nexventor

DayZ moving to new engine - ENFUSION

Just me... or does anyone else think the OP is like 13?

Or English isn't his first language? So yeah just you.

Just me... or does anyone else think the OP is like 13?

Im not 13 years old.İf you cant be satisfied I can show you my ID. I m not native speaker but at least simply I can explain what I want ask and know.

• Like 2

Pretty sure they're just changing the rendering system, the game engine itself (everything not-pertaining to graphics) will be 100% the same. Absolutely none of what you talked about is really relevant to the "engine" updates that are going to happen.

Indeed. The game engine remains a reworked version of that used in ToH i believe.

So ArmA 2.5 with a new graphics renderer.

Indeed. The game engine remains a reworked version of that used in ToH i believe.

So ArmA 2.5 with a new graphics renderer.

So thats mean for example ; Car,boats, helis mechanics and physics will be exacly same as arma2 or arma3 ?

So thats mean for example ; Car,boats, helis mechanics and physics will be exacly same as arma2 or arma3 ?

No not exactly they have used a different physics model to that of arma 2 or arma 3 how realistic it will be in the end is anyones guess ,depends on how long they spend writing it/developing it. The underlying engine is still the RV3 modified version of ToH but large chunks of it have been replaced/are being replaced so enough to call it its own engine but it will share some similarity to where it came from.

So pull out your crystal ball and predict the future...

• Like 1

If you're going to copy and past someone else's words, you really need to cite your source. Plagiarism is illegal.

lol....this made me laugh.

• Like 1

Actually, client/server communication ( which is also a part of the engine ) is often the bottleneck when it comes to FPS. The client can't render and calculate what the server isn't telling in time.

The OP isn't talking about client/server communication. The client/server communication can be bottlenecked by the server's ability to run the game, but the client's FPS cannot be bottlenecked by client/server communication. Client side has network prediction which fills in the gaps for incomplete network data. Notice people running into walls when they're lagging? The game isn't dependent on network information for displaying frames. Game engines are broken down into multiple components. What produces frames on the screen is a completely different component than the network communications component. You can turn your internet off, ceasing all internet connection, and you will maintain the same framerate you did before turning off your internet.

If what you were suggesting were true - then you'd get varied framerates based what servers you joined, and that's obviously not the case.

Err... did you read the op? 

Yes, but something tells me you didn't. Maybe you're in the wrong thread?

Edited by t1337Dude

Hello all;

I was just wondering if there has been any recent dev feedback on when they expect to implement the upcoming new game engine on to experimental.

I feel a little worn out with the current status of hackers in the game and am not expecting to play again until the new engine is released or until new major content is released that opens up more diverse things to work towards in game.

Thanks in advance.

Its an ongoing process whereby they are systematically replacing pieces of the old engine. They have already started. They wont finish tell the end of alpha, probably over 12 months from now.

We're playing on the Enfusion engine as we speak. If you're meaning the new renderer, they say Q1 2015 before we see anything fruitful.

I'm just hoping that because it's being made a big thing that this is seperate from anything to do with an Arma engine I will be able to fire an AK from the bed of a truck as my buddy's driving. I'm going to be upset if we get "___ can't be done due to engine limitations"

• Like 1

This thread gives me a headache, so much misinformation.....

The "new engine" is already in the game and has been since the very start of development, that is the so called "Arma 2.5" engine Bohemia started off with.

From the very get go, the entire point of making a standalone, was to get over the limitations Arma had, when it comes to a persistant open world game, as Arma was never designed for such a thing.

I see people using sentences like "when will we get the new engine" or "when we get it, the game will run so much better" and this is hurting my eyes.

You wont get a new engine, we already have Enfusion, and the only reason it will not be named "Real Virtuality 2/3/4/5 whatever" is because in the end it will be so far from RV that the resemblances will be very small.

People need to understand that the work that has been done on player skeletons, AI pathfinding and intellegence, player collision, door collision, the entire attachment system and so on, is the creation of Enfusion. We already have the engine, in a raw unpolished state, and over the next 1-2 years it will be refined.

As an example they are working on disconnecting the renderer from the simulation, as this is how the RV engine works, and they want to do so, to increase performance client side and hopefully take better advantage of DirectX technologies.

Dean should have never used the word "New Engine", as this is simply not the case imho, but he isnt a PR guy, hes a computer nerd, with poor people skills and in general, its very easy to misunderstand what these people say.

Realize this people, we have Enfusion right now, they are working on refining it, and it has from day 1 been the entire purpose of creating a standalone title.

If you have been following the development from the mod times, you would know this.

The OP isn't talking about client/server communication. The client/server communication can be bottlenecked by the server's ability to run the game, but the client's FPS cannot be bottlenecked by client/server communication. Client side has network prediction which fills in the gaps for incomplete network data. Notice people running into walls when they're lagging? The game isn't dependent on network information for displaying frames. Game engines are broken down into multiple components. What produces frames on the screen is a completely different component than the network communications component. You can turn your internet off, ceasing all internet connection, and you will maintain the same framerate you did before turning off your internet.

If what you were suggesting were true - then you'd get varied framerates based what servers you joined, and that's obviously not the case.

That is not entirely true actually.

If the server FPS drops below 5-10, the clients will suffer and that is why you lag (takes 5 secs to take out a weapon, object takes 10 secs to render on the floor when dropped, people look like they are teleporting, etc.)

It has been like this in all the RV engines, the client is heavily dependent on the servers ability to tell it what to do.

This is the exact reason why creating missions for Arma II and III is such a delicate process.

That is the entire reason we see the devs so focused on making the server run better. Because if the server runs like crap, every single player on that server will feel it, in terms of ingame lag.

