River Lizard

Hey...I see you....put your hands up.....

Maybe you should read the remainder of the thread, as I have already gone over that. Clearly you're late to the party. Furthermore, you obviously didn't play the mod, so you're a little ignorant of how things work and what bandits actually are.

ban·dit
ˈbandit/
noun

1. 1.
    a robber or outlaw belonging to a gang and typically operating in an isolated or lawless area.

I'm not a bandit. I don't steal from people. I don't belong to a gang. I am not an outlaw. I do not murder people for their loot or for my own pleasure. If I come across a "survivor", and I hold them up, and they refuse to cooperate, I make a judgment call on a case to case basis whether I feel they warrant shooting or not. If they refuse to cooperate, that is a sign that they are not friendly. This is where self-preservation comes in.

Furthermore, you obviously do not understand what a hold-up entails. If you are geared, and I hold you up, it's because I want a player interaction. I will ASK you if you have food and drink. I will ASK you if you are healthy. I will ask you if you need any ammo or weapons. IF you don't, then I will tell you to stay put, and wait for me to leave.. Once I am gone you are free to retrieve your weapon and go about your business.

If it makes you feel better to consider me a bandit, feel free to do so. Just know that you're wrong. I had 11k humanity in the mod and only killed survivors when they had opened fire on me first. I've learned through experience and trial and error the proper way to conduct a hold-up. 

Can you just listen to what you say and understand how that sounds?  "If you are geared I hold you up because I want a player interaction".  If you are walking down the road today and someone holds a gun to you and demands you interact with them what would you call that?  Yes, this is a game and things are a bit different because of that but to try to justify holding someone up isn't going to work IMO.  Forcing someone to interact with you at there fear of being shot is no better then banditry.

Your also changing your tune, you said earlier that if I don't drop my weapon you'll shoot me because that's a hostile act now you say you only killed survivors when they opened fire on you so what is it?  You said if someone runs they are not a friendly and you'd shoot them, but that doesn't sound like they shot you first.  Seems your doing a lot of double talk to justify your game play.  If you ask me to drop my weapon and I run and you don't shoot me that's fine, that's trying to interact and it failed and you said screw it.  You said earlier if that happens you shoot them, that's different.  So what one is it?

Oh, sense you like dictionary terms and think that a term has to follow that exactly..

hold upverb

Definition of HOLD UP
transitive verb
:  to rob at gunpoint

Hmmmm.. now you'll say that's not what you do but you used the term several times in this thread.  So are you telling me that terms like Bandit and Hold up can have slightly different meanings then the book definition?

No he's not a bandit by the sound of things

I usually say hello if I'm behind cover before telling them tat we can both put away our weapons and talk the out without bloodshed

So if I say "hello"

The guy draws his gun and starts looking around and doesn't respond

Do I'll say "hey I'm friendly, there's no need to act hostile so please put your gun away or I'll have to kill you"

Keeps looking around without responding, starts moving towards where I am

So I peek out and shoot him

Now, if your classing someone like me a bandit, then you really do know nothing about this game

All he has to do us say "hello" back and we can work out some kind of arrangement

And no, people like me can't leave people alone

We hunt bandits and help friendly survivors so we approach most people to see if they need help Ect and if they act hostile, well it's usually one less bandit people have to worry about for a while

What if they run? Do you shoot them? See that was where the line to bandit hit for me.  If you force someone to interact with you and they avoid it and aren't a threat because they run off (assuming they aren't running to you with a gun) do you shoot them?  The concept of do as I say or I shoot you is banditry, or if you don't like that word it's being a thug or a bully or any number of other words you can pick from.  When you take what I want to do in the game away and force me to do as you want just because you want it that's being a bandit/thug/bully pick your word.  I'd rather be shot and leave it be, next time I will be more cautious.

I will say this I have never shot someone who hasn't shot at me first.  I don't shoot people just because they don't want to drop there weapon, and this has got me shot at before and even killed before but I'm good with that I don't try to justify shooting people who run and aren't a threat to me.  I understand that some people have been robbed before and are a bit jittery around others so if they run off I don't sweat it and this concept is what, IMO, dictates if your good or bad, bandit or not.

