Sign in to follow this  
NeoNTrooper

Server reset character

Hello,
is it true that there are servers, which reset the character?
If yes, how to recognize them before Ienter?

This is not true. Whether or not a server resets your character seems almost entirely random.

A server's name is just used to either attract, or scare away potential players.

For example, if someone wanted to attract players, they could say "INCREASED LOOT NUMBERS! NO KOS! 24/7 DAY!"

But, even more annoying, is if people want to scare away players so that they can loot up and be a KoS dickface on another server.

"DO NOT JOIN! SERVER INSTABILITY, CHARACTER WIPES ARE GUARENTEED!!!"

^ These are the only servers I can bring myself to server hop for supplies, just to guarentee that the one dick on the server can't get the gear.

Then I hand it out to freshspawns.

• Like 2

I've got a couple hundred hours in game, and it's never happened to me. BUT...I saw a post on the forums not too long ago that somebody experienced a wipe, said they saw a message that came up when they were logging in. Said something like "cannot find character, reverting to default character". They said if you see that message hit ESC and join another server.  

2 nights ago I was logging into a server and just happened to notice the message come up in the lower left of the screen, in red text. I didn't take any chances and hit ESC, went to another server, and all was fine. I don't remember the server name saying anything to try to ward off people from joining, I think it was a pretty generic DayZ server name. I will definitely pay closer attention to that login text in the future.

Wipes only happen on the experimental branch, because the server data is most of the time very unstable and crashes allot (at least once each two hours on the current version), because of such a crash your character data (in the private hive of the experimental servers) can get corrupted, due to saving failure.

• Like 1

Wipes only happen on the experimental branch [...]

That's a big fat lie right there. I've never played experimental, not once, and my character was wiped just yesterday.

Also, that was on the server I spend 90% of my time on, only the 2nd time I've been reset in a month playing there 4-5 days a week few hours at a time, so it's not something that comes with the server but just an unlucky bug somewhere methinks.

Edited by zeeabo
  • Like 1

Perhaps, some messages of scared players are due to the fact that they have login to a Server, without noticing it's a hardcore server. They see, that the inventar is empty, so they quickly logout and change to an other (now normal) server and interpret all wrong. 

This can be the cause of rumors and misunderstandings.

Wipes only happen on the experimental branch, because the server data is most of the time very unstable and crashes allot (at least once each two hours on the current version), because of such a crash your character data (in the private hive of the experimental servers) can get corrupted, due to saving failure.

Yeah your right, I was playing experimental and every single server I join has a different character waiting for me. Its really annoying considering they want player to try stuff before they come out yet you can't really get anywhere with starting again every time you change a server.

That's a big fat lie right there. I've never played experimental, not once, and my character was wiped just yesterday.

Also, that was on the server I spend 90% of my time on, only the 2nd time I've been reset in a month playing there 4-5 days a week few hours at a time, so it's not something that comes with the server but just an unlucky bug somewhere methinks.

It is not a lie. Deliberate character wipes, which is what the OP asked about, is only currently being done on experimental on a regular basis and cannot be performed by server admins. What you experienced is none of that. I have a sneaky suspicion that most "character wipes" on stable is actually due to unlucky logout situations. Remember no place is 100% safe to logout in. You could have been wasted by another player or a zombie.

Secondly, sometimes there are short disconnections to the character database, if so a message will appear on the server when you log in that that is the case and you will indeed be a newspawn. However that message also contains the advice that you should log out and rejoin a server. If the problem persists then you should take a short break and log in at a later time when there is a connection to the database again. If you ignore this advice your new character will eventually be saved over your old character and the fault of the character wipe is entirely your own.

Edited by BadAsh
  • Like 2

Remember no place is 100% safe to logout in. You could have been wasted by another player or a zombie.

Except when it's not a logout ;) I usually play till the server restarts at ~1am local time and I know it's not logout timer death if I'm behind the keyboard right until the server goes down.

Saying that exp. is the "only" place wipes happen is a lie, but I was pointing it out in jest and didn't mean any offence.. Hard to relate through text.

I missed the memo that OP was talking about deliberate character wipes :(

I only speak from my experience and I truly never had a single wipe on stable.

"stable wipes" are exactly what has been said before:

If the server cannot load your char (you are notified about it by a rather long red message while loading, sometimes a split second before you enter the game) it will load a default char.

Now, if the gameserver reconnects to the character-server before you log off (maybe +30sec) it will upload your received default char as your new "live" char.

I have a sneaky suspicion that most "character wipes" on stable is actually due to unlucky logout situations. Remember no place is 100% safe to logout in. You could have been wasted by another player or a zombie.

sorry, but nope. 1 week ago i was with 2 friends on a server. some other friends came online and we wanted to join their server. so we had a save place to log out and switch server. i logged out at first and about 20 seconds later my friends. as i joined the other server, i became a freshspawn, the other 2 guys still got their gear. they told me that my char disappeared in a strange way without log out animation and pretty quick(max 10 Seconds).

Edited by newguyzombie

If a server has issues connecting to the hive, you can risk getting wiped, since the server will create a new character for you, if it suddenly gains connection to the hive again while you are in game on that server with a new spawned char, it will send the SAVE command, and your data will be overwritten.

It is not a lie. Deliberate character wipes, which is what the OP asked about, is only currently being done on experimental on a regular basis and cannot be performed by server admins. What you experienced is none of that. I have a sneaky suspicion that most "character wipes" on stable is actually due to unlucky logout situations. Remember no place is 100% safe to logout in. You could have been wasted by another player or a zombie.

Secondly, sometimes there are short disconnections to the character database, if so a message will appear on the server when you log in that that is the case and you will indeed be a newspawn. However that message also contains the advice that you should log out and rejoin a server. If the problem persists then you should take a short break and log in at a later time when there is a connection to the database again. If you ignore this advice your new character will eventually be saved over your old character and the fault of the character wipe is entirely your own.

That makes the most sense but I just went on DayZ tonight after a few month break, trying to hook up with a mate who is new to it and with every server closure/kick (Im assuming due to the update) our characters reset. I even ran into a random player after this happened about 4 times who was describing the exact same thing, (as well as happening to his mate who he was also trying to meet up with).

it just happend to me and in 200 + hourts of puse awsomeness this is the third time that that is happening to me

The Bohemian Bungholes wiped my ass three times in the past week on stable. And the server browser...it stinks!

I swear multiplayer gaming was smoother on 56k dialup ten plus years ago.