vile.

Very simple fix for Ghosting and Hopping

While server-hopping is not nearly as much of an issue as it used to be with the new timers, it still is very much possible 

to do so any many people do.

Instead of just staying in one building and hopping every 30 seconds, they now cover a wider area so the timers dont hit them as hard.

So basically, for example on the NEAF, hoppers will just log in in  the western prison, clear all the buildings and log out in the eastern prison, rinse repeat.

Another, issue, which imho is much more important is ghosting.

This also got harder with the timers and the 30 second logout dummy, but for players who are in a team this is still being abused a lot.

Some group is camping in a building you can't storm? Just have 2 of yours log out, switch, and log in behind them somewhere.

Takes longer than it used to, but otherwise this is still possible and people still abuse it.

So heres my suggestion how  to fix this:

Just like the 30 second logout dummy to prevent Combat Log, add a 30 second login "dummy".

Basically all the devs would have to do is to add a 30 second state of "unconsciousness" after joining a server, where you cannot control your character at all and cant see.

And 30 seconds after you have logged in, you are good to go.

This should be very easy to implement, and in combination with the login "reload" sound would make any attempt to ghost suicidal, because nearby players 

will hear that you logged in behind them, and then have 30 seconds to kill you before you can react.

On top of fixing the ghosting abuse, it would also make server hopping significantly more risky.

This should be easy to implement for the devs, and is only a minor annoyance for legit players.

You already have to find a safe spot to log out now anyway, so the only players affected by this are the ones who do so in high risk areas.

It would also prevent server hopping snipers, from going on a low-pop server, climbing the highest building in the area, and then switch to a full one.

Unless they like standing on the highest building in town for 30 seconds for everyone to see.

• Like 3

Login zed deaths for everyone! 

For real though, you say its a 'minor annoyance' for legit players, but it would be punishing them more than the ghosters. I don't even see how it's possible to ghost still, people really stay pinned down for that long? Shit, I'd just log out and say I'm done with it if people were taking that long to come kill me.

• Like 4

so the 30 seconds while you are logging in you are "unconscious" someone can kill you just like the zeds can, so how is that fair?

Loot respawn and when you log into a server you are locked to that server for a complete cycle of day/night and server hopping stops. People also server hop when playing hero/bandit role as well as just gearing up. Being locked to a server for a cycle alone would stop hopping but without loot respawn would still be a game of getting on a fresh server first, gearing out and waiting in the hot spots for others to come for gear.

Just no, simply because I dont want to log in, and not being able to control my char for 30 sec, you can be sure that all is clear when you log out, but you cant when you log in.

And what if I lose my connection/server goes down when Im in the middle of a town?

As I have previously stated, only private hives will save us from server hoppers and ghosters.

• Like 3

How would you get killed by zeds if you log out in a safe place?

Same goes for players.

Unless you log out in the middle of a city this should be a non-issue.

• Like 1

Just no, simply because I dont want to log in, and not being able to control my char for 30 sec, you can be sure that all is clear when you log out, but you cant when you log in.

And what if I lose my connection/server goes down when Im in the middle of a town?

As I have previously stated, only private hives will save us from server hoppers and ghosters.

Fair enough, unless server stability and uptime improves a blanket 30 second timer would be a bad idea for this reason alone.

Hadn't thought of that.

Disregard then. ;)

• Like 3

Same goes for players.

people drag zeds to the woods all the time - haven't you encountered that funny little group of zeds in the woods before?? I have.

Same goes for players.

I went AFK on some remote hill once. Came back two minutes later and I was dead to the sound of a zombie squeezing out a turd on my corpse.

Plus the aggro range of zombies is immense. If they catch a glimpse of you when you're logging in you can bet that they'll lose their shit. It would mean that you'd have to log out out of the line of sight of zombies which in some cases means a 5 -10 minute walk. If I've got to go somewhere or do something IRL I don't want to have to spend 10 minutes going over a hill to make sure I don't die when I spawn in.

This also got harder with the timers and the 30 second logout dummy

Oh. So that's why my character was dead when I logged back in. I was getting ready to quit when I saw some zombies running towards me from quite a distance away. I couldn't be asked to deal with them so I quit. Won't be making that mistake again.

You would have to make the dummy invincible while you log on and the wait time should not make this any longer for the player logging on ... The others will see you and have time to position themselves behind you to pop a bullet in your head as soon as you move. This idea is still not ideal...

• Like 2

You want a simple fix for hopping?

OK :

Code circumference zone at sensible spawn loot points.

QeOo7nJ.jpg

Anyone login in these areas instantely vomit...

because of...hmm...radioactivity? Hell! I don't know why they have to puke but who care how realist about that since hoppers are in pratice teleport traveler throught parallel worlds.

