jamiereid_wow@hotmail.co.uk

Has Anyone Else lost Faith in Dayz?

Unless you're calling the mod devs out as liars, they stated that they made several attempts to contact Dean and other people at BI regarding approval of the 1.8.1 update.  According to what I've gathered from this forum my comments are neither hyperbolic nor inaccurate.

Yes, this is true.  I can appreciate the intricacies involved with this, but again, it goes back to the fact that Dean Hall stated that mod development would continue in parallel.  I'm sure he knew the implications of that and should keep his word.

Again, they were aware of the implications when announcing that the mod would continue to be developed in parallel.  I appreciate what they have done to live up to that, but am frustrated at the areas in which they've dropped the ball.  I also think that they should focus on SA, but at the same time give the mod devs the tools and the ability to continue development without major setbacks like a 6 month delay in patch approval our the permanent loss of the public hive.

When I was on the dev team, there were posts in the forum talking about how "we" were being ignored, and it turned out that ONE email had been sent ONE time despite the endless number of pokes, prods, and nudges towards Razor, he sent ONE email and left it at that.. to somehow be discovered MONTHS after it was sent.

The ONLY reason it ever got addressed was because "someone" IM'd Dean on skype when they saw him log in and asked if he had seen the forum posts about what a dick he was for not replying.... he immediately addressed the issue....

I have NO idea what caused the next series of delays, but my guess would be it's the same cause as before... the same the guy who has removed so many talented folks from the Dev team without so much as a SECOND of group discussion much less a vote... same guy that prevents so many from wanting to contribute, and same fella that's bred so much discontent and aggression towards the actual author of the mod we all allegedly "love" so much here.

Here's the thing.... this "community" has done basically nothing but bitch and moan and act like they are owed something... The players deserve and endless stream of updates and attention to a costly central hive, other modders somehow were owed the right to make derivative mods, the official devs deserved early access to SA or jobs... the community deserves more timely updates....

News Flash!!! Companies owe you NOTHING.... they sell you products... if you don't like the product... stop fucking using it and don't recommend it to friends...  if you don't want to buy it... DON'T.

Rocket, a worker for BI, made a successful mod, so successful that he was able to sell the rights to it to BI, this is something that RARELY happens... on a small scale, much less BI deciding to develop an entire standalone game around a modification of their game... It makes winning the lotto look about as special as getting hit with a raindrop in a rainstorm.

All this toxic bullshit of "he promised us" is just fucking insane. Grow up, no one OWES you anything, promises are made in good faith with the best information available to you at the time. Gamespy has shut down in the interim for fuck's sake... we're dealing with PEOPLE here, not all knowing psychic telepaths.

Allowing the official mod to continue development out of his oversight, and in tandem with SA was crazy, and it's done NOTHING but provide a thorn in his side since... CanGate, DelayGate, HiveGate... give me a fucking break gate.

You want someone to blame for the state of DayZ Mod... look to the guy who has taken ownership of it, not the guy who gave it away.

• Like 4

and without those the dayz mod would have been dead long ago and you would have no dayz to play at all.

Really?, dayz mod still seems to have a huge throughput of new players and that has always been the case, I believe all these dayz bastardisations are damaging to the community, BI and Dayz as a product.

Edited by Mutagen_7B4

When I was on the dev team...

Breath, man...BREATHE!  And you said my comments were hyperbolic!  Listen, you're either blowing my comments out of proportion or grouping me together with other people that have said some horrible things.  I'm not slandering Dean Hall or making personal attacks.  I'm only asking for two (fairly simple) things:

1. A formal statement about whether or not there will be any effort to recover the mod's public hive (even if the answer's no...just an acknowledgment that it's down and cannot be recovered)
  2. The ability for mod devs to get approval for new patches in a decent time frame so that they can continue to develop the mod

As of May it looks like #2 is happening now which is fantastic.  Not sure why you use rhetoric such as "All this toxic bullshit of "he promised us" is just fucking insane. Grow up, no one OWES you anything...".  It's perfectly reasonable for someone to be upset about a game developer going back on something they said in an official announcement.  Even if the reasons for why things are the way they are might be fuzzy, I'm not sure why you're calling my reaction "fucking insane".  You're being more insulting than the people you're calling out.

When I was on the dev team

When was that exactly?

I only remember you wanting to contribute for the official DayZ Mod, not actually being part of anything.

It's disappointing that the entire map is now riddled with the cancer of hackers.

Well while I didn't lost my faith in devs, I'm starting to notice the loosing fight vs cheats. 

Really?, dayz mod still seems to have a huge throughput of new players and that has always been the case, I believe all these dayz bastardisations are damaging to the community, BI and Dayz as a product.

ya. that is why people complain about vanilla dayz mod servers being empty compared to the servers running epoch and other mods. vanilla dayz mod gets boring really fast, because there is nothign to do other than play deathmatch(and by play deathmatch i mean mostly hanging around on the coast killing fresh spawns). at least in the mod servers such as epoch there is actually stuff to fight over.

Edited by hellcat420

When was that exactly?

I only remember you wanting to contribute for the official DayZ Mod, not actually being part of anything.

Considering the project that I spearheaded actually produced a fully ported terrain and over 30 enterable buildings, 20-30 unique character models/skins, dozens of vehicles, and dozens of loot items, (many of which you're playing with in the official mod) I find it fairly laughable that you'd paint me as some desperate fool who was dying to get on the official mod team.

FYI I was a member from Apr-Aug 2013 approx. Initially all I did was try to contact 3rd party modders to see if the official dev team could use their assets. I got the permission to use Dslyecxi's addons, and approached a bunch of the derivative mods about integrating their changes. I also essentially told the modeller that was working on Sahrani to stop working on our assets and to work with the DayZ guys for his, their, and players benefit. I then configured all the finished models he produced. I also configured and created all the cans that were abandoned or never finished due to CanGate.

I'm a fairly moody fella, and often state things in a more offensive manner than I intend. On a lot of levels, my previous post is just as representative of the toxicity that I vilify in it.

Razor does tons for the mod, and has obviously dedicated tons of time and energy to it, and I'm not trying to slight him for that. I'm merely a little skeptical of the assertions that Dean/BI are uncontactable or ignoring anyone. I get replies when I mail my contacts at BI.

I don't hold any resentment for being removed from the group (other than the sheer level of childishness to how/why it was done) if I was asked to rejoin, I wouldn't.

But for the record I have since (and will always) offer up any of my work for anyone including the official mod to use... in fact I did the brick apartment buildings mostly with the idea in mind of sharing them with the official mod.... I would have already sent them the source, but they need cleaning up first, and I'm working on several other projects that have prevented me from finishing them to the standards I know the official mod would want.

Threads like this make me lose faith in the community.

meh i am taking a brake after today again, since had 3 Zs attacking from the second floor destroying all my bandages. not flaming or anything but at current state brakes are needed.....

Edited by reapers239