Zjasuu

How to fix server hopping and combat logging!

I can't be the only one who isn't pissed off about combat loggers and server hoppers. And I have really put some thought into fixing all that and here it is:

In order to log out the player must find a bed, a sleeping bag or have a tent (more on this down below). If the player logs out or exits the game without going to "sleep" his/her character will stay on the server until he/she rejoins the server.

Just think about it, noobs who can't find a sleeping bag or a tent can go to a village and go to sleep on a bed, and players who are better at the game can go to sleep where ever they want by putting up a tent.

And here is how the sleeping could work: one word, adrenaline. If you have been shooting or hearing gunshots your adrenaline level would be too high to sleep, if you have been shot at your adrenaline level would be so high that logging off would leave the character on the bed for like 30 minutes before disappearing.

That's just the basics, a lot of tweaking would obviously be required. Tell me what you think

• Like 12

Interesting concept..

It will receive a lot of backlash from the community as the timers you have put into place are extremely too high. People already bitch about a 30sec log off timer and a 300sec timer if you aren't on the server long enough.

If the timer you suggested was lowered to maybe 5/10min I could see it plausibly working. Though it would still allow server hopping as people could just go to a town close to where they want to loot and log off on a bed. Most places that are lootable (even military bases) have towns close enough that they could run there and log out and then log back in on a different server run back... you get the point.

Unless I'm possibly misunderstanding the whole concept.

Interesting concept..

It will receive a lot of backlash from the community as the timers you have put into place are extremely too high. People already bitch about a 30sec log off timer and a 300sec timer if you aren't on the server long enough.

If the timer you suggested was lowered to maybe 5/10min I could see it plausibly working. Though it would still allow server hopping as people could just go to a town close to where they want to loot and log off on a bed. Most places that are lootable (even military bases) have towns close enough that they could run there and log out and then log back in on a different server run back... you get the point.

Unless I'm possibly misunderstanding the whole concept.

But how does the log out timer affect your gameplay in any way? I mean you leave a "ghost" behind you, it's not like you had to watch your character sit there for 30 minutes, it would just stay there... Also you couldn't switch servers because your character is still on another server so no ghosting either, but if you returned back to the server you were in you would get back to playing as soon as you logged in. You would stop sleeping.

Edited by Zjasuu
  • Like 1

Go back to Rust.

This solution is the shittiest solution there is to the problem, it's made for people with no lives. A lot of people that log out in the middle of nowhere log out because they actually have people that depend on them in real-life, not because we are trying to deny you your beans.

• Like 4

But how does the log out timer affect your gameplay in any way? I mean you leave a "ghost" behind you, it's not like you had to watch your character sit there for 30 minutes, it would just stay there... Also you couldn't switch servers because your character is still on another server so no ghosting either, but if you returned back to the server you were in you would get back to playing as soon as you logged in. You would stop sleeping.

So to ensure I'm understanding this correctly:

This would impose a 30min timer if you wanted to switch servers, unless you had spent the required 30mins on the server?

The ghost left behind would be killable?

Would the tents players use be seen by other players? How long would it take to set up the tent?

Like I said just trying to ensure I'm understanding your idea correctly.

*edit* Thought of another question

Edited by CrazyCorky

IMO not a good idea.

Tbh i feel the best way of dealing with it is a combat mode, Think WoW only takes a bit longer to get out of combat. Cant logout during combat and alt f4ing during combat state kills your char - simple.

Also leave the spawn timer for when u swap servers in as that is actually good :) as it does stop server hopping.

Leaving a ghost of your char behind for no matter how much time however just serves to penalize non combat loggers.

• Like 1

These are some whacky penalties.  30 minutes of your character staying on the server?  Put down the pipe!

Go back to Rust.

This solution is the shittiest solution there is to the problem, it's made for people with no lives. A lot of people that log out in the middle of nowhere log out because they actually have people that depend on them in real-life, not because we are trying to deny you your beans.

It's a very good idea and

is according to the game's realism principles.

As i said in one of my past suggestion when you sleep..

You could have:

-If you have low blood,blood regenaration during sleep/logout time would improve.

-If you log out from the bed with sick status,when you log in sleep mode would improve your survivor's condition.

-You can get a "rested" status equivalent to the "healthy" status,only rather than having improve blood regen,

your survivor could run faster than his averange top running speed until your stamina falls again and lose the "rested"status.

Also,make sleep logout mandatory,and when the temperature is imlemented and you log out in the middle of the forest with freezing temperature,there is a high chance you will find your survivor sick.So before you going to sleep you should take in account

1:Beign indors when you sleep.

2:Have a burning fire/heat source close to you to keep you warm. 

If you go to bed with the "healthy" "stuffed"  "hydrated" status,and you have a good temperature (near fire or other heat source) and inside a house,it will affect the pace in which your charachter regenerates blood.Making all theese preparations is challenging,so i think it's fair.Right?

