qww

scoped fov locked, normal fov adjustable

seen another topic talking about remove fov(????), but i dont like that solution at all, i think this solution is fair for all.

scoped or iron sights fov locked, normal fov adjustable (as it is now), cheers.

• Like 7

Doesn't really need that much adjustability...offering a "1° fov" is quite stupid since normal fov is around 75° in most games and are usually increased and not decreased/abused showing you really have to give players limitations.

Doesn't really need that much adjustability...offering a "1° fov" is quite stupid since normal fov is around 75° in most games and are usually increased and not decreased/abused showing you really have to give players limitations.

what? fov is already adjustable in game.

the topic is about locking fov while in scoped or iron sights view, not sure if you got that.

what? fov is already adjustable in game.

the topic is about locking fov while in scoped or iron sights view, not sure if you got that.

And that#s what i'm pointing out that it shouldn't be like that if you "got that".

Agreed. I also posted about this in the thread you mentioned.

And that#s what i'm pointing out that it shouldn't be like that if you "got that".

yes i did underdtand your reply, which is why i said that thats not what teh topic is about.

i think fov should be adjustable, just as it is now. i cant see any reason why everyone should be forced to use the same fov setting, or forced to change it while out of the game.

the topic is  about a suggestion that scoped or iron sights fov should not be adjustable in game, or out of game. everyone should see the same fov, when looking down sights.

edit later>>> actually forget that, i guess its fair enough of you mention that you dont want adjustable fov in game, at all,  since i do actually mention that in the title,  i just dont see that adjustable non-scoped/sighted fov is an advantage, because anyone can choose whatever they feel comfortable with, ive said before that i would prefer to use a higher fov than i currently use, because its less of a tunnel vision and claustrophobia experience and more of a natural wider view with higher fov, but the scope zoom penalty is too much of a disadvantage.

Edited by qww

yes i did underdtand your reply, which is why i said that thats not what teh topic is about.

i think fov should be adjustable, just as it is now. i cant see any reason why everyone should be forced to use the same fov setting, or forced to change it while out of the game.

the topic is  about a suggestion that scoped or iron sights fov should not be adjustable in game, or out of game. everyone should see the same fov, when looking down sights.

edit later>>> actually forget that, i guess its fair enough of you mention that you dont want adjustable fov in game, at all,  since i do actually mention that in the title,  i just dont see that adjustable non-scoped/sighted fov is an advantage, because anyone can choose whatever they feel comfortable with, ive said before that i would prefer to use a higher fov than i currently use, because its less of a tunnel vision and claustrophobia experience and more of a natural wider view with higher fov, but the scope zoom penalty is too much of a disadvantage.

I didn't say that i don't want adjustable fov at all. Some say just edit your config according to the tutorials ( which people should be capable of ) because then you can't just change it on the fly and abuse it as people do now. And what i meant by 1° fov is you usually don't alter your fov to be that narrow or narrower than normal since as i said the standard fov in games is about 75° or more ( most players prefer around 80-85° in shooters ). You could of course have the game either restart or go back to the main menu ( pulling the player out of the server to prevent abuse ) so they won't/can't use the fov slider for "sniping" because you usually only have to make one or two adjustments to get your preferred fov which would annoy them because they can't do their on the fly sniping anymore and they would be the only ones to start a whining thread about the fov slider/restart/main menu problem in this case.

Edited by Enforcer

its only when looking down sights that fov can be abused so locking it is surely perfect solution, i dont see a need to stop people adjusting fov(not scoped) while in game,

Below 90FOV some people get motion sickness etc. So locking the FOV will make the game unplayable for some people and so we NEED to be able to adjust it. I personally use a FOV of 100 in most games and any lower or higher(+or-20 depending on the game) I don't get motion sickness but I do not feel comfortable playing with these FOVs.

Edited by Jack456Z

Below 90FOV some people get motion sickness etc. So locking the FOV will make the game unplayable for some people and so we NEED to be able to adjust it. I personally use a FOV of 100 in most games and any lower or higher(+or-20 depending on the game) I don't get motion sickness but I do not feel comfortable playing with these FOVs.

the thread is suggesting leaving fov as it is now, (adjustable in game) and locking fov for "down the sights view" only.

I noticed you can't lock your FOV with numpad - and + either, while you have a scope.

