A_6_year_old

Sooo about that side chat?

So was wondering as to whether anything has been released yet as to whether side chat will be implemented into the standalone and if so in what way?

It was in the release and it was removed on purpose and I don't think it will come back. It's not confrom with what DayZ is supposed to be. There are Walkie-Talkies and that's as far as it goes with longrange communication.

Edited by kichilron
  • Like 8

But sidechat really allows the world to kind of get together a bit more in the sense it allows more backstabbing treachery etc. Also it's a good way to lure people into traps. It should be implemented I personally believe and then have an on and off option in order to conform with dayz if people want to or to keep it if they like it.

• Like 2

Walkie Talkies are basically the new side chat.

The reason they changed it is immersion.

How would you be talking to all these people in reality?

Edited by Geckofrog7
  • Like 5

But sidechat really allows the world to kind of get together a bit more in the sense it allows more backstabbing treachery etc. Also it's a good way to lure people into traps. It should be implemented I personally believe and then have an on and off option in order to conform with dayz if people want to or to keep it if they like it.

I agree. I'm all for realism but it IS a game and it will make for a better gaming experience if were able to voluntarily with everyone else on the map. I agree with no voice chat but an opt-out version of global text chat would be really well received by most I would think. 

Only thing I really miss is the server messages that came up when someone died.

• Like 1

Side chat should only be avalaible with walkie talkies, voice included, and toggleable on-off. And should be heard/read by everyone around you (zeds included), unless you're wearing earphones.

Also, walkie-talkie should be a bit more common. 'Unlocking' side chat would be one of the first thing I would do as a new spawn.

Edited by p4triot

Only thing I really miss is the server messages that came up when someone died.

This and side chat was what turned this game into Call of Duty, people shooting people until the message appeared, and then people insulting people through side chat for killing them.

• Like 2

This and side chat was what turned this game into Call of Duty, people shooting people until the message appeared, and then people insulting people through side chat for killing them.

Still happens now though.. Just you dont know if the same person is doing it or not or whos really out there that might just be around to kill people. You could argue that its like that because that is all there is to do in the game.. But its always been a part of the game.. Look how elektro and cherno was in the mod.. Thats getting to be Berezino now.

I guess in a way thats better since it brings more wonder to the game. But it also just hides those who wants to KoS contantly.

No matter what the devs do, there will always be a part of the playerbase that wants the CoD feel more than the survival. For that I bet once you see modding and private hives, youll start seeing servers offering gear again right from spawning if its possible.

Yep, and servers that show you when someone dies, and also who killed him, and with which weapon, from what distance, etc. Seen crap loads of that shit on private servers during the mod. Never understood why, since theres already a lot of games offering you that (I myself play some of them). I think its because those people actually suck playing games intended for deathmatch, where the rest of the players are also hunters not just preys, and therebefore they come here to try to find unarmed players cuz its the only thing they can kill.

However, not my business, been discussed a lot, dont give a shit anymore. Good thing about those servers is they will take away all those losers from vanilla servers. So private servers actually do solve things in their own way.

Abso-effing-lutely not.

Not text nor voice.

70% trolling/arguments, 20% bitching about getting killed, and 10% actually communicating. That was sidechat. Always.

Turn it off forever and never look back.

If you want to communicate with other players across the server, looted walkie talkies should substitute for side chat. It should NEVER be a taken-for-granted system of DayZ. It should be an item to be looted.

One of those things that, yes, it was popular... but it's not good, beneficial, or worthwhile. Sort of like Justin Bieber and McDonalds.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 2

I want walkietalkies to work.

And a general public frequency wheere everyone can join and talk to each other.

Would be kind of cool and make lone wolves like me feel a bit less lonely at times when I'm running in a forest or trough a field.

• Like 3

I miss sitting at my camp at dusk and talking to random people. Occasionally I'd grab my car and go help one of them. I understand why it's not gonna come back, though. Walkie talkies should be really common and work exactly like side chat (with an option to turn off), no limited range and no new batteries needed. That way we can have a somewhat realistic side chat.

• Like 4

Side chat was amazing, made it so much funner. 

Forget the walkie talkie, if i want to talk to a friend I'm going to skype him anyway. 

So much wrong with everything here.

NO sidechat please! As someone else has already said, the trolling and absolute stupidity that side enabled was ridiculous.

I tried many times (when I ran the mod) to control it but you just can't so off it went and it never came back. Although, some were ok and mature with using side the majority weren't.

I hate side chat. Glad it's gone. It's fine in ARMA where you have, you know... sides... but I played the mod recently and it was annoying and immersion-breaking. Nothing says "this is a game" more than blue text repeatedly asking "any snipers in Elektro?"

Side chat has a tendency to be stupid as well

QUL2ilo.png

• Like 7

Please no side chat. I love playing Arma 3 Wasteland, but everyone screaming at eachother in chat gets really tiring. I kind of like that you're all alone in DayZ. If I want to talk to someone, I'll go find them.

• Like 3

I like Radio's. Unfortunately I was killed last time I looted one. 

We should also be able to  get FM/AM radios and listen to different stations. Even better, it would be awesome if players could rebuild radio stations/equipment and broadcast music/voice recordings...

How awesome it would be if you fix a radio in a house and hear: .... *static* ... we are setting up... aid station.... *static* at.... coordinates...

Back OT: Side chat ruins fun

Edited by kypkalorian
  • Like 1

Radios are too rare to be a sub for sidechat. 

Make them more common then?

• Like 3

Maybe make radios/walkie talkies more common would help balance things?

Sorry i'm blind,yep they should definetlly be common loot for balance reasons.

Edited by Damnyourdeadman

Oh hell no.  Make Walkies hard to find.  i don't need to be hearing some screechy kids voice on the radio.