Johnny_reb9

Trouble with racist names

No its not, but its not that easy to control (on the internet in general).

That's no reason not to use the tools we do have at our disposal. A kick is quick and easy.

I was trying to say, that you just have to get used to some people being assholes, childish etc etc,

I am used to that. That does not mean I have to welcome it.

paying no attention to them is the best thing to do imo, since they are usually attention whores (at least the ones I have met)

Removing them from a server, or the forums as the case may be, means we don't have to pay attention to them at all.

It gets them less attention. Not more.

• Like 3

The original ten commandment stone tablets don't saying anything about server admins being allowed to kick racist assholes off their servers, does this mean that the DayZ server ruleset is an affront to God?

Yes.

• Like 1

A lot of argument and discussion, against and defending

But I notice no one has turned up here in public to say they use racist names on servers

• Like 4

But I notice no one has turned up here in public to say they use racist names on servers

I attribute that to them at heart being ashamed, knowing

its wrong,that they would catch a backlash if they did.

• Like 2

Some of my best friends are racists. 

like max said, we continually kick explicit or racist names until they either give up or realise the issue and change there name, kicking due to explicit names are in the server hosting rules so they don't have a leg to stand on.

• Like 1

Finally heard back from my GSP and banning is out of the question.  Hackers, can stay, racists can stay, pedophiles can stay.  This is sick.  Kicking them is not enough.

• Like 1

Kicking is not a solution, because one or two kicks might work on a mature/sane person, but the people you actually want to ban are generally not sane and mature at all ... they're attention-seeking sociopaths who will just keep coming back because they love the drama and love being the "bad guy" in the situation.

It's a lot of work and it gets stressful after a while, which can lead decent admins who have lives and limited time on their hands to just give up on running a server at all.  I play games to have fun and when I pay to host servers it's to create a space to have fun ... so if they're hacking or dropping N-bombs I just want to ban them and be done with it. I don't want to waste any of my free time being a surrogate parent to problem children. 

I remember when I first hosted an Arma 2 server and didn't know how to ban someone, I kicked the same hacker probably 100 times and he kept coming back and spawning fields full of helicopters, finally I had to lock the server and when I took off the password he was back again. Sometimes even if you banned people they kept coming back with names like "U MAD ADMIN?" so everyone could see it when they got kicked on join.

Edited by fuke
  • Like 1

Finally heard back from my GSP and banning is out of the question.  Hackers, can stay, racists can stay, pedophiles can stay.  This is sick.  Kicking them is not enough.

See, here in lies the problem. If you go to MPGS Wiki it tells you are allowed to ban for specific reasons. How is it that one GSP can have different rules than another? That doesn't make sense.

If one has a set of rules then it should apply across the board not made up individually from GSP to GSP. How are we supposed to Admin our servers properly if the rules laid out aren't even clear enough for us to follow?

This definitely needs to be clarified because it appears some Admins may get blacklisted for following rules set out by their GSP that aren't even applicable? Really!?

Oh really, get many pedophiles, do you? Pray tell, how does one recognize a pedophile on a DayZ server?

See, here in lies the problem. If you go to MPGS Wiki it tells you are allowed to ban for specific reasons. How is it that one GSP can have different rules than another? That doesn't make sense.

If one has a set of rules then it should apply across the board not made up individually from GSP to GSP. How are we supposed to Admin our servers properly if the rules laid out aren't even clear enough for us to follow?

This definitely needs to be clarified because it appears some Admins may get blacklisted for following rules set out by their GSP that aren't even applicable? Really!?

I agree about the rules.  Our GSP wont let us ban players. The rules we have are.

You may NOT change your servers slots

You may NOT password your server

Your server must NOT have a 'NO KILL' policy

Your server MUST have BattlEye enabled

You may NOT kick players on joining, to loot farm, or to prevent other players joining

You can kick players if they are being verbally abusive, or abusing in game bugs to gain an in game advantage

You may frequently restart your server in order to maintain a certain time, and to spawn loot. You are advised to do this every 2-4 hours.

