Kushko

Took a break ~3months ago, came back today and...

...not only has the game not gotten any better (bugs and performance wise) but it has gotten worse. I am fully aware the game is in early access and i have no problem with that. My friend and i took a break 3months ago because the game was quite enjoyable but the overall performance and polish was lacking, so we decided to give it some time and try again later. That later was today.

When we finally got in to a server (after a couple failed attempts on different servers) the first one we got on was unplayable because of lag (even though we were picking low ping servers), so we go in search of another server. Find a new one, working ok for me but my friend cant interact with any objects after 20minutes and a relog (he even had steam check his install if any files were corrupt). Finally around the third relog and switching to another server a glitched and invisible (to him) zombie killed him before i got there (i was checking loot around while he was fixing his problem-or trying to). Earlier a third friend glitched himself off a ladder and fell to his death...how does that still happen after all this time? Half the items in my backpack dont have icons anymore and the only way i can tell something is actually there is by the slightly darker shade of gray or by mousing over it. Oh and for some reason you literary cant outrun zombies anymore, even at full sprint as a fresh spawn they keep up and somehow manage to hit you on the move... I could go on, but i think i made my point. *edit* Just to add; all 3 of us have high end machines and broadband/fiber-optic connections with reliable providers so none of the problems originated on our end.

How has the game not improved at all in the 3months? Granted we got some new items which mean absolutely nothing if the game is borderline unplayable to actually use/enjoy those items.

Every time i check up on dayz theres talk about how they're putting in animals and cooking and all the great things none of us will get to enjoy until fix the games core problems, it just kills my excitement about the game (the little that is left at this point).

I want to love this game, i know it has amazing potential, but when theres little to no progress or even some regress in all the places that matter its just starting to be impossible to keep faith in the game and the team making it. Enough time has passed for them to have no more excuses left for this game feeling like it was made in a garage by a couple people having their first go at game development. For gods sake, this is a high profile, high budget ($40+mil from early access sales alone) game. It should not be in the state it is.

Edited by Kushko
  • Like 13

haha I knew what you were gonna say before I even opened the thread.

ahaha

• Like 26

There has been a colossal amount of progress. Perhaps you should read a little more before you post.  :thumbsup:

• Like 6

If you are unhappy with the game nobody here is keeping you playing. So kindly shut the door on your way out.

• Like 2

If you want to see in game features and stuff all in, wait till beta at least. There is a lot of "under the hood" work going on atm. To name a couple of things...

Guaranteed Network Messaging

64 bit servers

Pulling renderer to upgrade to DX10 or DX11

At this stage it seems they really are trying to make a very good base to build on. Still adding things as they go, which is good. When all that's done I expect we will see more gameplay features go in, atm its all core work :)

Edited by Karmaterror
  • Like 1

I think you need to do a bit more research as to what has been added in the past 3 to 4 months. Although definitely not perfect, the alpha plays better than it did when it was first released.

Also have a read Here maybe it will give you some insight.

Greetings, there is a pinned topic above you http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6794-i-give-up-this-game-is-bull-i-want-my-money-back/ to rant on said distaste. 

Regards,

Steak.

I would post there if i actually gave up, thought the game was bullshit or wanted my money back. But since i dont feel like any of the mentioned, i decided to make my own post for my own opinion.

I'm not just randomly raging and i still fully plan on spending more time in the game once it gets on its way, but i felt like expressing my disappointment with the progress that has been made on the core gameplay (not the lack of items or new towns or anything like that, but the actual performance/stability and glitch/bug fixing).

• Like 2

but the actual performance/stability and glitch/bug fixing.

Hence my post. Now off you go and get educated on what's been added. Not knowing and posting doesn't do you any good really.

haha I knew what you were gonna say before I even opened the thread.

ahaha

I had my money on Global ban...*pays gibonez a can of beans and 2 boxes of 7.62x51*

• Like 1

Greetings, there is a pinned topic above you http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/6794-i-give-up-this-game-is-bull-i-want-my-money-back/ to rant on said distaste. 

Regards,

Steak.

Does not qualify for such a measure.

He does not throw in the towel, ask for money back or call the game a POS.

The pinned Topic title and it's purpose that you suggest are quite precise and should not be confused with a common or garden rant.

• Like 1

i do get that the op is not trying to just rage about the game, but all the things that seem to have happened to you and your friends today, are things that dont happen that often in my experience, it seems unlucky that they all happened today, the fish cans are currently  invisible until you open them, and it is unlucky when you get on server that lags out and stops you interacting with anything, but in general i dont have problems that spoil my enjoyment.i dont take it too s4eriously when problems occur because we are still testing, i play for hours without any issues often, and im still totally positive about the future of the game, while i never expect it to be perfect

My main issue with it is the performance issues. Yes it's alpha, yes optimization is not a priority yet, but seriously!? freeze frames at times. really annoying when your FPS pegs to 0 for a second and then you get hit.

when SA first went live i played on a much lower quality system (barely minimal specs) and got 10-20 FPS was the limit in a town, it was atleast somewhat consistent. now its like freeze frame stutters. IDK if its the zombie spawns being triggered or what?

