crazyandlazy

Do you like that rubberbanding? Server chooses your position not your client

With the latest patch they changed it so that instead of your client[your game] choosing the position of player, the server chooses for you during desync.

With this in effect, desync or drop in bandwidth mean you will teleport back to where you started. Before, this never occured since the client chooses for you.

Do you like this change? The old version of client choosing the position did not give rise to rubber banding but it caused people to seem to teleport when they are in close proximity when running with desync.

Which is more annoying? Desync of other players that look like they are teleporting or desync/ rubber banding and having to go through the building over and over and over again?

• Like 1

Rubberbanding should occur. The client shouldn't tell the server what to do. The rubberbanding should drastically reduce after they lower the game's bandwidth requirements via "guaranteed messaging".

• Like 2

The rubberbanding should drastically reduce after they lower the game's bandwidth requirements via "guaranteed messaging".

We guarantee you'll rubber band :p 

• Like 3

It doesnt seem to make any sense. I can see my friend slingshot back 30 meters to where he was before....so the server is obviously telling my client where he is, then it changes its mind and warps him back. Can anyone explain this?

It doesnt seem to make any sense. I can see my friend slingshot back 30 meters to where he was before....so the server is obviously telling my client where he is, then it changes its mind and warps him back. Can anyone explain this?

Nope. Dean is busy having flashlights work during the daytime.

:lol:  :lol: :lol:  lol j/k. I sure hope this gets fixed but seeing the rate of how everything is going, I think SA won't be finished until at least 1 and a half years. 

Edited by CrazyandLazy
  • Like 2

It definitely causes issues, by putting you back on buildings while your sprinting out (school, police station, etc.) Although, I agree with what scriptfactory said, the client shouldn't be able to tell the server what it's doing.

The rubberbanding should drastically reduce after they lower the game's bandwidth requirements via "guaranteed messaging".

This.

And no, I don't like it (what a question....), it's annoying and just a bummer. But better teh server determines where I am, than the client. And as quoted before, I hope it will be reduced...a lot.  ^^

• Like 1

I have seen this as well. Unfortunately I have no theories on why does this occur, other than that it would seem the neither the server nor the client dictates where a given player is rubber banded to. Something else is clearly wrong.

With the latest patch they changed it so that instead of your client[your game] choosing the position of player, the server chooses for you during desync.

With this in effect, desync or drop in bandwidth mean you will teleport back to where you started. Before, this never occured since the client chooses for you.

Do you like this change? The old version of client choosing the position did not give rise to rubber banding but it caused people to seem to teleport when they are in close proximity when running with desync.

Which is more annoying? Desync of other players that look like they are teleporting or desync/ rubber banding and having to go through the building over and over and over again?

What do you mean they only just now made the servers do all of the work? I'm pretty damn sure that the only thing clients have been doing, is sending key strokes to the server right from the beginning. That was one of the things that delayed the release of the alpha, changing the engine to offload all of the processing to the server, instead of the clients doing all of the processing, like it used to in previous arma titles. The lag and desync is caused most likely by something else that they did to the server code very recently.

Or am I misinterpreting what you said and going on a rant for nothing?

Edited by TheSodesa

I have no issue's with it really. Yes I have to run out a building a few times but it's rare and the benefits outweigh the alternative. The code will get refined and it will get better.

I'm pretty sure it is caused by the method of reporting character position, trajectory and momentum. Think about it like this, the server isn't every single character location and animation at all times. It simply sends, on regular ticks, each character's current position, the direction the character is currently moving in and what speed he is running.

So when you see your friend slingshot your client is actually just getting updated with the current server position from your friend's character... which is 30 meters behind where your client thought it would be based on its last character position update. Sorry if I didn't explain it that well.

Edited by scriptfactory

I will explain it.   30 million dollars in revenue and we got 30 people bandaging a fucked up game that at this pace, wont be finished until 2020.  We are truly fucked.

I do not as it has got me killed

This.

Was zig-zaggging uphill away from 4 of the new zomBolts and got R/B'd back into the middle of them.

