daisho

can we have a more "savaged" environment (like higher grass, bushes, vegetation in general) and more chaos in the cities?

I know it's alpha and such and music and sound effects in later versions will/ can make a hell of a difference regarding the creep-factor.

That being said, I personally don't feel threatened by the environment at all, running/ sneaking around more feels like being on a hiking trip during the holidays: clear blue sky, the sun is shining, backpack full of tuna and water.

The grass looks like freshly mown and just recently fertilized. You can have a nice overview over the area most of the times. Everything just looks so neat, "polished" and tidy and feels more like you're in some kind of holiday resort rather than in the wilderness.

Cities and houses look like there just have been people in it 10 minutes ago and they cleaned up everything before they left.

I'd love to see a bit more chaos, especially in the cities, scrap vehicles in the middle of the road, dumpsters on the roads...this wouldn't only grant some additional cover and hence would add a higher variety for tactical approaches it would look more real, more threatening too, the city would look more abandoned.

All houses/ fronts look just too tidy, I'd love to see more crashed windows, stuff sprayed to the walls, maybe burned down houses and stuff like that.

Is the environment actually destroyable or planned to be so? If not, wouldn't it make sense to implement this if possible?

Maybe this would be an option for dynamic content on the maps, so areas change a bit on server-restart and never look the same.

The whole atmosphere is not threatening at all for me, I don't feel like I'm left alone in a desperate situation, I don't feel hopeless, I'm not scared, thrilled or paranoid.

I know this game is not a single player and doesn't have any super creepy supernatural animals or mutants in it, but I'd love to be a bit more challenged when wandering around as in: the grass, bushes, vegetation would make it harder to have a real overview over the area and you wouldn't have any idea what or who you'll run into in the next Moment or minutes.

I want areas and situation less clear, manageable, less predictable.

I wouldn't want to run around in a fully grown jungle but things should look a bit more abandoned and  like wildernes.

Edited by daisho
  • Like 15

are we taking into consideration that with the fresh fruit and pristine weapons/clothes everywhere that this apocalypse has only occurred in the last week or so? I still haven't seen any "fresh mowed" grass by the way. I'm not opposed to a more degraded look and feel as long as its in keeping with the actual lore of the apocalypse but so far it looks to be a very recent occurrence.

It's just a few weeks after the start. This doesn't make sense for that. Also the Devs would be better off making a new map. Can't find the source but it's in the dev tracker somewhere.

EDIT: source has been found https://twitter.com/ctorchia/statuses/442201754030317568

Edited by Dchil
  • Like 1

are we taking into consideration that with the fresh fruit and pristine weapons/clothes everywhere that this apocalypse has only occurred in the last week or so? I still haven't seen any "fresh mowed" grass by the way. I'm not opposed to a more degraded look and feel as long as its in keeping with the actual lore of the apocalypse but so far it looks to be a very recent occurrence.

It's just a few weeks after the start. This doesn't make sense for that. Also the Devs would be better off making a new map. Can't find the source but it's in the dev tracker somewhere.

EDIT: source has been found https://twitter.com/ctorchia/statuses/442201754030317568

Well, fresh fruit grow on trees and cloths and weapons shouldn't lose quality too fast when they're in houses and not exposed to the weather.

I get your point, the map design should fit the lore but I'd love to see more wilderness and less tidy areas all around, and it imho would suit the whole survival setting better if you would feel like being in the wilderness and nature (environment and weather) would be a real thread (or at least feel like it).

As said, I don't want any setting that people have to fight their way through fully grown jungles with a machete or chainsaw, but a tad more vegetation and "nature taking over" would be just aweomse imho, as it would feel more like a survival-horror game rather than a hiking simulator with guns.

On a sIde note:

I personally would love to run through a fully grown cornfield without looking like a crying pufferfish after 5 minutes due to allergies.

Edited by daisho

Cars are totaly fucked up and rusted, all the houses look like noone was there for 5 years... That the outbreak happend just weeks ago is simply stupid.

Cars are totaly fucked up and rusted, all the houses look like noone was there for 5 years... That the outbreak happend just weeks ago is simply stupid.

They almost looked exactly the same in Arma 2. But that was set in the middle of a Civil War. Only difference is a couple of Broken windows and blood stains.

I know it's alpha and such and music and sound effects in later versions will/ can make a hell of a difference regarding the creep-factor.

