Cap'n (DayZ)

The scary truth about the firestaton...

Well cheers for the info. I had always thought they had a different intended use, same with the "school". Just people branded them this and that buildings, because that's what they most resembled.

Any ideas what the "school" is actually meat to be??

It's an office building.  Did you ever notice that there is no class rooms?

Well, from my understanding, Chernarussian is technically the Czech language. The Cyrillic must be Russian. Makes sense, as there is a sizeable Russian minority.

no! Chernarussian isn´t technically Czech language! Try use google translator to translate any sentence from EN to RUS and from EN to CZ . . . and if you aren´t totally dumb, you will see two absolutely different languages. Signs in Chernarus are mix between russia language, czech language and couple signs are in english ;-) so open your mind and try to learn something new . . . before you start silly topic!!!!

Edited by Jarmil_Prdel

Whilst ia gree the signs should Name things correctly, me and my People we have a way to Name things ourselfs *as most Groups/Clans do *...

I liked when someone called some building the "gaybar".

The school actually is an office. Its model is literally named "office2".

Whenever my friends mention the "school" I pretend to not know where they mean until they call it the office...

• Like 3

Whenever my friends mention the "school" I pretend to not know where they mean until they call it the office...

I call it. That thing with the windows, and the 3 doors, and it has 3 floors! And it has rooms! With stuff in them! And boxes and chairs!

Then they get pissed and call it the office like good little DayZ players.

I call it. That thing with the windows, and the 3 doors, and it has 3 floors! And it has rooms! With stuff in them! And boxes and chairs!

Then they get pissed and call it the office like good little DayZ players.

That's a bit of a mouthful. You could call it boxes and stairs and tables and chairs for short.

It was trivia and a poor joke. Then everyone went fucking nuts.

Day Z is serious shit ! BEWARE 

• Like 1

Day Z is serious shit ! BEWARE 

naww... everyone knows only Internet Spaceships are SRS BSNS!

naww... everyone knows only Internet Spaceships are SRS BSNS!

so i gues u too are a Starcitizen backer ? 

ok i admit i bought a origin 325 when i was drunk ( at that time i thought it was a great idea )  :lol:

• Like 1

so i gues u too are a Starcitizen backer ? 

ok i admit i bought a origin 325 when i was drunk ( at that time i thought it was a great idea )  :lol:

Eve online reference actually, but i am interested in SC. just not sure how it will go. one of my greatest fears (and hopes) is how the economy will work in the final product. if they miss the mark i can see it becoming the ultimate "rich kids pay to win"

Want to hear something scary? It all happened one time I was sitting on the Fire Station roof having a bite to eat. It was a nice sunny morning. It hadn't rained since last night, but the roof was still a little wet. I didn't mind. At least it wasnt raining, as I was stuck outside, you see. I was waiting for some zombies who had noticed me to get bored and go away. Of course, they didn't go away. They just vainly circled the building, trying to find a ramp up here because they're too stupid to follow me up the ladder.  There were 3 in all. A male and 2 females. I can't bring myself to call them "a man and two women"... It just- doesn't feel right. I had stumbled upon all three while combing the Cherno industrial park. I was making my way under what cover I could find in a stormy night, when a burst of lightning at the wrong time caused a zombie to see me. Before I knew it 2 more were on me and I was running for my life. I was crawling under fences or jumping over them- I swear those zombies seemed to go right through em!

Anyways, I'm getting carried away. So as I was saying,  I'm crouched there on the fire station Tower roof, I bring out my stove and frying pan. I'm pretty scared of looking at my matches, hoping they're not mush from the rain. Just in luck, they didn't get very wet. My stove lights up by the third match. As I'm waiting for the frying pan to heat up, I peak around. The zombies have been quite for a while. Maybe they forgot about me. It's a nice view from upt here. Great view of the ocean. I opened my canned bacon and some beans, and set em on the grill.

Thats when I hear a large "pop". Gunfire! I hear another two rounds sound off. It's coming from the industrial park. I bring up my binocs. Over by the smoke stack. One person, a man. Doesn't look like he's doing very well. He's only wearing jeans and a t shirt. In his hands he's got a flashlight. He's running for his life from some zombies. But where did those gun shots come from? The defenseless human gets cornered by one zombie, and is about to get attacked when a gun fire sounds off and the zombie drops dead. The poor man looks terrified. He screams and drops the flashlight, and runs away from 2 heavily geared survivors. One has an M4 in his hands, the other a Mosin rifle. Both are in camoflauged gear, wearing gasmasks. They are shouting at the terrified man "Friendly! We're Friendly! Come back we just want to give you some fruit!", all the same while popping off rounds at his heels. Bandits! Killers! Murderers!

