Ugly (DayZ)

Poll: Are you happy with update news/management?

Poll: Are you happy with update news?  

215 members have voted

1. 1. Are you satisfied with the way information is disseminated to testers?

• Yes, all the information I need about updates is available and easy to find.
    • No, I do not get enough information about updates and/or it is too hard to find.
    • Other, I will include my opinion in comments.

There are roughly 25 pages of people upset about the lack of clarity of updates/news regarding this game, myself included.

After reading back  5 pages I was not able to find a similar topic so I created it myself.

Do you feel the current method of informing us testers about updates is adequate?

EDIT: got this from a forum mod:

theoretically everything you need can be found in the DevTracker-section:

http://forums.dayzga...131-devtracker/

Information about upcoming features and the dev-roadmap are all gathered inside there in the PAX-thread:

http://forums.dayzga...ons-livestream/

The Tumblr is just as official as these forums and it's always worth checking out, as DevBlogs are published there. They always have been and it's a nice and easy way to publish that information in a good layout:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

Coming from the DevTracker you can go to Hick's and rocket's Twitter.

Edited by Ugly
  • Like 6

Yes, it's adequate. Not exemplary, but adequate.

Would I rather they post regular changelogs rather than leave us in the dark on Experimental? Sure.

Would I rather they give out more informative devblogs? Maybe.

Would I rather they pay more attention to the forums? Yeah.

Would I rather they consolidate their information stream rather than have it be divided amongst the forums, Twitter, Reddit, and conventional news outlets? Absolutely.

Do I understand why they're doing what they're doing now? Abso-effing-lutely.

I'm more concerned with their reasoning, specifically Torchia's, for doing certain things. Nothing wrong with it, it's just that their thought process is at times incoherent.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 5

I think the amount of info they're giving us about updates and such is more than adequate. Trust me I'm as information hungry as the next guy but sometimes we just need to give them some space.

They're working on it. Hounding them for more info does nothing to help speed things up.

• Like 1

It's not long since I expressed how I feel about the lack of communication, especially regarding patch notes for experimental. There's just no excuse for that, some of us want to make a serious effort to test but we don't know what we should be testing.

I love the game and appreciate the devs, but I don't think they care much about exp. branch and should probably scrap it entirely. This is an alpha, just treat stable as experimental and be done with it instead of axing all the servers and not bothering to post patch notes.

• Like 8

Other;

Pretty simple really, would I like better management and changlogs of all the updates? Of course.

But do I understand why not? In a way yes, keeping track of everything that's been added, tweaked, and removed during coding is a pain; especially in the transition they have now of being two studios; compiling everyone's work into a streamlined changelog would take time away from actually working on the game and making it better. Yet on the flip side of that coin I hope they have decent enough internal communication that someone doesn't work to fix something while another person thinks it's still broken and not being worked on and tries to fix the same thing. ;3 But fairly certain they at least have their team focused on specific projects and not overlapping.

So short version, no I'd love better reporting but it's reasonable to let it pass and an unnecessary time sink for the dev team this early into the development. 

- The only exception is Experimental they could at LEAST suggest what needs focus testing; even if not a direct change log give testers some idea: "Head to x location and try x" / "Use x item in various situations" - on the regular servers it's no big deal; most people are just playing to enjoy the experience and if they find a undiscovered bug - great - but there isn't any specific thing to focus testing on.

Edited by AzrailCross
  • Like 1

Yes, it's adequate. Not exemplary, but adequate.

Would I rather they post regular changelogs rather than leave us in the dark on Experimental? Sure.

Would I rather they give out more informative devblogs? Maybe.

Would I rather they pay more attention to the forums? Yeah.

Would I rather they consolidate their information stream rather than have it be divided amongst the forums, Twitter, Reddit, and conventional news outlets? Absolutely.

Do I understand why they're doing what they're doing now? Abso-effing-lutely.

I'm more concerned with their reasoning, specifically Torchia's, for doing certain things. Nothing wrong with it, it's just that their thought process is at times incoherent.

planetside was adequate...this is less than that, the only REAL info we got was at that convention on a middle school grade power point. They should keep us in the loop, if they are falling behind schedule (which I genuinely believe) they should let us know, or at least say "hey THIS is the next big thing"...i thought that big thing was hunting/cooking, but then they do a 180 and focus on all these small things like mouse movement and other technical issues, which isn't bad its just...when they tell us they have a plan then change it up, well its just not cool.

