Super_Duty

From Hicks_206 Reddit on Development

Dev Tracker, Reddit redirect... in case you missed it from earlier today.

I see a lot of bickering back and forth in this thread, so I thought I might try and lend a hand into understanding what to expect. Right now, for those of you whom have DayZ on Steam - you are participating in a public facing test of a title in very early development. What this means for you, is a good deal of frustration at times. I'd like to think currently DayZ has much more to offer from a gameplay experience perspective than it did when the Early Access offering was first available.

However, as I said earlier - things are going to break, design is going to change and adapt, and sometimes (just like the disclaimer says at startup) you may find features not operating as expected, content incomplete, or areas of the title just plain broken. Ideally, we try and minimize any issues like this - which is the primary leading factor in the update on Friday going to Experimental branch, rather than stable. Moving forward over the rest of this year you will see the DayZ team focusing on the addition of core features to the title. When we release our anticipated road map of these core features, you will have a bit more transparency into the intended duration of prototyping, implementing, iterating, and so on.

Completion of the Alpha "milestone" as it were, and moving into the Beta phase of the title will mean that the core features of DayZ have been implemented, and the team will begin to focus on enriching the content around these feature sets. Simultaneously, you will see the team begin to focus on bug fix as the title move towards its "Release Candidate" phase, which you will more than likely see occur in the final months of DayZ Early Access's beta.

I'm sure this is tldr for many people, but the bullet point of what I'm trying to get across is as follows:

• DayZ Early Access Alpha: Feature development, during which the vast majority of major bugs are created/occur.
  • DayZ Early Access Beta: Content development, during which the "meat on the bones" is added to the title, alongside the beginnings of major bug fixing surrounding issues created during the feature development of alpha.
  • DayZ Early Access RC (Final Beta stages): Bug Fix, optimization, and balancing. During which the stone is polished, until the DayZ dev team feels the title is ready to go live.

The important thing to take away from this is, even though we're in the phase where the majority of major issues are discovered or created, we're very aware of the problems. We read twitter, reddit, the forums and so on - and we do try and dedicate as much time as we can into ensuring the stable branch of DayZ Early Access Alpha is as fluid and enjoyable a play experience as possible.

For me, as an individual - I hate seeing people exploit the wall glitching - and can't wait for us to have a fix for this onto the stable branch.

Edited by Super_Duty
  • Like 16

nice, seen way too much bitching recently because an update that would have caused a massive bug in the game got pushed back in order to fix said bug. 

You forgot to include his tl;dr:

• DayZ Early Access Alpha: Feature development, during which the vast majority of major bugs are created/occur.
  • DayZ Early Access Beta: Content development, during which the "meat on the bones" is added to the title, alongside the beginnings of major bug fixing surrounding issues created during the feature development of alpha.
  • DayZ Early Access RC (Final Beta stages): Bug Fix, optimization, and balancing. During which the stone is polished, until the DayZ dev team feels the title is ready to go live.

Why the dev team doesn't have an official website?

blogs, reddit, forums, twitters....really?

Why not use dayzgame.com for official news?

WTF

• Like 7

They're apparently using all that social media has to offer... some here some there, all dependent on the origin of the input provided by what the customer prefers to use.

Edited by Super_Duty

nice, seen way too much bitching recently because an update that would have caused a massive bug in the game got pushed back in order to fix said bug. 

Even so this game could easily turn out like planetside 2, which they just FUBAR'd hard even though they made a roadmap every "major update" broke the game even more and they never even got to adding new content, I just don't want dayz to be similar in certain regards.

Like zombies going through buildings, and other such game breakers that may exist in future features.

WTF

THIS X 1000000000000000000000000.

• Like 5

WTF

I think they believe they're stars of a reality show rather than game developers that are expected to perform their jobs

Edited by Highlander007
  • Like 3

It does kinda bother me that they will never respond to posts here, just reddit mainly... but I also dont really care.. I guess I just find it wierd

It's sweet of him to offer up the idea of an RC, it's positively sisyphian in it's humour.  ;)

This needs to be pinned, printed out and glued above (or even ON) every monitor of people complaining about the nature of an alpha.

WTF

Announcement sub of the forum, their Twitter accounts are official. And for major updates they make a devblog at tumblr (which is also official) or a video at twitch.tv (which is, you guessed it) also official. For reddit see the answer below.

It does kinda bother me that they will never respond to posts here, just reddit mainly... but I also dont really care.. I guess I just find it wierd

Rocket is a reddit guy. Was before the SA will always be I guess.

And for the rest of the team: The Up/Downvote function of reddit.

