Sign in to follow this  
brazorf

Better compass inclination / visibility.

Maybe i'm doing something wrong, anyway i just found my first compass and this is how i'm using it:

- i stay in 1st person view

- equip in hand

- combat mode to force hands up

- i watch at the compass

Assuming i'm using it the right way, this would be the suggestion: couldn't that damn compass just be somehow facing the camera!? It's so much inclined that i can barely see the north arrow. This is how i see compass (stock image from google search) http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/TbIu_ISQ3Ew/maxresdefault.jpg

Image is hi-res and seems perfect, however in my case

- i am forced to lower most of video settings to get an acceptable fps

- my damn compass thingy is kinda ruined

=> i am getting blind, and lost.

Edited by brazorf
  • Like 1

Hit tab.

Right click the compass in your inventory and open it.

Once opened or if already open, right click the compass and inspect it.

ta-daaaa...

Just don't "pull a me" and have it in your shirt or pants.

Takes more zombie damage that way. Hard to read when it gets scratched up.

Hope this helps.

Uhm, ok, but i would like to look at it while in gameplay rather than stop and open a menu.

While in exploration would be quite frustrating run-stop-tab-open-compass-close inventory-run-stop-tab-etc

I'm sorry but how do you have a problem seeing that?  Is it that you want it flat facing you, because that wouldn't allow a compass to work?

Plus really the best way to get around is learn the map, and keep you sense of direction on hi alert.  If you run from the coast, know whether you are running east, or north.  Then if you turn think of what direction you are now heading in.  I always take a compass but it seems like I almost never end up using it, and when I do it's just confirming the direction I thought I was facing.

I'm sorry but how do you have a problem seeing that?  Is it that you want it flat facing you, because that wouldn't allow a compass to work?

Plus really the best way to get around is learn the map, and keep you sense of direction on hi alert.  If you run from the coast, know whether you are running east, or north.  Then if you turn think of what direction you are now heading in.  I always take a compass but it seems like I almost never end up using it, and when I do it's just confirming the direction I thought I was facing.

Well, i have another approach. I did NOT spoiler myself any map part, all i know about the game 

environment is based on what i find in game, and i just have a piece of map.  After 1 week of play

i still dont know where i am, and i like this, it's part of my way of thinking about survival :)

Anyway, in this case i think we should come to some balance between reality and gameplay. 

I'm just saying that if there's a compass in the game, and it's supposed to be an useful item,

players should be able to see where the damn arrow is pointing at.

I'm sorry but how do you have a problem seeing that?  Is it that you want it flat facing you, because that wouldn't allow a compass to work?(...)

Exactly! Currently magnetic field will not affect compass' needle properly in such position you requested.

P.S.

However Earth magnetic field is changing, please try to suggest that in couple of years, maybe than it  will be more 'immerse'. 

Edited by neobit

mmm i'll try to put it another way, given this approach to realism.

Think about real world. I am lost, i don't know where to go, but hey, i found a compass! Since it's not working while placed vertically,

i will keep it horizontal and at my nose level, so that i would not be able to see it, or maybe i would keep it horizontal but BELOW my head

so that i can have a flat view?

Uhm, ok, but i would like to look at it while in gameplay rather than stop and open a menu.

While in exploration would be quite frustrating run-stop-tab-open-compass-close inventory-run-stop-tab-etc

Have you ever actually used a compass? Honestly I feel lucky that we are able to keep moving while looking at it and keep an accurate reading.

Edit: Plus I also don't really see an issue with being able to see which direction a compass is facing ingame, even if it is badly damaged.

Edited by ChekovP

Drop the compass and use the sun/moon. Been done for thousands of years, just learn how, is easy. It's also a useful transferable skills to have.

Just a little addon.

I found a brand-new pristine compass and i must say things are going better. I still believe we can have a better view of it, anyway it is at least usable when pristine.

To understand what i was saying... try a 'badly damaged' compass and let me know ;)