Jex

What do you think full modding support will do to DayZ

Rocket said in the roadmap that they're going to let the community "run with it" when it came to modding the game, citing the MOD as an example of what has been done. If I remember correctly this led to very few people playing the original MOD for things like Epoch, Origins, etc. 

So now it's pretty much been confirmed, what do you think about this?

• Like 1

I think it's a bad idea.

Something like DayZ is a multiplayer game with a set idea for it, and when you let people make their little subcultures, it gets ruined. 

• Like 2

And I will drive 1000 cars and I will drive 1000 more.  Just to be the man who drove 1000 cars and I'll drive 1000 more

• Like 5

I joined one namalsk server that was Epoch one time, i spawned beside 2 helis with guns just laying everywhere.

I hope they dont let the community mod it like that.

• Like 3

Probably ruin it.

I love modding, but it hemorrhaged players from the vanilla experience into ridiculous mods which bore little to no resemblance to DayZ as it was intended.

• Like 6

I think it's a bad idea.

Something like DayZ is a multiplayer game with a set idea for it, and when you let people make their little subcultures, it gets ruined. 

but what about people did with epoch, origins etc...they turned dayz into something more then just run and gun in some ways. I have a friend who is a game dav by day then by night he works on other projects. I introduced him to dayz and he loves it, when i told him about what dean hall said about the modding communtiuy the first thing he said was 'DayZ UK'. there are so many people out there with great ideas but it would take to much time for dean and the team to impliment everything they ask for, so thats why dean said he will let people run with it.

All and all i think its a awesome idea, having different varies of dayz will be cool and will be awesome to see what people will produce. :)

• Like 3

but what about people did with epoch, origins etc...they turned dayz into something more then just run and gun in some ways. I have a friend who is a game dav by day then by night he works on other projects. I introduced him to dayz and he loves it, when i told him about what dean hall said about the modding communtiuy the first thing he said was 'DayZ UK'. there are so many people out there with great ideas but it would take to much time for dean and the team to impliment everything they ask for, so thats why dean said he will let people run with it.

All and all i think its a awesome idea, having different varies of dayz will be cool and will be awesome to see what people will produce. :)

Hey, modding is usually good, but think of it this way:

If competitive Counter Strike was given up in favor of gungame mods and surfing, do you think CS would be at all the game it is now? 

Actually, you have it backwards.  They turned DayZ into a run n' gun game.  

What speaks against modding? If you dont like it, dont play it. It's as easy as it gets.

On the other hand, if there is something missing on the SA you would like to have, you can always look for a mod that has it. Like more RPG elements or more PVP or what do i know. You can have features without ruining the original idea. And modding brings great ideas that maybe could be added to the SA as well. If it makes sense and does not ruin the main idea of DayZ (Surviving-Sim).

And if there are fewer people playing the SA in the end, what is the problem with that? There will be less server so you wouldn't even care if there are 1 million or 5000 people playing simultaniously.

greeets

(sry if my english is not that perfect :D)

• Like 4

Maybe they could mod DayZ Standalone into a zombie survival game like someone did with ArmA II?

• Like 2

Hello there

I dont have an issue with folk making the game into what they want.

What i *DO* want is a better filter system so I can fine my beloved vanilla servers.

The main reason *we* DAYZ players are loathed by many of the Arma community is due to the fact we swamped thier sever lists, an improved list system would help alleviate that becoming an issue again.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 7

I acknowledge that there are really good modders out there who create unique experiences in Dayz.

The problem with that is that people are not pure in their modding practices, proven in the mod.

I was playing epoch with some of my friends and we ended up dying because a man (who we assume was friends with an admin). Was sweeping the map with a fully functional Apache helicopter, he/she killed every single person in our group.

also, unrelated, we had all our gold and briefcases taken by a hacker in the mod -_-

Hello there

What i *DO* want is a better filter system so I can fine my beloved vanilla servers.

The main reason *we* DAYZ players are loathed by many of the Arma community is due to the fact we swamped thier sever lists, an improved list system would help alleviate that becoming an issue again.

Rgds

LoK

Pretty much this.

If we could have a populated "vanilla" community, with sub modes like 1'st person only for example, nothing major, then yeah, as long as you can't see mod servers without mods if you don't want to and vice versa, it's good. 

Modding is good, and lets people make the game to what they want, but if the vanilla game dies out and no better alternative is given (!!!!) then it's bad.

• Like 1

I acknowledge that there are really good modders out there who create unique experiences in Dayz.