• Like 2

planetside was adequate...this is less than that, the only REAL info we got was at that convention on a middle school grade power point. They should keep us in the loop, if they are falling behind schedule (which I genuinely believe) they should let us know, or at least say "hey THIS is the next big thing"...i thought that big thing was hunting/cooking, but then they do a 180 and focus on all these small things like mouse movement and other technical issues, which isn't bad its just...when they tell us they have a plan then change it up, well its just not cool.

Vitriol aside, they're doing an adequate job. Not exemplary, but no major pitfalls as of yet. They've been very up front with us for the past year on some of their setbacks.

Edited by Katana67
  • Like 1

i answered no. im happy with the amount of information thats coming out, even though they could explain changes made to experimental etc. 

what im not happy about is that info being spread across several different social media, that not everyone uses, or wants to use. Especially joining one just for dayz, when there is a perfectly good, official, populated forum that gets completely ignored.  They need a community manager, someone the team leaders pass on info to put on the official site, even the small things like new screenshots, planned features etc.  
I'm sure people would return to the game more often if they knew about things as they are added

• Like 2

If they change something major i would like the reasoning behind it. Not just we change it deal with it

• Like 2

Need more info. But I can't blame them for not posting every little detail of their work day. :/

Well....If you are only here in the form, you may not be well informed, if no changelog is posted. If you follow the other official channels via the devtracker (twitter, and especially tumblr) and reddit, you get a lot of Information.

Example from yesterday:

What happened to  this weeks patch?

Rocket: Some of the implemented changes caused some gamebreaking issues. We've been wanting to do a push to experimental for over a week now, but there have been some major issues that we wanted to resolve before this occurs. I'll outline more in this week's blog post.

And: Roger, I'm trying to be much more regular with the updates via the blog. Will make sure I cover the status of item persistence in it.

And: we are still on target for these dates for push to stable. We don't commit to specific times for pushes to experimental. We consider doing an update to experimental daily, however we don't commit something to experimental if there are issues beyond a certain point.

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 2

No I'm not, I don't want to read smoke signals from the mountains of the Appalachian or decipher morse code signals from pocket mirros in the Dhabi desert.

The point is: I don't want to have to go to three different tweets or read some reddit threads or tumblr posts when they have an official forum. It's poor handling.

I'm happy with the information, just not the way it is distributed.

• Like 1

This is official and just as official as these forums and the last DevBlog isn't even a week old:

http://dayzdev.tumblr.com/

There is no reason to ignore it and a lot of informationvalue coming out of it.

If you haven't watched it yet, make sure to do so now. If you're not happy about the regularity of the updates and wonder what's coming next - chances are you haven't watched it yet.

There is a massive difference between not giving the information to the playerbase and the playerbase not willing to invest 1.5 minutes to search either these forums or other official sources.

The information is too spread and changelog and discussion for experimentals would be nice. I like how Bohemia handles the Arma 3 which is 10/10 job. Too bad that the DayZ dev team doesn't have a guy who handles the information that way.

We need something like Development Branch forum here like in Arma 3 where we can talk about experimental branch, give feedback about the things that devs want and see the experimental changelog to know what has changed. This would help a bit. But then there's the side that the devs don't visit the OFFICIAL forums much...

Edited by St. Jimmy

There are roughly 25 pages of people upset about the lack of clarity of updates/news regarding this game, myself included.

After reading back  5 pages I was not able to find a similar topic so I created it myself.

Do you feel the current method of informing us testers about updates is adequate?

they do seem to communicate often via many media outlets be it reddit or twitter or any other place but its not that im bothered about its the actual content and lack of it. by content i mean getting the core stuff done instead of making meaningless objects like hats and more jeans vests.

i uninstalled the game about a month ago after playing breaking point because its simply better than this game now. thats a free mod on arma 3. how can that be even possible ?

30-40 million in bank and they cant get things like vehicles and base building done yet free modders have all this stuff done in weeks, yet a 40 man team are still making hats !!!

dayz Sa is just a cash in for what was good which is the mod. i dont mind paying for that fun i had it was awesome but this project already too late on a bad engine and now going to be succeeded by others who do it for free or maybe the evil that is sony with H1Z1.

such a shame.

simple fact is Datz SA should of been made on ARMA 3 engine should of had a team like its got now at the start and they would of had the game done by now . its 2 years late.

now sony are going to come in scoop up all the glory cause the people behind the scenes couldnt work out what needed to be done. poor planning maybe restricted by people who knows but the ball was dropped on the gameplay side. you can scream all about sales whether it be 2 million or whatever but the only reason those 2 million brought the SA was because of the mod !!

if the mod wasnt out before hand you would of sold 100,000 copies with this current game.

so now H1Z1 is going to come in along with free arma 3 mods and scoop up finish what should of been Dayz glory on pc. such a shame .