Server issues greately effecting frame rate and even causing these freeze frame "stutters" has always been somewhat of an issue with arma,  but in the SA it seems to happen with little to no rhyme or reason.

He's entitled to an opinion you know bro's!!

You're all acting like his words written on the internet should offend you IRL.

On the payroll maybe? lol.

I too had a break for a while, now I have an axe that doesn't work anymore, magical z's that can hit me from ten feet away and a 1911 with a backwards magazine. Don't forget the flat caps and trackies btw.

Great game still. but not great progress in my eyes.

#inb4thebohemiabottomfeeders

You should have waited till the end of May. By that time we should have campfires, bows, maybe some hunting, some more tactical clothing and devs know what else (oh the new big town up north too!).

I am fully aware the game is in early access

it's not early access, it's an open alpha

and even if you meant that, i don't think you are aware at all what that means

software developement does not work like building a house, it doesn't get gradually better until it's finished,

there are leaps of quality, both up and down during the developement time,

because (don't get shocked by that one) things actually need to be tested in an alpha,

tested if they are good, bad, performance, server-client stuff etc.

gaming quality and developement time have no proportional behavior

Edited by Zombo

He's entitled to an opinion you know bro's!!

You're all acting like his words written on the internet should offend you IRL.

On the payroll maybe? lol.

I too had a break for a while, now I have an axe that doesn't work anymore, magical z's that can hit me from ten feet away and a 1911 with a backwards magazine. Don't forget the flat caps and trackies btw.

Great game still. but not great progress in my eyes.

#inb4thebohemiabottomfeeders

Are you aware that you have to press spacebar to raise melee weapons in order to use them? Been like this for quite some time now.

-snip-

Just a helpful heads up, when me and my girlfriend were first starting to try out DayZ we both had the issues you describe for your friend. Both of us in the same house connecting to the same server; we'd both have beyond irritating issues with invisible zombies; sometimes it'd work fine for a bit, then get the yellow/red chains; sometimes be fine, then be unable to sort our backpacks or pick up items and it'd never be BOTH of us at the same time, no that'd be to helpful in narrowing things down given we both have very similar systems; half the time it was just one of us and not the other, I started tweaking with things and found a solution where I didn't have any issues - but she did.. had her test it and.. poof.. DayZ became major-issue free. 

For one she had to reinstall BE manually, I don't know why, she installed DayZ at the same time as I did, right beside me, just as I did but STILL had an issue for no apparent reason that'd BE would kick her off a server every 2-5 minutes; but the tech forums show you how to manually reinstall it.

The Desync, invisible zombies, unable to pick up items, all of it: all involved simply putting my firewall in game mode : DO NOT ASK ME WHY! -_- I still don't want to think about it; in any case making firewall exceptions - disabling the firewall (yes your reading that right.. my firewall which isn't an all to uncommon one put in game mode DayZ is my friend, disable my firewall and it's eager to piss me off all over again.. see why it gave me a headache? Mostly with the firewall, but still, headache.), antivirus, none of that helped, but holy hell game mode worked! In any case my 'literal' recommendation is if experiencing lag-related issues like you describe with invisible zombies and unable to pick up or sort items; start by making sure your(/his) firewall has a DayZ and BE exception made so it's not blocked, doesn't work - disable your firewall and retest, set it to game mode and retest, uninstall the firewall altogether for a short testing period and try again. I would say try it with the antivirus too, but stick to just setting block exceptions to be safe. 

Anyway' best of luck. It's not ideal anyone has to do this, may not even resolve the problem; but it's worth a try and not to time consuming.

Also, the tech section of the forums may prove helpful. For what it's worth.

Edited by AzrailCross

To be fair, if I came back from any other alpha testing after a 3 month hiatus like the OP and saw DayZ SA 3 months ago with DayZ SA today, I would be worried as well.

It is a bit odd that so many in this thread seem to try to give the impression that some items, a couple of buildings and zombies teleporting in from the orbiting mothership, constitutes as "a lot of progress" for 3 months for a game where the early access sales alone number over 2 million now.

Speaking from a purely gameplay standpoint, the game has had no substantive additions in the time OP has been away.