So they vomit, and then nothing else - it's not a big deal for once but would be if reiterate : loosing water/food affect health. A wise hopper would carry provisions, that occupy some space in inventory, space that couldn't be filled with miltary loot.

Edited by JiJi

I like your idea but i choose for a simply:

Cattura.jpg

So you can't logout in a dense loot area, you simply need to walk 2 minutes away to go in a lesser loot spawn area then, if you will, come back with all risks realted to assault again an area that may be already beeing perlustrated by other players. This will stop poeple from spawn in the building you've just looted and shoot you from back (yes it has happened) or from snipers swap tricks.

Oh and if you get disconnected or your client crash you will be teleported to the nearest point out of the perimeter "no logout" zone, just to avoid "ALT+F4" old foxes  <_<

Same idea for Elktro, you sill have loads of buildings where logout near the city, but you can't INTO the city:

Cattura.jpg

Edited by JKS-Alex
  • Like 1

It was my first thought to teleport, but I realized it could send and stuck players throught sea,wall (glitch),tree,etc... and it would be a too wide punishing system. Especially since anti combat logout require to keep your avatar vulnerable for 30 seconds.
I mean it make really sense to hide in a house to disconnect, and there are many of them in your area that does not have any strategic value for hopping and ghosting.
IMHO it would be too prejudicial for all players (including the fair ones).

I'm well aware that we will never remove server swapping at 100% but removing 95% of good spot will be a good start, that will remove loads of players who do it and some others will go for a similar product where they can cheat more easly  ^_^

and if the house where you can swap are less poeple will understand easly in few weeks wich are and take precautions, IMHO it's always better then moving in the airfild while have to look the door of the building you have just cleaned beacuse someone can open the door you've just closed and shoot you from backward  <_<

oh and btw you can easly legitimize the no logout are with the lore: "too many zed there and it's not safe camp"

Edited by JKS-Alex

Eh, no.

A two minute walk isn't going to deter server hoppers. I can see a 'no logout area' causing a lot of problems.

You can't avoid server hopp until we don't have something useful on a specific server so the idea it's just to make them come to a dense loot area exactly as they where coming from out of cities/bases, that will at least avoid unfair ambushes. 2 mins "walk out" are good to me coz we must still remember that some poeple may have the necessity to logout quickly and they deserve the right to do it in a safe place like a defilated building ;)

I do like the idea of a logIN timer, but maybe it could be reduced to 5-10-15 seconds, and have a more obvious login sound so that if you're in a building with friends and you hear the sound (which is currently reloading, which is confusing at times) then you can do a quick scan of the building and take them out. Also the login dummy should be handcuffable/sackable.

I think with a shorter login timer as well as not being able to draw zombie aggro, this is an excellent idea.

I really would like making the game mainly of private hives officially supported, I don't know why bohemia thinks the current system is better than private hives, because the current system is so exploitable and avoid possible new cool features like closing a house door for yourselves useless, it makes hiding loot with backpacks "useless" because people will store backpacks on empty servers, it allows ghosting, every good building is emptied by serverhoppers after 10 mins of server restart, etc, etc, etc etc

I would really rethink this system and will do more in favor of private hives.

May be suggested already, anyway here you go.

Isn't possible to just have a server-character binding? Different server = different character. 

Isn't possible to just have a server-character binding? Different server = different character. 

Yes please, developers give us the option of serverhopping, who is bad in my opinion, and then they need to create means for avoiding serverhopping.

It would be nice if Bohemia supports one character per server also, controlling the loot and everything on these one character servers as they do with the public hive.

I really want to play on official servers without serverhopping, but I think I will need to join a Private Server and deal with Private Server rules like 1000 cars and things like that if I'm looking for one character per server.

What's wrong with making people wait 15 minutes to switch servers? Then 20, 25, 30?

Same goes for players.

For me logging out in a safe place isn't always a option, it seems when ever i am in a bad place with ton of zombies , in a fire fight with players , there seems to be a fire call and i just got to log out, sometimes i survive and sometimes i die, only down side for my player staying in the sever for 30 seconds after i leave. i don't always know where i am going to end up logging out so not being able to move for 30 second could screw me over.

Yes please, developers give us the option of serverhopping, who is bad in my opinion, and then they need to create means for avoiding serverhopping.

It would be nice if Bohemia supports one character per server also, controlling the loot and everything on these one character servers as they do with the public hive.

I really want to play on official servers without serverhopping, but I think I will need to join a Private Server and deal with Private Server rules like 1000 cars and things like that if I'm looking for one character per server.

:blink: