brazorf

Endless running - stamina/fatigue?

Weight is already a thing we know that's going to be included and have an impact on your character. I imagine what this will ultimately mean is that you make a trade-off for endurance/speed at the sacrifice of the amount of junk you're carrying. If you want to be quick and have the ability to cover longer distances faster, stop carrying around so much shit. Similarly, if you really value carrying around a couple rifles and a platoon's worth of ammo then don't expect to be getting around the map very quickly. All this means is that I think everything should have cost and ultimately the more you're carrying around at higher speeds the more calories you're burning. I have no problem with characters jogging everywhere without some hard cap but I think it should be costly depending upon choices. Sprinting should be much more restricted but still be variable upon equipment carried: a naked guy with jogging shoes is going to outsprint the Tacticool guy with four shotguns, an M4 and a plate carrier.

Edited by Ebrim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Fatigue CAN work. But to be honest, I do not trust Bohemia with it. It's been a complaint on ArmA 3 for ages and it's still beyond ridiculously stupid. There just is TOO much walking involved for it to make sense.

While the mechanic might work pretty well. The end result is always gonna be that the majority of people will simply camp one specific area. You can't apply your own playstyle and/or wishes to the whole game. Yes the mechanic might be great, but it may also terrible backfire in terms of outcome.

Personally, I think a middle ground would be appropritate. Just more water and energy consumption for running and dependant on weight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why do you have to zip from town to town like a sped up cartoon character? Realisitic speeds make survival challenging. If it's too slow, then the game isn't for you. Also, did you know that minimum requirement to pass army bootcamp for men is to be able to run 1.5 miles in 10 minutes. Most people barely qualify.

Fatigue CAN work. But to be honest, I do not trust Bohemia with it. It's been a complaint on ArmA 3 for ages and it's still beyond ridiculously stupid. There just is TOO much walking involved for it to make sense.

Bullshit, the community at large has accepted and actually like the stamina system in Arma 3.

Initially it took some tweaking but atm its pretty darn perfect. The stamina works perfectly fine as soon as people get it through their thick head that sprint is only for use in extreme cases and only used sparingly.

• Like 3

i feel like picking up the topic of stamina and exhaustion again. And i brought some numbers, taken from sportsmagazines and other sources.

While Jogging you burn 700-800 calories and you lose about 1.5 liters of water in one hour! So out of that we can calculate how long you can run before you're hungry and dehydrated.

In a sprint at maximum speed the human body would burn 18000 kcal per hour!!! I don't have any numbers on dehydration while sprinting but i assume it would be more than anyone could drink in 1 hour so we leave that one out. You can't drink while sprinting anyways...

The other important number is the running speed which is about 12 km/h average while jogging. In a sprint the record by Usain Bolt is 37,58 km/h. We can't assume that our DayZ-Char is a 100m-Sprinter training for Olympia so lets take the average of 35 km/h which is three times as much as the normal jogging speed.

All these numbers are average for males with 75 kg weight.

To make all the running system as realistic as possible we add the pulse, which is at 70 bpm. while browsing 9GAG :D and your maximum which can be determined by a simple formula: (220 – Age) x 0,6.

Let's say our char is 30 years old so his maximum pulse is 114 bpm.

If we wanna add a realistic system of stamina, fatigue and exhaustion, we have to imply pulse as well and furthermore the danger of a heart-attack!

Almost as important as the pulse is the fact that body exertion will cause your muscles to pour out lactic acid showing itself through convulsions and aching muscles.

Always keep in mind that these numbers are repesenting people in sportsdress, not carrying 40 kg of luggage and weaponry!!!

What can we draw as conclusion?

Adding a very realistic profile of exhaustion would overextend the games capacities and i think it's not necessary.

But we can imply a system of energy-consumption and loss of liquid. We do not have to come up with a whole new engine calculating levels of lactic acid we can just take known numbers and put them into the game and take TIME as the main scale for every aspect, for example:

Energy-consumption per minute while running/sprinting.

Loss of liquid.

Time till you get convulsions.

Time till your pulse is so high you have to stop or risk a heart-attack.

Weight of your gear and baggage affecting both maximum possible time of sprinting and maximum speed.

One final example:

From the shore in Kamyshovo it's 2 km to the centre of Elektro (running along the road). Jogging it'll take you 10 min. to get there, in a sprint you'll need 3.3 min. which sounds realistic to me, i've been there...

if you jogged slowly (which nobody does atm) you'd burn 23.3 kcal, while in a sprint it were 990kcal! That's everything you had, starting with an energylevel of 1000 kcal.

