30km Walkie Range.. 

Edited by lrish

That's quite the distance. Could make for some fun times, especially as sniper overlooking towns.

That's quite the distance. Could make for some fun times, especially as sniper overlooking towns.

It will replace the old sidetext/chat system that was global in the DayZ mod.. and I cannot wait for it. Going to be amazing to sit there talking to people asking what its like at NEAF and where a heli crash was spotted, snipers, etc.. I cannot wait. Finally people can call out for medical help, and ambush each other.. so good. 

• Like 3

I like that! Looking forward to eavesdropping on the radio :-D.

this sounds awesome, if people actually start using them because of it 8)

this sounds awesome, if people actually start using them because of it 8)

I always use it. Fuck dat teamspeak.

All we need now are known and accepted frequencies we can use so as to broadcast emergencies etc.

Of course these frequencies could be used/scanned by bandits, but you get that!

• Like 2

All we need now are known and accepted frequencies we can use so as to broadcast emergencies etc.

Of course these frequencies could be used/scanned by bandits, but you get that!

It would be nice to have local (500m-1km) sub channels included, so you could have private conversations amongst clan members and have it still not be quite private.. the savvy user could be close and listening in. :)

Edited by lrish
  • Like 1

They should just look up the specifications for whatever brand of walkie-talkie they've chosen and put that in as the maximum range...

• Like 2

They should just look up the specifications for whatever brand of walkie-talkie they've chosen and put that in as the maximum range...

8km

walkie-talkie_2_pack_5.jpg

WalkieTalkie.png

Edited by lrish

So pretty much the whole map.

Well, isn't it actually the whole map then? I was under the impression of the map being 15 by 15 km, meaning 21,2 as the furthest distance. Right?

Edit: asfgdæohahaæpougahs

Edited by gqren
  • Like 4

Hopefully they've included different power output settings for people who don't want to transmit over 2 kms.

Nice 30 km is great! Does anyone know if the signal is frequency or amplitude modulated? If it's FM we don't need to transmit shit in morse code all the time to get a quality signal.

Edited by Vitdom

i welcome this!

walkie talkie one of my favourite itmes!

i will test this after work!

but my toon is still stuck in the Office building.   i joined a sevrer before goijn to work today.  maybe he is dead til the evening!  than i can get back to testing!

Edited by brumey
  • Like 1

Word?

Until they make them a bit more common, I doubt I'll use it.

Glad to know they're integrating side-chat as an ability that has to be acquired in-game, vice just given to the players regardless of their status in-game.

I would like to see them be persistent (whenever persistent items get implemented) and actually be able to pick up sounds in proximity like was said way back.

"Keep in mind, this is just placeholder behavior - while we test out the mechanic. The walkie talkie item itself should only cover about 3km. If we went with this, we'd need to create a 2meter or similar handheld."

• Like 2

UCOM T628 - line of sight 8km max

but, screw that,  a 'radio sidechannel' will advance the game a lot IMO

30km excellent!

Edited by pilgrim

Any word on the ingame radios? I mean appart from the walkie talkies. The internet streaming ones that can be heard server wide. I remember them being mentioned in some devblog but can't be bothered to look it up.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

great news, hope they also extended battery life times 100 as well so you can just leave them on all the time..

edit : on second thoughts maybe times 24..

Edited by Calibre
  • Like 1

but, screw that,  a 'radio sidechannel' will advance the game a lot IMO

Never screw walkie talkie realism my friend!

"Keep in mind, this is just placeholder behavior - while we test out the mechanic. The walkie talkie item itself should only cover about 3km. If we went with this, we'd need to create a 2meter or similar handheld."

This is good.

I don't see the point of 30 km range. If that is the radius, that covers the entire map from almost any location, that is an area of over 2800 km2. If they were making it 30 km, why make a range limit at all? Just give it infinite range.

Good to hear it is just a placeholder.

Never screw walkie talkie realism my friend!

..//..I don't see the point of 30 km range. //..

Good to hear it is just a placeholder.

I take it you are one of the players who never uses TeamSpeak ingame.

I don't use teamspeak, myself.