Sign in to follow this  
Vehslav

Water

Filling canteen/bottle with rain needs an improvement
This feature is neat but it requires a billion clicks just to fill up an empty bottle and more effort and patience is required for those with higher latency cos the context box doesn't appear instantly. Higher the ping, slower the context box takes to appear.

Removing the click a billion times to refill an empty bottle/canteen while its raining should be replaced with equip water bottle, hold fist up while its raining and it will refill automatically (heavier and faster the rain, quicker it is to refill). Another feature to "refill our hydration system" is to look at the sky when its raining without any masks on.

Drinking and refilling water from pond/lake/river should be made contaminated
I spend almost no time at all looking for soda cans or water bottles to keep me hydrated cos of the massive availability of water supplies in all forms everywhere and this eliminates one of the few requirements to get to one of the north military bases quickly. I like this but I don't like it when others do the same which is why there's so many ****ing people there, even in low populated servers. It requires approx. one can of food and some stops at lakes/pond/rivers/water pumps to get from say, elektro to airfield, sprinting non-stop. Surprisingly, my guy is a real runner. In real life, i'd need constant breaks from all that running.

It would be a challenge if they decided to make a % chance to get sick from drinking from rivers, lakes and ponds. However, drinking from water pumps should be safe, always. If this does happen, I think it would be a good idea to make household taps accessible (drinking and refilling) and water purification tablets should be a somewhat common drop in most households cabinets and supermarkets instead of them being mostly available in military buildings.

At this point, I should point out that needing to spam click drink from water pumps/lakes/rivers/ponds is annoying and tiresome. An animation should be added and fewer clicks should be required.

• Like 2

Just add the ability to leave it on the ground and pick it up later. This would take way too long irl, unless you had some sort of funnel

Filling canteen/bottle with rain needs an improvement

This feature is neat but it requires a billion clicks just to fill up an empty bottle and more effort and patience is required for those with higher latency cos the context box doesn't appear instantly. Higher the ping, slower the context box takes to appear.

Removing the click a billion times to refill an empty bottle/canteen while its raining should be replaced with equip water bottle, hold fist up while its raining and it will refill automatically (heavier and faster the rain, quicker it is to refill). Another feature to "refill our hydration system" is to look at the sky when its raining without any masks on.

Drinking and refilling water from pond/lake/river should be made contaminated

I spend almost no time at all looking for soda cans or water bottles to keep me hydrated cos of the massive availability of water supplies in all forms everywhere and this eliminates one of the few requirements to get to one of the north military bases quickly. I like this but I don't like it when others do the same which is why there's so many ****ing people there, even in low populated servers. It requires approx. one can of food and some stops at lakes/pond/rivers/water pumps to get from say, elektro to airfield, sprinting non-stop. Surprisingly, my guy is a real runner. In real life, i'd need constant breaks from all that running.

It would be a challenge if they decided to make a % chance to get sick from drinking from rivers, lakes and ponds. However, drinking from water pumps should be safe, always. If this does happen, I think it would be a good idea to make household taps accessible (drinking and refilling) and water purification tablets should be a somewhat common drop in most households cabinets and supermarkets instead of them being mostly available in military buildings.

At this point, I should point out that needing to spam click drink from water pumps/lakes/rivers/ponds is annoying and tiresome. An animation should be added and fewer clicks should be required.

Agreed with nearly all the points you made.

Why would one get sick from drinking from ponds?

Drinking water from any unclean source can make you extremely sick because it can contain any kind of bacteria, parasites or viruses.

Drinking from these in DayZ; once implemented; will have a chance of making you sick and most likely die if not treated. It was in the mod and will be in the SA. Fun times!

Contaminated ponds are coming, they just need to get sicknesses like cholera in and working.  Also one would get sick drinking from ponds without boiling or disinfecting them is because humans and animals tend to forget the golden rule, don't shit where you eat/drink.  Wild water can be contaminated in any number of ways, dead bodies, feces, or even just someone/thing sick taking a swim, not to mention industrial and man made waste.  Sometimes the contaminate doesn't even have to be in the water, heavy rains usually wash all kinda bad shit into rivers and lakes (Some asshole with leptospirosis takes a shit next to a river, it rains, washes it into the water, and now the river is contaminated with leptospirosis).  Unless you're getting your water straight from a artisan spring/well you'll need to sterilize it somehow.

• Like 2

I was being sarcastic. You would need to be an idiot to drink from a pond, and doing so should make you sick no matter how much water purification chemcials you use in it. Drinking from streams however should always be safe if there are no dead zombies upstream. As BigMike mentions boiling/evaporating water is a great way to purify it. It would be nice if you could passively evaporate water à la http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-Purification/ (this also works with a tarp. It doesn't need to be transparent it just needs to slope downwards.)

Edited by aloned

I was being sarcastic. You would need to be an idiot to drink from a pond, and doing so should make you sick no matter how much water purification chemcials you use in it. Drinking from streams however should always be safe if you are near if there are no dead zombies upstream. As BigMike mentions boiling/evaporating water is a great way to purify it. It would be nice if you could passively evaporate water à la http://www.instructables.com/id/Water-Purification/ (this also works with a tarp. It doesn't need to be transparent it just needs to slope downwards.)

Flowing streams aren't even safe to drink straight from (as I said, leptospirosis is a big problem here in Hawaii), even rain catchment water should be boiled/treated.

Just add the ability to leave it on the ground and pick it up later. This would take way too long irl, unless you had some sort of funnel

Craft a funnel out of big leafs or something similar, it can also be a piece of cardboard/paper ( one way thought ).

Craft a funnel out of big leafs or something similar, it can also be a piece of cardboard/paper ( one way thought ).

Heh,well cardboard and water don't really mix but yeah,the concept's right.

I was thinking more of water bottle funnel.

670px-Make-Funnel-from-Bottle-Step-2.jpg
  • Like 1

Good idea and it will last longer...the cardboard/paper/leaf thing came into mind if you were where "no man has gone before" and needed something to get water inside a bottleneck pretty much out of stuff you carry around or can find in thr brush.

Edited by Enforcer

Flowing streams aren't even safe to drink straight from (as I said, leptospirosis is a big problem here in Hawaii)

Sorry about the error in grammar. This is true in most parts of the world today, however most animals that would have been able to survive carrying diseases now would not survive in the wilderness. And saying that there is a benefit derived from purifying rainwater is inaccurate, unless you live near an active industrial area.

Edited by aloned

I remember when I was a wee nipper I was so thirsty I drank out the river. I don't remember it tasting funny but a later I puked my guts up. Other than that I was fine.

I would love to see the ability to construct water harvesting systems put in place. Thinking ahead and buying or collecting what was needed could mean catching rain to fulfill the need for water instead of always having to risk death going into towns or disinfect water from ponds. You have no assurance of rain or even that someone else won't come along and drain your supply, but it would be great to have something like this in your basecamp. The idea of sitting there trying to catch raindrops in a canteen is beyond silly to me unless you had no other choice. Can you imagine the poor guy out in a downpour trying to gather water in a whole the size of a quarter while rivers of water are sliding down his rain jacket?

I think... I read somewhere that dev's want that even water from fountains can have a risk of contamination (smaller than from river and pond for sure).

Since then, I'm keeping one set of pristine water purificator in my bag... just in case.