The problem with that is that people are not pure in their modding practices, proven in the mod.

I was playing epoch with some of my friends and we ended up dying because a man (who we assume was friends with an admin). Was sweeping the map with a fully functional Apache helicopter, he/she killed every single person in our group.

also, unrelated, we had all our gold and briefcases taken by a hacker in the mod -_-

I can see where your coming from but that was a admins fault for not good practice

• Like 1

I hope the community comes up with some amazing mod ideas but my gut feeling is it's primarily going to result in most people playing dumbed down versions of the game where they spawn with end game weapons, vehicles and bases, at least initially.

I just hope servers running mods are listed separately (under a different tab) in the server browser so it isn't a huge mess trying to find actual DayZ servers. 

Left4Dead as an example:

custom.jpg

• Like 4

I like games left in their original state. I can't think of one modified game I've enjoyed. But, people will go wherever they can get guns and vehicles faster, so as soon as someone releases...

DAYZ:SA US#1 | SELF-BLOODBAG | VEHICLE ON SPAWN | INDESTRUCTIBLE BASES | FAST BUILD | SUBSCRIBERS PERKS

...the game we've all come to love on one level or another will slowly bleed to death and die. :T

Edited by Grimey Rick
  • Like 3

I'm fearful it will just be the DayZ mod all over again. Vanilla and all the difficulty (hardcore included) will vanish and yet again it will de-evolve into a subpar deathmatch game with zombies.

The problem is that this community just can't control itself and doesn't actually seem to really care about the survivor horror elements (despite what they say). Server providers will encourage it because they only care about traffic and it will just spiral out of control again.

• Like 3

I hope the community comes up with some amazing mod ideas but my gut feeling is it's primarily going to result in most people playing dumbed down versions of the game where they spawn with end game weapons, vehicles and bases, at least initially.

I just hope servers running mods are listed separately (under a different tab) in the server browser so it isn't a huge mess trying to find actual DayZ servers.

Also, I feel abusing the amount of vehicle and weapon spawns and spawning with weapons should be controlled to an extent.

After all, we already spawn with, in my opinion, the third best melee in the game.

tl;dr: Fist OP!

Hello there

One has to remember that many folk do NOT want the game Dean is making.

And thats fine.

The rest of us will find a happy medium, but as has been pointed out, this wont happen until after release AFAIK.

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 2

Hello there

Rgds

LoK

Certainly a better browser system is needed - dayz currently isn't so good but I'd rather not have a seperate browser liek dayz commander so I hope they have a system to download whatever mod via the game instead of going outside it.

I'm not a big fan of opening it up to the community myself - it seems to me in many ways it ruined the game. Rather than being excited about what the dev team were going to make next on the official mod, we had so many mods to play they all blurred into one and it wasn't exciting.

DayZ right now is exciting because we don't know what's coming in the next patch - having 20 different versions dampens the whole experience but it's coming and by the looks of things, they're not putting any brakes on it.

• Like 1

I like games left in their original state. I can't think of one modified game I've enjoyed. But, people will go wherever they can get guns and vehicles faster, so as soon as someone releases...

DAYZ:SA US#1 | SELF-BLOODBAG | VEHICLE ON SPAWN | INDESTRUCTIBLE BASES | FAST BUILD | SUBSCRIBERS PERKS | SPAWN WITH GUN | SUICIDE OPTION FOR BETTER SPAWN |SPAWN WITH BICYCLE | 1000+ Heli crashes |

Added some other BS I saw in the mod.

Hello there

But are we not being overly elitist as some of the Arma community were?

Without modding NONE of you would be here today.

Perhaps someone will come up with an even better idea based on the mod?

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Hello there

One has to remember that many folk do NOT want the game Dean is making.

And thats fine.

The rest of us will find a happy medium, but as has been pointed out, this wont happen until after release AFAIK.

Rdgs

LoK

I'm not sure I care what other people think. What I mean is, there have been some legendary games made by people in the past that have been the product of their imagination. Even those games you'd find people wanting this and that and whatever which would ruin the original classic, or cheapen it if that makes sense. 

These devs just made the game they wanted and seeing what happened with the mod, i'm not sure it's going to turn out well. Guess we'l lfind out.

Rocket said in the roadmap that they're going to let the community "run with it" when it came to modding the game, citing the MOD as an example of what has been done. If I remember correctly this led to very few people playing the original MOD for things like Epoch, Origins, etc. 

So now it's pretty much been confirmed, what do you think about this?

Ruin it.

• Like 1