Sign in to follow this  
FanaticModz520

My Quick Opinion on Future Development of DayZ

So i just want to quickly say something about how i think DayZ should be updated in the future, really what i think they should do is finish whatever they are working on currently then stop and just fix the known/common glitches just to smoothen out the game and once that is done then they should continue the add in features. If they keep adding things without fixing the common mishaps then the game will continue to be glitchy and if the features are glitchy then it will just be adding on to the problem. This was just my opinion so no criticism about how they're working hard, trust me i know they are trying and it isn't easy this is kind of like a starting point or outline of what i think would help the development of the game.  

So if they stop adding new content then what do the map design and 3D modelling guys do while the coders are squashing bugs?

Bugs get fixed. Bugs get created. Rinse and repeat. Such is alpha.

• Like 1

For me the only big issues now with DayZ Standalone are:

- wall glitch

- zombies, no zombies, buggy zombies

- and loot spawning less and less erry patch

With those fixed game would be missing only addons like vechicles and tents.

• Like 1

So if they stop adding new content then what do the map design and 3D modelling guys do while the coders are squashing bugs?

The map is just fine as it is now(we don't need more cities, continue with this and the whole map would soon be laid on concrete), fire the map makers and hire more people to do the zombies and survival elements like deaseses and maybe we could get this game to look something remotely to an z apocalypse, just my 2 cents...

The map is just fine as it is now(we don't need more cities, continue with this and the whole map would soon be laid on concrete), fire the map makers and hire more people to do the zombies and survival elements like deaseses and maybe we could get this game to look something remotely to an z apocalypse, just my 2 cents...

I disagree. Once we're running 100+ slot servers I think we will most definitely need the extra towns. Also, I think that the existing areas should be worked on and made to look more run down and "apocalyptic".

All in all there is quite a lot for the map guys to be doing.

• Like 1

Yeah, your probably right, im just impatient waiting for the zombie apocalypse, sorry :blush: . But I would like to have atleast some rural areas left where I can hide when the vehicles gets in, so as long as they don't get to exited adding new cities and remove all the wilderness....

Yeah, your probably right, im just impatient waiting for the zombie apocalypse, sorry :blush: . But I would like to have atleast some rural areas left where I can hide when the vehicles gets in, so as long as they don't get to exited adding new cities and remove all the wilderness....

I highly doubt they'll remove the forests and whatnot, they're just filling in some of the unused space in the northern portion of the map.

they're just filling in some of the unused space in the northern portion of the map.

Yeah but I kinda liked the rural north in the mod, it was a safe heaven for me, also a good place to hide vehicles and tents(not always). Now I start seing to much concrete get rolled over my previous hunting grounds,,,,not too much fan of it, lol. I rather see they expand the already existing cities and make them bigger than taking over to much of the north, it's not 'unused'. Often met people up there in the mod..lone wolfs hideout from the gangs roaming the cities :P ..

Edited by Kaboki

I'll just add my two cents.  If they did that, we'd still be on update .30.  The game would have pretty much died as everyone demands their money back due to the lack of updates.  It takes a while already for updates to get pushed to stable.  That added with the fact you can't even sneeze while coding without adding at least one more bug.  Alpha, they want to get the core shit in first so they actually have something to fix.  Beta, they'll focus more on fixing and polishing shit while adding in some non core things.  Release, when all that goodness comes together and we have a stable and (almost) complete game to play.

Lets not forget they're also 'changing' the Engine (one bolt at a time), so any fixes they might create will be for naught.  Right now they fix the 'game breaking' shit, like Desync (though some may disagree with me).  Something I cannot control verses something I can work around, like zombies going through walls, I'll kill em out in the open and away from buildings before I go running into something.

'Alright we managed to figure out what was making that can opening random ambient noise and removed it...sadly we still have just the M4, Mosin, 45 and .357...but we're about to release .31, which will include the SKS rifle...and now we have that can opening sound back again...Fuck it we'll do it live!  You ungrateful bastards, I'm taking my share of the money and buying the southern part of New Zealand and a Lambo.  Make all the death threats you want because I'll have the part of ANZAC in my pocket to send after your asses.  Dictated not read, the Management...read that last part back to me Matt?'

