-Gews-

Journey to Schadenfreude Island

"Schadenfreude Island", also known as "Debug Island", is a small, barren landmass roughly 11 kilometers off the coast of Chernarus. It is approximately 285 m long, 130 m wide, and 25 m above sea level at its highest point (925x427x82 ft).

The island is located 11 kilometers off the coast

HhV1FAL.png

Island profile

HwbTnWa.png?1

A 2012 incident where players in a helicopter marooned an unsuspecting fresh spawn is the most infamous chapter in the island's history, thanks to the Youtube video being picked up by gaming site Kotaku (said video is where it was first dubbed "Schadenfreude Island").

3fPZHv2.jpg?1

As far as I was aware the island had been totally unexplored in standalone - over 6 months since release and nobody had set foot on it. I wanted to be the first.

This character's been alive for a month now so I didn't want to swim out if it wasn't feasible to get back. I checked it out in the ARMA 2 editor to get the compass headings and calculated it would take 2 hours 8 minutes to swim to the island (one way), which would consume 64% of my water supply, so I packed 3 full canteens in the Matryoshka protector cases I took from a sniper a couple weeks ago.

After that I spent a session just gorging until I had about 18 hours worth of energy stored, then stopped by the water pump in Kamyshovo to fill my character's water levels to 100%.

Ready to set off. Not eating that rice because [a] I'm full and it means -1000 water. No, I didn't paint that Mosin.

ZecuMiZ.jpg

The first step in the voyage, the short swim to Skalisty Island

YZQNpp2.jpg

I wonder what lays out there... (no I don't. I already know full well.)

bXOfiKe.jpg

Checking my heading.

g9fFAkl.jpg

Goodbye land! Goodbye sun!

zrXQNUt.jpg

Sunset.

3pfnjdT.jpg

When swimming at night there are some graphical oddities.

CfaXdMs.jpg

So how deep is the water along this path? For the most part it seems to average about 100 meters (328 feet), but at the deepest point it reaches a depth of 182 meters (597 feet), which is about 6 Devil's Castles or 3-2/3 Cherno sniper towers. If the water suddenly disappeared it would take over 6-1/2 seconds to hit the seafloor.

FAl2ATY.png?1

Anyways, continuing on...

Looks like an underwater mountain.

GaMvbHs.jpg

It is an underwater mountain! Land ho!

jVcYgdY.jpg

Finally...

k9REtJw.jpg

I think a celebration is in order. Suck it, ocean. I claim this land in the name of Canada!

ijlQH3N6emM8y.gif

This is the third sunset since this voyage began.

2h1lX0A.jpg

Time to head back - after making sure to drink my 3 canteens.

FuC8ywA.jpg

The sun is annoying when you're on land, but nice when you're in the middle of the ocean.

fQ3PznZ.jpg

After another two hours - hello Skalisty!

AgmQZvJ.jpg

Back on the mainland dealing with my thirsty status. No gear was lost on this voyage.

VCs8IT1.jpg

Turns out your weapons, magazines, and backpacks all drop off while swimming, but if you reach dry land they pop back on again, same if you exit the game or log out. Spending over four hours in the water didn't ruin any of my gear either.

I found this journey was more than worthwhile, but I suspect the majority of players will want to wait for boats...

• Like 27

A True Pioneer, I hope to be the first to reach the moon in dayz.

• Like 2

As somebody who didn't play the mod, this is completely new to me. I've never even heard of this. This is blowing my mind right now.

OP: thanks for being so detailed with your post. It was both interesting and informative!

I guess I know what I'm doing with an afternoon during my vacation :)

Edited by Tatanko

The Ferdinand Magellan of weird pony DayZ players!

• Like 3

A True Pioneer, I hope to be the first to reach the moon in dayz.

I think you'll have to wait until they introduce the Apollo for that, but there are other islands out there... you might have to swim 10, 20 hours before reaching them, but they're there. ;)

In fact with certain vests, pants, and jackets, you could carry 9 canteens and three sodas or peaches for 8-1/4 or 8-3/8 hours of water, a protector case in your hands full of canteens for another 2-1/2, and start off with 3-1/3 for a total of over 14 hours. You can drink while swimming, so that would get you to the 10 hour island. 20 hour island you'd have to hope for rain to refill along the way. In fact your backpack comes back after restarts or exits so you could have food and extra water in there too.

I'm not trying it though. :lol:

I guess I know what I'm doing with an afternoon during my vacation :)

If you wanna go, here are my directions. ;)

Gorge first. Use the formula "minutes of food consumed - time played" and try to get >8 hours.