• Like 2

Well today.. one guy tried doing what OP said he would do and unfortunately he ended at the coast. 

What if they run? Do you shoot them? See that was where the line to bandit hit for me.  If you force someone to interact with you and they avoid it and aren't a threat because they run off (assuming they aren't running to you with a gun) do you shoot them?  The concept of do as I say or I shoot you is banditry, or if you don't like that word it's being a thug or a bully or any number of other words you can pick from.  When you take what I want to do in the game away and force me to do as you want just because you want it that's being a bandit/thug/bully pick your word.  I'd rather be shot and leave it be, next time I will be more cautious.

I will say this I have never shot someone who hasn't shot at me first.  I don't shoot people just because they don't want to drop there weapon, and this has got me shot at before and even killed before but I'm good with that I don't try to justify shooting people who run and aren't a threat to me.  I understand that some people have been robbed before and are a bit jittery around others so if they run off I don't sweat it and this concept is what, IMO, dictates if your good or bad, bandit or not.

I've wondered this. I often just avoid people if I see them and they will still try and shoot me. I'm going away from you without a gun out, do you really think I'm a threat? If you do then you are one paranoid mofo.

You get the "If I don't kill you, you'll kill me" replies. No, no I won't. I have no problem leaving this town alive and moving to the next to let you loot this one. This seems to be a hard concept for many to understand.

Edited by escobert
  • Like 1

Can you just listen to what you say and understand how that sounds?  "If you are geared I hold you up because I want a player interaction".  If you are walking down the road today and someone holds a gun to you and demands you interact with them what would you call that?  Yes, this is a game and things are a bit different because of that but to try to justify holding someone up isn't going to work IMO.  Forcing someone to interact with you at there fear of being shot is no better then banditry.

Your also changing your tune, you said earlier that if I don't drop my weapon you'll shoot me because that's a hostile act now you say you only killed survivors when they opened fire on you so what is it?  You said if someone runs they are not a friendly and you'd shoot them, but that doesn't sound like they shot you first.  Seems your doing a lot of double talk to justify your game play.  If you ask me to drop my weapon and I run and you don't shoot me that's fine, that's trying to interact and it failed and you said screw it.  You said earlier if that happens you shoot them, that's different.  So what one is it?

Oh, sense you like dictionary terms and think that a term has to follow that exactly..

hold up verb

Definition of HOLD UP
transitive verb
:  to rob at gunpoint

Hmmmm.. now you'll say that's not what you do but you used the term several times in this thread.  So are you telling me that terms like Bandit and Hold up can have slightly different meanings then the book definition?

As I said, you're new here so you don't understand.

To clarify a few things: When I said "I never killed a survivor who didn't shoot at me first", that's because in the Mod, Heroes, Survivors, and Bandits had different skins. I shot bandits on sight. I only shot survivors if they opened fire on me first, or in the defense of others.

Secondly, in response to "If I was walking down the road today..".. We don't live in a Zombie wasteland with no government, police, or security forces. DayZ is an anarchy. Many/most people are armed and many of them are dangerous. If I was a police/peace officer, and I saw an armed person walking down the street, I would hold them at gunpoint and ask them to drop their weapons before I could trust them. If I was walking down the street and someone held me at gunpoint, and asked me to drop my weapon, I would do so, because generally being shot is bad for your health.

In DayZ SA, there are no bandit or hero or survivor skins, so I have to interpret the actions of other players as either friendly, hostile, or indifferent. If you are pinned down, and someone  announces that they will shoot you if you do not drop your weapon, or if you attempt to run, and you decide to run.. well, you were warned. 

Perhaps you don't understand that this is not a fucking first person shooter free for all deathmatch. This is a survival game. If someone holds you up, you are supposed to value your character enough to go along with it, because it's more likely you will survive a hold-up than attempting to run from armed players. You probably don't understand this yet because you never played the mod. You also probably don't understand what "heroism" is in DayZ, yet, because you never played the mod. You also don't understand the lengths that players would go to in order to betray you after they asked for your help. You don't understand that being a hero is a dangerous business and is, by far, the most difficult way to play the game. 

If you don't drop your weapon, expect to be shot. It doesn't make me a bandit. It makes you someone who didn't value their character enough to act as though it was really your life on the line.

There are no rules in DayZ. There are no laws. There are no governments. There are no police forces. There are no social contracts. I'm not obligated to give you the benefit of the doubt. I'm not obligated to announce my presence to you before I shoot you. I announce my presence and ask you to cooperate for my own safety and if you can't understand that and you demand that you stay armed, then be prepared to be shot. If you aren't my friend, then we're competing for resources and I will not lose this competition. You are armed and you are operating in my AO. You are a threat until you prove otherwise. If I am holding you at gun point then I am the one in control of the situation. If you can figure out a way to hold me at gun point, then kudo's to you for outwitting me.

If you don't want player interactions, then you're playing the wrong game.

Edited by Etherimp
  • Like 1

Depends where i am, and with who.. Last time I told someone to stop, he stopped.. We talked to the guy (who was wearing a clown mask) and he seemed to be a bambi, rather then a bandid.. We asked him if he needed food/drink/medicine, he told us he was fine, and we let him go.

Mind you, at the point i told him to stop, me and my friend were behind him about 4 meters away, and we had 2 friends on the other side aiming at him that he could clearly see. If he had not stopped we would have popped some bullets in his legs, have a conversation about being polite, fixed him back up, and let him go regardless.

I mostly get KOS by unseen players, I wish I would get held up, rather then "poof" You Are Dead.. I would gladly give someone all my food/ammo/weapons, since players cannot have 2 backpacks/shirts/weapons etc.. I would have "something" to get back on my feet, rather then being a fresh spawn.

Edited by mosibfu
  • Like 1

Oh come on, with the community like it is, surrendering would be VERY bad for your health. Your chances are higher if you run. I am very surprised that you come across people who willingly drop their weapons.

(those people are very lucky that they came across you, at least)

I don't really think it matters if you are different, not in terms of how random people would interact with you, at least.

Oh come on, with the community like it is, surrendering would be VERY bad for your health. Your chances are higher if you run. I am very surprised that you come across people who willingly drop their weapons.

(those people are very lucky that they came across you, at least)

I don't really think it matters if you are different, not in terms of how random people would interact with you, at least.

I don't understand this perception of the community you have.. Yes, there are a lot of scumbags out there. There are also a lot of players who are genuinely just having fun and are more than willing to help a stranger. I've had as many positive interactions as negative ones. I've never been handcuffed and fed disinfectant. I have been shot on sight many times, but as you get better at the game you get better at avoiding that, even though it's inevitable eventually. You take it with a grain of salt and move on. If you get held up, handcuffed, and tortured, it's more entertaining for everyone if you role-play your way through it and laugh it off, than it is to get all butt hurt and defiant about it. 

Get off your "mod" high horse, bottom line is you justify shooting people that haven't shot at you and I don't.  Mod player or not it doesn't take a lot to determine who's the good guy and who's not.  You can write a thesis on what you learned from mod and it still doesn't justify shooting someone just because they run away from you.  I also love how you want me to play like my life is on the line but when I mention you holding up someone as a hostile act you want to play the "this is a zombie game" card.  If someone held you at gunpoint you'd listen to them, but you sure wouldn't think of them as a friendly would you?  Forcing someone to act as you want is being hostile, you do this because you want to and if they don't play along you shoot them.  Your right your not a bandit, your a bully or a thug call it what you want.  Just stop acting like you do it just to give people stuff because you clearly stated you do it for the player interaction, part of which allows you to shoot people for no reason.  Again you create the problem, then when things don't go as you dictate you shoot someone who may or may not be hostile and may or may not simply not want to deal with you.  I don't care how you play, just don't try to justify it when your pushing your game play on others and if they don't like it you shoot them for no reason.

Again I state I have NEVER shot someone who hasn't shot at me first, can you say the same?

