boneboys

DayZ SA Security Leak.

As many of you know already there has been a recent attack on the BI Servers.

“We have recently detected an attack on some of our servers, the precise nature and scope of this attack is currently being extensively investigated. There were no user data on any of the servers. Current development goals and schedules for our games will not be affected by this attack.”

“More information will follow as our investigation continues.”

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/05/15/dayz-source-code-hack/

I would like to thank some of our members who helped me earlier today.

Thank you for your understanding.

• Like 14

I just don't see how BIS is taking this so lightly as if they think nothing bad is going to come from it. If we think the teleporting, ammo, etc hacks are bad now I can't imagine what else may possibly come down soon, not to mention real issues like security for its customers. Wouldn't an entire rewrite of the source code be required now that this has been exposed to the public hackers?.

Edited by haknslash

I didn't pay any attention at first.

But i saw multiple posts about the subject getting deleted.

I'm not fully aware of the severity of the situation,but what's the worst

thing that could happen if hackers indeed got their hands on the game's source code?

• Like 2

Thanks for the update, stay safe BI.

• Like 1

I'm no hacker, but what's the difference between having the source code and having the compiled code? If the real hackers can make hacks with one, who cares if they get the other? It seems to me this really isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps people will find out some things that weren't supposed to be public knowledge (features planned in the game or whatever), but I'm thinking there might not really be a "story" here.  

Hello there

Nothing is ever deleted, we just wanted to make a full release with all the facts. These leaks have forced our hand somewhat.

More info is and will be forthcoming.

Keep it real and keep it factual.

Patience is key, you will have all the correct info here soon, NOT press speculation.

Give the guys a few days.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 12

I'm no hacker, but what's the difference between having the source code and having the compiled code? If the real hackers can make hacks with one, who cares if they get the other? It seems to me this really isn't that big of a deal. Perhaps people will find out some things that weren't supposed to be public knowledge (features planned in the game or whatever), but I'm thinking there might not really be a "story" here.  

In a compiled .exe you can't read the sourcecode. That's one of the main purposes of an executable, as you (in most cases) can not decompile it to read the code.

• Like 6

I just don't see how BIS is taking this so lightly as if they think nothing bad is going to come from it. If we think the teleporting, ammo, etc hacks are bad now I can't imagine what else may possibly come down soon, not to mention real issues like security for its customers. Wouldn't an entire rewrite of the source code be required now that this has been exposed to the public hackers?.

I don't see anyone taking this lightly? Infact it's not being taken lightly at all.

• Like 1

Obviously very concerned, but hopeful.

Thanks for keeping us in the loop.

I don't see anyone taking this lightly? Infact it's not being taken lightly at all.

Well that's good to know. I hope they catch them and this doesn't affect us or the development timeframes. I don't see how it can't but BIS feels confident.

Edited by haknslash

Im curious why this is the first thats been said of it acknowledged here on the forums, while its been on reddit for several days now.

• Like 2

Im curious why this is the first thats been said of it acknowledged here on the forums, while its been on reddit for several days now.

see my post.

No conspiracy.

L

• Like 1

Ouch, entire source code grabbed. More hacks on the way and rog servers :( - bad day in the Office of BI today, hopefully no long lasting impact, I feel your pain guys!

see my post.

No conspiracy.

L

Hah, wasn't implying conspiracy... and I wear a tinfoil hat on a daily basis :) I really did just think it odd, although until seeing it here I thought the posts on reddit were troll attempts.

• Like 3

LOL. Cutting edge security, guess they didn't spend any of the profits on that either then. Shine on.

• Like 3

Hello there

Forgive me, just rumours are popping up everywhere and its tough to keep people in reality.

Posts have been hidden just so the true facts can be released and to quash silly speculation.

Devs have been honest all the way so far so we ALL just have to sit tight till we get all the facts!

Hey, its exciting!

Rgds

LoK

it's a 10 second internet wonder because no one had anything else to tweet about

here in France its much more interesting (a 30 second wonder at least) that Sarcozy, former French President, was given 50 million Euros campaign funds by Gadaffi... allegedly

I really don't think BI has hit a Big Iceberg

xx pilgrim

it's a 10 second internet wonder because no one had anything else to tweet about

here in France its much more interesting (a 30 second wonder at least) that Sarcozy, former French President, was given 50 million Euros campaign funds by Gadaffi... allegedly

I really don't think BI has hit a Big Iceberg

xx pilgrim

Now that is unusual, since sarcozy/cameron were front line in getting him killed off. A real Shame though, gadaffi's Gold Dinar could of changed africa for the far better, and shown the west the illusion we truly live and possibly drastically changed us also... Oh well..... Its "debt" all the way for some more years still until people wise up...

• Like 1

This is bad news but not the end of the world.

I don't blame moderators and others doing their best to squash all the crazy rumors, as long as they keep us informed (I read some crazy ones out there).

Overall, it should be easy to "hotfix" key areas and prevent a lot of the potential future cheats from happening and it will take some time for any cheats to show up in the wild - it's not like it's easy to pour over 10,000+ lines of code to find weaknesses and exploit them.

Other than that it just means BattleEye will be busy banning people and BIS will be busy patching holes for a while.

All in all, it MAY make the game better for it in the long run. More of these issues will be caught and patched earlier rather than later. It's better to happen now than after release.

• Like 2

LOL. Cutting edge security, guess they didn't spend any of the profits on that either then. Shine on.

Yeah, because absolutely everything is failprrof. Especially in  IT. It just takes one person - ever heard of the name Snowden? And the NSA is supposed to have one of the best securities out there.

• Like 1

Hah, wasn't implying conspiracy... and I wear a tinfoil hat on a daily basis :) I really did just think it odd, although until seeing it here I thought the posts on reddit were troll attempts.

I wear tinfoil hats on a daily basis, I have several to swap out if I get bored of one, from JFK to the gulf of Tomkin, to Afghanistan, and I agree. A (relatively) small company like this most likely isn't trying to HIDE anything, just doing damage control. I may have learned not to trust press releases by the source itself, but that doesn't mean I'm going to dismiss it, just examine the facts from multiple sources to try and find the truth.

That said I'm hopeful this will actually be HELPFUL with the source code leaked the hackers will start messing with it, and bohemia will adapt aggressively as they see these hacks and understand them, they will begin to understand their engines limitations better and be able to shore up its defenses against exploits and cheats.

• Like 2

Nothing is ever deleted, we just wanted to make a full release with all the facts. These leaks have forced our hand somewhat.

Erm, I would beg to differ, things were deleted.

Things like hacking happen, the nature of the hack was rather distressing. An SQL injection is a pretty basic security flaw.

• Like 2

In a compiled .exe you can't read the sourcecode. That's one of the main purposes of an executable, as you (in most cases) can not decompile it to read the code.

False. You can always decompile. Code obfuscation helps make decompiled code more difficult to understand, but I've never heard of Bohemia utilizing obfuscation.

Erm, I would beg to differ, things were deleted.

Hello there

Here on the forum, nothing is ever deleted. It might get hidden, but we keep all posts so that we are transparent and can rectify any errors. Sorry if I wasnt clear. I cant speak for reddit.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1