Food time:

Max capacity: 22 hrs 13

Rice = 4 hr 9

Peaches = 1 hr 31

Milk = 1 hr 6

Cereal = 1 hr 2

Tuna = 32

Beans = 31

Sardines = 22

Spaghetti = 20

Potato = 19

Banana = 10

Bacon = 7

Orange = 5

Berries = 5

Apple = 5

Zucchini = 3

Bell Pepper = 2

Tomato = 1

Don't eat anything for a good while before you set off, you need the stomach space for water. Fill up at the water pump near Kamyshovo (it takes 40 drinks empty to full) then get to Skalisty ASAP. Bring three or more canteens, only drink them once ready to leave the island.

Water time:

Max capacity: 3 hr 20

Canteen = 50

Water bottle = 25

Soda = 15

Water pump = 5

To get there you will want to go to the southeasternmost corner of Skalisty island and set your compass to 106 degrees. Consider bringing two compasses in case one gets ruined before you get there (happened to me). Double-tap ALT so you don't alter your course by nudging the mouse. Swim time from Skalisty is 2 hrs 8 minutes, keep track of it and watch for server restarts, you don't want to overshoot the island if you walk away and lose track of where you are (I assume anyone swimming for two hours is not holding the key the entire time).

• Like 5

I remember Morrowind, how I swam to Solstheim long ago. (Firstly I didn't know that there was a boat. :) )

PS This island is a good place for a stash. :D

but there are other islands out there... you might have to swim 10, 20 hours before reaching them

I know only this island. Other? Where?

Edited by Zyryanoff
  • Like 2

I know only this island. Other? Where?

One is 44 km bearing 128, one is 91 km bearing 125, measuring from the start point at Skalisty.

• Like 1

One is 44 km bearing 128, one is 91 km bearing 125, measuring from the start point at Skalisty.

Okay. Can you force drink or force feed someone in water? What about voyage where group of people will feed few persons and then they'll support one survivor in reaching the target? :D

And of course are there any custom maps to see approximate positioning of them?

Edited by Zyryanoff

Okay. Can you force drink or force feed someone in water? What about voyage where group of people will feed few persons and then they'll support one survivor in reaching the target? :D

I think you can force-feed in the water, might not be necessary though! You can eat and drink in the water and perform other inventory actions.

Island 1

Distance = 44,000 meters

Speed = 1.3125 m/s

Time = 559 minutes (9 hr 19 minutes)

Your energy has a capacity of 20,000, this gives 1333 minutes (22 hr 13 minutes). So food is not an issue.

You water only has a capacity of 4,000, that's 200 minutes (3 hr 20 minutes). Water is a problem.

If you had all the highest-capacity clothing and backpacks, you could store 31 canteens and 9 sodas giving 33,970 water, enough for 1699 minutes (28 hr 18 min) without even using protector cases. So the island at [44 km, 128°] is not a problem at all, you could go there and come back fine without any extra food.

As for the second island...

Island 2

Distance = 91,000 meters

Time = 1156 minutes (19 hr 16 minutes)

You could definitely get there, but coming back would be a problem. You would have to think hard about carrying enough food and water to travel both ways.

I would carry a bunch of rice. Each bag provides 249 minutes (4 hr 9 minutes) of food but takes away 50 minutes of water, so say 5 bags for the return trip. There's no food on the island so this is a necessity. This would leave only 20 hours of water. So you would have to hope for rain on the island to refill the canteens.

All academic though ;)

• Like 2

Congratulations! :thumbsup:  Fantastic mate! Thanks for sharing the details of this voyage!  :beans: 

very cool :) thx

i spawned last night after a gamecrash with my fresh bambi in the open see. it was a strange feeling :)

in rl i dont like deep waters too... maybe i have too much imagination :/

but i asked myself how long can a human survive in this cold water without special suits? which temperature has the water in rl in such a situation?

random shark attaks would also be cool.. :)

971a9e.jpg

GEWS - THE EXPLORER'S MEDAL - JUNE 2014

FOR HIS OUTSTANDING FEAT OF PLANNING, ENDURANCE AND HUMAN

ENDEAVOUR IN THE FIELD OF OCEANIC AND GEOPHYSICAL DISCOVERY

• Like 4

great feat, Gews, congratulations

and also gg on the Kotaku feature - yer famous, baby!

• Like 1

Island 1

Distance = 44,000 meters

Speed = 1.3125 m/s

Time = 559 minutes (9 hr 19 minutes)

Island 2

Distance = 91,000 meters

Time = 1156 minutes (19 hr 16 minutes)

Where did you get information about the distance? I would like to see the source too if you could provide. ARMA editor? Or another?