Edited by dgeesio

The testers/public are well informed about what the devs are doing. It's not perfect, but the devtracker and the devblog give a good overview. Who conducts a little more research can get an even better picture.

Considering many things are changing, and the developers can't alwas be sure wether things will work out or not, the information policy can definitely be called adequate.

edit: When reading many of the complaint threads I got the feeling, that those who complained oftenly were to lazy to even follow the devtracker...

Edited by Buffaloe
  • Like 1

It may need some improvements here and there...but overall I´m happy with the way they´re sharing information. 

If I'm looking for information I'll look in the DEV TRACKER or ANNOUNCEMENTS threads located right here on the forums. 

The experimental servers are experimental expect to see a change log start when they have made changes that they are happy with.  Given the general attitude and behavior of the community, if they added something to experimental and found it needed to be disabled/removed so they could tweak it and get it working properly there would be a bloody uproar about it.

I choose other.  I know what I paid for and what I got into by reading all the warnings before hand.  It's unfortunate that there are many who did not and are allowed to even make polls and posts on this forum

• Like 1

The experimental servers are experimental expect to see a change log start when they have made changes that they are happy with.  Given the general attitude and behavior of the community, if they added something to experimental and found it needed to be disabled/removed so they could tweak it and get it working properly there would be a bloody uproar about it.

Let them uproar. This is an alpha and those things should happen. Put something in, take feedback, remove (hear a shitstorm) and put that back again when it's ready is a norm.

I'm not a sell out and don't use twitter or Reddit. Please add all updates to the forums. I will not be regulated to use a 3rd party service just to get information about a product.

It's like calling Microsoft and instead you get someone from India....

• Like 2

I'm not a sell out and don't use twitter or Reddit. Please add all updates to the forums. I will not be regulated to use a 3rd party service just to get information about a product.

It's like calling Microsoft and instead you get someone from India....

Hello there

You are NOT relegated to use 3rd party services. Their twitter feed is pushed to the forums.

It may not be presented to you on a silver platter but all the main info is here.

Why should the devs NOT post in Twitter or Reddit?

Also, the devs do visit here and any groovy threads we pass onto them regularly. They just tend not to post directly here.

As has been pointed out, yes these are the official forums but the Tumbler and reddit are official too.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 4

Fuck reddit, fuck tumblr i come here, forgive me if its wrong to go to THE OFFICIAL forum to try n get updates.

The tumblr is official. Please calm down before posting and your input will be appreciated, even if it's not positive, as long as it's constructive.

Dean kind of get himself in trouble for his ambition of regular updates and every time he expresses a desire to deliver them weekly, a part of the community considers it a legal binding agreement and gets very upset, when reality can't quite deliver enough hours in a day to allow Dean to push out devblogs.

I'm not very active on reddit, however I did bookmark Rocket's page, so I can easily keep up with his postings on reddit and I did indeed follow him on twitter too. It's not really complicated and you don't have to reveal your blood type and darkest sexual secrets to bookmark Rocket on Twitter/Reddit/Tumblr.

I just imagine that if they haven't got time to push out a devblog, that they are simply busy with more important things. Also I know, that no matter what, any devblog is always meet by a certain segment as a literal slap in the face, if it only contains 13 screenshots or one short 21 minute video. 

• Like 1

Im sure a majority of people posting here are actually posting about information and the way its handled, not about the state of the game, the lack of vehicles or any other "anti-alpha" stuff.  If the odd exception in this thread of 1 or 2 people saying "too long too late, h1z1 is gonna steal the throne" nonsense, most of us are discussing the fact that most information is given out on a range of other sites, and you pretty much have to visit all to get a clear picture of whats happening in development of the game.

as for those who say read the devtracker, i do, and while some of the information on there is good, alot of it is out of context sentences like "rocket2guns @bob i agree with you" or "rocket2guns @bill we are working on it" and you dont know what they are talking about. or theres links to a picture or video and you click it and its broken

sorry but if i had a website dedicated to something I created, I would stop by more often even just to reply to something random or post something i was passionate about, rather than share that info with a small portion of the community through social networking

• Like 1