My blood starts pumping as I go prone on the roof. Oh shit! He's dragging them right to me! I peek over the side again. He manages to crawl into the yard behind the fire station... Idiot! He's gonna get me killed! But poor guy couldn't catch a break. The Zed's near me alert to him. They turn around slowly. Gurgling, drowning noises and clicks come from their throats, before a gleeful HOWL erupts and they start in on the poor fellow. He brings his hands up. One- POW! Two- WAM! This guy musta have been a boxer or SOMETHING 'cause he just KO'd two zombies. The third one goes down with a third punch! He's da undisputed champeen' a da world!

Then from 50 yards away the M4 sounds off again, and that's when the man screams in pain and goes down from a bullet to the leg. I could hear his bone break too, over the bullet crack. Or I imagined I did. He looked up in horror as the 3 zombies started to get up, sizing up a an easy meal. That's when I notice the 2 killers creep up, weapons drawn on the Zed's while they tore into that poor man. Not 20 feet behind the zombies the two murderers shook with silent laughter over the screams of the man being tore to pieces. When he quieted down, his screams of anguish mercifully silenced... I'll never forget his cries of "HELP! STOP! WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS?"... when he had died, the man with the mosin erupted into laughter, drawing the Zed's attention. His buddy mowed down the 3 zombies in quick order, and the two were bent over laughing in hysterics. They congratulated themselves while the bile rose up in my throat. I was in such shock, so much horror had happened in such a short time that I was witness too...

I leaned my head against the wall, and fought the urge to vomit. It was as if I had just drank a bottle of disinfectant, the feeling of nausea. That's when I got a waft of  cooking food on the wind... My eyes bulged as I quietly moved the frying pan off the burner. It made a small "hiss" as I set it on the roof. I turned off the burner. "Let's loot this building." I hear one man say to the other. I hope they don't come up here. I bring out my pistol. Trusty ol' 357. Leaves holes in things. I couldn't get into a fire fight though. I was a sitting duck up there if anyone noticed me. They tore though the building but never came on the roof. They were talking about heading to Elektro, and I watched them head north and east.

The thing about being a soldier is you have to eat and sleep when you can get it. I was so excited to eat this meal before all this happened, now I felt numb and the idea of eating seemed unpalatable. Fucking jerks. Sill this food was nearly cooked, so I reached into my backpack to pull out my matches. As I lit up the burner and set the frying pan on, I heard static coming from the walkie talkie in my pack. That's odd. I must have turned on the radio while rooting through my bag. I didn't remember putting a fresh battery in, so was surprised that it even picked up a signal. I reached in and turned up the volume, just a little bit more. It was on the first channel, and someone was definitely broadcasting on it. It was coming through, very faint. They must have been on the the edges of broadcasting distance. I screened my ear to listen, squinting my eyes as if that would somehow help. At first the message wasn't very clear. M.....S.....E.....Ch...Ma...S...Ch...Ach...Mach...Es...Matches.

Matches? Someone was saying "Matches" over and over? I looked down to my left and saw the box of matches lying on the roof. I couldn't be hearing them right... There was something about the voice though. At first, while I couldn't make out the message, it sounded like someone in distress. Someone pleading, yearning... Begging even. But it was more than that, there was a sort of sick desperation in the voice coming over the radio. It wasn't begging but it was ordering. It sounded sinister and cruel, and before you knew it, my little radio was raging at me "MATCHES! LEAVE THE MATCHES!! LEAVE THE MATCHES! LEAVE THE MATCHES!"

I switched the station like a reflex, thouroughly creeped out. My mind wasn't put at ease for long however, as almost immediately on the next station the static cut in, and slowly a word started to appear on it's waves "Atches.. Ma... Es... Mat...Tches...Matches.... MAATCHes... MAAATCHESSS...." I switched to the next channel, terror welling up inside me as I realized that on all frequencies a single collective transmission was being broadcast. A crazed, whisperly, ethereal voice demanding "MATCHES! MATCHES! LEAVE THE MATCHES! LEAVE THE MATCHES!" It had in insane squeak and a demonic growl to it at the same time, indeed sounding insane and making my hair stand on end.

Not thinking of anything else to do I twisted the power off so hard I could have broken it, but to my dispair the voices continued to come through it! "MATCHES! LEAVE THE MATCHES! THE MATCHES!" a thousand voices crying at the same time for the same awful thing. Wide eyed with fright I fumbled the walkie talkie over and clumsily opened the battery case. What I am about to tell you next shocked me so badly I still have nightmares about it. There was no battery powering the radio. I have no explanation as to why or how it was able to produce sound the way it did. If I think about it too long I figure I will go crazy, so I just turn my eye to it and never think about it.

I dropped the radio like it was a snake, and against my will, my eyes slid over to the innocuous matchbox I had left sitting on the Fire Station Tower roof. I didn't even think about picking up those matches. Before I knew it I was down off the roof, my breakfast still cooking up top, sitting next to a box of matches and a walkie talking with an exposed, empty, battery compartment.

That was the day the Chernogorsk Fire Station burnt down.

