gibonez

What dayz could have been without zombies

If it is finished or not does not matter it will still have zombies in the end. Unless they completely change the name of the game and focus on survival something I will admit would welcome.

Absolutely this is where I see the wonderful modding community taking over.

A mod team is sure to make survival the pivital gameplay element in a mod for dayz.

If anyone has ever played Skyrim there is a mod called Frost fall combined with hunterborn and realistic needs and disease

These 3 mods turn skyrim into an instense mod that makes strides to emulate survival. It completely changes the dynamics of the game , you can freeze to death, you can catch hypothermia you need to eat and rest, you need medicine to fight disease.

A mod for dayz could take this and take it to a whole different level making survival be the main feature of the mod.

Even if there were thousands of them what exactly do zombies add ? aside from frustration and annoyance ?

But zombies aren't there to entertain you m8, i mean they aren't there to hold your hand and show you where the best loot is spawning are they lol! If you have these types of feelings over z's then you need to evaluate if you really should be playing this game ;)

since when there's zombies in dayz standalone?

People are spending all of this time making actual rebuttals to gibonez' statement.

In all truth, though, we don't need to.

We're playing DayZ, not "Day". Getting rid of zombies or pondering what it would've been like without them is pointless.

We are pondering how awesome a mod for stand alone could be without zombies.

Just survival, hunger, the elements, disease and other players.

In there current state they do nothing for the game...this is true. But if they can make them a threat again, they will add so much more to the game. They can be the ones slowing us down constantly...making a trip to NWA feel like an accomplishment....not just a hold of the w key for x minuets. They are the ones that will make looting hard and challenging. It wont be run into that house for loot....itl be can I run into that house for loot? Do I have the ammo to get upstairs then fight my way out past the infected coming up the stairs. This way we have to fight for loot not just scavenger hunt it.

Id count dayz as having no zombies now.....compared to the mod there may as well be none. And look where that's got us, a PvP fest. Now Dayz does seem to be adding to the environment to make it a challenge. Im sure temp will come back...then theres these 7 or so diff infections. Balancing during beta can make hunger and thirst a challenge, not to mention food already exists that can kill us. So the environment will be a big enemy.

All those bumping into people unaware, and the indecision that follows have, to me at least, always been present in dayz....in fact what made it great. I don't get how no zombies promotes that, nor do I get how no zeds would mean less pvp. Its generally agreed a big threat from zombies would go a long way toards helping with pvp.Turns it into an "us vs them" scenario, instead of every man/group for themselves with no common enemy :)

When the code is right for having many more zombies and even zombie herds I think many, many, many more zombies but slower easier to kill will do the trick..... its the numbers that make them dangerous, unlike currently its the fact you have to smack them 15 times with an axe! which is ridiculous, I know they're dead but they are still flesh and bone.... albeit gooey flesh

If you have a enough firepower, which isn't hard to get in this game, zombies don't stop you from doing squat.

Hell even doing nothing will have zombies comming at you from clip plane anyway.

Yes but this is alpha.

If it is finished or not does not matter it will still have zombies in the end. Unless they completely change the name of the game and focus on survival something I will admit would welcome.

Absolutely this is where I see the wonderful modding community taking over.

A mod team is sure to make survival the pivital gameplay element in a mod for dayz.

If anyone has ever played Skyrim there is a mod called Frost fall combined with hunterborn and realistic needs and disease

These 3 mods turn skyrim into an instense mod that makes strides to emulate survival. It completely changes the dynamics of the game , you can freeze to death, you can catch hypothermia you need to eat and rest, you need medicine to fight disease.

A mod for dayz could take this and take it to a whole different level making survival be the main feature of the mod.

Even if there were thousands of them what exactly do zombies add ? aside from frustration and annoyance ?

You'll never convince people that DayZ would be better without zeds. I agree with you entirely that it would be, but the majority of players (myself included) bought this game because they like zombies. Since buying the game, I've come to realize that zombies are the most aggravating game mechanic I've ever experienced in a game. In both the mod and standalone they just show you when someone is around. They're glitchy, clunky and not at all threatening. Like you said, they're more akin to mosquitoes. They'll never be tweaked to the level necessary to add to immersion. Instead, they take away from immersion with how unrealistic they are and will ever be.

Since playing the shit out of DayZ, even as an avid zombie fan, I have to admit that it'd be better if they dropped the Z and just called it Day. =)

• Like 1

dayz without zombies = the same with zombies.

a deathmatch... nothing more

2  % survival

98% killing other players

Edited by TiMEDANCE

There is surely room enough to have both zombie survival (DayZ) and more realistic survival, with just players and maybe some crazied animals or something.

