ra91111

smells odors sugsmells gestion

will there be in this game some sence of smells - detection of distinct smells  that the player can smell "i smell fire /smoke/cooked food / something awefull/ etc". ? 

• Like 5

It's an interesting suggestion to say the least. It'd be helpful to have another sense added into the game, and surely wouldn't hurt the immersion at all. I can think of multiple possibilities of running through one of the dense forests and not paying attention to my surroundings during the day, and seeing a status message pop up saying something along the lines of "I smell something burning."

Could be a little interesting mini-game where the indications get stronger the closer you get to the source, or further away you get from the source.

"I smell something burning."

"The (smell) is stronger in this direction."
"The (smell) is weaker in this direction."

Was thinking about this one too after you made the first post, came back a few times but didn't have a solid grasp on a way to integrate it.

Visual hud indicator similar to how damage is indicated around the crosshairs in most fps's along with text output. Something like that, so lacking a physical scent you have a visual indicator for directionality and text output for type of odor.

Dig the integration of more senses, always a plus.

After running around for days/ weeks with the same cloths slaughtering zombies the only thing you'd smell would be something aweful most likely.

Other than that, neat idea actually in regards to having some triggers that (may) indicate different things, but imho hard to implement as smells if implemented should be depending on wind directions, wind speed and weather in general.

I'd rather have some stuff like animals though, that for example run/ fly in some direction as they heard something and/ or fleeing from someone or maybe crow swarms gathering near zed-hordes and stuff like that.

Edited by daisho

After running around for days/ weeks with the same cloths slaughtering zombies the only thing you'd smell would be something aweful most likely.

Other than that, neat idea actually in regards to having some triggers that (may) indicate different things, but imho hard to implement as smells if implemented should be depending on wind directions, wind speed and weather in general.

I'd rather have some stuff like animals though, that for example run/ fly in some direction as they heard something and/ or fleeing from someone or maybe crow swarms gathering near zed-hordes and stuff like that.

I actually don't think it would be hard to implement at all really. It would simply be a modified version of the rain system that we currently have in the experimental build. Rather than getting damp or having a wet effect added to your character, you simply have either a text or visual indicator that shows the direction that the smell is coming from, or both.

I actually don't think it would be hard to implement at all really. It would simply be a modified version of the rain system that we currently have in the experimental build. Rather than getting damp or having a wet effect added to your character, you simply have either a text or visual indicator that shows the direction that the smell is coming from, or both.

I get ya, I was expressing my thoughts a bit wrong....that shouldn't be hard to get implemented.

What I was thinking was that: smells shouldn't be recognized in a radius around X meters around the source by default, especially not coming with any textmessage giving directions, that would be too easy imho to i.e. find someone having put up his tent and having some deer BBQ.

I was thinking there should be some kind of weather/ wind thingy then, so people should be aware of where they pitch their tent and get the BBQ started or if it would be a good idea to do so in the first place because - if wind blows in a certain direction - the smell or the smoke going to a certain direction could attract zeds or other players, might be they bring some booze but most likely they bring an axe or hunger for brains rather than deer, so better avoid attracting them.

Maybe that's just too fussy though.

Edited by daisho
  • Like 1

I heartily agree that a sense of smell would be a great addition to the game, and I think implementation wouldn't be all that hard.  I'm a programmer and I deal with 3d simulations all the time in both my work and my hobbies.

A 'scent pool' object could be created for everything that has a strong scent.  These pools would be objects with a radius, smell type, and lifetime but no physical model in the game world.  The wind/rain could blow them around and even reduce their lifetime. New scent pools are generated when an object crosses out of its previously generated scent pool.

The basic idea works in 2 ways - for stationary objects that smell, the wind would push the scent pool off of them creating a trail of scent pools (every time one leaves the object, a new one spawns). For moving objects, as the object moves out of the last spawned pool, it generates a new one.

For the player's HUD, a bar at the bottom could have icons to indicate what they can currently smell (ie which scent pools they are currently standing in).  As the smell gets stronger, the icon can either get brighter, change color, or change order (far left is smelliest thing nearby).  For example, you might smell pine needles, a grass fire, and rotting flesh.  This way, if you can smell rotting flesh and you notice your icon is indicating the smell is getting stronger, it means you are getting closer b/c you have moved to a 'younger' scent pool (one that has not decayed as much) and thus are likely approaching something rotting... maybe a zombie, maybe a dead person or animal, who knows?

Something similar was suggested, however rather than having messages, how about devs work on improving sound and vision.

Example, as you suggested "I smell fire" rather than a msg, how about a white cloud of smoke rising.

Also sounds, birds taking flight when a player enters a scene.

I was reminded of this thread earlier and wanted to give it some attention  There there thread, we weren't ignoring you.

It would be pretty awesome to have the first game that includes all 5 senses -- bite into a seemingly good apple only to discover that it is rotten inside (yuck!) and get the option to spit it out or tough it out b/c you're starving.  Smell a fire nearby, feel the wind direction.

So many realistic and cool things that could be done with this.

Well I guess this is a bump on the thread. I was thinking of this very thing and found this old thread which pretty much what I was thinking. We should also be able to smell car crashes if they are totaled and burning, as well as helo crashes.