Sign in to follow this  
cartire

Highlight/Identify items easier

I completely understand the imersion aspect, and the limited to nil hud.  But this is still a game, and because of that is still limited to the amount of realism it can actually display.  Depending on graphics settings or just the overall ability of the game, some items are more difficult to spot then they would really be in real life.  Because of this limitation, I suggest a very slight highlight, or possibly, better shadowing to help better identify actual objects on the ground and furniture. 

I completely understand the reasons to not want to highlight loot, but it sometimes removes me "more" from the imersion when i am trying to figure out if something is grabbable and something is just part texture or bump mapping. 

DayZ tries its best to emphasize realism.

Glowing batteries and soda is not realistic

• Like 2

No thanks

• Like 2

DayZ tries its best to emphasize realism.

Glowing batteries and soda is not realistic

I get that.  But nor is half the textures realistic.  With the inability to make a completely plyable artifical reality, where everything can be grabbed, moved, altered, we have to compensate. 

You cant claim realism, and then have a trashcan next to me that i cant move, manipulate, take the cover off of. 

I understand the limitations of our technology and the concepts i claim.  But, we are being impaired more in the game then we would in real life due to the limitations.  Compensation is the only median.  And i dont nessacarly want them to glow if it could be avoided.  Like i said, more detailed shading could help.  All though i have no clue the feasibilty of this. 

Edited by cartire

I get that.  But nor is half the textures realistic.  With the inability to make a completely plyable artifical reality, where everything can be grabbed, moved, altered, we have to compensate. 

Yeah, but why compensate on something that works just fine?

I like the idea, but only highlight them in inventory/interact mode to replace the "items near by" box when you hit tab. Clear out the centre of the inventory screen so you can see highlighted items in the world, pick them up and drag them to your inventory that is arranged at the edges of the screen.

Edited by Five_Seven_Clown

The only time highlighting would be justified is when you are directly interacting with an object as in aiming at it when very close. Right now we got a text in the center of the screen that in the end is just as unrealistic. It might help differentiate between similar objects. And in this case it should be very slight, require you to be in interaction range and to aim at the object in question.

Highlighting as a means to find items - no way. Hidden items are a good thing.

Edited by Evil Minion

check my the topic i just made with some illustrations.