TEST_SUBJECT_83

Possible 3rd person exploit "fix" suggestion

Tired searching for a topic to add this to an existing topic instead of starting a new one, but I for some reason didn't see any when I made a search for "3rd person"

Anyways,

Exploiting 3rd person has been discussed to death here and many ideas have been suggested.

None of which is an outright "fix" for the issue.

3rd person has been in games for many years and is a great way to play games.

But DayZ being an open world PVP game, cover and hiding from players is a HUGE part of the game and being able to be safe and out of sight while you have full view of everything is kinda cheap IMO.

Now Im not saying that this is THE idea, but wanted to share it and see what ya'll think of it.

So what if when your character gets a certain distance from a wall, tree or anything that gives you cover you automatically go into 1st person?

Or instead of a jarring switch that you cant control, I think a better solution may be, the closer you get to a wall the closer the camera gets over your shoulder until its right next to your head.

That way its a gradual change instead of automatically switching which I could see people not liking.

This way you get the best of both worlds IMO.

You can see your character and for people that get motion sickness can have 3rd person and still keep things fair by not allowing to look over or around cover.

I feel like this could actually work well.

Please let me know why this may be a bad idea or just wont work.

The only negative I can think of is the camera changing when running or walking past trees or objects, so maybe it could only apply to walls and buildings.

People could still look around trees but honestly walls are the biggest problem IMO.

What do you guys think?

This is just a suggestion, no need to get defensive if you dont like it, if so tell me why and explain your reasons for hating it,

please dont comment "no" unless you back it up with your reasons.

Thanks.

Edited by TEST_SUBJECT_83

Tired searching for a topic to add this to an existing topic instead of starting a new one, but I for some reason didn't see any when I made a search for "3rd person"

Anyways,

Exploiting 3rd person has been discussed to death here and many ideas have been suggested.

None of which is an outright "fix" for the issue.

3rd person has been in games for many years and is a great way to play games.

But DayZ being an open world PVP game, cover and hiding from players is a HUGE part of the game and being able to be safe and out of sight while you have full view of everything is kinda cheap IMO.

Now Im not saying that this is THE idea, but wanted to share it and see what ya'll think of it.

So what if when your character gets a certain distance from a wall, tree or anything that gives you cover you automatically go into 1st person?

Or instead of a jarring switch that you cant control, I think a better solution may be, the closer you get to a wall the closer the camera gets over your shoulder until its right next to your head.

That way its a gradual change instead of automatically switching which I could see people not liking.

This way you get the best of both worlds IMO.

You can see your character and for people that get motion sickness can have 3rd person and still keep things fair by not allowing to look over or around cover.

I feel like this could actually work well.

Please let me know why this may be a bad idea or just wont work.

The only negative I can think of is the camera changing when running or walking past trees or objects, so maybe it could only apply to walls and buildings.

People could still look around trees but honestly walls are the biggest problem IMO.

What do you guys think?

This is just a suggestion, no need to get defensive if you dont like it, if so tell me why and explain your reasons for hating it,

please dont comment "no" unless you back it up with your reasons.

Thanks.

idk about the automatic switching thing you suggested, but you're right, there needs to be a fix to the exploiting in 3rd person through walls.  what's funny about 3rd person is that people talk about making the gameplay as real as possible, but forget to mention that just having 3rd person view is the main thing that makes this game not real.  I've thought about only playing hardcore to avoid the glitch. but then I can't see over my shoulder when running with a backpack on...

I say take a World of Tanks approach:

When in 3'rd person, modular objects (tents, people, zombies, anything not native to the map) will not render if they are not in your Line of Sight. Basically, the modular objects you can see in 1st person, is all you can render in 3rd person. You can still render the buildings and such.

Or play hardcore no 3pp and its already in game option? - WoT still is very 3pp, I use it all the time

I suppose if they decided to change it ( you do realize they wont right?) your basic idea would work decently enough, but if they did get rid of it just make all servers hardcore ya?

Edited by tiadashi

I like to think of third person as a metaphor.  when you're playing in first person you have to stick your whole head, some of your shoulder, and like, half of your torso to get a peek around.  the third person 'exploit' is really more like you just poking enough of you around to see.  

Alternatively, an idea for a fix might be, whenever you're close to cover in 3rd person, your character automatically sticks his head around it unless you press a button not to. But that would be kinda sticky. 

Play hardcore. There's your "fix".

When i made missions for Arma III, i always put in a little script.

It forced 1st person view as soon as you raised your gun.

So basicly you could walk/run around with a lowered weapon, and use 3rd person view, but when ever it was time to engage, every single player in the mission got forced into 1st person view, by raising the gun.

Dunno if such a thing could work here tbh, but it worked great in my old Arma III community :)

• Like 1