That would increase the realism factor to a new level.

You are saying that hearing gunshots would boost your adrenaline levels and thus keep you awake - but the character would be awake in the game even though you are no longer logged in?

If you want to add your system you would also need to make the awake character playable - basically forcing someone to watch their character fall asleep. Because if you are saying they are awake that also means they must be able to react to situations.

So we could end up in a wonderful cycle of never being able to log out because as soon as we hear a gunshot we would have to wait 30 mins.

I think the current situation is working fine for the time being and if they do need to adapt it I don't think your method is suitable in the slightest. It's just too extreme.

So to ensure I'm understanding this correctly:

This would impose a 30min timer if you wanted to switch servers, unless you had spent the required 30mins on the server?

The ghost left behind would be killable?

Would the tents players use be seen by other players? How long would it take to set up the tent?

Like I said just trying to ensure I'm understanding your idea correctly.

*edit* Thought of another question

Not exactly 30 minutes I just threw it in there, as I said, a lot of tweaking :D

Yes the ghost would be killable, just like ATM

I think it would be good if other players could see the tents

Also it would be great if other players could access your gear while you're sleeping so they wouldn't have to kill you to get your loot, they could just steal your stuff.

• Like 1

I think if we have about 10x more threads matching this one per day, we will finally fix server hopping and combat logging.

someome please delete this crap

This is a computer game.

So? That doesn't mean we can't have nice things. 

I appreciate your feedback but this is just what I think would be the best for all these combat logging bitches.

Maybe this could work in hardcore mode but not in regular mode?

I think if we have about 10x more threads matching this one per day, we will finally fix server hopping and combat logging.

someome please delete this crap

Have you noticed that you're on a game forum? There are like 1000 threads complaining about the same things, this is just my idea for combat logging and I wanted to discuss about it with other people. If you don't like the subject just don't read it, buddy.

I take my time when entering dangerous areas, I have never been jumped by loggers, hoppers or ghosters.  Lets be fair If players didnt run around like there was nothing else better to do then there would be less deaths and people doing shit like this.  When The MOD hit, players were cautious about moving around, most used to crawl because of the Zombies and other players to be hidden.  I do think players have lost that aspect of gaming with the SA.

I suggested a while back.

Have players assigned to one server upon log in.

Have a timer for said players on said server if they continuously try to log in again after a certain time.

Alternatively, have timers at certain loacations only, eg. Barracks and towns and high risks areas and top end kit places, that would dissuade players from mining places and surprising the bejeezus out of players.

This would cut down almost instantly and make the player think about cutting and running or trying to find all the gucci kit at certain loacations.

Edited by Michaelvoodoo25

Bad idea, since it unfair for all players. 

you basically wants to punish everyone for what a few people does. 

combat loggers don't bother me since im still safe.

explain to me why they bother you? because u don't get their bullet filled body of ruined loot?

server hoppers for loot is a bigger issue.

Bad idea, since it unfair for all players. 

you basically wants to punish everyone for what a few people does. 

combat loggers don't bother me since im still safe.

explain to me why they bother you? because u don't get their bullet filled body of ruined loot?

server hoppers for loot is a bigger issue.

this ^, and in my opinion the item respawn should be fixed first, and the timer or something implemented later, i do server hopping because i cant find any items

• Like 2

this ^, and in my opinion the item respawn should be fixed first, and the timer or something implemented later, i do server hopping because i cant find any items

Then you're either not looking at the right places or going to the wrong servers. I can always hit up the Military Base above Balota and the area just outside Zelengorsk and the military base below the NWAF.

Best way to stop server hoppers is implement random loot locations.

IE: Every house has a chance to spawn any item. Airfields/military bases must be random too.

Your search for the term server hopper returned 87 results

Your search for the term server hopping returned 77 results

Your search for the term combat logging returned 84 results
Your search for the term combat logger returned 64 results

I think there might be a couple of thread's already discussing this, the solution that you have proposed has also been discussed in depth along with almost every other. 
  • Like 1

Why not just automatically assign a player to a server within their latency preferences when they click "Play"? That way we'd have more full servers, we'd eliminate server hopping, and it'd be impossible to ghost.

i think they should make characters bound to the server they spawned on. that is the best way to stop server hopping. it would also prevent people from gearing up on an empty server then taking that gear to a high population server.

• Like 1

Your search for the term server hopper returned 87 results

Your search for the term server hopping returned 77 results

Your search for the term combat logging returned 84 results
Your search for the term combat logger returned 64 results

I think there might be a couple of thread's already discussing this, the solution that you have proposed has also been discussed in depth along with almost every other. 

Breaking news!!!!

There will be at least 30 of these topics made this week alone!

More at 11.