qww

motorcycle helmet view and sound restrictions

motorcycle helmet view restriction  

41 members have voted

1. 1. do you think motorcycle helmet view restriction would be a good idea?

irl your view is restricted in a motorcycle helmet, and it would be cool to see that letterbox view and also side view restriction, and look up/down restriction.

(maybe same type of thing would apply with gas mask, or any headgear)

would love to see this in the game somehow.

post-198593-0-19025200-1396763869_thumb.

this 1st pic would be standard view looking forward,(player is crouched in pic)

post-198593-0-71011500-1396763857_thumb.

this second pic would be looking over your left shoulder using alt, (player is crouched in pic)

looking up or down would slightly increase the border size on top or bottom of screen,

alt look should also be decreased, with motorcycle helmet, you should not be able to turn your head so far around,

it should not be possible to sprint for long wearing motorcycle helmet, or it should deyhdrate you faster

also hearing should be reduced or muffled, and breathing sound should be increased or changed with an effect to make it sound as it would.

Edited by qww
  • Like 6

ah yeah, what you said about sunglasses would be good aswell, also i guess that woudl apply with tinted helmet visor, etc. cool.

thanks for the votes so far, it would be nice if the people who vote no, could explain why they think its a bad idea?

i cant think why anyone would vote no, so let me know your thoughts,

Edited by qww

because they offer some protection from melee attack, irl and in game. Although that is not the point, i feel that that protection should come with a cost.

they provide a view restriction, and i feel that should be fully represented in game.  Added protection, reduced vision, as would be the case in reality.

the balance should be there, and for many 1st person players it woudl add more immersion, more paranoia, more care, etc, i cant think of a negative effect it would bring, except to players who woudl find it too difficult to deal with,  but i think those players woudl generally play on 3rd person mode,

anyway, you didnt bother explaining why you downvoted, ? why do you think it would be a bad idea?

But what makes the motobike helmet and gas masks good enough to justify a restriction on them?

Put a gasmask on to test it out {i mean in real life} very hard to see in them and very hard to breath in them when running {personal experience}

Put a gasmask on to test it out {i mean in real life} very hard to see in them and very hard to breath in them when running {personal experience}

Ya, but then a lot of less people would use masks

but that's realism...even rocket said that in rezzed that he aims towards more realism

Why not it's only realism, I would also like to see a darker screen with less glare when wearing sun glasses.

Should be similar stuff with burlap sacks and masks and other stuff.

There was a great reddit thread with lots of great example images, damaged helmet visors also has the cracks too.

• Like 1

In real life people would find wearing a full face helmet all day uncomfortable.

In the game, people wouldn't enjoy loosing a slight amount of peripheral vision.

It's nice and authentic.

I voted No, i think it is not necessary and also they are weaker then other things, also everyone rushes a Ballistic Helmet, what is really not rare. So yeah i think it is not needed and also mostly newer players play with it, who then have even more problems. There are other things that would be more important.

I would like to see functioning hud overlays for most headwear.  Nothing crazy.  Project Nevada for fallout does it very tastefully.  Especially for sunglasses.

I voted No, i think it is not necessary and also they are weaker then other things, also everyone rushes a Ballistic Helmet, what is really not rare. So yeah i think it is not needed and also mostly newer players play with it, who then have even more problems. There are other things that would be more important.

I have never rushed a ballistic helmet, I've always either had a hat I liked or a motorbike helmet to protect from punches.

its obvious that they're weaker than balistic helmet, and im sure balistic helmet will become rarer as the game progresses.

correct, a newly spawned player is more likely to wear a motorcycle helmet, or someone who is running around a coastal town.

apart from your reasons of "its not necessary" and "its not needed" your main reason is that you think it would be too difficult, although this game you are playing is about problems, challenge, survival.

myself and many other players want that level of difficulty and challenge, and having no restriction to the view feels unrealitisic, in a "realism" game.

also, what could be more important that having a realistic first person viewpoint?

I would like to see functioning hud overlays for most headwear.  Nothing crazy.  Project Nevada for fallout does it very tastefully.  Especially for sunglasses.

ive never played that game, but i agree that every item of clothing/headwear should have the correct view perspective.

I have never rushed a ballistic helmet, I've always either had a hat I liked or a motorbike helmet to protect from punches.

right, i usually wear a camo scarf or hat

Edited by qww

Why not it's only realism, I would also like to see a darker screen with less glare when wearing sun glasses.

Should be similar stuff with burlap sacks and masks and other stuff.

There was a great reddit thread with lots of great example images, damaged helmet visors also has the cracks too.

i see, yeah, damage to visor would be cool effect, although removing  a cracked visor might be more beneficial.

• Like 1

I also think that even when not wearing a mask or anything obscuring view that adding a slight distortion to the corners giving them a more rounded instead of sharp edged look, simulated centre of the brow and nose distortion would completely remove the need for anyone to require a cross-hair to be in tune with the centre of their vision.

Funny you should mention this I wore a helmet for the first time the other day and instantly thought my view should be restricted.

Same goes for gas masks but before that's done, gas masks need a use in world so the lack of vision gives a bonus for breathing clean air.

Instead of view restriction, I would suggest action restriction :

Not able to consume anything while wearing motorcycle helmet (cannot eat, drink). Restriction should also apply to face mask.

Not able to switch in "optic view" with magnyfing scopes (PU,LRS,ACOG) and so not able to use goggle, since it require your eye close to lens.

I like JiJi's suggestion too, not instead. 3rd person restrictions could also be applied in the same way as wound/poison/sickness?

Instead of view restriction, I would suggest action restriction :

Not able to consume anything while wearing motorcycle helmet (cannot eat, drink). Restriction should also apply to face mask.

Not able to switch in "optic view" with magnyfing scopes (PU,LRS,ACOG) and so not able to use goggle, since it require your eye close to lens.

instead of?

action restriction would be good, but i dont understand why you think it should be instead of view restricion.

Because both (view+action) restrictions would be too cumbersome IMHO.

ok so first you suggest action restriction woudl be better than view restriction, then when i ask why, you reply that its because both would be too cumbersome?

if i do  undersdtand you, you are now saying that you dont want any restrictions when wearing motorcycle helmet at all, because you would find it too difficult to see around you, and you you are against the idea? ok.

anyway, in a car game i wana see the car around me, flight game i wana be in the cockpit, i think this game is about dealing with a realistic(as much as possible) environment, and making choices with consequences, such as, "do i want the added protection/reduced visibility that a moto helmet offers"

Edited by qww