skully172

View backpack contents

View contents of backpack  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is a good idea?

• YES
    • NO

Sounds good. BUT ONLY FOR THE BACKPACK.

It would encourage players to put things like ammo and bandages on their shirt and pants/tactical vest if they have one.

So people can feel the gameplay difference

Between bags and clothes pocket!

1+ if pocket system implemented

EXACTLY MATE!

Fuck that noise. The bag holds the most swag in so it's only logical people will hold things like ammo/medicine/ammoboxes in. I'll be fucked if you want me to - in the middle of a fire fight - stand still like a lemon while I take my bag off, rummage through it for 15 seconds to bandage/reload. 10/10 bad idea.

Anything that discourages firefights sounds like a 10/10 good idea to me.

Anything that discourages firefights sounds like a 10/10 good idea to me.

K. Lets remove firearms. they are in 100% of firefights. They're obviously a problem we can't afford.

K. Lets remove firearms. they are in 100% of firefights. They're obviously a problem we can't afford.

I think the game would be better in the long run without firearms.

Sounds good to me. The backpack is 'external storage' after all. Makes sense that it shouldn't be as easily accessible as other items of clothing. You can still store ammo in vests and trousers for easy access, so I fail to see the issue that certain people seem to have. It encourages intelligent inventory management, which is a good thing.

The animation to access the bag should be very quick, though. Nearly as quick as the stand-crouch animation. Nothing would suck more than a slow animation to access your things.

Yuurp.. this is a good idea. It had always been in the back of our minds i dare say

Fuck that noise. The bag holds the most swag in so it's only logical people will hold things like ammo/medicine/ammoboxes in. I'll be fucked if you want me to - in the middle of a fire fight - stand still like a lemon while I take my bag off, rummage through it for 15 seconds to bandage/reload. 10/10 bad idea.

You do understand that the plus side to this idea is holding your most important stuff in your clothing pockets ? thats the entire point of the bag having some time delay.. to put emphasis on inventory management.. its a simple but effective idea i think 

I fully support this idea. I find it completely lame being able to run around with your bag open so you can spot stuff you can't see, or just want the ease of finding stuff instead of having to actually look.  I don't think we need a rummaging animation but I think the hot bar should exist through pockets only aka pants, jackets, shirts etc.  The things you can actually access quickly

• Like 1

On one hand I cannot understand how so realistic and simply thing is not implemented yet but on the other hand I can fully understand for that because people are pussies. Just read through this theme and you will see the reason why such a thing is not in the game (but it should be). Lol, someone even said that he would quit if this would be a thing. I just hope that devs doesn't listen this people and give us a hardcore game. Yea most of the player would gone, but I don't even care for them. Those are the people who want to spawn with their friends, full stamina, everywhere ammo and food, no sprain painting because they are afraid of racist things yada yada.

Edited by kevo1414

Too much realism for many players I think. I love the idea personally, but it's more of a hardcore realism addition I'd say.

'Mod' kind of says it all. I'd say Dayz SA vanilla will be something that has to appeal to an average player base ....additions like this one would probably be implemented via mods later. I could be wrong though.

33 minutes ago, ShaneRetter said:

'Mod' kind of says it all. I'd say Dayz SA vanilla will be something that has to appeal to an average player base ....additions like this one would probably be implemented via mods later. I could be wrong though.

Dayz mod became so popular so it has already appealed to the "average player base"

On 03/08/2014 at 6:06 PM, sabre05 said:

What if I fight with the firefighter axe ? That technically is a fire fight. 

I still think the concept is a good one, and I hope it gets implemented in one form or another. However there's a few things I would improve:

1) Clicking and dragging items. Keeping that simple functionality in the inventory screen is critical. So, instead of this: {-> select "view contents"} it should simply be {[mouseover]}. Obviously, a few other bits of programming such as small (maybe 200ms) time delay to prevent an accidental trigger of the animation would be needed too, but for the player, it's simply a matter of hovering the mouse pointer over a backpack and waiting.

2) Uniformity in game mechanics. If one container functions that way, ALL containers should function the same way. I'd have every container 'minimised'/'closed' to begin with and require a mouseover prompt to be opened. The difference (e.g. between pockets and backpacks) can be created through the length of the animation/delay before maximising/opening each container.

3) Ability to open containers on the move. Same uniformity rules should apply. World containers should only be accessible in a very small radius (effectively the player needs to be standing still), packs at a walking pace, pockets at a jog and nothing while running/sprinting. A locked container could simply appear greyed out. 

Edited by MrAerospace
  • Like 1

I like the auto arrange backpack idea, no need for a tedious Tetris game.

I think that this 'take off backpack' feature will benefit the game, because it forces planning and thinking ahead.

With a slow(er) backpack organising your hotbar (your pockets) becomes much more important. As a sniper you'll need to think ahead about your retreat. If you find yourself in an ambush with no cover, you need speed and probably want to ditch you backpack and run for cover. After a fire fight you want to find a safe space to reorganise your items. Looting goes just as fast if you have empty pockets, otherwise you need to empty your pockets into your backpack. It will slow the looting down, and will affect long fire fights when the pockets run dry of bandages and ammo.

I like the fact that ARMA and Dayz are not like the unrealistically simplistic fast paced Call of Duty, or Battle Field. Dayz will still be a fast paced game, but you'll have to do more and different things to survive. You'll need to prepare more: what do you carry, where do you carry it? Heavy or light? Can I quickly cross this open field or should I slowly go around? If I engage from here, have I got a retreat plan? If I shoot a few backpackers in the open they might drop their bags and run and flee, so I can steel their stuff. You see there are plenty of unique tactics to explore with a pocket and backpack system.

Yes, I'm definitely for this in DayZ. Thing is, thinking as a developer who want to sell the game, some people who want to have a simple, pure fun experience, could just leave the game. That's why I think we need a separation of options for 'regular' and 'hardcore' servers. These two game modes could mean something then. Like mentioned in this thread about what 'regular' and 'hardcore' means.  Things like this backpack suggestion here should be only in hardcore game mode. Or you could have a series of *check options like these when starting your own server. Like when you choose between 1st/3rd person or 1st person only.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cirkular said:

Yes, I'm definitely for this in DayZ. Thing is, thinking as a developer who want to sell the game, some people who want to have a simple, pure fun experience, could just leave the game. That's why I think we need a separation of options for 'regular' and 'hardcore' servers. These two game modes could mean something then. Like mentioned in this thread about what 'regular' and 'hardcore' means.  Things like this backpack suggestion here should be only in hardcore game mode. Or you could have a series of *check options like these when starting your own server. Like when you choose between 1st/3rd person or 1st person only.

I like your idea of having the regular and the hardcore modes being different in more ways. I think this would be a nice strategy to please the current player base while allowing a new gameplay design that offers a more unique, authentic, survival experience.