Sign in to follow this  
Countercruel

So after a time spent on Standalone, here are my thoughts.

So as we all know, this game is still in early access alpha, and everyone understands that and some even use it as a weapon to defend the game which by all means go ahead. 

What the problem lies with is the engine and the struggle i and many other people have seen when it has come to making a standalone version of a mod that already had a better foundation then the standalone will ever have even if they did add all the stuff Dean added in his presentation. <--- sad truth. 

Lets not forget that the Arma 2 engine on the mod is not great either (and i mean that, its annoying aswell), i am looking at this from a unbiased perspective and hope people agree. 

Ok, lets get to the meat of it, my thoughts just as a gamer and someone who has played DayZ for the last two years. The game feels like a constant battle with the dev team (just look at the struggle they had with the development time just to add the new ui/animations/zombies and backpack/weapon systems. And of course the dev team is small but i feel like they could of achieved so much more if the engine wasnt so hard to push. 

Early access can be a god send to a new game or a killer, and i currently feel like the early access has killed this game, not because of the battle of the dev times and false and pushed deadlines constantly, but because early access gave the players a chance to experience the whole game through to the end and now ask "so whats next dev team?, because were sitting here with m4's with no vehicles to quickly get around... so im just gonna pop onto a mod of the DAYZ mod and enjoy shooting down helis" thats what we expected some people to say right?. 

Now, look at where we are now in this game, look at it as unbiased as you possibly can and finally say "this game... should of just remained in mod state and added onto that with the full dev team supporting it". 

Thanks for your time and i hope some agree to at least one of my points. 

Edited by Countercruel
  • Like 1

So as we all know, this game is still in early access alpha, and everyone understands that and some even use it as a weapon to defend the game which by all means go ahead. 

What the problem lies with is the engine and the struggle i and many other people have seen when it has come to making a standalone version of a mod that already had a better foundation then the standalone will ever have even if they did add all the stuff Dean added in his presentation. <--- sad truth. 

Lets not forget that the Arma 2 engine on the mod is not great either (and i mean that, its annoying aswell), i am looking at this from a unbiased perspective and hope people agree. 

Just to make sure...you know that the DayZ engine is not the ArmA 2 engine? It's a complete changed arma 2.5 heli engine.

And "the mod had a better foundation then the standalone will ever have" is pure and absolute BS, sorry for that harsh words, but if you state "facts" and "truths" that are obvious wrong you deserve it.

So you either know nothing, but still post "facts" that would require knowledge, which would make you an idiot or you know them and lie on purpose...hm. Either way that's not nice. Unbiased perspective? My ass...

I'll try to explain with an analogy I used already here:

Imagine ArmA 2 as a small house with a shower (the Multiplayer) in in the second floor. Somebody started building a bathtub there (DayZ).

The inhabitants were absolute happy, but soon demanded more and more, it should be bigger, have more things, made out of marmor etc. etc. But the stairs were too small to bring the things up, so a crane was put on top of the house and a hole was broken into the side of the house to bring it in. So the bathtub was getting bigger and better, but the house wasn't made for that and it became cracks and the water pressure destroyed the pipes, the floor was hanging through and nearly breaking and the neighbours brats were inserting nasty things in the pipes, since they had to be made outside the house...

So, since there was no way to make the bathtub any bigger without completly destroying the house, a new house was built. This time with a bigger stair, hardened, waterproof floor, better pipes inside the house etc. etc. But the inhabitants only saw the bathtub, that was brought upstairs and as soon as water was running they demanded to bath, even if they were told, that it was not as comfortable or shiny or with all the funny extras they knew from the old bathtub, hell not even the roof of the new house was finished and sometimes it was raining straight into the bathtub.

But since they were begging and begging, they were allowed to bath - and they complained about the missing of the shiny things they were used to, the cold water that sometimes came out, the rain that fell through the roof, and that these idiotic brats still were able to get to the pipes, because some windows were missing. But you could see that now it would be nice, because the bath would be bigger, better without destroying the house...

Ok, lets get to the meat of it, my thoughts just as a gamer and someone who has played DayZ for the last two years. The game feels like a constant battle with the dev team (just look at the struggle they had with the development time just to add the new ui/animations/zombies and backpack/weapon systems. And of course the dev team is small but i feel like they could of achieved so much more if the engine wasnt so hard to push.

I really hate to say this but....that's what an Alpha is. Developing new features, breaking things, pushing other features in, breaking more things. And that is totally normal..

That the Engine isn't the best...well that's no question for me. I'm not gonna debate (again) if DayZ should run on snowdrop, Arma3 or unity because, tbh, that is going nowhere. DayZ belongs to BI, BI has an inhouse engine that they want to use and that's it. And, while I also could think of other possible engines for DayZ (just from guessing), I think the used engine is by far not the worst possibility...

Ah, and the dev  team isn't that small anymore.

Early access can be a god send to a new game or a killer, and i currently feel like the early access has killed this game, not because of the battle of the dev times and false and pushed deadlines constantly, but because early access gave the players a chance to experience the whole game through to the end and now ask "so whats next dev team?, because were sitting here with m4's with no vehicles to quickly get around... so im just gonna pop onto a mod of the DAYZ mod and enjoy shooting down helis" thats what we expected some people to say right?.

DayZ has no end. Well, it has an end, the death of the char. But if you don't want to play anymore, because you already have a M4 and vehicles are not in the game, you have two choices: a) play somethign else and come back next year or B) live with it and don't see "gearing up" as the main goal.