• Like 1

If you get held up, handcuffed, and tortured, it's more entertaining for everyone if you role-play your way through it and laugh it off, than it is to get all butt hurt and defiant about it. 

well in this Situation, i turn to the Desktop and surf in the internet, Chat with friends or just go in the kitchen to get some Food. let the rapist have their fun. they will loose their fun when they notice that i am afk.

Aww, I'm a thug and a bully for helping people? Yeah.. Makes a lot of sense. *sigh*.. It's okay, you'll learn eventually. Or, more than likely, you'll quit playing DayZ.

When Dean introduces more infections and diseases, I'll remember that you don't like being helped by others because they're "bullying" you by forcing you to drop your fucking weapon before they approach you. Enjoy dying of infection.

Edited by Etherimp

I don't understand this perception of the community you have.. Yes, there are a lot of scumbags out there. There are also a lot of players who are genuinely just having fun and are more than willing to help a stranger. I've had as many positive interactions as negative ones. I've never been handcuffed and fed disinfectant. I have been shot on sight many times, but as you get better at the game you get better at avoiding that, even though it's inevitable eventually. You take it with a grain of salt and move on. If you get held up, handcuffed, and tortured, it's more entertaining for everyone if you role-play your way through it and laugh it off, than it is to get all butt hurt and defiant about it. 

Getting handcuffed and tortured might be YOUR idea of fun and you can roleplay what you want but that's not my idea of fun and I'd rather be shot.  I don't log in for your fun I log in for mine.  Oh and I don't get butt hurt on a game, as I said from the very first post I made on this topic I have zero problem getting gear again kill me and I'll have a blast starting over I've jumped from a building to get killed so I can start over (I don't know how you can start over other then that). I get bored once I'm fully geared there is only so much to do in this game at this time.  Call me crazy but I'll never be a willing hostage even to Robin Hood.

• Like 1

Getting handcuffed and tortured might be YOUR idea of fun and you can roleplay what you want but that's not my idea of fun and I'd rather be shot.  I don't log in for your fun I log in for mine.  Oh and I don't get butt hurt on a game, as I said from the very first post I made on this topic I have zero problem getting gear again kill me and I'll have a blast starting over I've jumped from a building to get killed so I can start over (I don't know how you can start over other then that). I get bored once I'm fully geared there is only so much to do in this game at this time.  Call me crazy but I'll never be a willing hostage even to Robin Hood.

That's your choice.. If you'd rather spawn on the coast than interact with other players, that's your call..

That's your choice.. If you'd rather spawn on the coast than interact with other players, that's your call..

so and you like to watch yourself getting raped ?  sounds way more fun.

Aww, I'm a thug and a bully for helping people? Yeah.. Makes a lot of sense. *sigh*.. It's okay, you'll learn eventually. Or, more than likely, you'll quit playing DayZ.

When Dean introduces more infections and diseases, I'll remember that you don't like being helped by others because they're "bullying" you by forcing you to drop your fucking weapon before they approach you. Enjoy dying of infection.

Still haven't answered my question, have you shot people who haven't shot you and have ran away?  We already established you don't hold up people just to help them, you hold up people who are fully geared also just for the interaction so stop saying you do it just to help people.

The irony is I never said I haven't interacted with people have I?  I actually said I have talked to people, the difference between us is I don't shoot them if they run away and I don't tell them to drop there weapon.  I'm willing to treat someone decent and not like a hostage and hope that earns trust that telling someone to drop there weapon doesn't earn.

• Like 2

Well, to be fair I haven't been victim of much bleach torture yet, I think my 3 latest deaths was falling from the ship, being shot by logging in while at what I thought was a safe spot, and being shot during a 1-minute desync...

But when it comes to my ´´perception´´ of the community it is based on what my friends, me, and pretty much everyone else once and once again experience of this game. If you are nice to people after you tell them to drop their weapons, that's nice, but you might always ask for me to drop my weapon so that you can get it undamaged, or because you want me to do a fist fight against anohter survivor because apparently that's fun on Youtube, or maybe you want to do something else horrible.

