Johnny_reb9

Trouble with racist names

Im not disagreeing with you, but someone calling themselves "pedo4life" and "lockyourchildren" on the same server at the same time, in a game that kids play, is more of a concern than someone calling themselves nigger joe or white jim

That I do agree with and if I ever catch names on my server like that, instant ban.   

Im not disagreeing with you, but someone calling themselves "pedo4life" and "lockyourchildren" on the same server at the same time, in a game that kids play, is more of a concern than someone calling themselves nigger joe or white jim

Any offensive name should be dealt with without question and names of players are logged, so if you kick/ban it's right there. No offensive name is worse than another, if it's offensive it is what it is.

And if their going to shut down my server because I don't promote offensive naming conventions, then the GSP who does shut me down is worse than those who are being kicked/banned. 

Any offensive name should be dealt with without question and names of players are logged, so if you kick/ban it's right there. No offensive name is worse than another, if it's offensive it is what it is.

And if their going to shut down my server because I don't promote offensive naming conventions, then the GSP who does shut me down is worse than those who are being kicked/banned. 

I just emailed my GSP to see if I have the ability to ban players with highly offensive names.  Waiting for a response and if I am able to, win for me!!!  B)

I just emailed my GSP to see if I have the ability to ban players with highly offensive names.  Waiting for a response and if I am able to, win for me!!!  B)

Well to be honest, you shouldn't have to do that. An offensive naming convention is and should be under the same umbrella as this rule:

• You are permitted to kick or ban for hate speech, including racism and homophobia.

And actually the rules should be more clarified by the Devs not the GSP because it seems that each GSP has a different interpretation of said rules, which imo shouldn't be the case.

Another thing is, that in game when someone is calling you a racist name or telling you their going to rape you over Direct, their name should come up much like when you type. I guess that's for another topic though.

Edited by R.Neville

Don't think you can, check the first thread in the server forum.

Don't think you can, check the first thread in the server forum.

That's why I emailed them.  I want to get better clarification on this because I do have access to ban.txt Manage Banned Players configurator

You might prove me wrong, but i don't think having an unpleasant/distasteful name fit into the allowed kicking policy. So at your risks and perils.

Good god people, wanting to ban people for having "lockyourchildren" name now? This is the reason servers can't let you ban for "offensive" names, because some people have no sense of proportion.

• Like 1

If you want to be a racist, don't be it in name, be it in action, like a gentleman. See a black person? Shoot him. Because racism is bad, but killing people is okay. So is torture. These are the lessons of Dayz:

Murder? Yes

Torture? Yes

Racism? No

In fact, that's why they should restrict spray paint from being done freestyle. Some small child who is too young to properly distinguish between fantasy and reality is playing a game based on a military simulator with murder and torture might see something racist, and that would just ruin them. Think of the children.

Daddy, what's a swastika?

*Note: if you have trouble recognizing sarcasm, disregard entire post and anything ever said by this user.

On a side note, and in all seriousness, if you let small children play this game, you should be beaten. I truly believe a squeaky voice should be grounds for an immediate kick if not ban.

Thing is, are you literally killing someone? No

Are you literally torturing someone? No

But with racist or offensive remarks and/or naming conventions are you literally being a racist or offensive to a real live person on the other end? I think so.

Also, through Vilayer there is a name filter attached to BEC and I am allowed to use it so, yeah.

But with racist or offensive remarks and/or naming conventions are you literally being a racist or offensive to a real live person on the other end? I think so.

Also, through Vilayer there is a name filter attached to BEC and I am allowed to use it so, yeah.

I've been wanting to use that but I don't know how well it filters

I've been wanting to use that but I don't know how well it filters

Yeah not particularly sure what exactly it filters because you can't see or edit it. I would figure it's the standard affair much like ones for the Mod, which I never used.

Oh no, you've offended somebody. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was raised on the concept of "sticks and stones."

You don't have a right to not be offended, period.

Oh no, you've offended somebody. Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I was raised on the concept of "sticks and stones."

In a society where race was justification for extreme cruelty, up until the last century we should be aware of the issue of racism.

It's not simply about someone beeing a little offended. It's about fighting racist culture.

Edited by Buffaloe
  • Like 6

Agreed, I find getting "offended" incredibly childish.

I had a retort to all of this where I essentially listed every amendment as a right in the vernacular, and then said but not being offended is not among these rights, but accidentally deleted it, so you get this instead. Imagine it was a brilliantly written piece of prose.

I had a retort to all of this where I essentially listed every amendment as a right in the vernacular, and then said but not being offended is not among these rights, but accidentally deleted it, so you get this instead. Imagine it was a brilliantly written piece of prose.

I don't see what your local legislation has to do with this discussion.

• Like 2

The original ten commandment stone tablets don't saying anything about server admins being allowed to kick racist assholes off their servers, does this mean that the DayZ server ruleset is an affront to God?

Edited by Dallas
  • Like 3

Anybody listing rights and legislation as a defence is clearly not getting either the subject of this thread or the rights and legislation they refer to.

• Like 3

this is probably the mot genuinely worthwhile thread Ive seen on these forums, and has honestly made me happy to be a member on here. being dismissive of casual racism is something that seems kind of endemic in online gaming and online in general, and it's heartening to see a playerbase refuse to accept it. more power to any server admin who decides they won't have their server be a playground for bigots.

• Like 6

Why does OP even care, is it his first day on the internet?

Why does OP even care, is it his first day on the internet?

Whether it is on the internet or face to face doesn't matter. Being anonymous is no excuse to treat other people like shit.

• Like 4

Whether it is on the internet or face to face doesn't matter. Being anonymous is no excuse to treat other people like shit.

No its not, but its not that easy to control (on the internet in general). I was trying to say, that you just have to get used to some people being assholes, childish etc etc, paying no attention to them is the best thing to do imo, since they are usually attention whores (at least the ones I have met)