Sign in to follow this  
wuffi (DayZ)

Long range scope Question?

Today i started long range sniping.

But at 800 m (for example) my bullets allways land a little bit left of the crosshair.

Is this a bug or is this because i use a "damaged" LRS?

(Its not a big problem anyway because once you know it its easy to compensate)

but i just want to know if a pristine one would also fire to the left?

They have fixed the reticle position on screen i guess, but i think you will have this problem even after the patch because its caused by the scope condition which is as you said damaged and it doesnt ocur with worn and pristine scopes, its same feature like on damaged PU(broken glass).

It's a bug with the scope, idk if they also know that the PU scope is not properly centered in the middle when it's attached to the SKS.

Edited by flygamer1

i dont personally think its a bug, and if so, they should add some 'damaged' feature to it like its on PU and other stuff

Edit: also it doesnt happed with worn and pristine scopes like OP asked

Edited by Jurionov37

I know it's not inteded but still it's not an unauthentic portrayal. If you slap a scope on a weapon IRL it's not gonna be properly sighted either. You'll have to shoot a few groups and adjust the sights  according to where the centre of your grouping is.

At 800 m your shots will be landing slightly left or right of where you aimed depending on the windage. In game I think it's intentional, and even if it isn't it's not an issue in my eyes.

The problem I have is that the mosin recoils too much for me to see where the shot has landed, so unless it's a hit and the person/zombie is down then it's hard for me to tell.

At 800 m your shots will be landing slightly left or right of where you aimed depending on the windage. In game I think it's intentional, and even if it isn't it's not an issue in my eyes.

The problem I have is that the mosin recoils too much for me to see where the shot has landed, so unless it's a hit and the person/zombie is down then it's hard for me to tell.

Yeah the mosin recoil s*cks, but when you use it with bipod + compensator you will see (at least most times because sometimes you can shoot on a wall at 500 and you will see no impact at all ;) " i guess this is a bug" your shots as long as you fire prone.

I know it's not inteded but still it's not an unauthentic portrayal. If you slap a scope on a weapon IRL it's not gonna be properly sighted either. You'll have to shoot a few groups and adjust the sights  according to where the centre of your grouping is.

But since we can only adjust our sights' elevation in the game, that's not a good feature to have.

• Like 1

Just to clarify the reticle fix has been implemented only on the experimental branch so far.  It will roll out to stable probably next week or the week after.  

I noticed this at 600 m but this was a few weeks ago ( pristine gun and scope )

I play a lot of I44 and the enfield and g43 etc have simular characteristics , i always believed it was down to the recoil of the gun. even some AR's in Arma you have to account for the recoil ( bounce of the barrell after shooting )

Even with a pristine compensator and bipod it still recoils violently. I'm not complaining, just saying it makes it harder to shoot at longer distances.

Even with a pristine compensator and bipod it still recoils violently. I'm not complaining, just saying it makes it harder to shoot at longer distances.

I like it personally, its also one of the reasons i like I44 a lot as it takes a lot of skill to use the weapons and you really need to get to know your gun. Its all about your memory, say for instance you make a lot of long range shots at a running target, you get used to where you have to lead your shots, same with the recoil.

Bullet deviation to the left is an issue with the LR scope reticule (grid) not being properly centred:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/pbqrlfwktr1yay7/Zrzut%20ekranu%202014-02-19%2012.03.08.png

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3r8y2uu3piw748k/Zrzut%20ekranu%202014-02-19%2013.22.23.png

They fixed it in the experimental patch (which is being tested right now).

Whether the scope is damaged or not has no influence on the accuracy at all, since no optics attachments have spread modifiers for any weapon in the game.

You can use a badly damaged LRS just as a pristine one.

My guess they will add a broken glass effect to the grid at some point as damage indicator. They didn't yet, because the LRS can probably support only one type of scope grid right now.

Edited by retro19

I like it personally, its also one of the reasons i like I44 a lot as it takes a lot of skill to use the weapons and you really need to get to know your gun. Its all about your memory, say for instance you make a lot of long range shots at a running target, you get used to where you have to lead your shots, same with the recoil.

Yeah but long range shots at running targets is a pain in the a$$ :)

My record is a hit on 700 meters (but i guess it took me 20 Bullets ;)

Ps: ok just got killed ;(

Now i´m a bambi again ;)

• Like 2

When did they add wind affecting your shots?

Today i started long range sniping.

But at 800 m (for example) my bullets allways land a little bit left of the crosshair.

Is this a bug or is this because i use a "damaged" LRS?

(Its not a big problem anyway because once you know it its easy to compensate)

but i just want to know if a pristine one would also fire to the left?

When using pristine scopes, I have no issues. The condition of the LRS has an effect on the location of the shot. IMO, the damage to the LRS should be both visible, (cracked lens), and invisible (not centered).