When it's not getting me killed, it's utterly immersion breaking to be dragged back 30-40 metres by an invisible hand.

There's more to it I think than just desync. (OK yes maybe some form of desync, but from where?)

I'm on a 100/100meg fiber line with crazy low pings (I average 8ms-10ms to anywhere in north america) - So client pipe isn't an issue.

I average 40-50FPS and smooth handling with less than 50% CPU - So client machine is most likely not an issue.

This leaves the server itself. I experience RBing solo on a server, or on a full server. Regardless of time of day since restart. Regardless of my character's items or equip.

I do notice that servers from some hosts, tend to be worse than others. Frag, vilayer, are among the worst, and multigame being the better.

My bet/money is this is based purely on server CPU/Load etc, rather than the communications between client and server.

High or low pings don't seem to make a difference either. (To an obvious point, at 600ms+ you're gonna have problems regardless)

Another big notch in the theory, is that many times the entire group that I'm with RBs at the same time. That's not client/server comms. That's the server itself taking a puke somewhere.

A crazy note.... I can actually "feel" (if that's a term) it in game play when a new client joins a server or quits just from the lag jitter/bubble they create just as they load into/outof the world. That's CPU/Load based as well.

All that to say, I don't think the RBing is coming from the way the server/client is relaying positions and telemetry, but rather something that was changed internally on how it handles or tracks all of that info.

I like when I leave a building, loot another next to it, then when I leave that second building and start sprinting to avoid the Zeds, I get teleported back into the 2nd floor of the 1st building I looted.

Epic immersion. 

• Like 1

I like when I leave a building, loot another next to it, then when I leave that second building and start sprinting to avoid the Zeds, I get teleported back into the 2nd floor of the 1st building I looted.

Epic immersion. 

feels like a dream. It's all fantasy.

• Like 1

Also if the server controls your players position, shouldnt that mean that hackers wont be able to teleport if they would have made one?

Yeah, I can explain (most likely, since I don't get to see the code itself, I'll be making a few assumptions). There are three positions you have (really a lot more, but conceptually three). Your Client. The Server. Another Client.

The same problem that exists between your client and the server to determine your positions occurs between your client and the server to determine someone else's position. Generally (here's the assumption), to keep animation somewhat smooth, your client will predict to some degree the position of others when it doesn't know for certain (if it only ever put them where the server says they are, you would get movement like being under a strobe light as this information isn't instantaneous).

So, the player's position can desync from the server position which can also desync from other clients rendering the player. If the client predicts movement (which is my guess as you get that player-running-to-nowhere thing happening, common in MMOs that do predictive movement, where not knowing the position it just keeps the animation running straight from the last data taken), then you get rubber-banding on both as the server always wins.

How is this just happening as of yesterday? I've been having problems with rubberbanding for months ....

How is this just happening as of yesterday? I've been having problems with rubberbanding for months ....

This is my experience too, though for me it is much worse since the last update on stable (and when this patch was on experimental). I am constantly teleported back fifteen or twenty feet, often inside buildings (often upstairs). Last night I was hiding in some bushes with a couple of friends while I went AFK, and while AFK my character apparently teleported in to the middle of a road just waiting to get killed.

This is my experience too, though for me it is much worse since the last update on stable (and when this patch was on experimental). I am constantly teleported back fifteen or twenty feet, often inside buildings (often upstairs). Last night I was hiding in some bushes with a couple of friends while I went AFK, and while AFK my character apparently teleported in to the middle of a road just waiting to get killed.

A lot has to do with your internet. If you read the patch notes, they implemented a new system where server side chooses your position. Not the client. Hence the increase in rubberbanding.

A lot has to do with your internet. If you read the patch notes, they implemented a new system where server side chooses your position. Not the client. Hence the increase in rubberbanding.

I don't think it's that, I'm on fibre and I get like 20ms ping to most servers I use. I do run a TS3 server simultaneously, but only for a couple of people averaging 5KB/s each. Whatever they have changed I am hoping the guaranteed messaging alleviates it.

Edited by DarkwaveDomina