Oh really, get many pedophiles, do you? Pray tell, how does one recognize a pedophile on a DayZ server?

"Pedo4life" recognizable enough for ya?

• Like 1

"Pedo4life" recognizable enough for ya?

Uh... no? I'll bet anything that someone called "Pedo4life" is not, in matter of fact, an actual pedophile. Do you also think people who are called "ninja_killer_2001" are actual ninja murderers (that is, to say, a ninja who is a murderer, not, as you might think, a murderer of ninjas) in real life?

Edited by Xant

Thats a falacious argument, having a racist/pedo nickname doesnt make you one. The only wrong you're committing is making some overly sensitive people uneasy.

Uh... no? I'll bet anything that someone called "Pedo4life" is not, in matter of fact, an actual pedophile. Do you also think people who are called "ninja_killer_2001" are actual ninja murderers (that is, to say, a ninja who is a murderer, not, as you might think, a murderer of ninjas) in real life?

No shit most redicu-names are bullshit.

Spoiler: I'm not REALLY the March Hare. Difference is my ign isn't highly offensive. Don't have an ign that you wouldn't put on your car bumper. 'Cause if you wouldn't roll with it it's probably fucking inappropriate.

Thats a falacious argument, having a racist/pedo nickname doesnt make you one. The only wrong you're committing is making some overly sensitive people uneasy.

So Ni**erHuntr is only offensive to "overly sensitive people"?

• Like 1

No shit most redicu-names are bullshit.

Spoiler: I'm not REALLY the March Hare. Difference is my ign isn't highly offensive. Don't have an ign that you wouldn't put on your car bumper. 'Cause if you wouldn't roll with it it's probably fucking inappropriate.

I don't think a highly inapropriate bumper sticker will get you pulled over tho.

It's just a name. A distasteful name, but we arent in the business of good taste inspection are we? I don't think you can just shelve that into harassment until that person start actually harrassing players. Considering the mere presence of the person harrassment is a little far fetched.

Yes. Every sensible person knows that it's just some immature kid giggling about the name on the other side of the screen, not some skinhead eager to kick you with his steeltip shoes. We should by no means accept these childish remarks, but being offended by some kid on the internet? It's meant to enrage or offend people, so don't endorse it by being just that. A swift kick (preferably a ban) should do the job just fine without the child ever having "fun" by offending others and thinking he's a cool "troll".

It's just a name. A distasteful name, but we arent in the business of good taste inspection are we? I don't think you can just shelve that into harassment until that person start actually harrassing players. Considering the mere presence of the person harrassment is a little far fetched.

I would agree (to a point) if this game environment was limited to adults. It's not. Having a name like that might be especially upsetting to a kid of that particular race as it most likely reflects that player's actual views on Blacks.

Yes. Every sensible person knows that it's just some immature kid giggling about the name on the other side of the screen, not some skinhead eager to kick you with his steeltip shoes. We should by no means accept these childish remarks, but being offended by some kid on the internet? It's meant to enrage or offend people, so don't endorse it by being just that. A swift kick (preferably a ban) should do the job just fine without the child ever having "fun" by offending others and thinking he's a cool "troll".

Yes, absolutely kick or ban. That's my point. Others are arguing AGAINST kick/ban for racist/offensive ign. Whether it's a pimply teen shit head or a skinhead isn't known, either way remove them from the server.

I don't know. If you go around with a bumper sticker stating you're a "N*g*e*r Hater", I don't think you'd last all too long.

You would be kicked, literally.

Edited by R.Neville

Would you question it if Pedo4Life and Lockyourchildren  were playing on the same server at the same time. I cannot say they were pedophiles but its just stupid and offensive, as much as racist names.

Would you question it if Pedo4Life and Lockyourchildren  were playing on the same server at the same time. I cannot say they were pedophiles but its just stupid and offensive, as much as racist names.

No, I wouldn't. I'm not going to lose any sleep over some thirteen year old kid's "funny" nickname.