Ozelot (DayZ)

Isn't "DayZ" quite possibly the dumbest name ever?

They should have called it ZombieZ, because, you know, zombies.

Or maybe BanditZ.

Or HackerZ.

Yeah man, what kind of weenie just takes a word, throws a Z on it and calls it a name? I'm with Ozelot on this one.

Except that that is the Norwegian spelling of the word. Look up "ozelot" on the Google and you will find many results for jungle cats in Swedish language.

"Day" "Z" is just something noone thought about when they wrote it.

Edited by Ozelot

Except that that is the Norwegian spelling of the word.

Well, it was probably just a placeholder that was never replaced and now has to be stuck with for the sake of brand recognition.

Hello there

Google? wtf? 

Why would anyone want to use a Search engine with a name like that?

Name isn't an issue. And you'v been around long enough to know its derivation and what the devs think of it.

In case you missed it, youve also been around long enough to know where to find the said info.

Rgds

LoK

Are you telling a feline to do actual work?

You know I am lazy, Orlok.

The mod's fame is probably why they kept it, why would you discard an already popular brand name?

+1

Except that that is the Norwegian spelling of the word. Look up "ozelot" on the Google and you will find many results for jungle cats in Swedish language.

Or maybe he really wanted to name the game DayZ. Who are you to say it was never really thought about?

• Like 1

The only thing wrong with the name DayZ, is that together it sounds like some 15 year old "wigger" who is posting something on Facebook and he replaces every "S" with a "Z" to come off hip and cool. 

But yeah, I wouldn't really give a shit what the game was called, as long as it was fun and kept me entertained, which this game does.

Seriously, who came up with that? You cannot blame "Alpha" on this one. It doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with zombies or even is named after a cool zombie movie. No, it is just the word "Day" and then the letter Z at the end. Boooooring.

I mean, when they went standalone was there seriously no thought at all being given to this one simple truth? They could not have thought up something cool instead of something that sounds like a fourteen year old boy's afterthought while naming his livejournal account...?

Personally, I don't know why anyone would have wanted to buy a game named just "DayZ" if it hadn't been for the mod's fame. It does not sound intimidating or even unique. I really really want to know why no one up to this point ever noticed it and pointed it out. Was it Dean Hall that came up with the name? I am really confused and would like to know the process behind how the name came out. It seems rather ridiculous to me.

Yes the name is sooooo horrible that another company decided to rip it off for thier own game.....

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”- Leonardo da Vinci

yeah but he had a complicated name.

dont try using your facts on me. you can prove anything with facts,..

• Like 3

• Like 2

“Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.”- Leonardo da Vinci

Da Vinci never said that.

You're right. He probably said it in 15th century Italian.

DayZ is fine. It's no worse than most other videogame titles..

• Like 1

yeah but he had a complicated name.

dont try using your facts on me. you can prove anything with facts,..

resized_joseph-ducreux-meme-generator-so

• Like 1

Seriously, who came up with that? You cannot blame "Alpha" on this one. It doesn't even sound like it has anything to do with zombies or even is named after a cool zombie movie. No, it is just the word "Day" and then the letter Z at the end. Boooooring.

I mean, when they went standalone was there seriously no thought at all being given to this one simple truth? They could not have thought up something cool instead of something that sounds like a fourteen year old boy's afterthought while naming his livejournal account...?

Personally, I don't know why anyone would have wanted to buy a game named just "DayZ" if it hadn't been for the mod's fame. It does not sound intimidating or even unique. I really really want to know why no one up to this point ever noticed it and pointed it out. Was it Dean Hall that came up with the name? I am really confused and would like to know the process behind how the name came out. It seems rather ridiculous to me.

Not sure if you're being serious or not. But are you pronouncing is "dayz" as in "days" or "DayZ" as in "Day-Z"? The letter Z is sometimes thought of as the number zero. Meaning after the world went to crap, we started with DayZ or, Day 0.

I dunno, and I don't really care because I personally like the name and think it's become a trademark name in the zombie fan world.

Edited by BlazeMcNight

I think ozelot is mad, because she found out that DayZ is not pronounced "days" or "Day-Zed" but Day-zee, like Daisey, what in fact is ozelots real name. Case closed.

• Like 2

Dean said a while back that it was a play on D-day. Makes sense to me.

Dean said a while back that it was a play on D-day. Makes sense to me.

Except theres no tanks or thousands of ppl dying on a beach as well as tones of military loot lying around. Wheres my damn Springfield and Sherman Tank?!!!

Except theres no tanks or thousands of ppl dying on a beach as well as tones of military loot lying around. Wheres my damn Springfield and Sherman Tank?!!!

Back in Normandy waiting to be transported to Cherno Russia.

Back in Normandy waiting to be transported to Cherno Russia.

Yeah but those Springfield rifles were a common gun for US troops in Normandy lol. Actually I wouldn't be surprised if we get that one in the future or the MK2/3. Those are all really nice rifles.

Edited by Deathlove

DayZ is actually quite clever and so am I, because I understand why.

• Like 3

DayZ is actually quite clever and so am I, because I understand why.

Your also a Tier 2 cheerleader don't forget! :P

• Like 1

Correct!

http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Simplicity:

"Anselm", The Recognitions (1955) by William Gaddis, p. 457; "Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" was also used as an early slogan at Apple Computer in 1977 (introduction of the Apple II personal computer), and has also been attributed to Leonardo Da Vinci, but no published occurrence of such an attribution has yet been located prior to one in Wisdom Through the Ages : Book Two (2003) by Helen Granat, p. 225.

Edited by DJPorterNZ
  • Like 1