Sign in to follow this  
Garberro

Black Powder's Hunting Rifles

BlackPowder  

13 members have voted

1. 1. In your opinion its good idea?

• Yes.
    • No.

I have idea to add blackpowder weapons, like rifles and carbines from XIX century, like Volunteer, Sharps, Hawken, Gallager, Gibs or Kentucky Rifle.  At the time of the apocalypse would rather use perrcusion Hawken than M4,  because after half a year since the collapse of civilization ammunition and weapons will be very rare, but making lead bullets and acquiring, creating black powder would be easily obtained, lead bullets xan be crafting from weel wights, and many other thing. Weapons would be shared on a flintlock and percussion caps of which about caps ( caps ) would be difficult however to offer greater efficiency. flint already are , simply add the processing of flint with a hammer and now. then people would be seriously debated whether or not to consume ammo on people whether it is better to leave hardly captured powder and safe for self defense. Other new guns and ammo should be more rare and hard to find. This would be a dilemma between a BP rifle with full of ammo easy to make and find (but easy to spot after shot, laud and slow loading), or Colt M4 with a max 4/5 bullets...

Sorry i use a google-translate, because i don't know how to write this, im better know old weapons than writing in en.  

Edit: 

How should it works, and how to craft ammo? ---->

Weights + kettle + cooker = molten lead in the pot 

The molten lead in the pot + form = bullet depending on the version of the form and type of weapons (pistol / revolver or rifle) 

A large firecracker + knife / screwdriver / machete = Gunpowder Black 

Flint + hammer / pliers = Rocks 

Little Firecracker + Coke cans = caps  

The next step is a combination of ammunition or blanks in the example: 

bullet + powder = set to fire (using like magazine)

And depending on the model gun as mandatory equipment (like scope,bipod) have used would be either rocks or percussion caps.

If somebody thing this weapon is piece of c**p then should see video when sharpshooters use BP Voluntieer .451cal rifles at very long range (more than 1 mile).

Edited by Garberro
  • Like 3

I would like to see homemade weapons

• Like 1

I think  a lot of people would like to see homemade weapons but they would all have to be different and use certain types of ammo ect.

Homemade weapons is other question, i think abaut cheap an easy to make ammo.  In life after apocalipse, better have blackpowder gun than new military gun, you can't make 5,56 bullet.  (ok you can elaborate ammunition but you need tools, and still you need nitro powder).  And here we have BP guns, easy to make and find BP. Easy to make bullets :)  

Black powder rifles can't be used for shit. They're highly inaccurate irl.

Muskets yes... but rifles from end of XIX not.  

Look this video:  

I shot from my Volunteer at long range contest, at range more than 300meters (without scope).  But my friend shot on 600m and more :)   

This is very good weapons, and what you do after few years when all new types of ammo will gone?  

Edited by Garberro
  • Like 1

^^^todays blackpowder and muzzleloading guns will drive tacks at 200 yards

Today in EU contests sharpshoters shoting on 1000m range, using guns from 18xx year  (Mauser 1857, Springfield 1861, Zouave 1863, Volunteer) And not a 0.22 sports cal, but .451 .50 :)

Edited by Garberro

camo-pistol-kit-main-1024x341.jpg

That looks like a bag of respectable size - how big must that gun then be?

Hello there

I think the bag has been photoshopped smaller. Otherwise.....

Rdgs

LoK

oh and...

a modern 6 shooter

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

I have one Navy like this on video :)   But in Sheriff wersion whit 5,5 long barrel and .45 caliber   (in Avatar)

I told this guns is great option to DayZ   :)

Edit: 55286746361607065675_thumb.jpg

Optima is good producer, make hunting weapons (In USA black powder shoters can hunt longer than normal guns), but i know better and more precise guns :)  

Edited by Garberro

Hello there

Here's a "how to" to make your own paper carts.

Now, I know how to make the ball and hopefully the paper would be available from abandoned newsagents, but how does one obtain the actual black powder from the environment?

Rgds

LoK

EDIT: aaaah fireworks etc.

Dont forget one could use the old chimneys as drop towers to make quality lead shot.

Edited by orlok
  • Like 1

Just add, firecrackers :)   Flars, or bootles inginering explosives (looted in industrials)... 