That being said, I personally don't feel threatened by the environment at all, running/ sneaking around more feels like being on a hiking trip during the holidays: clear blue sky, the sun is shining, backpack full of tuna and water.

The grass looks like freshly mown and just recently fertilized. You can have a nice overview over the area most of the times. Everything just looks so neat, "polished" and tidy and feels more like you're in some kind of holiday resort rather than in the wilderness.

Cities and houses look like there just have been people in it 10 minutes ago and they cleaned up everything before they left.

I'd love to see a bit more chaos, especially in the cities, scrap vehicles in the middle of the road, dumpsters on the roads...this wouldn't only grant some additional cover and hence would add a higher variety for tactical approaches it would look more real, more threatening too, the city would look more abandoned.

All houses/ fronts look just too tidy, I'd love to see more crashed windows, stuff sprayed to the walls, maybe burned down houses and stuff like that.

Is the environment actually destroyable or planned to be so? If not, wouldn't it make sense to implement this if possible?

Maybe this would be an option for dynamic content on the maps, so areas change a bit on server-restart and never look the same.

The whole atmosphere is not threatening at all for me, I don't feel like I'm left alone in a desperate situation, I don't feel hopeless, I'm not scared, thrilled or paranoid.

I know this game is not a single player and doesn't have any super creepy supernatural animals or mutants in it, but I'd love to be a bit more challenged when wandering around as in: the grass, bushes, vegetation would make it harder to have a real overview over the area and you wouldn't have any idea what or who you'll run into in the next Moment or minutes.

I want areas and situation less clear, manageable, less predictable.

I wouldn't want to run around in a fully grown jungle but things should look a bit more abandoned and  like wildernes.

No thanks.

I agree with your suggestion to have more debris- there should be tanks and sandbags and boarded windows in Elektro town square- but the tall grass and stuff isn't needed, and destructible environment is a bit silly when you have server resets. Smash all the buildings! They come back an hour later!

No thanks.

I agree with your suggestion to have more debris- there should be tanks and sandbags and boarded windows in Elektro town square- but the tall grass and stuff isn't needed, and destructible environment is a bit silly when you have server resets. Smash all the buildings! They come back an hour later!

I would like to have more civilian chaos instead of just more military stuff, especially not in the regular cities. Maybe barricades (made of dumpsters, cars, shopping carts, wooden plates and stuff like that) made by people at some point in the street where they tried to fight off Zeds

This dude has quite some nice ideas, tks for the link.

I think this is something that will be done over time. The map is a work in progress and there's still a huge amount to do.

The areas that have already been reworked (like Zelenegorsk) look great IMO, the other towns could do with looking a bit more run down though. I agree.

They almost looked exactly the same in Arma 2. But that was set in the middle of a Civil War. Only difference is a couple of Broken windows and blood stains.

They are quite dirty inside. Not dirty enough.. But still at least some-years dirty.

Agreed. Even games like CoD and BF have more lived in environments.

The current map looks like a collection of very simple set pieces.

1445608.jpg

1445536.jpg

1445496.jpg

1445632.jpg

1449090.jpg

1735729.jpg

Edited by Exxoduss

1445608.jpg

1445536.jpg

1445496.jpg

1445632.jpg

1449090.jpg

1735729.jpg

This please ... Goin into the woods should be the scariest thing in the world ... IMHO I wish dean hall had modeled the map after America , it's a filthy combination of a lot of cultures around the world , has sewers legit everywhere , woods of course, and also has highways and cluster fu*k cities ... Perfect for a zombie apocAlypse haha but since we're working with Eastern Europe(specificAlly a farming district of east Europe) , dirtying up the countryside with chaos and adding some nice towns like svetlogorsk (favorite town now in experimental) should spice it up , oh and hopefully more landmarks ( like the crash site at Cherno or the ship wreck near berezino ..

Agree with the op. But tbh, higher grass is bs if it's not rendering at higher distances. F.e. you hide in the grass, but another player 200m away of you will just see your body laying down on q green texture. The engine already has a lot of trouble to render all that stuff on our screens.

Agree with the op. But tbh, higher grass is bs if it's not rendering at higher distances. F.e. you hide in the grass, but another player 200m away of you will just see your body laying down on q green texture. The engine already has a lot of trouble to render all that stuff on our screens.