Ofc when you talk about FPS client side, this isnt relevant, but FPS lag isnt the only kind of lag we got here, just wanted to point this out :)

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 3

...just one question, did game move to new engine at all?

Cheers...

Yes and no. It's an ongoing process as they replace bits and pieces of the engine with every new patch. Right now we have many parts redone or improved, but are still running on the old engine in other parts of it. I.e., AI navigation is already the new engine while the renderer is still the old one and about to be replaced soon.

Edited by ChainReactor
  • Like 1

Wow I read the first page and then jumped down here, lucky number 13. And to my surprise you guys are still ON topic! 

Cheers everyone.

I have no idea of what a NEW engine consists of, so I will go back to read now.

I understand they have big plans but why would anyone get excited about them putting a Blackhawk in the game? I was expecting multiple helicopters, to be quite honest. Not just the heli crash sites. XD

I'm pretty sure he was joking.  As in he can hear a Blackhawk helicopter full of BI Internal Security personal coming to put a burlap bag over his head and make him disappear for violating his Non-Disclosure Agreement.

That said, I'd be pretty excited if helicopters were back in the game.  Maybe not Blackhawks or Little Birds, as this is Chernarus and those are NATO helicopters.  But Hinds, MI-17s, maybe a Aérospatiale Gazelle.  Hueys are fine as they are exported all over the world for the past 40 years.  No attack gunships though.  Maybe some police or news helicopters.  Anyhow, I digress.

Hello,
I love the progress that is being done on the game, it's really getting quite good!

There is one thing I'm wondering about, and I'm sure it will be talked about eventually.. so pardon my impatience.
We haven't heard much about the new renderer in a while,
and I was wondering if you (the devs) could maybe share what your plans for new features are?

For instance are you considering any of the following?

• Shadows
    Multiple light sources casting shadows (might be hard on the machine having to draw the "shadow world" several times?)
    Soft shadows
    Clouds casting shadows (if this is possible with the cloud system)
    M-maybe even rain..?

• Shaders
    Parralax, displacement or even tesselation?
    Wetness attribute to material shaders

• Reflections
    Dual hemisphere reflections or similar (same boat as multiple shadows I guess, with having to draw the world several times)
    Screen space reflections (might be a bit hacky, but looks good on certain things, like water and puddles in combination with fresnel and a reflection box for off-angles)

Sorry if you can't answer yet, I'm just really curious.

Thank you!

Hello,

I love the progress that is being done on the game, it's really getting quite good!

There is one thing I'm wondering about, and I'm sure it will be talked about eventually.. so pardon my impatience.

We haven't heard much about the new renderer in a while,

and I was wondering if you (the devs) could maybe share what your plans for new features are?

For instance are you considering any of the following?

• Shadows

Multiple light sources casting shadows (might be hard on the machine having to draw the "shadow world" several times?)

Soft shadows

Clouds casting shadows (if this is possible with the cloud system)

M-maybe even rain..?

• Shaders

Parralax, displacement or even tesselation?

Wetness attribute to material shaders

• Reflections

Dual hemisphere reflections or similar (same boat as multiple shadows I guess, with having to draw the world several times)

Screen space reflections (might be a bit hacky, but looks good on certain things, like water and puddles in combination with fresnel and a reflection box for off-angles)

Sorry if you can't answer yet, I'm just really curious.

Thank you!

Dynamic shadows are being worked on, as far as I'm aware.

Parallax exists already.

I imagine that reflections will be included for water, but I wouldn't expect to see real-time reflections on any other surfaces. Can't back that up, though.

Hi

i didn't read all of the Dev blogs so i propably missed it. But i've read about the Enfusion Engine while searching for Information about the development state of the RV3 Engine in DayZ.
I was conserned about server performance in DayZ because i only read about new features in the Blog and as i know they used a very similar Engine to the Arma 3 engine which is not optimized as well. (Just play King of the Hill and you know what i mean ...) 
So I was afraid if it's still crappy in the future compared with Arma 3's multiplayer performance.

But then I read about Enfusion and all Hope came back. So is it still on RV3 Engine and when will it get ported to Enfusion?

Enfusion is the name for the engine that is being built around dayz standalone. It isnt being ported like you imagine. Technically dayz has been running on enfusion for months now.

• Like 1

Im sorry to tell you, that you have misunderstood the information given :)

We already have Enfusion, we have had it from the very beginning and that is what they have spend most of they're time on, so far. We have recieved a decend amount of content already, but alot of stuff have been done "under the hood", on the newly forming engine. The whole purpose of making DayZ Standalone, was to overcome the limitation of the Real Virtuality engine, which the mod was based on.

So they took bits a pieces from the RV engine, both from Arma II, Take On Helicopters and i heard abit from Arma III aswell, and slapped it together, into a giant mess basicly hehe.

From this "mess", they started creating the game we are playing. First came the "network bubble", before release, then came interior in the houses we could not enter from Arma II and so on and so on.

So basicly you are already playing on the Enfusion Engine, its being created as we speak, and have been from the very beginning.

The reason they mentioned a "new engine", is because the end result will be a looooong distance from the original RV concept, most people are familiar with theese days.

This is the reason we dont have vehicles, advanced mechanics (such as proper animal/zombie AI and pathfinding or vehicles) and some other stuff, that might have already been in the RV engine. They want to create most of it, from scratch, to serve a very different purpose, then the engine was ever ment to do :)

So in essence, we only have an empty shell right now, Bohemia needs to stuff it full of goodies.

I hope this sheds some light on the case for you mate.

Edited by Byrgesen
  • Like 9