Also lets not judge zombies now. We all know, as they are now, its just rough placeholder.

Have you forgotten they bought whole new studio (Cauldron) that is now dedicated to AI, behavior and collision as well as the hunting aspect of the game?

Should we scrap features off DayZ until they are even fking finished?!

It is the same as lots of people are against adding shitting in the game.

What is more weird though is, that some of the staunchest pro defecators are now againts zombies?

So you would rather have DayZ with shit everywhere, but zero zombies?

Am I the only one who sees this as totally crazy idea?

edit: wait atleast for private hives, I believe they will cater to your needs

Edited by Hombre

This topic is moronic, It's like going to a startrek forum where people have come to talk about startrek, they are there because they watch startrek, they enjoy startrek. And then you come in and say wouldn't it be good if we god rid of the aliens. They are so over used.

Would be good if we got rid of silly posts.. but hey it wouldn't be a forum then would it. 

• Like 1

what dayz could have been without zombies?

Arma 2: favelas.

• Like 1

I'd only support a zombie-less DayZ for a few reasons...

Firstly, the engine is not built for such an enemy. Removing them would remove the need to fix the current clunk we see, and would allow the engine to /shine/.

Statements like this piss me off so much I want to break something.  Its a smoldering mature hate from the center of my being.

THE REDACTED ENGINE TO HANDLE 'SUCH A REDACTED ENEMY' IS BEING BUILT AS WE SPEAK. I mean are you REDACTED SERIOUS? How ignorant can you be to post this shit? you have 700 posts. DO YOU READ ANYTHING?

slightly offtopic, but since gibonez referenced Frostfall:

some may not be aware that Dean is a fan of Frostfall, stated that he wants to bring a lot of its features to DayZ, and is in close contact with Frostfalls author.. i think we will see good things come out of this

there is a significant share of the community who wants a strong emphasis on the survival aspect, and i am sure those will be heard. i disagree that you need to get rid of zombies to achieve that though, to me they are just another element of the hostile environment.

• Like 3

So go play wasteland then.

this

Wasteland is a free mod with no zombies.

Well I can think of a few things here for this topic. First of all it would be Arma: Operation we killed most of humanity but continue shooting each other cause we are bored.

Second: Wasteland 2 on steam, wasteland 1, fallout 3, Fallout New vegas, S.T.A.L.K.E.R, Metro 2033. Want the point and click "LOL ALL MY GEAR POST APOCALYPSE LOLOLOL!" affair? There ya go. Want pure survival? Go play freaking minecraft. Want something that blends both genre's and is actually trying to do something? Stick with DayZ and see how it develops once beta is out, and maybe pop in to see what H1Z1 is doing. (or rust if you want to pay for another early access game)

Let's be honest, from what I have seen the last few weeks and nearly 200 hours, this is not a public alpha or project. The devs, with their lack of info on what is being done and needs tested, experimental servers going down so quick, the seemingly scatterbrained development of items, they are testing this game themselves and writing it as they see fit. The only input from the community seeming to be "what small bells and whistles should we throw in just to appease the people and get them off our backs till the next patch." I can't blame them anymore, they try to appease the masses saying  that zombies are too easy? Massive backlash from the KoS community about the fireaxe not being a one shot. They try to develop new survival items and gear "I want more tacticool military cosplay stuff! you guys suck!" Move spawns to east coast so people will start heading west and going inland to explore?"I WANT MY ELEKTRO DEATH MATCH! GO TO BEREZINO SO I CAN KILL J00!"

At this point I'd hire someone to follow the forums and report what the major complaints are, then make something even more annoying. Footsteps too loud/low? Release a hotfix that makes it so every step you take is the sound of nails on a chalkboard recorded live by members of the team. Weapons too inacurate? Make it so that every shot causes your guy to spin 360 degrees and start singing trololol.

TL:DR Too much complaining + not enough actual feedback anymore = Public alpha ruined for everyone by jerks, you will get what the devs say now, and you will have little to no input.

• Like 1

Dude the mod and stand alone have never ever been pve.

It has always and will always be PVP focused. The zombies were just filler.

Oh okay so remove the hunger system,stop production on the weather effecting player,forget illness or infection as well. In fact lets never make use for hunting ,cleaning water,or cooking at all. Lets just be ignorant and think that the mod or SA is mainly focused as PVP. PVE is the core with zombie and surviving by eating and staying healthy being key to living. Players and PVP is how many die but to say thats the prime focus is wrong. Interaction with others livens the game up but this is a horror survival zombie apocalypse game. Other players is the most dangerous hazard but they are the thing you interact with the least in the game. What players are actually doing the majority of the mod and game are doing things to stay alive or better their chances of surviving(looting,traveling,hunting). Players and multiplayer in general is the true filler as it makes up for such a small part of gameplay. The majority of the game is spent gearing up,walking places,eating,and fighting zeds. 

Edited by Canned Muffins

I am pretty sure that this is an incorrect statement considering where the game is at this point.

Consider how the majority of your time playing Dayz is actually spent. You eat,walk,kill zeds and rarely see players.The game is mainly PVE with some player interaction and even less actual PVP. People spend most of their game time gearing up and getting healthy. Then when they can't loot anymore they turn to PVP and end game goals which then gets them killed and then they are PVE all over again for several hours. Honestly consider how long a PVP or even player interaction compares to the amount of time you are literally interacting with the environment. We have an apocalyptic horror survival sim with the ability to play with others online. The core game is PVE with PVP moments. 

Edited by Canned Muffins

slightly offtopic, but since gibonez referenced Frostfall:

some may not be aware that Dean is a fan of Frostfall, stated that he wants to bring a lot of its features to DayZ, and is in close contact with Frostfalls author.. i think we will see good things come out of this

there is a significant share of the community who wants a strong emphasis on the survival aspect, and i am sure those will be heard. i disagree that you need to get rid of zombies to achieve that though, to me they are just another element of the hostile environment.

Frostfall is an amazing mod especially when combined with other survival modules.

I look forward to them playing a role in dayz.

Consider how the majority of your time playing Dayz is actually spent. You eat,walk,kill zeds and rarely see players.The game is mainly PVE with some player interaction and even less actual PVP. People spend most of their game time gearing up and getting healthy. Then when they can't loot anymore they turn to PVP and end game goals which then gets them killed and then they are PVE all over again for several hours. Honestly consider how long a PVP or even player interaction compares to the amount of time you are literally interacting with the environment. We have an apocalyptic horror survival sim with the ability to play with others online. The core game is PVE with PVP moments. 

Those are just filler man. 90 percent of the players in game do not care about zombies or survival they just want to find a weapon as fast as possible and kill things until they are killed and then repeat.

This is what dayz has evolved into.

And no gameplay mechanics or new zombies will fix that.

Do you have something wrong with your brain?

People are just very narrow minded. 

• Like 1

I agree; a realistic post-apocalypic game would be excellent.

What does that mean exactly?

I can think of some realistic things that no person without a serious case of OCD would touch in any game.

There is a point at which you go to far. Only so much "realism" can realistically be programmed into a system that would actually function and not require a super duper ridiculous server environment on the other end.

I can think of a number of things right this second I would never want to do in a game that I do in real life.

-actually have to sleep... wow that would be fun watching myself sleep in a game. Realistic yes. Fun for me no. Others I am sure will disagree with all kinds of reason I suck so have at it.

Frostfall is an amazing mod especially when combined with other survival modules.

I look forward to them playing a role in dayz.

Those are just filler man. 90 percent of the players in game do not care about zombies or survival they just want to find a weapon as fast as possible and kill things until they are killed and then repeat.

I doesn't matter what 90 percent of players intended to do when they are doing PVE the majority of the time. They need to loot and interact with the environment far more than they ever will with players. In fact you can avoid all player contact in the game and still essentially have fun. You can stalk and hunt when its added,even raid camps and steal goodies from others without the need for direct PVP. We  have so many things not yet added for PVE and yet the main thing about this game is the PVE build up that leads to brief moments of PVP. Players are the true threat that will kill you but without working and beating the enviroment you would never learn enough to be able to kill others or defend yourself. Plenty of mechanics can shift the focus of players and thats by making zombies/infected a true threat.

...but removing Zs would...? And what DayZ "evolved" into. Yeah. Evolved. *chuckles* because it was never this way. If never means always...

Zombies or no Zombies would make absolute no difference for the game experience you seem to want (and honestly I think that's the kind of game Dean always had in mind - with or without Zombies). - your problem (and the problem of the game of course) are the players....

If an Arma3-DayZ (and Z stands for Zero and not Zombie)-without-Zombies would come exactly like in this pictures, all that would be there would be an open-world-pvp without any environment danger, that isn't in DayZ as well...