It is as you say, for every nice player, there is at least one who just wants to kill you. I don't aim this at you specifically, but something that makes me pretty angry (or at least disappointed) is when people are ´´friendly´´ and then they have their own personal list of lots of arbitrary things they want other people to do for them to not murder them horribly, like for example, having a rifle. Since as we all know, truly friendly people (with the exception of the list maker obviously) never carry firearms, or maybe it's the ballistic helmet, or an assault vest. Then they come to the forum and tell us all about how honourable they are, compared to the filthy KoS rabble who only wants to loot airfields, instead of playing the game ´´like it should be played´´.

Also, I feel like you sometimes reason like everyone acts like you do. They don't. (just so you know that)

I am asking myself, if DayZ SA would be a single-Player game and the others survivers on the map would be AIs. Would People act the same way ? i mean KOS,Raping and all the other stuff.

I dont think so.

what do you guys think.

What if they run? Do you shoot them? See that was where the line to bandit hit for me. If you force someone to interact with you and they avoid it and aren't a threat because they run off (assuming they aren't running to you with a gun) do you shoot them? The concept of do as I say or I shoot you is banditry, or if you don't like that word it's being a thug or a bully or any number of other words you can pick from. When you take what I want to do in the game away and force me to do as you want just because you want it that's being a bandit/thug/bully pick your word. I'd rather be shot and leave it be, next time I will be more cautious.

I will say this I have never shot someone who hasn't shot at me first. I don't shoot people just because they don't want to drop there weapon, and this has got me shot at before and even killed before but I'm good with that I don't try to justify shooting people who run and aren't a threat to me. I understand that some people have been robbed before and are a bit jittery around others so if they run off I don't sweat it and this concept is what, IMO, dictates if your good or bad, bandit or not.

Well if you run away no I won't shoot you

But if you run away when someone simply says hello then you have bigger problems with yourself

In fact most people run away when I say hello and I let them go as long as they arnt taking up a position with a gun and still not talking back

You have great skill in turning any post into something negative and trying to weed out and make people slip up

There is an infinite number of things that could happen like them running away, shall we go through every single possible scenario until you find some small little thing I might do that offends your code and makes me a bandit?

Watch this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WD-yn8szNbQ

I want you to watch this as me and my group encountered some people and we fired first

I want you to tell me if it was justified and if you really think this is being a bandit

And then watch this

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ttBWdguoFBI

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior
  • Like 1

I am asking myself, if DayZ SA would be a single-Player game and the others survivers on the map would be AIs. Would People act the same way ? i mean KOS,Raping and all the other stuff.

I dont think so.

what do you guys think.

Well if it was a single player game KoS would be what? Killing zombies? Or would you have AI survivors?  I am pretty sure if you had AI survivors people wouldn't randomly shoot them (providing they could be useful).  The reason people hand cuff and torture and such is to grief other real life players, that would stop because there is no fun in torturing the AI. Full PvP games will always draw at least a percentage of people who like to do nothing more then make others day on the game suck, it's the nature of the beast.  There will also be a percentage that try to do the opposite, the problem is that percentage is almost always hugely outnumbered by the ones that just want to grief.

Since as we all know, truly friendly people (with the exception of the list maker obviously) never carry firearms, or maybe it's the ballistic helmet, or an assault vest. Then they come to the forum and tell us all about how honourable they are, compared to the filthy KoS rabble who only wants to loot airfields, instead of playing the game ´´like it should be played´´.

Also, I feel like you sometimes reason like everyone acts like you do. They don't. (just so you know that)

I have shot fully geared guys off the berezino build site, those were scoping in direction of the spawn site. Walked up there to confirm kills, only to meet two fresh spawns there and feed said fresh spawns, left them with beans/canteen, and told them to come down the stairs we went down after counting to 30, i left them my fire-axe on the bottom of the stairs so they could defend themselves. I have armed bambi's before and got shot by said guns, hence this tactic.

