Johnny_reb9

Trouble with racist names

We are currently see people with racist names on our server. We are asking them to change thier name, if they dont then was ask them to leave and if that doesnt work kick them from our server. Kicking them is a last resort, when we have had to do this sometimes they rejoin. Surely we should be allowed to ban these who are doing this.

• Like 1

There is no way to natively ban at the moment. There are supposedly 3rd party programs that allow it, but I don't have one- and not sure I would use it if I did.

Continue kicking, IMO. 

Maybe if you just kick them right away with no warning, and keep doing it, they'll tire of it and go away?

Edited by Max Planck
  • Like 6

There is some way to make a filter of names you can't use. I've seen people getting kicked because of their name.

• Like 1

Yes if you follow Max Planck's suggestion they will probably go away, they are wasting much more of their own time than yours

Otherwise:

There is no method to ban a player from one server, according to your server lease agreement

So you may want to research how a racist player can be banned from the game itself

Steam hold the player accounts, and they have an anti-racist policy. Perhaps it will be worthwhile to ask their advice.

• Like 4

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but... who cares? Why does it matter if someone has a racist name? By giving them attention, you're doing exactly what they want. In DayZ, you very rarely even see people's names, and I can honestly say I remember maybe one or two names out of the thousands I've seen. Why are you paying any attention to what people call themselves?

• Like 2

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but... who cares? Why does it matter if someone has a racist name? By giving them attention, you're doing exactly what they want. In DayZ, you very rarely even see people's names, and I can honestly say I remember maybe one or two names out of the thousands I've seen. Why are you paying any attention to what people call themselves?

who cares? I do. I dont associate with racists IRL and am damn sure not going to game with them.

• Like 11

There is some way to make a filter of names you can't use. I've seen people getting kicked because of their name.

If we had access to BEC on the server it would be ezmode, but thats one of the things that GSPs seem reluctant to allow us access to.

who cares? I do. I dont associate with racists IRL and am damn sure not going to game with them.

lol, the internet is full of racists. I'm certain you have played with plenty without knowing.

To the OP, who cares what someone's name is. People need to stop being so gosh darn sensitive and fast to limit freedom of speech and similar things.

• Like 2

So, a guy named N-word Jim offends you? Really? 

It's the internet, get over it really. "BUT I'M OFFENDED FOR OTHER PEOPLE."

They should get over it too. You won't and can't limit what people will call themselves on the internet, especially where there is anonymity. Just get a thicker skin and point your nose up because you're above them, that's about it.

• Like 1

lol, the internet is full of racists. I'm certain you have played with plenty without knowing.

To the OP, who cares what someone's name is. People need to stop being so gosh darn sensitive and fast to limit freedom of speech and similar things.

Im sure I have and if they keep it to themselves I wont know

thus no kick. Can you show me exactly where this freedom

of speech is guaranteed on a gaming server owned by a private individual?

Thats like someone being in your house spouting racist crap and you not

being able to tell them to GTFO  because of it.

• Like 5

Maybe if you just kick them right away with no warning, and keep doing it, they'll tire of it and go away?

This is DayZ's anti racism policy? 

Im sure I have and if they keep it to themselves I wont know

thus no kick. Can you show me exactly where this freedom

of speech is guaranteed on a gaming server owned by a private individual?

Thats like someone being in your house spouting racist crap and you not

being able to tell them to GTFO  because of it.

As I'm not a server owner I have not bothered to read the rules for hosting. But I do know that servers on the Public Hive must all follow the same rules. So unless the rules clearly state that people with racist names are not allowed to play DayZ, I do not see why they need to be kicked. If this was on a Private Hive then I would not care who was kicked or for what reason.

Also, regarding freedom of speech, that is just something I see as something all people should strive for.

They should get over it too. You won't and can't limit what people will call themselves on the internet, especially where there is anonymity. Just get a thicker skin and point your nose up because you're above them, that's about it.

Why welcome racists on your servers, when you don't have too?

You may perform the following actions on your server :

• Restart server
  • Kick abusive players (harassment, cheating, exploiting bugs)
  • Like 3

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but... who cares? Why does it matter if someone has a racist name?

I care. I don't allow that on any of my servers, I will give reasons below, as it#s somewhat related.

The thing is not the word itself, it's how the people are using it and what they're trying to achieve with it. They know exactly what they're trying to do with it and it's nothing but them trying to offend other peoples. I am not giving them the room on my server and I will not give anyone the room on these forums for that. Anybody using that word knows exactly that it is offending and is using it for those exact reasons.

If we had access to BEC on the server it would be ezmode, but thats one of the things that GSPs seem reluctant to allow us access to.

That allows for too much abuse. If used the right way one can use that more effectively than kicking people off their clan servers.

• Like 11

Yes if you follow Max Planck's suggestion they will probably go away, they are wasting much more of their own time than yours

If only it worked on spambots...

Why does it matter if someone has a racist name? By giving them attention, you're doing exactly what they want.

I don't think 'getting kicked off the server they want to play on' is "exactly what they want".

You won't and can't limit what people will call themselves on the internet, especially where there is anonymity.

Yes he can, he can kick them off his server.

This is DayZ's anti racism policy? 

It's the best I can come up with off the top of my head.

You are allowed to kick for racist names you know, it's in the server rules.

Also, regarding freedom of speech, that is just something I see as something all people should strive for.

I think 'treating other people with decency and respect' is something all people should strive for.

• Like 14

That allows for too much abuse. If used the right way one can use that more effectively than kicking people off their clan servers.

Agreed- but abusive admins can have their servers removed.

As a non-badmin, it bothers me to not have access to it, but at the same time I am patient enough to wait until we are actually allowed access. As it is I rarely kick, and generally wont kick for racist/offensive names. I let the 12 year old shit disturbers have their fun for now because they WILL get bored and leave the community. In the future, however... one never knows.

• Like 1

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but... who cares? 

No! just NO! don't you ever just "casually" start to tolerate such things! NO!

• Like 7

No! just NO! don't you ever just "casually" start to tolerate such things! NO!

Yes. Yes! I do, and will continue to do. Getting offended over what people say and do on the internet is silly.

• Like 1

Yes. Yes! I do, and will continue to do. Getting offended over what people say and do on the internet is silly.

Congrats for the propagation of ignorance.

• Like 7

Hello there

This is why we dont tolerate the use  of the N word here. Its easy to ignore things. That way you dont have to get "involved".

Id rather stop these things or at least make people think about their actions. If I can get one out of a thousand to realise he is being offensive and ignorant then im happy.

The ignore it if "im" ok attitude isnt one I personally subscribe to.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 11

Being offended by some guy on the internet is stupid, but using offensive slangs even more so

i say no. cause even on the internet it is a valuable lesson to learn that you're not welcome if you use racial slurs.

• Like 1

Congrats for the propagation of ignorance.

Yep, I am allowing you to continue with yours, after all.