybe you asked "then items will be automatically/wildly arranged in your backpack?"

That is exactly the point!

And it's realistic!

We just throw the item to the bag,and keep taking item fast as it was,while the backpack still in our back!

Scenario:

You have to prepared empty space before looting then use the "take item" action instead of use tab repeatedly.

Then if it's full or the arrangements in your backpack is not your taste

Then put the backpack in the ground

After you done looting.

effective, playable, realistic

At the same time!

The sorting and automatic arrange in dayz should be improved first though

1+ vote for this idea, again