I buying this black powder i Czech :P  

http://www.progun.cz/img/p/50047-445-thickbox.jpg

Or Crafting:

A large petard + knife / screwdriver / machete = Gunpowder Black 
Flint + hammer / pliers = Rocks 
Little petard + Coke cans = percusion caps
Edited by Garberro
  • Like 1

Hello there

I dont know if its possible in real life, but it would be nice to "open" found ammo to use the contained powder within to scrounge.

Rgds

LoK

Its possible, petards have black powder inside ;)     My dad are gunsmith, long time ago he taking powder from petards, because powder in gunshops was illegal. :P

Edited by Garberro

I would love the idea of powder firearms, I own some myself. The problem I see though is where you would find the black powder, because I would consider it more of a specialty item. It's not like black powder is just laying around every where but I really like the idea of this.

• Like 1

Hmm shops, police stations, industrials.   But chance to find 1kg Vesuvit should be like 5/10%.  Just add petard to houses, shops, school (kids, new year... etc)... and 1kg bootles to industrials, firestations.  In all city, i can find kilograms of black powder then in game this should be any problem. 

Sometimes elaborate a black powder shells, because you can't use nitro powder (elaborating nitro is illegal), and cost is 50% less than buying new bullets. In WWII Mosins,use black powder in shells (lesser cost), in Afganistan, Syria  rebeliants use this metod to this day; P     This is 3 method to find powder. 

Just craft powder from Mosin bullets, or other old types of ammo (but normal ammo should be f...n rare, i say f...n! rare.)  :P

Now you see 3 methods. 

1. Find

2. Craft (petards, etc)

3. Craft from old bullets

Edited by Garberro

Hello there

We have to remember that concessions have to be made in terms of realism. So whilst for many of us BP isnt easily available nor are the plethora of ammo and weapons that are in game in many places.

So "getting" BP from pre existing flares and ammo etc would be a fun way of scavenging, as well as occasionally finding "pure BP" occasionally.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 3

Smokeless powder is nitrolized cellulose, which is flash powder, and another thing I can't recall. This is made from essentially exposing cellulose to nitric acid. This is not black powder. Do not put smokeless powder into a black powder gun. It can't handle it. The powder burns faster. Grain size and composition of powder can influence rate of burn, which needs to fit the length of the barrel. Powders are made so all of the powder, more or less exactly, it used by the end of the barrel. Excess barrel length does not create greater accuracy, but it can slow down a bullet if the powder was already burned early on in the barrel. I had a a converter cartridge which allowed me to fire .32 auto ammo out of a rifle. The length of the barrel slowed down the pistol ammo so that I couldn't even puncture a powerade bottle. But it did thump it.

Note: I looked it up, the flashpowder is gelatinized in an alcohol-ether mixture, and stabilized with amyl alcohol. There you go. Why can't this be made after an apocalypse? The source of the cellulose is just cotton. I got good marks in orgo, why not? :P

• Like 1

Yeah, so is a petard like a Kag? Also I'm not saying its impossible but have to make sure you don't use smokeless powder.

Edit: I also think having BP weapon would lead to a more hunting/surviving feel, which is a good thing.

Edited by kingrex
  • Like 1

Hello there

Here's a little more info on making your own powders wads etc.

Dont try this in real life, kids.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 2

I don't thing abaut flash powder (but it some method), but abaut gunpowder... in some types of petards is still in use, in old types of petard   :)

13622926154168136600_thumb.jpg

It's good part of scavenge/survive, better than M4/M16 in all house ;)

Nice to see and use this gun whit BP system in game:  Colt Root   (Root wos bad weapon in real life, because shoters sometimes lose his hands but in game should work).

57780170436322685660_thumb.jpg

I keep thinking in terms of convenience and what it is. And how that can be easily added to the game.

Edited by Garberro
  • Like 1

I hope somebody in developers think abaut this, because this is nice sugestion to balance game, and it will increase immersion:)

Modern blackpowder hunting weapons: 

01589119986235653905.jpg

72283127564813367918.jpg

20570345714280964944.jpg

03528962922332213038.jpg

Edited by Garberro

UP.  New poll added to first post, i want see opinion other players abaut this muzzleloading and crafting system.