I want to love this game, i know it has amazing potential, but when theres little to no progress or even some regress in all the places that matter its just starting to be impossible to keep faith in the game and the team making it. Enough time has passed for them to have no more excuses left for this game feeling like it was made in a garage by a couple people having their first go at game development. For gods sake, this is a high profile, high budget ($40+mil from early access sales alone) game. It should not be in the state it is.

To give the OP a purely speculative answer to his question;

The problem (as I theorize atleast) is because the sales money is not being reinvested into the game. The development team has most likely only been marginally enlarged since DaZ SA went on early access sale. Thus, the production speed is not what would be considered "normal" for a box office smash.

Which, to be brutally honest, makes total sense from a purely fiscal standpoint.

Why should the people that have benefited from the extreme amount of sales wish to reinvest the profit they already have in the bank, on a product that has thouroghly saturated its market?

It would be all risk with possible no reward. They do not stand to gain financially from getting the game finalized quicker. For all intents and purposes it as already been "released".

I would probably do as they are (theoretically) doing right now. Keeping the team relatively the same size and doing some public relations control if the issue crops up a little to much publicly.

Now, do not take this as I am postulating that they are "taking the money and running". I do not believe that they are.

But I would not be surprised if the pace continued at its current speed for the rest of the development, be you of the "its to slow camp" or "its fine" camp.

• Like 2

To be fair, if I came back from any other alpha testing after a 3 month hiatus like the OP and saw DayZ SA 3 months ago with DayZ SA today, I would be worried as well.

It is a bit odd that so many in this thread seem to try to give the impression that some items, a couple of buildings and zombies teleporting in from the orbiting mothership, constitutes as "a lot of progress" for 3 months for a game where the early access sales alone number over 2 million now.

Speaking from a purely gameplay standpoint, the game has had no substantive additions in the time OP has been away.

To give the OP a purely speculative answer to his question;

The problem (as I theorize atleast) is because the sales money is not being reinvested into the game. The development team has most likely only been marginally enlarged since DaZ SA went on early access sale. Thus, the production speed is not what would be considered "normal" for a box office smash.

Which, to be brutally honest, makes total sense from a purely fiscal standpoint.

Why should the people that have benefited from the extreme amount of sales wish to reinvest the profit they already have in the bank, on a product that has thouroghly saturated its market?

It would be all risk with possible no reward. They do not stand to gain financially from getting the game finalized quicker. For all intents and purposes it as already been "released".

I would probably do as they are (theoretically) doing right now. Keeping the team relatively the same size and doing some public relations control if the issue crops up a little to much publicly.

Now, do not take this as I am postulating that they are "taking the money and running". I do not believe that they are.

But I would not be surprised if the pace continued at its current speed for the rest of the development, be you of the "its to slow camp" or "its fine" camp.

They did double the studio size, well, bought a new studio anyway I can't remember it's size. Regardless though we aren't alpha testing this game, that's pretty much conclusive, we're just playing DayZ barebones while BI internal testers are alpha testing; the actual alpha build isn't even currently on Expermental: the alpha is hidden on BI's hive with internal testers, what we currently have are what the internal testers have given the thumbs up to being fairly bug free for releasing.

They've already said in dev logs they've fixed the zombie pathfinding with navmesh and it's just being finalized at this point (or something very similar to that) just as a prime example. We aren't getting true alpha builds or at least that's not how I'm left seeing it: what BI has on their internal servers would probably astound us, but also, crash the hell out of us every fifteen minutes because none of it is really ready for the masses to get a glimpse of; for fear of those who really don't comprehend alpha screaming out all the more negatively about the game. From a PR standpoint.. best move they can make, I wouldn't trust the majority to really grasp a true alpha build and accept the constant instability and unpredictably that comes with it while it's being worked on. (Which would easily be leaps and bounds worse than what we have currently, particularly during actual testing phases of new code.)

Edited by AzrailCross

Does not qualify for such a measure.

He does not throw in the towel, ask for money back or call the game a POS.

The pinned Topic title and it's purpose that you suggest are quite precise and should not be confused with a common or garden rant.

I will bean you in the next 24 quota reached on him for not giving up.

...not only has the game not gotten any better (bugs and performance wise) but it has gotten worse. 

come back after another 3 months or even 6. For some people game doesnt work as it should no mather how good PC they have. I have 5 years old PC (only upgraded GPU from AMD Radeon HD4800 to GTX 650) and game in last 2 weeks runs better than ever. My FPS doubled. But on some servers I have ruberbanding, on other day I have desync so bad I cant open any doors. Its just alpha, and it wont work fine for at least 6 months. Either we accept that or dont play untill then. I still think it was good idea to release early acces of dayz, because it is game and dev team where comunity actualy participates in develepment. (I bothered Torchia to add track suites, and after 2 months we get track suites!! I doubt it was only my idea, but still makes you feel like good)