Now, look at where we are now in this game, look at it as unbiased as you possibly can and finally say "this game... should of just remained in mod state and added onto that with the full dev team supporting it". 

Pf. Don't tell me what to say. And 1) BI would't have paid the devs for supporting the mod (they also can't chew on lines of code), 2) the limits of the mod (mods) have already been reached a long time ago. There was nothing more that could have been added or bigger changes  that could haver been made...well let's say "correctly".

So, I look at you as unbiased as possible and say: "You state facts and yell "truths" without having an idea what you are talking about. You know what this makes you? A complete tool."

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 2

This has been discussed a little in the FOX community just recently.

I think I fall onto your side of the fence, as well as others do.  As good as the SA looks in comparison to the mod, there is just something about the mod that makes me want to play it more, and for some reason I seem to find the experience... smoother in the Arma 2 engine, despite the gritty look (that I actually really like, SA seems too "clean"). 

With that being said though have you played Breaking Point on Arma 3? No where near finished in terms of the mods content and stability but it has such a good atmosphere (different animal and insect noises throughout the day, honestly, something about the crickets coming out as the sun goes down is kinda therapeutic, despite the hoards wanting to eat your face) and looks to it that one of the guys said that he thinks it's what SA wanted to be and may well have already failed at becoming.

I was all for the Alpha at the start, but now I feel like they should have waited until it was in at least it's current state to make it available, I'm kind of under the same impression as you. I'm not 100% sure we'll see a complete, commercial release for it now thanks to the Alpha, at least not the way Rocket or BI may have imagined it.

Edited by =FOX= Damocles

I meant no offence Jack, so try not to take none. If you dont agree with my observations as a factual place then fine. But respect others for having a different view. Thanks. 

Also, me asking people to look at this at a unbiased way isnt me telling anyone the rules, if this is the first time you have been advised in life to maybe look at something differently and then be offended by the notion that you can be told what to do (which i wasnt doing), then i feel sorry for you. 

Its not the devs job to cater to you.  They already have been catering too much lately.  You bought the product.  I hope you read the disclaimers.  There was no mention of guaranteed updates.  Shit happens.  Soon as you said  "I'm a gamer"  followed by "constant battle with the developer"  during the development phase.  I stopped reading.

You claim to have played the mod yet have no idea of the standalones progression, or the fact a roadmap was just revealed clearly outlining some amazing goals planned.

You complain about the engine, then say for BI to build upon the one tweaked for arma 2?

The engine goodies for DayZ we will be getting will give your eyes diabetes.

Here is an example.

I would agree with you, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm not really playing the game a whole lot. I'm not playing it, because of the exact reason you mentioned: I don't want to get tired of it at this point in time, when there are practically no features in the game yet. The reason I bought it at this point was to save me a few euros in the future, and to get to test new features as they are put in.

Also, I'm not ready to state as fact that the game would have been better off with the old engine. What I would state as fact is that there is no way they could push the player amount per server and base building and other features like that with the old arma 2 engine, since it wasn't made to support more than a few dozen players on one server at a time. Like Dean has stated in the past, they rewrote huge chunks of the engine, which is almost like making a new one from scratch. From my understanding the author of the engine doesn't have previous experience with MMO-style engines either, which is why it  took them so long to finish the nework bubble and release the alpha. If someone knows more about Marek Spanel's history as a dev, feel free to correct me on this point, but as far as I know, he has mainly worked on mil sims.

This is why I'm not at all suprised that the game isn't further into development yet, and it is also why I can be so patient about it.

Edited by TheSodesa

I meant no offence Jack, so try not to take none. If you dont agree with my observations as a factual place then fine. But respect others for having a different view. Thanks. 

Also, me asking people to look at this at a unbiased way isnt me telling anyone the rules, if this is the first time you have been advised in life to maybe look at something differently and then be offended by the notion that you can be told what to do (which i wasnt doing), then i feel sorry for you. 

"Now, look at where we are now in this game, look at it as unbiased as you possibly can and finally say" ....so you telling me that i should finally say something and now telling me that you didn't do that? 

And I just told you off, because you weren't posting an opinion, you war stating "facts". And obviously wrong facts, which, in internet slang, is "spreading BS".

[...] when it has come to making a standalone version of a mod that already had a better foundation then the standalone will ever have even if they did add all the stuff Dean added in his presentation. <--- sad truth.

This is an example for this. "already had a better foundation then the standalone will ever have" - is a fact (sorry: the "truth" as you wrote.) And, btw. a wrong one. Which leads again to the "spreading BS" thing I was talking about. So please, take no offense, but if it is the first time in life that someone told you that you should not state an opinion as a fact, well, then it was goddamn time.

Edited by LaughingJack

Its not the devs job to cater to you.  They already have been catering too much lately.  You bought the product.  I hope you read the disclaimers.  There was no mention of guaranteed updates.  Shit happens.  Soon as you said  "I'm a gamer"  followed by "constant battle with the developer"  during the development phase.  I stopped reading.

You claim to have played the mod yet have no idea of the standalones progression, or the fact a roadmap was just revealed clearly outlining some amazing goals planned.

You complain about the engine, then say for BI to build upon the one tweaked for arma 2?

The engine goodies for DayZ we will be getting will give your eyes diabetes.

Here is an example.

Where do you get the idea that VBS3 graphics are coming to the DayZ SA?