I am heavily armed most of the time, and unless you pose a threat to me or others, I consider myself being very friendly and helpful. It is a survival game in the end, if you are a risk to my survival, I will not hesitate to shoot.. If you however, don't aim guns at me/come within axe/fist KO range... I will feed you, give you my own fire-axe if you dont have one..

Edited by mosibfu

I keep my distance but if they have a fire arm, I tell them to put it down behind cover, and if not, they die. From all the hold ups I've done, people have successfully complied to my commands. You just got to be careful and coherent when holding up people. 

Well if you run away no I won't shoot you

But if you run away when someone simply says hello then you have bigger problems with yourself

In fact most people run away when I say hello and I let them go as long as they arnt taking up a position with a gun and still not talking back

You have great skill in turning any post into something negative and trying to weed out and make people slip up

There is an infinite number of things that could happen like them running away, shall we go through every single possible scenario until you find some small little thing I might do that offends your code and makes me a bandit?

I point out the negative when someone acts like Robin Hood and then says if you don't do as they say they will shoot you yes.  See you said you say hello, you didn't say you'd tell me to drop my weapon.  Understand, not put away my weapon but drop it on the ground.  To me "hello I'm friendly" is fine I'll talk to you all day.   Drop your weapon tells me you want to cuff me and make me your sex slave (and none of us want that trust me).  It's all about how you approach the situation.  I've never ran from someone that said hello.  I never ran from someone that asked me to not point my weapon at them.  You tell me to drop my weapon on the ground you have escalated the situation to where I have to wonder what's going on.

My "your a bandit" theory starts when you shoot people who aren't a threat to you at that time.  If someone runs and you shoot them your a bandit, it wasn't KoS but they weren't a threat.  When you force people to interact with you or you shoot them, even if they haven't been actually hostile to you, your a bandit no matter what your theory was when you first saw them.  Can someone flank you after they run away? Of course they can, that's a chance I take instead of shooting them in the back when they haven't shot at me first.  It's really not a hard concept and I haven't changed up through this thread.

Say hello, I'm good.  Say don't point your gun at me, I'm good. Hell tell me not to turn around till we talk and get a feel for each other and life is grand. Any of them things and we can talk just fine.  Tell me to drop my weapon on the ground and I'm not sure what's going on and I don't see that happening.  I won't shoot you, I'll simply leave you be if I get shot in the back so be it I'll start over.

• Like 1

I point out the negative when someone acts like Robin Hood and then says if you don't do as they say they will shoot you yes. See you said you say hello, you didn't say you'd tell me to drop my weapon. Understand, not put away my weapon but drop it on the ground. To me "hello I'm friendly" is fine I'll talk to you all day. Drop your weapon tells me you want to cuff me and make me your sex slave (and none of us want that trust me). It's all about how you approach the situation. I've never ran from someone that said hello. I never ran from someone that asked me to not point my weapon at them. You tell me to drop my weapon on the ground you have escalated the situation to where I have to wonder what's going on.

My "your a bandit" theory starts when you shoot people who aren't a threat to you at that time. If someone runs and you shoot them your a bandit, it wasn't KoS but they weren't a threat. When you force people to interact with you or you shoot them, even if they haven't been actually hostile to you, your a bandit no matter what your theory was when you first saw them. Can someone flank you after they run away? Of course they can, that's a chance I take instead of shooting them in the back when they haven't shot at me first. It's really not a hard concept and I haven't changed up through this thread.

Say hello, I'm good. Say don't point your gun at me, I'm good. Hell tell me not to turn around till we talk and get a feel for each other and life is grand. Any of them things and we can talk just fine. Tell me to drop my weapon on the ground and I'm not sure what's going on and I don't see that happening. I won't shoot you, I'll simply leave you be if I get shot in the back so be it I'll start over.

Ok fair enough, I might try telling them to not just point it at me from now on, I've not been on the receiving end that much so I'll give this a try next time I run into an armed player and see what happens

The one time we met some guys they did say don't point it at them instead of disarm and I actually did feel like complying more

I just put my weapon away as manners really

Edited by Regulator Lone Warrior