After 10 min of jogging you're far away from convulsions. but in a sprint your saturation of lactic acid would rise much faster and you'd hardly be able to move when you arrive.

See you in Elektro, stay hydrated.

• Like 2

anyone try playing the arma 2 mod dayz hardcorps?

basically dayz mod + A.C.E. / A.C.R.E. mod and with the stamina system it had, made dayz fuckin awesome.

you could no longer just sprint through towns and grab agro from every zombie cause you would most likely passout before you could loot the town or lose the zombies. you had to be way more deliberate with your moves, had to be thought out cause in ACE mod, you could pass out from carrying too much weight and running too much.

i really think a hardcore stamina/weight like that is needed once the vehicles are a lot more common.

this will weed out the plebs too, the ones that think running 20min is a big deal

Edited by hooligun
  • Like 1

First of all it is depends on your willpower, because if you understand you need to move, or you will die. You will run, till you fall unconscious.

Do not underestimate the power of human body.

For short bursts and short bursts only.

FYI: The human body will only function well (physically) in an adrenal state for a short period of time. Adrenaline also forces your body to burn calories very fast and compromises your cognitive capacity. The net result is, that post an adrenal response when a person is "spent/fatigued," without the time to rest and recuperate (and consume calories) the body and mind with it just "give up." An exhausted person is one that is easy to control mentally and physically.

As an example... I run marathons and ultra-marathons. On one particular cross-country ultra, several of the runners encountered bears. The adrenaline of the encounter had them climbing trees and sprinting away. After the bear was removed (about 15 minutes later), the runners' races were over because they had nothing left to resume the race; the adrenaline caused their bodies to rapidly consume all of their energy. In drawn out fights, I've been in the position in which I couldn't even raise my hands to protect my head despite someone sling fists.

We often over-estimate the power of the human body.

The devs mentioned that stamina will be a larger factor in the future. I'm quite excited for this and gave it some thought.

Running out of breath, causing weapon sway, is a big deal during gunfights. Now i had this idea (which is somewhat discussed previously) about heart rate making an introduction to the game. The longer you run, the higher your heart rate. There could be an option to check your own pulse. You could even have adrenaline as an effect, getting attacked can raise the adrenaline of a person which rapidly boosts the heart rate thus making a steady aim harder. There is much to dislike about this. But it would be interesting to test out.

I would definitely enjoy a system where a long living character has an above average cardio (achieved by many hours of running/training) and can keep adrenaline levels low in high-stress situations(veteran in combat).

Agreed, weight should be a factor that causes fatigue. Will be interesting to test out and find the right balance.

I like a challenge, this is supposed to be a hard game but i dont want my bambi to be a wuss, i want him/her to be medium, maybe a bit lower, ready for survival and ofc improvement the longer you survive.

It amazes me that being this far in to the alpha that we haven't even seen a hint of a fatigue/stamina system.  Not knocking the development time of the game because I know how long games take to make, just more baffled on why we haven't seen this system yet.

1 hour ago, Guy Smiley said:

It amazes me that being this far in to the alpha that we haven't even seen a hint of a fatigue/stamina system.  Not knocking the development time of the game because I know how long games take to make, just more baffled on why we haven't seen this system yet.

Maybe after the new player controller is in game.

• Like 1

In case of stamina system at 0.63 this post is actual again.

How about fatigue pull (can off for pvp servers)?

It would depends on any action, long running (increase faster), walking (increase slower). When pull is > 50% you can`t run.

Going to null while sleeping:

slow - in the forest if no rain and char in the warm clothes

normal - inside the house

fast - near fire in the house / in the tent 

much more faster - near fire  in the sleeping bag inside the house / the tent

My ideas to this article:

1. When player runs for long time stamina shall slowly depleat. As it does when sprinting. But in much slower rate. So you may sprint less distance after long run. Thus you may sprint longer if you only walked before. As in real life.

2. Vission shall be somehow redused if you run/sprint.(corners of the screen blured) And vission increased if you walk only. And you shall be best to spot things if you stand still.

My suggestion for 1.05 version is that certain food calorie-count and certain drink-water level could give stamina-fatigue-speed boost till survivor burns calories and water level to the certain mark... then they can eat-drink and get the boost again... or not a boost, but slower stamina depletion or something... you get the idea.