Sign in to follow this  
napalmdog

Random spawning points

Is there a reason why spawn points are primarily coast based? It strikes me that a random spawn point would add beautifully to the disorientation of entering as a new character...

• Like 1

Lorewise. You get washed up there...

But i think hicks talked about this and mentioned, that it is considered, but with some restrictions (as far away from high loot spots as possible, nowhere where you are stuck etc. )

I totaly agree with you! It would be awesome to see people spawning all over the map! And the lucky ones might even get a spawn near the airfields! That would also bring a new kind of being thrill because atm mostly when you go to places like Zelenogorsk you don't realy have to be scared that anybody is there and can loot in peace. Bur if there would be spawns everywhere you will always have to be aware of other players! And imagine a Bambie having no idea where he is! LOL

In the mod the coastal spawns created good map flow, as you went inland/north to get better loot then return to the coast to use it.

The SA mixed a bunch of shit up like putting balota and all its mil spawns on the coast, and has very little reason for looting major portions of the map yet as loot tables don't promote it.  I think until they sort out loot respawn, and proper loot tables they should quite frankly just leave spawns alone because constantly shuffling them around is pointless.

Spawns are as much of a balance issue as anything, and when they don't give a shit about balance in other regards to the game yet they shouldn't be bothering with spawns imo.

Down the line I could see it working but just don't see a point in the current state of SA.

Edited by Bororm
  • Like 1

In the mod the coastal spawns created good map flow, as you went inland/north to get better loot then return to the coast to use it.

The SA mixed a bunch of shit up like putting balota and all its mil spawns on the coast, and has very little reason for looting major portions of the map yet as loot tables don't promote it.  I think until they sort out loot respawn, and proper loot tables they should quite frankly just leave spawns alone because constantly shuffling them around is pointless.

Spawns are as much of a balance issue as anything, and when they don't give a shit about balance in other regards to the game yet they shouldn't be bothering with spawns imo.

Down the line I could see it working but just don't see a point in the current state of SA.

My promotion of the idea isn't one of immediate implementation, though it really isn't a matter of that much development now or later. But it wouldn't hurt to put it in now. Here's a few reasons...

1) Random across-the-map spawns mean spawn-camping will pretty much be impossible.

2)Random spawn equal more of a challenge. Figuring out where you are used to be a moderate challenge. I know where I am now spawning newly in a matter of moments.

3)Random spawning means running into someone else soon is a little more of a mystery, lessening the odds, but on a full server your hair would be on end.

4)It's in Alpha. No better time than try it now and see if there are any problems with such a system.

Edited by Napalm Dog

Is there a reason why spawn points are primarily coast based? It strikes me that a random spawn point would add beautifully to the disorientation of entering as a new character...

Yup random spawns would be soo good.

- Map more populated

- No concentration of coastal towns

- Better player distribution

- Better initial challenge.

Yup random spawns would be soo good.

- Map more populated

- No concentration of coastal towns

- Better player distribution

- Better initial challenge.

I'd like to see it coupled with longer respawn timers to discourage suicidal newspawns from just jumping off a building to get an electro/balota spawn.

I'd like to see it coupled with longer respawn timers to discourage suicidal newspawns from just jumping off a building to get an electro/balota spawn.

Suiciding will be almost gone if there is random spawns.

I would imagine it would be pretty time consuming to find a town or then somewhere to climb and kill yourself from.

• Like 1

I would imagine it would be pretty time consuming to find a town or then somewhere to climb and kill yourself from.

Hmm remembering suicide via zeds in the mod...wasn't too hard to kill yourself :)

For random spawn points im against it, maybe its just from all that time spawning on the coast, but spawning in an inland town just feels....wrong....cant quite explain it.

I think if you really wanna disorientate people spawn us in the green belt of woodland around the map edge lol. Imagine trying to determine where you are when your only reference is trees and the sloped floor. Plus I think it would feel more "survivalish", spawn in the wilderness, find civilisation, loot then push for the coast. Don't see them doing it, but always thought it could of been cool, might stop that belt being used for campsites aswell.

Hmm remembering suicide via zeds in the mod...wasn't too hard to kill yourself :)

For random spawn points im against it, maybe its just from all that time spawning on the coast, but spawning in an inland town just feels....wrong....cant quite explain it.

I think if you really wanna disorientate people spawn us in the green belt of woodland around the map edge lol. Imagine trying to determine where you are when your only reference is trees and the sloped floor. Plus I think it would feel more "survivalish", spawn in the wilderness, find civilisation, loot then push for the coast. Don't see them doing it, but always thought it could of been cool, might stop that belt being used for campsites aswell.

With a random spawn you could spawn in the wilderness, or a town, or the coast, it would all be random.

With a random spawn you could spawn in the wilderness, or a town, or the coast, it would all be random.

Fair play lol

I mean all the time, no landmarks, no coastline just woods....everywhere. Maybe you have to chase down a boar and fight it to survive because you went the wrong way :D

Even with full random I could drop in, go "oh look its Vybor" and carry on my way. Maybe randomized within specific areas could work. Some sections of the coast, some in the greenbelt but not too close to mill spawns. But enough of them that spawn camping isn't doable. The few spread out along the coast in the mod were enough. I was never spawn killed there....just always bolted for the treeline lol

I like the idea. spawning on the coast all the time gives me a hamster wheel feeling.

knowing where you are almost instantly and then running the same old path to gather your shit. to me it's not as fun as I think spawning in a random place would be.

gives it a little more of a challenge starting out