Canned Muffins

Crossbow being effective

We know the crossbow is returning and I think we should talk about how we want it implemented,how effective it is as a viable weapon,and talk about its loot table position.

Quiver attached to system has 4 bolts on the latest screen shot of the crossbow. So one loaded and 4 for fast reload. I do hope we are given quivers or storage place for stacks of arrows in a more reasonable manner than the mod. I would like a quiver to possibly hold 10-20 bolts and not have that basically absorb all your storage inventory.

Effectiveness of the crossbow should reflect the fact that it is used to hunt big game at times and was used as a weapon against humans for centuries. Getting hit in the legs will put a person on the ground landing one in the chest will end their life. For range lets say about 100 meters is its effective killing range. Zeds and players should be easily dispatched at this range and the stopping power of the bolts should be showcased. This weapon should be the silent death in the game used for hunting food or players. 

Bolts should be recoverable as claimed to be by Rocket and as for wear and tear of these bolts it really shouldn't be tremendous unless you missed a squishy target and hit steel and hard concrete. As for abundance of bolts and the crossbow itself I would have to say it would be fairly common in wilderness areas,barns, and hunter stands.

Attachments I can foresee being quivers and optics and thats fine. I hope we see a much better version than we did with the bug monster we saw in the mod. Something with some balls would be much appreciated.

• Like 10

I've never heard of a crossbow shooting 100m before! Would that be an arcing shot, where you've angled up considerably to compensate for drop or is the common crossbow powerful enough that you don't need to angle much?

Are guys sure you want a cross bow?  We can expect zero percent chance we will see arrows sticking into your victims, especially where you shot for hit detection.   Zombies bodies disappear at the instant of kill.   You will have no sense of immersion or satisfaction of bow hunting.

It's a crossbow its gonna be useless against guns.

No amount of fake tweaks will change this.

For all you that will begin to claim "but daryl"

The show is full of crap, if Daryl was put out in a real non made up survival NROL situation he would have died to a person wielding a gun right away.

• Like 4

It's a crossbow its gonna be useless against guns.

No amount of fake tweaks will change this.

For all you that will begin to claim "but daryl"

The show is full of crap, if Daryl was put out in a real non made up survival NROL situation he would have died to a person wielding a gun right away.

Almost silent = ambush king.

They can't shoot you if they are already dead.

• Like 4

Crossbows are not nearly as effective as a centrefire hunting rifle, they have the hunting rifle's range or its wounding and "stopping power". They kill primarily by the sharp broadheads cutting and causing blood loss.

It's not a hunting rifle which instantly turns chest cavities to jello, it fires arrows at low speeds. It's a well-known fact that crossbows simply do not have the instant shock and killing power of modern rifles. Arrows cause death by bleeding or suffocation.

I don't want to see the crossbow turned into a one-shot wonder for "balancing purposes".

I'm not saying it should be weak - it should easily be able to kill people in a single shot, but so should any other gun. It should not always result in instant death, players should often bleed out.

What is the difference between a gun and a bow and arrow hit? Unlike a bullet hit, Roux explains, "When a deer is hit with a broadhead, many times he doesn't know he's hit, he just knows something is wrong. There is no adrenalin surge associated. The deer weakens from blood loss and lies down.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/articles/deer/heartorlungs/

• Like 2

It's probably going to be a hunting crossbow, which realistically, would be effective out to about 65-70m (and that's pushing it a bit) assuming you are an expert and have a really nice xbow.

In other words, similar to the effective range that a pistol currently (though unrealistically, especially for the 357) has right now.

Medieval Crossbow != Modern Hunting Crossbow.

Gameplay-wise it will likely make an excellent close range assassination weapon, and useful hunting weapon once animals are added.

Edited by fig0451

Almost silent = ambush king.

They can't shoot you if they are already dead.

Any gun is an ambush king. They can't hear your gunshots if you blow off their head and by extension, their ears.

• Like 4

Any gun is an ambush king. They can't hear your gunshots if you blow off their head and by extension, their ears.

And then their friend turns your hiding place into swiss cheese.

A twang and then a death means they have no idea where you are. So long as you aren't a retard that runs immediately to the dead body.

heres a video on how far the crossbow can shoot about roughly.

AND i think the crossbow SHOULD NOT be a one shot kill, to the chest or anywhere, only the head, the crossbow, like someone else said, should be for "ambush/sneak kings" of this game. only then should it really be effective on players. but hunting with the crossbow should defiantly have benefits.

Edited by over9000nukez
  • Like 2

Screw cross-bows

I want a real mans bow.

a Compound. That is what I have hunted with for years and that is what I would like in the Game!

• Like 3

I was going to post the exact same thing. If you see a guy and pull the trigger, do they think he's going to react in a split second and deflect the bullet with his ninja-like reflexes because he heard the shot?

i lol'd

• Like 1

Screw cross-bows

I want a real mans bow.

a Compound. That is what I have hunted with for years and that is what I would like in the Game!

Any and all bolt/arrow/rock propelling devices will be welcomed into the game by me.

• Like 2

I was going to post the exact same thing. If you see a guy and pull the trigger, do they think he's going to react in a split second and deflect the bullet with his ninja-like reflexes because he heard the shot?

i lol'd

What if you miss? He hears a bang, he is still alive, he might kill you.

He may have friends.

There may be other unknown people in the area.