E: Is that what the thread was about, or that scopes now don't change their zoom with FOV? I'm confused

Edited by Sutinen

I noticed you can't lock your FOV with numpad - and + either, while you have a scope.

E: Is that what the thread was about, or that scopes now don't change their zoom with FOV? I'm confused

This is about that the FoV shouldn't affect aimed view. So no matter if you've 50 or 100 FoV the scoped view is always with the same zoom. Currently you can change the zoom when you change the FoV.

• Like 1

I don't understand why we need fov at all. I have never set that in any game I played. I would just lock that on default value.

I don't understand why we need fov at all. I have never set that in any game I played. I would just lock that on default value.

Low FOV can give some people motion sicknesses and is a general preference that should be available in all PC titles.

Some people like it at 70, others 90, others - like me - 120.

• Like 2

Low FOV can give some people motion sicknesses and is a general preference that should be available in all PC titles.

Some people like it at 70, others 90, others - like me - 120.

That's interesting it may be reason my head is spinning after playing Battlefield 3 for long time.

That's interesting it may be reason my head is spinning after playing Battlefield 3 for long time.

It might be. What is the FOV set in BF3? If it is low, by default, and you haven't adjusted it, that would explain the motion sickness. Is your view very narrow, like, say, tunnel vision in game?

It might be. What is the FOV set in BF3? If it is low, by default, and you haven't adjusted it, that would explain the motion sickness. Is your view very narrow, like, say, tunnel vision in game?

If I remember correctly the default for BF3 and games like it(COD etc) is normally around 60(give or take 10) which is tiny for me with my monitor (24" and around 30-40cm away from my eyes) I get headaches and eyestrain very fast(within 20 mins) and so as soon as I get a game that is first person I try to get the FOV to 100 before playing because this is my preferred FOV in most games and I do research before hand on a game to see if there is a FOV slider and if not and it's a stupid FOV like 60 I will not buy the game.

Edited by Jack456Z

Was gonna make a topic suggesting this, then I found this thread. To add a few points:

-adjustable FOV is when aiming is becoming a deliberate advantage and not a preference. There are plenty of videos all over youtube of people dropping their FOV all the way simply to magnify their view for easier headshots at a distance without using optics. In my opinion this is at least a mild exploit.

-scopes like the ACOG and PSO-1 cannot be reliable without a fixed FOV. Currently people must estimate where the FOV must be for those scopes to be zeroed and that is ridiculous. An appropriate FOV should be agreed on (likely somewhere in the middle), and then the scopes can be adjusted to fit the zero they should be holding. The entire point of having an ACOG or PSO-1 is the ability to engage targets at various distances without altering your weapons set range. Since FOV affects scopes, that cannot happen and makes using them far more trouble than appropriate.

+1

Would also be interesting if they made it impossible to adjust FOV and similar things without restarting the game. Can't really see the benefit of being able to adjust your FOV on the go (legitimate, at least). Like, you change the FOV, brightness or Gamma ingame and it shows the changes while in the menu, but you then need to restart the game for them to take effect outside of this preview.

If anybody has any reasons you should be able to adjust your FOV on the fly though, I'd genuinely like to know them.

Edited by Beizs

So many benefits from locking in the FOV when scoped in.

The most important one however is it allows ranging reticles on magnified binos and scopes to actually function.

• Like 1

So many benefits from locking in the FOV when scoped in.

The most important one however is it allows ranging reticles on magnified binos and scopes to actually function.

Will be nice when we can use mildots properly, eh?

YES PLEASE! this would be so good! A fixed fov for aiming would help a lot, no more changing the fov so i can see further. The same amount of zoom for everyone!

i havent been on forums for ages, but its good to see that some people still think thsi is a useful idea.
surely this has to be in the game, it is the correct way to do it,

any dev can respond possibly? will we see this much needed feature added to teh game ? sooner woudl be better, since it directly affects gameplay, how players an use the scope properly, aswell as removing the "super zoom style" with lrs

cheers.

any dev can respond possibly? will we see this much needed feature added to teh game ? sooner woudl be better, since it directly affects gameplay, how players an use the scope properly, aswell as removing the "super zoom style" with lrs

Ironically the "super zoom" you are talking about is exactly how much the LRS actually should magnify...