They should do the opposite.

Keep adding content and features even if it breaks the game and not care about player enjoyment.

Having to cater to players by fixing bugs and such just slows down development.

• Like 1

its BIS - never he will bring out a game with no glitchy ( its the engine ) and ton of bugs ^^  never you will see this in the gold version :D is the same with ofp and the arma series.   i see this since 2001 ^^  that what you will its a wonder :D  and when hall is going then they do the same as they do with Arma with dayz - never ending bugfixing - new thinks new old gamebreaking bugs since 2001 - magic priorities .... that's is sure  all other is a wonder :D  and a game that will never going in a final quality state for your feel after 3-4 years :Dnew technoligi ? for waht the old is good enough ^^ add here new  and a little here see works  not good but works  - this is czech mentality SRY but this is the reality ^^i see this in my company when we become dudes from czech company for learning ... is frustrating...... 

Edited by Crusader78

I disagree. Once we're running 100+ slot servers I think we will most definitely need the extra towns. Also, I think that the existing areas should be worked on and made to look more run down and "apocalyptic".

True but how long will that take? (rhetorical) i think just a few major bug fixes would be a good idea and once the servers get bigger then bigger maps would make sense.

Keep adding content and features even if it breaks the game and not care about player enjoyment.

I agree to a certain extent. The features they DO implement should be fairly stable, though. They shouldn't just write buggy code and throw it into the game and count on fixing it later.

It's not possible with an early access game, as it requires the game to be in a playable state.

If servers can ever handle that many players I'd be surprised. They were choking with 60 after 2 hours from restart...

So..... can anyone help me here? all the threads regarding the developement stuffs are not current and cant help me, latest version is 0.45, experimental 0.46 right? well there is no where in this forum that ive seen where it says why the hell i only see experimental 0.46 servers when i log in with my stable 0.45 game version?

If servers can ever handle that many players I'd be surprised. They were choking with 60 after 2 hours from restart...

It will take a while but I would definitely expect much higher server capacities in future. They had 100 slot servers running okay on experimental at one point, the problem is that every time they add features server performance takes a hit so I think it will be a while until they try to up the capacity again.

It's not possible with an early access game, as it requires the game to be in a playable state.

Define playable.

Also where exactly does it state that it needs to be playable?

Wasting time to fix bugs right now is pointless, focus on content generation and adding features.

Once enough of that is in then waste time squashing bugs.

To OP the best way iv heard it put is..

"Optimising code that's changing is counter productive"

Basically performance and bug fixing needs to be done on a locked "final" version of the code. Otherwise a new feature my end up causing much the same bugs as the last. Then they just end up wasting time fixing the same errors over and over (and the new errors aswell). Best to get it to a point where they aren't really going to be making new bugs....then blitz the bugfix list :) 

Define playable.

Also where exactly does it state that it needs to be playable?

Wasting time to fix bugs right now is pointless, focus on content generation and adding features.

Once enough of that is in then waste time squashing bugs.

Playable to me means the game is in a state where can be enjoyed.

Is this the same as pre-purchasing a game?

No. Early Access is a full purchase of a playable game. By purchasing, you gain immediate access to download and play the game in its current form and as it evolves. You keep access to the game, even if the game later moves from Early Access into fully released.

A tech demo, or other pre-alpha release isn't bound by these terms.

Playable to me means the game is in a state where can be enjoyed.

A tech demo, or other pre-alpha release isn't bound by these terms.

It can be perfectly playable if it runs and starts. Does not have to mean it is bug free.

Playable and enjoyable two different things.

It can be perfectly playable if it runs and starts. Does not have to mean it is bug free.

Playable and enjoyable two different things.

depends what you mean by ''play ''

play is a range of voluntary, intrinsically motivated activities normally associated with recreational pleasure and enjoyment

but you are right that you can play a fun game without it being bug free

It depends on the severity of the bugs. Silencers for weapons not working, for example, doesn't make the game unplayable.

They're sailing close to the wind with the current regular CTD's and characters being reset though.