In this forum they would have to crawl through 150 bullshit KoS threads, complainthreads about charwipes/lost stuff or glitches and bugs that are known for weeks, trollthreads, discussions about how to wear pants and boots together, threads with heavy insults against them etc. etc. etc. to find something useful. If I were a dev on that team, I'd also NEVER ever go to this forum. That place is hell.

On reddit? Useful threads get voted up by the users, so the team can see them fast and react to them.

This forum is mainly for 3 things:

• User discussions
  • "Announcement" sub
  • DevTracker Sub

Edit: I can't type -.-

Edited by LaughingJack
  • Like 3

If for no other reason than this...there are just not enough hours in a day to stay abreast of everything in this day and age when everyone expects instant gratification, acknowledgement or an online hug.  Resources are finite.

On Reddit, useful threads get voted up by the users, so the team can see them fast and react to them.

Edited by Super_Duty

Not the first game I go into alpha.. one of the first games I pay ( gladly i did ) to be on alpha.

Now, I understand that the piss off statement by the Dev is par with the cooking mechanics and the boiling pot, and he has good reason to say all he did write, but..

... as an example...

Mosin had problem with paint. Was fixed. Eventually I hoped the CODE to be fixed and the bug to be solved.

Now... same happens with SKS.

Sorry to say, but there is something wrong with the Dev process if they are doing core code changes that affect such basics on a individual asset basis.

If it was a full simulation of atmospheric conditions that wound affect all assets, i would understand, but it is not. So get back to work and review your workflow.

The details show the big picture.

Let's wait and see.

Edited by Hethwill_Khan
  • Like 2

Not the first game I go into alpha.. one of the first games I pay ( gladly i did ) to be on alpha.

Now, I understand that the piss off statement by the Dev is par with the cooking mechanics and the boiling pot, and he has good reason to say all he did write, but..

... as an example...

Mosin had problem with paint. Was fixed. Eventually I hoped the CODE to be fixed and the bug to be solved.

Sorry to say, but there is something wrong with the Dev process if they are doing core code changes that affect such basics on a individual asset basis.

If it was a full simulation of atmospheric conditions that wound affect all assets, i would understand, but it is not. So get back to work and review your workflow.

Let's wait and see.

This x 100. Devs don't seem to test what they implement. And the Code looks amazingly fragile to me even though i don't know it.

put the game down and come back in 6 months.  if it's still buggy and shit then complain...

• Like 1

WTF

They do, and you're on it.

... as an example...

Let's wait and see.

cant agree more, this always happens on arma series too, everytime they add a new addon it will bring up an old issue, just like they never make a conclusion for their fault.

Hicks made one mistake in his post... "tldr (too long, didn't read) should have been replaced with "tmtc"(too much to comprehend).  Probably both imho.

While we're at it, the recently announced increase in the number of new developers will most likely compound some of the issue we see for a while.  Yo, Johnny or Sally, you grabbed/duplicated/replicated an old piece of code locally vs. going to the vault...This too shall pass, in time.

"I'm sure this is tldr for many people, but the bullet point of what I'm trying to get across is as follows:

• DayZ Early Access Alpha: Feature development, during which the vast majority of major bugs are created/occur."

Rocket is a reddit guy. Was before the SA will always be I guess.

And for the rest of the team: The Up/Downvote function of reddit.

In this forum they would have to crawl through 150 bullshit KoS threads, complainthreads about charwipes/lost stuff or glitches and bugs that are known for weeks, trollthreads, discussions about how to wear pants and boots together, threads with heavy insults against them etc. etc. etc. to find something useful. If I were a dev on that team, I'd also NEVER ever go to this forum. That place is hell.

Implying people don't talk shit on reddit or Twitter... :D

It's very likely devs are reading this forum and replying under pseudonyms, looking for new ideas and actual feedback from players/testers.  

Hello there

The devs DO use this forum.

Us mods are in contact with the  devs on a daily basis and feedback important issues.

But, there is a lot of dross out there to wade through.

The better feedback you guys give, rather than petty squabbling, the more likely the devs are to get involved more here on a day to day basis.

Regardless of that, they are damn busy actually making the game.

Rgds

LoK

• Like 1

The system in place for communication is great. Some people want their fancy feast brought to them on a silver saucer, that's all. Strip away all posts where people flame, go off topic needlessly, and make unfounded demands.

Next, delete all posts where people say "heres my beans!" or post a pic of a bean can. You're support is inspiring, but just click the "you have my beans" button please?

"Like a sculptor who doesn't keep adding clay to a statue... but strips away the inessentials until the truth is revealed".

• Like 1

WTF

Base on you, choose one:

• Neutral: You are more visible, you sell more products, you can eat more apples. 
  • Positive: they don`t force you to use specific form of communication but let you choose.
  • Negative: they don`t care about being efficient with  providing good quality, solid communication but only marketing.