• Like 2

no! Chernarussian isn´t technically Czech language! Try use google translator to translate any sentence from EN to RUS and from EN to CZ . . . and if you aren´t totally dumb, you will see two absolutely different languages. Signs in Chernarus are mix between russia language, czech language and couple signs are in english ;-) so open your mind and try to learn something new . . . before you start silly topic!!!!

I'm saying that Czech is Chernarussian, and vice-versa. Bohemia was just smart enough to use their native language (their demographic probably doesn't know Czech), and it seems foreign enough. I presume you didn't play the original ArmA 2 campaign. I'm not saying it's its own language, I'm saying it's just faux Czech. Oh, and they're is some faux Russian too.

Really uncalled for to start bashing OP out of nowhere. This is a fine topic  :blink:

wow,

some people really got riled up by this!

I read it as someone pointing out some trivia, as apposed to trying to out smart an entire community of players... 

Someone should start a thread that tries to get to the bottom of why people in forums just can't resist being completely reactionary and get involved with constant 'one-up-manship'

As for the 'school'  I've had my virtual wrists slapped for being a pedant about calling it an office building by friends I play with, so I just stopped and now i call it a school too (even though I know it really isn't)

• Like 2

It's a District Department Militia. Fancy way of saying, POLICE STATION!

Bohemia does have a habit of reusing models but the fire station is definitely a fire station. It has a drill tower and follows the same basic pattern of fire stations around the world (this one in the UK, for example, or this little mini one).

As for the militia connection, you'd have to ask someone from the Czech Republic whether this is a throwback to the Cold War or a peculiarly Eastern European way of doing things. Perhaps the fire departments were once managed by the people's militia over there.

The presence of military weapons in the loot table is probably something to do with Bohemia's odd sense of humour, or their prodigious alcohol intake. Life is short and brutal in Eastern Europe, they have to laugh because otherwise they would cry; and the harder they cry, the more they must laugh.

Edited by AshleyP

Bohemia does have a habit of reusing models - the geometry of the pub is fifteen years old - but the fire station is definitely a fire station. It has a drill tower and follows the same basic pattern of fire stations around the world (this one in the UK, for example, or this little mini one).

As for the militia connection, you'd have to ask someone from the Czech Republic whether this is a throwback to the Cold War or a peculiarly Eastern European way of doing things. Perhaps the fire departments were once managed by the people's militia over there.

The presence of military weapons in the loot table is probably something to do with Bohemia's odd sense of humour, or their prodigious alcohol intake. Life is short and brutal in Eastern Europe, they have to laugh because otherwise they would cry; and the harder they cry, the more they must laugh.

I thought that the Czech Repulic had a high standard of living (bar the massive problem with meth they have over there...)? But, I know very little of Eastern ways of doing things. We'd need someone more qualified to confirm this. I just thought that it was a police station, as there is a policeman and a police Lada in ArmA 2(strangely attached to civillians instead of branching off from CDF). But, hey. They're Bohemia! They have an odd sense of humor.

ahem ahem

StrazPozarna.jpg

What is the tower even for? I'm certain it isn't a lookout tower- I'm sure the Czech Republic has a emergency phone system. This isn't the 19th century.

Maybe those are actually two buidlings. The circled one is a police station and the rest is a fire station (the real life picture doesn't have any additional building). There is no reason for a police station to have garage doors that big and a tower. BTW that tower is used for hanging hoses to dry.

CmLYV4M.jpg

• Like 1

I thought that the Czech Repulic had a high standard of living (bar the massive problem with meth they have over there...)? But, I know very little of Eastern ways of doing things. We'd need someone more qualified to confirm this. I just thought that it was a police station, as there is a policeman and a police Lada in ArmA 2(strangely attached to civillians instead of branching off from CDF). But, hey. They're Bohemia! They have an odd sense of humor.

There is no massive problem with meth or alcohol in Czech Republic. Meth is more popular than heroin or cocaine in Czech Republic, that is true, but the number of people using hard drugs is actually lower than in the USA or the UK.

Source: http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2012/jul/02/drug-use-map-world

Alcohol consumption is comparable to other European countries.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_alcohol_consumption

What is the tower even for? I'm certain it isn't a lookout tower- I'm sure the Czech Republic has a emergency phone system. This isn't the 19th century.

Apart from drying hoses, they're also used for training:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drill_tower

The one in the game doesn't seem to have anywhere to hang the hoses, unless they snake down the stairs. I popped off here to see if I could find a picture of a Czech fire station, and according to the brochure this is what Czech firepeople do all day:

2ikfo8n.jpg

As you can see they (a) clean snow off trees ( b ) clean dirt off upturned lorries (  c ) clean dirt off tractors (d) help pigs give birth.

On a more serious level the text implies that they would, if DayZ was real, have been on the front line against the zombies (the "radiation accidents" aspect is worrying - what happened in 2006? The lull in 2007 and 2008 worries me).

Edited by AshleyP
  • Like 1