There may be zombies.

All of these are less of an issue if your weapon is almost as quiet as a mouse farting.

• Like 3

What if you miss? He hears a bang, he is still alive, he might kill you.

He may have friends.

There may be other unknown people in the area.

There may be zombies.

All of these are less of an issue if your weapon is almost as quiet as a mouse farting.

Either way, if you miss you're fscked, gun or crossbow. I can only imagine how horrible an experience trying to hit someone zig-zagging in this game would be with a bolt when it's hard enough hitting them with a bullet.

I just want the crossbow to be realistic.

No bullshit arcade or unrealistic game mechanics added in just to make the crossbow useful in game.

If a crossbow is useless against guns in real life it should be completely useless in game.

I don't wana see any unrealistic super fast crossbow reloads, no insanely powerful one hit kills , no laser fast bolts, no gravity defying shots.

Treat it like a crossbow and thats it.

Yea im ok with 30 second reloads for crossbows.

Edited by gibonez

I wanna cut ears from my victims, so i could count how much i've hunted

• Like 2

I have absolutely no interest in the crossbow.  In fact I have a hard time believing the devs would waste time adding it.

Can we get some useful weapons please... no more .22's and crossbows.

By the way, the average big game shot with a crossbow is around 25-30 yards so 100+ yard shots is a joke as is talking about the number of bolts in a quiver since a crossbows rate of fire is about 1 shot per minute 

I have absolutely no interest in the crossbow.  In fact I have a hard time believing the devs would waste time adding it.

The crossbow isn't useless at all if you know how to avoid ppl or sneak up to them. Also why does everybody think of it as a primary replacement? When tents are implemented put it there and just use it for hunting in the woods and if your done get your rifle back, simple as that. :) 

• Like 1

Screw cross-bows

I want a real mans bow.

Well, they are adding that as well.

As for ammunition, I want a quiver for both the crossbow and the bow that you can equip. It would work kind of like a gun holster and it would take that slot in the equipment menu.

I would like to have some reality in it like - quiver and a big mountain backpack can't be together on the back, that would be a bit stupid to have a quiver inside the backpack and to take arrow after arrow from it. Arrows damaging after they hit targets which may damage the arrows. Optics for the crossbow would be nice and there will be but honestly? Who needs it if the range is ~100m. Overall I think it is a nice + for the game because the crossbow is more or less a silent weapon with deadly power on a small range. You don't attract the zombs, players won't hear you shooting, but the arrow should tell from where it came ofc.

• Like 1

I would take a compound bow over a rifle any day.

• Like 1

By the way, the average big game shot with a crossbow is around 25-30 yards so 100+ yard shots is a joke as is talking about the number of bolts in a quiver since a crossbows rate of fire is about 1 shot per minute 

the .22s are useful zombie plinkers. Hell I killed two people with a Amphibia S yesterday, one had an M4 the other rushed me with an axe and I didn't have time to Mosin him.

Infact, if you're looking for a sneaky weapon, I'd take the silenced .22 Amphibia S over a crossbow anytime.

The case for the Sportster 22 is even easier to make, if a server is picked clean you could do far worse than grab one, if you dump a few rounds into someone at 50 meters, they'll go down fine just like with the m4.

Don't turn your nose up at them if you're running around without a gun and don't underestimate someone with one, or you'll regret it.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit

I just want the crossbow to be realistic.

No bullshit arcade or unrealistic game mechanics added in just to make the crossbow useful in game.

If a crossbow is useless against guns in real life it should be completely useless in game.

I don't wana see any unrealistic super fast crossbow reloads, no insanely powerful one hit kills , no laser fast bolts, no gravity defying shots.

Treat it like a crossbow and thats it.

Yea im ok with 30 second reloads for crossbows.

A person can load and arm a crossbow faster than 30 seconds and a cross bow can drop big game and humans in 1 to 2 bolts. This has been the case for cross bows going back ages we have versions that are huge and slow to operate  but are basically harpoon guns or you have the faster reloading ones that pack a little less punch. The even had semi automatic crossbows with a magazine of 10 or so bolts if we are going to be talking strictly about realism. Hell why not even say that technically we can poison arrows and have explosive tipped ones. The weapon system is effective even against firearms because it is silent and because it is powerful. This weapon is no .22 its a big lethal bolt entering your body  causing massive trauma. If you shoot something in the lungs and chest cavity expect to see that target drop from drowning in its own blood in probably a minute or so. Its not going to be moving fast or far after being hit either. We do have this as a game however so we will see how effective it really is. I am saying 1-2 bolts will drop zeds and players alike to a maximum of 100 meters effectiveness. 75-80 will be its optimum effective range but 100 will take compensation and most likely elevation. To be clear people using a crossbow will likely be using this around 50 meters most times seeing as this is where most firefights happen especially in urban areas. They just have to ability to hit targets further out if they are skilled enough to do so.

Edited by Canned Muffins

I've never heard of a crossbow shooting 100m before! Would that be an arcing shot, where you've angled up considerably to compensate for drop or is the common crossbow powerful enough that you don't need to angle much?

When I think of crossbows shooting extremely long distances, I also think of standing on a battlement while wearing a kettle helmet and a mail surcoat. I just really hope that the bows in this game don't wind up being superior PvP weapons to firearms in anyway, because... they're not.

• Like 1