Edited by Zyryanoff

I think you'll have to wait until they introduce the Apollo for that, but there are other islands out there... you might have to swim 10, 20 hours before reaching them, but they're there. ;)

In fact with certain vests, pants, and jackets, you could carry 9 canteens and three sodas or peaches for 8-1/4 or 8-3/8 hours of water, a protector case in your hands full of canteens for another 2-1/2, and start off with 3-1/3 for a total of over 14 hours. You can drink while swimming, so that would get you to the 10 hour island. 20 hour island you'd have to hope for rain to refill along the way. In fact your backpack comes back after restarts or exits so you could have food and extra water in there too.

I'm not trying it though. :lol:

If you wanna go, here are my directions. ;)

Gorge first. Use the formula "minutes of food consumed - time played" and try to get >8 hours.

Food time:

Max capacity: 22 hrs 13

Rice = 4 hr 9

Peaches = 1 hr 31

Milk = 1 hr 6

Cereal = 1 hr 2

Tuna = 32

Beans = 31

Sardines = 22

Spaghetti = 20

Potato = 19

Banana = 10

Bacon = 7

Orange = 5

Berries = 5

Apple = 5

Zucchini = 3

Bell Pepper = 2

Tomato = 1

Don't eat anything for a good while before you set off, you need the stomach space for water. Fill up at the water pump near Kamyshovo (it takes 40 drinks empty to full) then get to Skalisty ASAP. Bring three or more canteens, only drink them once ready to leave the island.

Water time:

Max capacity: 3 hr 20

Canteen = 50

Water bottle = 25

Soda = 15

Water pump = 5

To get there you will want to go to the southeasternmost corner of Skalisty island and set your compass to 106 degrees. Consider bringing two compasses in case one gets ruined before you get there (happened to me). Double-tap ALT so you don't alter your course by nudging the mouse. Swim time from Skalisty is 2 hrs 8 minutes, keep track of it and watch for server restarts, you don't want to overshoot the island if you walk away and lose track of where you are (I assume anyone swimming for two hours is not holding the key the entire time).

Thanks so much for all the detailed information, it's incredibly helpful and I know it was a good bit of effort on your part to figure all of this out. I had actually meant to ask you and forgot: are you saying server resets/disconnects won't affect your inventory or location (since you're in the water) when you rejoin? That was my primary concern with making the journey.

Also, I'm not sure if you knew or not but there is actually a water pump on Skalisty Island :)

GEWS - THE EXPLORER'S MEDAL - JUNE 2014

FOR HIS OUTSTANDING FEAT OF PLANNING, ENDURANCE AND HUMAN

ENDEAVOUR IN THE FIELD OF OCEANIC AND GEOPHYSICAL DISCOVERY

Haha. Excellent!

Where did you get information about the distance? I would like to see the source too if you could provide. ARMA editor? Or another?

ARMA 2, ARMA 3 editor.

great feat, Gews, congratulations

and also gg on the Kotaku feature - yer famous, baby!

Haha, that's hilarious. :0

Found out someone has already been there before - guess I know what I have to do now.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for all the detailed information, it's incredibly helpful and I know it was a good bit of effort on your part to figure all of this out. I had actually meant to ask you and forgot: are you saying server resets/disconnects won't affect your inventory or location (since you're in the water) when you rejoin? That was my primary concern with making the journey.

Also, I'm not sure if you knew or not but there is actually a water pump on Skalisty Island :)

Yes, server resets won't affect inventory or location (any more than they normally affect location). I wasn't aware of that, I checked if there was one too, must have missed it. :lol:

Yes, server resets won't affect inventory or location (any more than they normally affect location). I wasn't aware of that, I checked if there was one too, must have missed it. :lol:

There's definitely a pump there unless they recently removed it. It's right near one of the houses that make up the little village on the southwestern side of the map. I haven't been to the island since 0.43 or 0.44 so can't say that with 100% certainty.

It's never been marked on any map I've ever seen for some reason. I guess the island receives so little attention that even the people in charge of making the maps for the fan websites don't realize it's there.

Edited by Tatanko

ARMA 2, ARMA 3 editor.

Thank you. I'll think about afk-crazy voyage. If I'll make it, don't worry all credits will be given to you for so much help and inspiration. :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans: :beans:

Because all this planning reminds me about mountain climbing. :rolleyes:

Found out someone has already been there before - guess I know what I have to do now.

Establish "Gewstown" settlement on the island, later - declare independence of your colony and become a dictator? :D

BTW Vikings also travelled to the North American continent long before Columbus and Vespucci. But ... they did not announce this at the official forum! :thumbsup: :o :P

• Like 1

I wasn't aware of that, I checked if there was one too, must have missed it. :lol:

Hey Gews, I took a picture of the water pump on Skalisty Island today before I made my own voyage, just so you know where you look next time :) (that's the southern coast of the island I'm facing towards in the picture).

wZEPajm.jpg

Edited by Tatanko
  • Like 1